Author Topic: Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five  (Read 33478 times)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
                                                                                    Here's mine randomly listed
1.....Souse Trap
2.....Grave Poupon
3.....Moron Gard
4.....Preparation H-Bomb
5.....Brains Burgers
                                      And the 5 out of 6 titles i put into page 4....Tiger Eat     Lesore     Bat     Wallow Balsam     Homely Comb
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:25:34 PM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline DrSushi

Re: Someone Had 2 Start This Thread OLDS 3 Top Five
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
100% Grating Cheese - funny and we used this product frequently.
$0.00001 - very clever.
Squint - would fit right in the original series. A classic.
Le Sore Peas - wonderful the art on this one.
Brains Burgers - made me laugh aloud.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
(Must be in the air - I was thinking the same thing today - glad you started it! Unfortunately, I couldn't do just 5...)

Have to say there were a lot of really good art/gags for me in this series. Definitely my favorite of the OLDS so far, and my favorite newer series since I don't know when. Here's my top 10:

* Apple Tacks - Hilarious and fantastic artwork/detail without being cluttered. A "true" Wacky in my mind.
* Olden Grahams - Same as Apple Tacks for me - fantastic artwork/detail and great gag.
* Preparation H-Bomb - Made me laugh out loud! Great artwork. Great gag.
* Squirt - Took me back to buying the original product in a glass bottle. Superb artwork.
* Brains-Burgers - one of the best gags I've seen in a long time! Zombie dogs! Hilarious!
* 100% Grating Cheese - another really funny gag and a product we used all the time.
* Grave Poupon - superb artwork and very funny gag.
* Pig Boy - Love the simplicity, artwork, and gag (we had a Bob's Big Boy near us as a kid).
* Wallow Balsam - that pig looks so happy it made me smile.
* Charredstone Chew - great gag and brought back happy memories of this tooth-pulling treat

Honorable Mentions for me:

* Le Sore's - superb artwork on the can - my wife recognized the product from far away
* Souse Trap - tons of detail that begs for that 5x7 parallel series I've been wishing for!
* Cling Freek - hilarious gag!
* Grim - love the artwork, especially the lid
* Bat - the double pop-top gag is classic imo
* Stake 'ems - fantastic artwork
* Mr. Babble - hilarious gag and took me back to the one time we had this as a kid!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
(Must be in the air - I was thinking the same thing today - glad you started it! Unfortunately, I couldn't do just 5...)

Have to say there were a lot of really good art/gags for me in this series. Definitely my favorite of the OLDS so far, and my favorite newer series since I don't know when. Here's my top 10:

* Apple Tacks - Hilarious and fantastic artwork/detail without being cluttered. A "true" Wacky in my mind.
* Olden Grahams - Same as Apple Tacks for me - fantastic artwork/detail and great gag.
* Preparation H-Bomb - Made me laugh out loud! Great artwork. Great gag.
* Squirt - Took me back to buying the original product in a glass bottle. Superb artwork.
* Brains-Burgers - one of the best gags I've seen in a long time! Zombie dogs! Hilarious!
* 100% Grating Cheese - another really funny gag and a product we used all the time.
* Grave Poupon - superb artwork and very funny gag.
* Pig Boy - Love the simplicity, artwork, and gag (we had a Bob's Big Boy near us as a kid).
* Wallow Balsam - that pig looks so happy it made me smile.
* Charredstone Chew - great gag and brought back happy memories of this tooth-pulling treat

Honorable Mentions for me:

* Le Sore's - superb artwork on the can - my wife recognized the product from far away
* Souse Trap - tons of detail that begs for that 5x7 parallel series I've been wishing for!
* Cling Freek - hilarious gag!
* Grim - love the artwork, especially the lid
* Bat - the double pop-top gag is classic imo
* Stake 'ems - fantastic artwork
* Mr. Babble - hilarious gag and took me back to the one time we had this as a kid!
EVEN WITH MAGNIFIED GLASSES I CANNOT SEE THEM WELL ENOUGH TO COMMENT,MY 5 PICKS CAME FROM THE 3 THAT OCCUPY THE "CENTER SQUARE" ON THE 9 COUNT PAGES AND 2 OTHERS,WITH THE MEDIAN AGE OF THIS FORUM,MAKE THESE OLDS SETS POSTCARD SIZE OR SLIGHTLY SMALLER.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:15:23 PM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Porkie

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
Aye, I really want that 4x6 or 5x7 parallel series of just the base OLDS cards - would be glorious!

Speaking of small: anyone else notice on Olden Grahams the tiny white bits are bingo balls! Dang. And Meow Mix has a TON of detail!

Maybe we can get someone on the inside to post blow-ups of the artwork again. That is always outstanding.

Ok... back to the topic...

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
My top 5:

1) Clorocks (could totally be an original series card)
2) Prep. H-Bomb (too funny)
3) Cling Freak (also too funny & clever)
4) 0.00001 Bar
5) Stretch Armstrain (yup, remember straining to try and rip him apart)

Grave Poupon and 100% Grating are really cool too. Real fantastic set overall !  ;D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
I *really* like this set.  Good job Topps!

