Author Topic: Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five  (Read 33297 times)

Offline MadMike

Re: Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
I think this one was rejected by Topps lawyers  ;)

This title is brilliant.  The more I look at it, the more it bothers me that they turned it down.  Love the ambulance chasing and the 1/2 ounce line.  The whole concept is brilliant.

Too bad for us.  We lose.  Final Score: Topps 1  Customers 0

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »
I'm still laughing over the "only 1/2 ounce...so sue us!" line...GENIUS!

Shyster Cola and SnailCaps are both really good imo. Don't understand why they would be rejected.

I like Rob's idea of pulling a title part way in, but I would definitely prefer if it were replaced with another title, although I know this is more work (since you need 34 titles to begin with). Doing this 3/4ths of the way through seems like a good idea too.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
This title is brilliant.  The more I look at it, the more it bothers me that they turned it down.  Love the ambulance chasing and the 1/2 ounce line.  The whole concept is brilliant.

Too bad for us.  We lose.  Final Score: Topps 1  Customers 0

Brilliant on another level too. It's not just a good wacky, it also totally FITS the Old School theme, and once again, could of even been a card from back in the day !

Shyster and Snail Caps !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
[...]
Would like to hear opinions on the series concerning the structure. How do people like the Lud, tan, whites, what did you think of the chase cards, the art, gags, etc. Working on the plans for OLDS4 now.
[...]
I would just like to add that the art on the poster is fantastic.  Kinda a Wally Wood, Bill Elder feel to it.  Real eye candy!  I can't disagree that the poster format is a bit challenging -- especially in a small New York apartment.  But the design and execution of the image are so strong, I wanted to give that a shout out.  

Offline Porkie

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
I agree the artwork in the poster is top notch. Would have loved to have this in an 8 1/2" x 11" album so I could store it (filled with Wackys) with all my binders.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
I agree the artwork in the poster is top notch. Would have loved to have this in an 8 1/2" x 11" album so I could store it (filled with Wackys) with all my binders.

My latest Wacky project. I call this technique “image carving”

I want to use this method to make custom binder covers from posters and sketch cards. I finally learned how to copy colors (after two years of cerebral wondering, I recently did a Google search and learned how in a few seconds). With some patience and a steady hand, one can create collages. Brent’s website also has the poster version with no yellow. I wonder why the second one turned out blurry, since I made and resized both images the same way. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Hence I don't get the um and um gag at all.  "Um" is usually a sarcastic way of calling attention to something....

A bit late to the party here, but I think this is a simple case of keeping some part of the original product name intact:

Gagliardi Bros - Steak-Umm - package box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:32 PM »
A bit late to the party here, but I think this is a simple case of keeping some part of the original product name intact:

I guess Um we stand corrected.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »

If keeping part of the original name in tact hurts the gag, it is a bad decision.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
Another OLDS4 reject:

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
Sorry I have not been on here more but I'm very busy with OLDS4 and lots of life stuff.

Would like to hear opinions on the series concerning the structure. How do people like the Lud, tan, whites, what did you think of the chase cards, the art, gags, etc. Working on the plans for OLDS4 now.

I liked the concepts that were introduced but, as somebody who is only able to afford to buy one box, I think Topps should keep in mind that, because this product is only sold by the box through their ToppsOnline store, that it shouldn't be treated like the products which are made available in more locations and sold as single packs, boxes, bonus boxes, etc.

I do want to thank Brad for his willingness to send me the remaining stickers I needed to finish the tan base set, but it would have been nice for me to be able to put together one tan base set out of the box. Don't get me wrong, I understand that trading is always an option, but I think putting at least one tan base set from a box isn't something that should be too objectionable, as there are still opportunities for trading with the parallels and such.

I will add that I miss the jumbo stickers that were part of the previous two series and would like to see them return.

As far as the titles themselves go, they have been great... I can't think of one title I felt shouldn't have been included, which I think says a lot for everyone who works on the Old School series. And getting the sketch card in every box continues to be a nice treat.

Would be nice to see some of the products for which ideas have been rejected, make it into future series, though. And I believe Dave mentioned something about late 1970s and early 1980s products being parodied, which I think is a good idea. I can think of quite a few products that came out on the tail end of the original Wacky series and/or when the reissues came out, and that was the time frame when I was doing my own homemades. Wouldn't mind seeing some of those products get the Wacky treatment.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
Another OLDS4 reject:

Love it! Great characters there and a very clever gag!

Why would they reject this?!?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Love it! Great characters there and a very clever gag!

Why would they reject this?!?

Can you imagine the sketches that could come from this?

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
Maybe just the name?  RAVIN'ETTS?    Or maybe 'cause "organisms" sounds too much like you know what.   "Tiny Chocolate Covered Nanotech Creatures?"   But nanotechnology wasn't popular in the '70s. 

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
Why does it say "Avoir" on the real package?  Did the REAL Raisinetts guys put it there to make it Wacky?

Offline Porkie

« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
Why does it say "Avoir" on the real package?  Did the REAL Raisinetts guys put it there to make it Wacky?

Dang, I remember seeing this on some things as a kid. Always wondered what the heck that was.

Looks like Avoirdupois Ounces are the standard ounces we use for measuring weight, versus Troy Ounces used for precious metals. So the Avoir is something dropped awhile ago. Would be interesting to know why they would go to the trouble to put that on there.

Here's a quick quip on the difference. And a handy calculator should you ever need to convert between the two. ;)

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
of course, I immediately thought of the sexual innuendo of "raisin' it"  >:D

And if you look and quickly read the word "organisms" (as Jay points out), you
may go further into the depths that be....

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

My contribution to OldS3.
In the end, the only thing they used was the gag.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
My contribution to OldS3.
In the end, the only thing they used was the gag.

Congrats! I remember you saying you wanted to make a contribution to Wackys. Way to go!!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
Thanks  :D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
Thanks  :D

That cool John. Didn't know that you created any wacky's. I like the Clint rough version. Thanks for sharing.  :great:
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
That cool John. Didn't know that you created any wacky's. I like the Clint rough version. Thanks for sharing.  :great:

Thanks. Topps didn't want to use Clint's likeness for some reason. Back in the 70's (or maybe it was 80's), a TV station ran marathons of Clint's westerns, calling it "Squint Like Clint" week. Thought that would fit right in with OldS...