Author Topic: So, where are the color sketches hiding?  (Read 55545 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: So, where are the color sketches hiding?
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »
Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110533823815&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

How high will it go? Just a few hours left.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110533823815&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

How high will it go? Just a few hours left.
It's getting crazy. 20+ color sketches have seen the light of day but collectors want to hold on to one sealed box because it might have a future value. I think the value is now!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2010, 04:00:31 AM »
Anyone here the new owner of color Koduck?

Offline Kook

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
Anyone here the new owner of color Koduck?

Whoever won the Koduck is also the new owner of the nitwit, which went for $535! I think that's a new nitwit record. I guess someone new Leslie's previous bidding limits & definitely sniped her in the last few seconds.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2010, 07:50:15 AM »
$1,636.00??

WOW!!  When I posted that original post it was at 960. with 2 hours left. Never thought it would end up that high. I kinda figured it would break the grand mark, but didn't think it would go that high!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »
It's getting crazy. 20+ color sketches have seen the light of day but collectors want to hold on to one sealed box because it might have a future value. I think the value is now!
Can you site one example of someone who actually said this?  You continue to quote this as if you have a large sample size of collectors who have said they are keeping sealed boxes for future value and I have yet to find a single person who has said this.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
Whoever won the Koduck is also the new owner of the nitwit, which went for $535! I think that's a new nitwit record. I guess someone new Leslie's previous bidding limits & definitely sniped her in the last few seconds.
A b&w halfwit went on ebay for $551.01 on April 28th, I believe to Leslie: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150436580167&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The color Koduck sketch is really nice, a Wacky collector somewhere had a good day yesterday!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:24:11 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
Can you site one example of someone who actually said this?  You continue to quote this as if you have a large sample size of collectors who have said they are keeping sealed boxes for future value and I have yet to find a single person who has said this.

Here's your one example:
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=314.msg6821#msg6821

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
Here's your one example:
I kind of got the idea that Playskull was keeping one box sealed to continue a run of sealed boxes, not necessarily because he expected the box to surge in value.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
I kind of got the idea that Playskull was keeping one box sealed to continue a run of sealed boxes, not necessarily because he expected the box to surge in value.

Sorry, guess that wasn't really future value. I get some non forum member emails also so it can get a bit confusing if someone stated it on the forum or in an email to me. You will also see examples of this on ebay. A few people waited until Topps ran out and then started selling the sealed boxes.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
That's exactly right.  Hell, I'm the same guy who recently said on one of the forums that NOW is the time to cash in on Old School while they are hot. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
we have only tracked about 1500 boxes on the forum. I wonder how long it will take for the other colors to show up? You would think with the color prices they would show up fairly quickly but some of these collectors might not be checking ebay as frequently as I do ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2010, 10:12:06 AM »
we have only tracked about 1500 boxes on the forum. I wonder how long it will take for the other colors to show up? You would think with the color prices they would show up fairly quickly but some of these collectors might not be checking ebay as frequently as I do ;)
Some of those collectors just might like what they got enough to keep it!  Non-sports collectors are used to expensive autograph and costume cards, etc. and pulling something like this could simply be adding to their collection, and not be looked upon as a cash bonanza.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:18:04 AM by RawGoo »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
Here's your one example:
HUH????  He says he kept a sealed box to go with all of his other sealed boxes.  Your statement is that everyone is keeping sealed boxes due to their claiming they feel they will be great investments.  Not only do I not see everyone saying this, I am hard pressed to find ANYONE who is saying this.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
Sorry, guess that wasn't really future value. I get some non forum member emails also so it can get a bit confusing if someone stated it on the forum or in an email to me. You will also see examples of this on ebay. A few people waited until Topps ran out and then started selling the sealed boxes.
Selling sealed boxes after Topps ran out doesn't correlate to their keeping sealed boxes NOW for the future. Maybe you have one email from one non-forum member that you have applied to everyone?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »
Selling sealed boxes after Topps ran out doesn't correlate to their keeping sealed boxes NOW for the future. Maybe you have one email from one non-forum member that you have applied to everyone?

I know scarylee and one of the new guys on the forum (he ordered 60 boxes). I also know that socaldad2b and Jeff caff have sealed boxes to sell. There is also another eBay seller that kept his boxes until topps ran out. So no it's not everyone but there are the guys that held them to sell after Topps ran out.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »
Haven't you also notice that price for boxes keeps going up? Jeff sold one for $90 and now he is up to $115. I think these prices are crazy and I won't partake. I will just wait for the good stuff to show up, if it does? You get a little burned out when you get in 26 boxes and don't pull anything. I can't imagine buying boxes at lease prices to pull an Aquax.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »
I know scarylee and one of the new guys on the forum (he ordered 60 boxes). I also know that socaldad2b and Jeff caff have sealed boxes to sell. There is also another eBay seller that kept his boxes until topps ran out. So no it's not everyone but there are the guys that held them to sell after Topps ran out.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »

Hey.  I'm still trying to grasp this posting stuff, so bare with me if I screw up.  I opened the 4 oddball boxes out of the 60 but just got 4 commons.  For now I'm keeping the 2 sealed cases of 28 boxes each--not necessarily because I hope to sell them at a profit, but maybe just open them in 6 months or so because it would be neat to do that.  I know, that sounds crazy, buy I have been called a weirdo  :P  Wheather (if) I pull a color now or 6 months from now, it's still in my possesion and I would not necessarily sell it. I just don't see the urgency to open them unless I'm trying to recoup my money and list sketches or sets on EBAY. I already do have an offer for some of the boxes at a decent profit, but declined to sell.  Who knows, maybe I'll get an outrageous offer because a certain color sketch hasn't popped up and someone thinks it may be in a case that I own.   