My top 5:

BAT - omg so funny and the double pull tabs genius hahaha
Brains burgers - Zombie dogs?  fresh!  12 juicy brains had me laughing
Squint - Looks like a classic wacky clean lines looks like a real bottle oO
Meow Mess - So much detail on this one I can see Norm painting something like this
MoronGard - Dunno I just love the stupid jerk on the can of paint hahahaha classic

TBH I love a lot more of them too.  This was hard to pick just 5.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
Picking just 5 is tough!  There are so many in this set that I think are fantastic!

I'd have to go with the following:

Souse Trap - Such detail!  Love the drunks, but especially the little pink elephant, funny gags.  Reminds me of Brandy Land.
Six Dollar Man - One of my favorite toys back then, I actually still have it.  Good gag, excellent package, the font is perfect!
Apple Tacks - How was this never an OS Wacky?  I love the old packaging with the two characters.  Free detention inside is funny.
Bat - My mom drank Tab all the time.  The package is great, great gag reversing the name, and I love the two pull tabs!
Pig Boy - I remember going there a lot.  Great gag, the character is perfect, and the burger, condiments and sack are wonderful.

I hate leaving out these:

Grim - Another great gag, and a well-rendered jar.  The lid is fantastic.
Stretch Armstrain - The gag here is perfect, as playing with this toy was great arm exercise.
100% Grating Cheese - Nice simple gag, and the packaging is perfect yet again.  The guy holding his head is awesome.
Grave Poupon - Like the gag, love the jar.
Squint - This is just classic!  I had forgotten about Squirt soda.  Not sure I get the gag, but that was true with a number of OS Wackys that I always really liked.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:58:18 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »
                                                                                   Here's mine randomly listed
1.....Souse Trap
2.....Grave Poupon
3.....Moron Gard
4.....Preparation H-Bomb
5.....Brains Burgers
                                      And the 5 out of 6 titles i put into page 4....Tiger Eat     Lesore     Bat     Wallow Balsam     Homely Comb

I will be very happy to post 5 that I really like (When I get my boxes that is).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
I will post up hi-res scans next week or so. I am still in the process of moving to a new place and getting up an Internet connection. We just finished up selecting the gags for series 4. I think they are killer. I start painting this week!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »

Squint - This is just classic!  I had forgotten about Squirt soda.  Not sure I get the gag, but that was true with a number of OS Wackys that I always really liked.

The gag is that popping the top squirts the person in the eye which would cause you to squint.

I did a Souse Trap thumbnail for an early ANS. It never made it due to the content. You had been asking for that one to be a sticker. I was real happy to have been able to include that one in this series. I think that was my favorite piece to paint. It sure took the longest (well, that and Tiger Eat).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »
I should mention that Jay, Fred and Mark worked on gags for this series besides me. When I post images and stuff later I will LYK what they did.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
The gag is that popping the top squirts the person in the eye which would cause you to squint.

I did a Souse Trap thumbnail for an early ANS. It never made it due to the content. You had been asking for that one to be a sticker. I was real happy to have been able to include that one in this series. I think that was my favorite piece to paint. It sure took the longest (well, that and Tiger Eat).

hahaha yea i got that one on squirt.  i love 16 sour oz.  well done wacky.  good job.

i didn't put tiger eat in my top 5 but omg i sure notice the attention to detail.  the more i look at it the more it is growing on me.  i really like it.

this set was a masterpiece.  congratulations on a job well done.

*edit* looked closer at tiger eat.  saw the 'dec 1975' in the 'T'.  so much details.  it is amazing
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:43:29 PM by Slaytex99 »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:33:20 AM »

Duh! - I should have figured that one out   :-\   Thanks for the help.

Souse Trap is incredible, and perfect for the series!  I remember that box with the contraption on it, and you definitely did it justice!

Offline RaMpB

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »

Friggin love Souse Trap! Cannot stop looking at it! great work David

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
I should mention that Jay, Fred and Mark worked on gags for this series besides me. When I post images and stuff later I will LYK what they did.

Simply put---olds 3 is absolutely fantastic. My favorite is preparation h-bomb

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »

Souse Trap is incredible, and perfect for the series!  I remember that box with the contraption on it, and you definitely did it justice!

My eyes must be getting bad because I can barely see the art on that one!  That's one I would definitely like to see the original art.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
My eyes must be getting bad because I can barely see the art on that one!  That's one I would definitely like to see the original art.

I want the 4x6 or 5x7 parallel series of base cards so we can appreciate the art! ;D

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
    Dave is painting some more insanely detailed ones for series 4 as well.   So while I'm thinking about it....  Dave, be sure to save 1200 dpi images of this stuff.  Some day in the far future,  Topps will probably license 7 foot high wall murals again, and If the resolution of the saved images is too low, they will have to retouch it by hand for the larger sized stuff.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »