Author Topic: Copyright status of ludlow image  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Copyright status of ludlow image
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
Just curious if there had been any discussion about the legality of Topps printing the ludlow image on new wackys. Obviously the company (if it even exists anymore or in whatever form) probably could care less, but I'm just curious if anything about the legality of this use was discussed behind the scenes. Couldn't find any such discussion with a quick search.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
Re: Copyright status of ludlow image
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
Was thinking the same thing when I originally saw them. My guess was: (1) the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it; (2) Topps had changed the image slightly (but to me it looks the same).

But then I was also wondering how Topps can re-issue stickers that were originally withdrawn due to a cease and desist letter. :)

Offline chipereno

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :]
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :sad:
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :-[
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :great:
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it ;)
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :^)
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :D
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it >(
the company no longer exists and there is no legal entity to challenge it :o
Just my guess....
I asked and i was told.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
Just curious if there had been any discussion about the legality of Topps printing the ludlow image on new wackys. Obviously the company (if it even exists anymore or in whatever form) probably could care less, but I'm just curious if anything about the legality of this use was discussed behind the scenes. Couldn't find any such discussion with a quick search.

Dave mentioned that they researched it and since the company was no longer, there was no issue. Sorry... at work currently so don't have time to go back and find and quote the post.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
or they could be sued by the "Order of Camels" which was founded in Milwaukee in 1920.  :P

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »
Dave mentioned that they researched it and since the company was no longer, there was no issue. Sorry... at work currently so don't have time to go back and find and quote the post.

Would appreciate if you could dig it up when you have a minute. The only quote I could find from Dave was in the OLDS2 spoiler thread from a year ago, in which he stated OLDS3 would NOT be ludlow because of potential copyright issues.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:39:28 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
Doing a trademark search, it would appear that The Ludlow trademark expired in 2005:

http://www.trademarkia.com/ludlow-73318263.html

Don't know what that means legally exactly, but my guess would be that it's not protected from use by others.

I'd also be curious if Topps, now having used it in a commercial manner, could file their own trademark of the Ludlow camel? 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist