Author Topic: Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five  (Read 33537 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »

Almost the perfect wacky, i just didnt get the "senseless" part.  One of my favs in the set!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »

Didnt fully appreciate the lid til seeing the art!!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
Why "um" instead of "em"?

Yeah, umm? Would of nailed it better.  :D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:42 AM »
Why "um" instead of "em"?

'em' would actually make more senses since it's short for them. You are dealing with Wacky's here and they rarely make sense ;D

Offline bandaches

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »
'em' would actually make more senses since it's short for them. You are dealing with Wacky's here and they rarely make sense ;D
Hence I don't get the um and um gag at all.  "Um" is usually a sarcastic way of calling attention to something....

Offline WheeljackDude

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2012, 01:50:35 AM »

Love this one. The lady looks like Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter!

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This one is great.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:05:34 PM by Hawaiian punks »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
Here are the rough concepts I contributed. It was fun to work on this set.  Of course, Dave painted the finals.

I like the idea of putting the 1 on the other end.

I can see why the word Dry was left off because Dry Bang can be interpreted a whole different way.

This was the first concept for Cling Freek.

This was submitted two different ways for an ANS set and was finally accepted for Old School 3.

I was able to remain pretty faithful to the celebs appearing on the cover.

Mr. Babble was originally submitted for an ANS set so that's why the packaging is so different.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
Bummer, dry bang would have been awesome!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Bummer, dry bang would have been awesome!

Maybe when somebody finally organizes an "Adult" Wacky set. :sign17: :040:

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
Mark, these are awesome! 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Why was Paul Michael Glaser (from Starsky and Hutch) on the original Tiger Beat cover replaced with David Cassidy on the Tiger Eat spoof? The caption could have read "Mauled Michael Glaser." I also noticed the title box in the upper left corner is pink. The box is actually red. The cover photo used was a faded copy. I'm not trying to nitpick. I'm just bored...waiting for the next set of postcards!!!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:18:30 PM by Swiski »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Why was Paul Michael Glaser (from Starsky and Hutch) on the original Tiger Beat cover replaced with David Cassidy on the Tiger Eat spoof? The caption could have read "Mauled Michael Glaser." I also noticed the title box in the upper left corner is pink. The box is actually red. The cover photo used was a faded copy. I'm not trying to nitpick. I'm just bored...waiting for the next set of postcards!!!

I just figured David Cassidy was a better-known heart throb and worthy of being attacked by a tiger.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
I just figured David Cassidy was a better-known heart throb and worthy of being attacked by a tiger.

And, I heard, he tasted like chicken.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline WheeljackDude

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »

Whenever I see this, that makes me want to see the parody of the Bionic Woman figure (Yes, Bionic Woman is a spin off) in the future.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »
Whenever I see this, that makes me want to see the parody of the Bionic Woman figure (Yes, Bionic Woman is a spin off) in the future.

Here's one with the new mission purse...LOL

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
Here's one with the new mission purse...LOL

whoa that is some loaded mission purse she has.

comb, brush, mirror, pretend cosmetics and cosmetic case.

oh and pretend credit cards.

everything a sensible, modern bionic woman needs for secret missions.  :]

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
Now that I've finished my set and looked at the larger images...

* Meow Mess is very impressive from the artwork standpoint. It must have taken a lot of time to get all the details on the cats. This was one I was glad to see enlarged so I could really see the detail.

* Preparation H-Bomb has a laugh-out-loud gag. Loved it from the start.

* I can remember the $100,000 bar, either the wrapper or the commercial, featuring a guy with the bar. Dave must have remembered him well because his character painting definitely resembles him.

* If I remember the name correctly of the product Stake-Ummm parodied, it's "Steak-Ummm," hence why it may not have been changed that much.

* Souse Trap really looks good enlarged as well, ditto for Homely Comb.

Thanks for sharing the images and roughs, Dave and Mark.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
Sorry I have not been on here more but I'm very busy with OLDS4 and lots of life stuff.

Would like to hear opinions on the series concerning the structure. How do people like the Lud, tan, whites, what did you think of the chase cards, the art, gags, etc. Working on the plans for OLDS4 now.

Here is a rejected OLDS4 rough:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
and another which related to my kidney stone adventure in November...

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
and another...

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
I think this one was rejected by Topps lawyers  ;)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2012, 02:58:30 AM »
Sorry I have not been on here more but I'm very busy with OLDS4 and lots of life stuff.

