Author Topic: So, where are the color sketches hiding?  (Read 55550 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
So, where are the color sketches hiding?
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »
I have been on vacation this week and thought I would have heard of a few new color sketches showing up. Topps is down to about 500 boxes and new colors have surfaced. What is the count of colors now up to? 12?

Offline Playskull

Re: So, where are the color sketches hiding?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »
Well, I’m planning on leaving at least one box sealed.  And I’m sure there are lots of other collectors out there who will leave at least one sealed.  So, unfortunately, there will likely be some undiscovered gems.  Then again, if there is an undiscovered sketch out there that some collector is willing to pay BIG bucks for, how tempting would it be for some of us to kill our sealed boxes??  By the way, has the colored Batz vampire been pulled yet?  I would love to have that one.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:02:56 AM by Playskull »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
Well, I’m planning on leaving at least one box sealed.  And I’m sure there are lots of other collectors out there who will leave at least one sealed.  So, unfortunately, there will likely be some undiscovered gems.  Then again, if there is an undiscovered sketch out there that some collector is willing to pay BIG bucks for, how tempting would it be for some of us to kill our sealed boxes??  By the way, has the colored Batz vampire been pulled yet?  I would love to have that one.
I would like to keep a sealed box, but just don't know that I'll be able to do that.......

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
I would like to keep a sealed box, but just don't know that I'll be able to do that.......
It takes some pretty good will power when there are rare cards involved....

Offline Playskull

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
Be strong, Pat .... be strong.
 ^-^

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
It takes some pretty good will power when there are rare cards involved....
No Doubt, I bought another box just to keep sealed, but I crumbled durring a "WEAK WACKY" moment!!!LOL :]
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »
Be strong, Pat .... be strong.
 ^-^
I am weak.....  BUT, I just pulled a b&w Batz sketch!!!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:13:33 PM by RawGoo »

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
Congatulations! ;)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:29:13 PM »
Congatulations! ;)
Thanks Ron!

Unfortunately, in my continued weakness, and feeling like I was on a roll, I opened another box, and no red envelope (or poster).  I DID get a 25th pack of stickers, but I don't consider that quite adequate.  The next box had a poster, but no red envelope.  Guess I'll be calling Topps on Monday.  And, I'm definitely opening all boxes now, while Topps can make this right!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:32:04 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Playskull

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
I'm my best Napoleon Dynamite voice:

"LUCKY."

Awesome pull, Pat!  Congrats!  Jay just mentioned on the other forum how he thinks he did around 80 of those.  I thought they were a bit more scarce than that.  That vampire just doesn't seem to turn up very often.  I'm thinking there have only been a dozen or so confirmed b&w vampires so far.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
Thanks Ron!

Unfortunately, in my continued weakness, and feeling like I was on a roll, I opened another box, and no red envelope (or poster).  I DID get a 25th pack of stickers, but I don't consider that quite adequate.  The next box had a poster, but no red envelope.  Guess I'll be calling Topps on Monday.  And, I'm definitely opening all boxes now, while Topps can make this right!

You can get a cheap scale that measures up to just three pounds and weigh your boxes. That's how I know all my sealed boxes have the extras in them. Without the envelope of extras there would be a noticeable difference in weight.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
Thanks Ron!

That stinks! :-[

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
Well, I’m planning on leaving at least one box sealed.  By the way, has the colored Batz vampire been pulled yet?  I would love to have that one.

I bet I know where the colored Batz is ;D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
I bet I know where the colored Batz is ;D
Picture ;)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
I have 6 sealed boxes in my collection right now.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:15 AM »
I applaud your self-restraint! 