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
Hey.  I'm still trying to grasp this posting stuff, so bare with me if I screw up.  I opened the 4 oddball boxes out of the 60 but just got 4 commons.  For now I'm keeping the 2 sealed cases of 28 boxes each--not necessarily because I hope to sell them at a profit, but maybe just open them in 6 months or so because it would be neat to do that.  I know, that sounds crazy, buy I have been called a weirdo  :P  Wheather (if) I pull a color now or 6 months from now, it's still in my possesion and I would not necessarily sell it. I just don't see the urgency to open them unless I'm trying to recoup my money and list sketches or sets on EBAY. I already do have an offer for some of the boxes at a decent profit, but declined to sell.  Who knows, maybe I'll get an outrageous offer because a certain color sketch hasn't popped up and someone thinks it may be in a case that I own.   
And unless something has changed OLDS 2 will be out in october......Halloween related bonus stuff ?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2010, 07:40:35 AM »
Haven't you also notice that price for boxes keeps going up? Jeff sold one for $90 and now he is up to $115. I think these prices are crazy and I won't partake. I will just wait for the good stuff to show up, if it does? You get a little burned out when you get in 26 boxes and don't pull anything. I can't imagine buying boxes at lease prices to pull an Aquax.

I have unopened WOS I boxes due to my laziness, not getting around to open them up...but this is a good thing..what's the chances of any other 'color sketches' showing up?? slim to none...

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »
I have unopened WOS I boxes due to my laziness, not getting around to open them up...but this is a good thing..what's the chances of any other 'color sketches' showing up?? slim to none...
Actualy I think they're pretty good!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline bandaches

« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »
Are you saying your theory that saved boxes won't go up in value is wrong?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »
Are you saying your theory that saved boxes won't go up in value is wrong?
My only theory is that the boxes will probably get about $90-$100 average but if you pulled a color you could sell it for $1200+. So why hang on to boxes?
You must have your own theory coming from a guy that only bought 7 boxes.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Speaking strictly from an economic standpoint, if an unopened box averages $90-$100 now and in the future, that's quite a profit from the original purchase price--one could do a lot worse!  Referring to opening a box and possibly finding a color sketch or selling that box for $100, "A bird in the hand..." as the saying goes.  I can only speak for myself in saying, profit is a very small part, if any, of why I collect wackys.  Having said that, I do wonder if unopened Olds 1 will at least sell for issue price when Olds 2 comes out and is hot?? 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
Speaking strictly from an economic standpoint, if an unopened box averages $90-$100 now and in the future, that's quite a profit from the original purchase price--one could do a lot worse!  Referring to opening a box and possibly finding a color sketch or selling that box for $100, "A bird in the hand..." as the saying goes.  I can only speak for myself in saying, profit is a very small part, if any, of why I collect wackys.  Having said that, I do wonder if unopened Olds 1 will at least sell for issue price when Olds 2 comes out and is hot??  

Why did you order 60 boxes? Are you going to open them or sell them for a profit? Your going to do one or the other ;)
I think they are hot now but once olds2 comes out people will probably go for whatever inset are in those. I don't have any idea of future value for the boxes after the craze dies off.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
My only theory is that the boxes will probably get about $90-$100 average but if you pulled a color you could sell it for $1200+. So why hang on to boxes?
I guess we really can't trust your box tally too much eh?  I bought 12 or 13 boxes.  I bought Old School to enjoy them, imagine that!  It is tiresome that with every wacky pack set, the first 90 seconds are spent on discussing the sets and the rest of the year is discussing their value.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Aren't your math skills stronger than this?

If the odds of pulling a colored sketch is 50-1 ie 2% and the yield is $1500, then the return is $30, you need $70 of a combo of other value in the box or other possibly big pulls.  Let's assume it is 4% chance of pulling umbrella or Yuk of $600 value, that adds only $24 to the return. Bottom line, based on simple statistics, $100 is far too much.  Why aren't you a buyer of boxes at $100 if you think it is such a steal?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »
I guess we really can't trust your box tally too much eh?  I bought 12 or 13 boxes.  I bought Old School to enjoy them, imagine that!  It is tiresome that with every wacky pack set, the first 90 seconds are spent on discussing the sets and the rest of the year is discussing their value.

It's all discussion. No one knows what value any cards will have but it is fun discussing it. The card box thread shows that there are about 2000 boxes unaccounted for.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »
Since I started re-collection during the ANS period, I too keep at least 1 unopened box from each series. ANS 1 to present including OLDS1.

Not for profit or future value (although you can't count that out). But I just like to open Wacky Packs. I am still putting together sets of ANS and still get a little thrill when I pull that last card or cards that I need to finish a set.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
And unless something has changed OLDS 2 will be out in october......Halloween related bonus stuff ?

Since ANS2010 got pushed back to August 7 from July 7 I would guess OLDS2 would not be allowed to come out until November as they told me they want a 3 month space between them.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2010, 12:13:50 AM »
It is tiresome that with every wacky pack set, the first 90 seconds are spent on discussing the sets and the rest of the year is discussing their value.

Yeah, seriously.
I still have about 10 sealed boxes that I have no certain plans for other than to know I have them. 

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:40 AM »
Yeah, seriously.
I still have about 10 sealed boxes that I have no certain plans for other than to know I have them. 

I'm in the same boat with my sealed boxes.  If the spirit moves me then I'll open them, if not I won't.  Either way I still have the wackys.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
Nothing new on ebay. I don't care if they were available for sale. I'm just curious as to who has them.