Would like to hear opinions on the series concerning the structure. How do people like the Lud, tan, whites, what did you think of the chase cards, the art, gags, etc. Working on the plans for OLDS4 now.

I really enjoyed the series.  The sets with different backs were fun to assemble, and it was fantastic to get the stickers of die cuts.  Lipoff Tea was a special treat!  With the logo cards, any chance there could be stickers of the original Wacky logo?

Overall, I really liked the art and gags.  I've already made magnets of several.  The poster is cool, with nice artwork, and I'm looking forward to putting a set of stickers on it.  The only thing that has held me back is the size.

Looking forward to Old School 4!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »
I really enjoyed the series.  The sets with different backs were fun to assemble, and it was fantastic to get the stickers of die cuts.  Lipoff Tea was a special treat!  With the logo cards, any chance there could be stickers of the original Wacky logo?

Overall, I really liked the art and gags.  I've already made magnets of several.  The poster is cool, with nice artwork, and I'm looking forward to putting a set of stickers on it.  The only thing that has held me back is the size.

Looking forward to Old School 4!

As seems to be the trend, I agree with RawGoo on almost all these issues. The main point I differ on is that I won't be using the poster and wouldn't miss it next go 'round. But I really liked the different backs and the die cut subset. In addition to stickers of the original Wacky logo, I'd love to see stickers of unopened packs and the original series box art.

Thanks for a great set and thanks for posting the rejected roughs!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
As seems to be the trend, I agree with RawGoo on almost all these issues. The main point I differ on is that I won't be using the poster and wouldn't miss it next go 'round. But I really liked the different backs and the die cut subset. In addition to stickers of the original Wacky logo, I'd love to see stickers of unopened packs and the original series box art.

Thanks for a great set and thanks for posting the rejected roughs!

I was going to ask for an album to stick stickers in next time, but figured that would be too expensive.   Guess I just enjoy sticking my Wackys  :-\

I'm going to bring a poster to my friend's house along with a set of stickers, and spend some time with her boys sticking the stickers.  Hopefully then we'll be allowed to put it up on the wall in their playroom in the basement.  Even if that gets nixed, I think the kids will get a big kick out of playing with the stickers and poster.  And, what better way to use up extra Wackys than by giving them to little kids to stick? 

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
and it was fantastic to get the stickers of die cuts.  Lipoff Tea was a special treat! 
agree that it was great to get the die-cuts as stickers, although I'll admit I was a bit disappointed that they were just the "Flashback 9" set. While Cracked Animals may never happen due to a lack of a quality image, some of the others are around.
Overall I enjoyed this set a lot. Opened far more packs than I had for the prior series, which was good thing.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
I really enjoyed opening and collating this series. Great fun!  :great:

I agree with RawGoo that I'd rather have an album available (maybe as a separate purchase?) as I am not that fond of posters (I have nowhere to put them and I don't like the creases, etc.). I would have purchased an album to put some extra stickers in to actually stick them (like I did as a kid) and see them in an interesting context (like the poster's art or earlier album's art did). Fun and portable!

I agree with DrSushi that I'd prefer to have something other than the three colored Wacky Logos, and I was thinking pictures of the original unopened packs too (great minds think alike!). I also still like the idea of pictures of gum -- or better yet: a scratch-and-sniff card of the original gum smell (complete with real sugar and none of those toxic artificial sweeteners) as a one per box deal. Wouldn't that be cool?!

I liked having an Old School set of chase cards, but it drives me crazy when there are 10 of a chase set. 9 is perfect for displaying in binder pages but 10 is pure evil. This is a pet peeve of mine (can you tell?).

I would love to have multiple puzzles -- maybe three -- as I (like others) am always ending up with TONS of the same puzzles. Or make these multiple puzzles do something interesting like e.g. if it were three of the Hippy Days there could be three different versions of Hippy Days: one just like the card, one slightly different, and another even more different. This could be like the way the original Wacky Posters differed from the stickers. Or what about doing a puzzle for each base card? Now THAT would make them interesting!

The back variations were superb imo, and having two variations of the Ludlows was brilliant. Originally I was hoping for a red Ludlow set but then I think that will make collecting too hard, so I would stay just the way you did. It was "obtainable" by most people here and not crazy (like the Golds and the ANS8 Silvers which turned me off).

Intentional error cards could be a good idea, but I'm afraid of the permutations at the same time. ;)

Still hoping for a parallel set of the base cards (all 33) in postcard size -- preferably as postcards (not stickers). Would be great to really appreciate the AMAZING artwork that cannot be completely seen in miniature, PLUS you could actually MAIL them to people to increase Wacky Awareness. How's that for a great idea? :)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »

This series was by far the most fun to open and sort than the prior two.  I thought the back variations were cool.  It would have been neat if the Luds were about twice as rare as the whites, but there are nice nonetheless. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
I really enjoyed opening and collating this series. Great fun!  :great:

I also still like the idea of pictures of gum -- or better yet: a scratch-and-sniff card of the original gum smell (complete with real sugar and none of those toxic artificial sweeteners) as a one per box deal. Wouldn't that be cool?!

I liked having an Old School set of chase cards, but it drives me crazy when there are 10 of a chase set. 9 is perfect for displaying in binder pages but 10 is pure evil. This is a pet peeve of mine (can you tell?).

I would love to have multiple puzzles -- maybe three -- as I (like others) am always ending up with TONS of the same puzzles. Or make these multiple puzzles do something interesting like e.g. if it were three of the Hippy Days there could be three different versions of Hippy Days: one just like the card, one slightly different, and another even more different. This could be like the way the original Wacky Posters differed from the stickers. Or what about doing a puzzle for each base card? Now THAT would make them interesting!

Instead of a scratch & sniff (which would be cool by the way) why not use real sticks of gum like the old days?  It seems many aren't crazy about the poster, so if they nix that they can use the money to put into the cost of gum and insertion into the packs!

10 to a subset drives me nuts too.  It makes it so hard to display them in a manner that makes sense and looks nice.  Same problem with the 55-card ANS series.  They don't seem to plan their series for 9-pocket pages but I bet that's how the majority of collectors display them.

I would love to see a puzzle variation of some sort.  I would 3/4 the series with all 33 titles and then 1/4 removing one title from the set and take it off the checklists.  That would create a Pupsi-like card and a variation puzzle that would be tougher to get but not impossible. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
 Old school 3 is the best so far in that series, love the back variations. I cant wait to see what will come next. For all who made this possible, a big, Mahalo Nui Loa.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »

Thanks for posting the rejected roughs, those are super cool. Also, I agree with the masses, this is the best Old School Series yet. Loved the luds and collecting the back variations. Also, I wasn't crazy about the poster, but I do like the "scene" on it, it reminds me alot of the Mad magazine style of drawing.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
Thanks for posting the rejected roughs, those are super cool. Also, I agree with the masses, this is the best Old School Series yet. Loved the luds and collecting the back variations. Also, I wasn't crazy about the poster, but I do like the "scene" on it, it reminds me alot of the Mad magazine style of drawing.

What are we supposed to do with these posters anyway? Put them on our bedroom wall. :^)
They are really quite useless, why not throw in an olds 3 postcard or something.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2012, 09:21:12 PM »

Loved the OLDS3 set.  Art and gags were 100% on point...except maybe stake-umm should be stake-emm.  Not too much interest in back variations, but I can understand most people liking all the back variations to keep their interest and the collecting juices flowing.

The quality of this set made me buy a binder and then an extra set to put in the binder.  Then I bought a sealed box hahaha so you can see I caught the bug.  I hope you keep making these.  I can see the sketches are a big driver of sales for Topps so I am all for it to keep the consumption high enough to justify additional series.  Too bad the artists can't share somehow in the secondary market sales for them.

I think this one was rejected by Topps lawyers  ;)

What if you didn't tell us this and released it then pulled it hahaha it would be like the old days.  Another pupsi-cola. 

Also 10 card chase sets suck hahaha!  Hello! people put their stickers in 9-pocket sheets!  Please keep this in mind.

Scratch 'n sniff gum cards?? Never thought of it...kinda weird but maybe good for one or two packs, but then it would get old like the logo stickers so maybe 1 per box??  Gum in the pack?  It sounds great I guess but I am meh on it...It is an extra expense and I would rather have the series continue with art and gags if the savings from not having gum in the pack makes some economic difference.

I see a lot of people having sooooo many extra sets after getting the sketches and opening all their boxes.  We need something to do with these stickers.  A sticker album would be awesome!

God I know this is impossible but wax wrappers would make the series so much more authentic.  I read that the machines to do this are no longer available so it sucks but when I bought the box the cello? wrappers and styro-foam block seemed out of place with the whole experience.  I understand economics and manufacturing realities have to be acknowledged though.

Overall you are doing great with old school.  I am loving this renaissance and hope it continues for a long time.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:03 AM »
I'm still laughing over the "only 1/2 ounce...so sue us!" line...GENIUS!