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 05:30:49 AM »
With so many people reporting that they are being shorted the envelope in their boxes, it would be hard for me to keep any sealed unless I could tell for sure the envelope was in there.  I think I remember somebody saying that you could possibly tell through the sealed plastic if the envelope was in the box?  Also the weighing method might be prudent as well.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »
With so many people reporting that they are being shorted the envelope in their boxes, it would be hard for me to keep any sealed unless I could tell for sure the envelope was in there.  I think I remember somebody saying that you could possibly tell through the sealed plastic if the envelope was in the box?  Also the weighing method might be prudent as well.
I also remember someone saying that they could tell through the plastic whether the envelope was there.  After the first box without an envelope or poster yesterday, I tried to look in the remaining 3, and I couldn't tell for sure, so I opened them   Sure enough, another had a poster, but no envelope.  Maybe the color "This Crud's for You" Cap'n Crud sketch that I was hoping for was supposed to be in there  ??? 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:43 AM »
I may resort to the weighing approach just to be sure.  I couldn't figure out how to peek through the seal like the one poster suggested you could.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
Picture ;)

No, I don't have it. I meant that I bet Playskull has the colored Batz in his unopened box.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:53:37 PM by Moron Salt »

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »

Yup, I was one of the inquiree's . I still have 2 unopened boxes. I had stated early on that this discovery (or non-discovery) of the red envelope being missing in some unopened boxes was very disturbing on a number of levels. I was tempted to tear into my boxes immediately until I read some posts here. The best method (I found) was a suggestion I believe that Scary Lee made. You can PEEK into the box's right or left edge without tearing the plastic seal. You need to be in very good light daylight or use a flashlight. You may also have to shake the box slightly to get the red envelope on the surface to move toward the side of the box that you are trying to PEEK into. Fortunately for me I did see that my unopened boxes both have the Red Envelopes inside so there was no need for me to contact Topps about it. I think it was our latest member Jay (with the new baby) that first posted about being shorted the Red Envelope.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
I see the chicken fat sold for $1650. I guess the pricing has gone up :o

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »
I see the chicken fat sold for $1650. I guess the pricing has gone up :o

Really?  Man, I can't believe those prices.  It's close to original art.  It's amazing the affect one person can have on prices. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
Really?  Man, I can't believe those prices.  It's close to original art.  It's amazing the affect one person can have on prices.  
No doubt! I got the "Sketch Art" & the "Color Rough" (John Pound) for (Scrawny) about a year ago both for $175! I wonder what I could get for them now??? :^)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Really?  Man, I can't believe those prices.  It's close to original art.  It's amazing the affect one person can have on prices. 
Who is the one person you are referring to?

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 07:23:26 AM »
I believe he is talking about "Jay Lynch" ? :^)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
 :-[

Leslie Lindholm.  If she wants something lately she gets it, and she's apparently big into the sketch cards.   

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »
I believe he is talking about "Jay Lynch" ? :^)

Jay's the man but I was speaking more to the market of purchasing and bidding prices up.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Jay's the man but I was speaking more to the market of purchasing and bidding prices up.
Oh well, I'm wrong again...what a shock! LOL :]

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
I think there has only been about 15 or 16 known color finds so far. I don't know how many boxes Topps has left but that would mean there is still about 30+ colored and, going by the sketch poster, about another dozen one-off's that haven't surfaced. The one I got yesterday wasn't on the poster so we don't know how many one-off's Jay sketched.
If I had unopened boxes I would want to tear through those now!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
Wonder if we'll be able to calculate the probability of a sketch card of an unopened box. I guess we need all the data. How many boxes were made - verses - how many found, what title and color or B&W Sketch cards that we know of ??  At least we know it's one per box. (supposed to be)
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
I am sure many were pulled that were not displayed online, so it would be really hard to figure out what's left.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
I am sure many were pulled that were not displayed online, so it would be really hard to figure out what's left.

It's hard to tell because word has been getting out of collectors finding colors that are not forum members and such. With the prices they are fetching you would think they would surface. These are HOT right now!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »
that's true, but some collector's are very private about what they have. I'm just saying trying to figure out an odds ratio to what's left is impossible.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
It's hard to tell because word has been getting out of collectors finding colors that are not forum members and such. With the prices they are fetching you would think they would surface. These are HOT right now!

I wondered the same thing. That's why I posed the controversial question of why forum members are more willing to sell their hot Wacky items than non-forum members. Nobody wants to take a crack at answering that.