Author Topic: My Favorite Kind of Ebay Auction  (Read 8818 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

My Favorite Kind of Ebay Auction
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »
I love ebay auctions like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Topps-Wacky-Packages-stickers-checklist-wrappers_W0QQitemZ150429066565

...that seemingly contain stickers from a single original opened pack. It's like getting all the info of killing a pack without having to do so! Looking at the 12th series sheet we see another example of how the knight's move can occur when one sticker is on the edge of the sheet:

Stickers on the edges of the sheet are the hardest to understand for pack collation. Wish I could open lots of full boxes to figure this out once and for all.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: My Favorite Kind of Ebay Auction
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Topps-Wacky-Packages-stickers-checklist-wrappers_W0QQitemZ150429066565

...that seemingly contain stickers from a single original opened pack. It's like getting all the info of killing a pack without having to do so! Looking at the 12th series sheet we see another example of how the knight's move can occur when one sticker is on the edge of the sheet:

(Image removed from quote.)

Stickers on the edges of the sheet are the hardest to understand for pack collation. Wish I could open lots of full boxes to figure this out once and for all.
The Knights move is followed, I am not sure I follow your concern.  I have found whether it is the middle of the sheet or the edge, it is always a move of 1 in one direction, and 3 in the other.  Sometimes it appears to be an "upside down" move.  Let's discuss more.  I have a whole box of series 3 originals to provide stats as it is a moldy ruined mess but the collation of the packs is pure.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
I didn't say I was concerned. The Knight's move is followed in this case. But I have many examples of packs containing stickers
on the edge of the sheet that do NOT have the knight's move. I posted about it on the other forum, let me see if I can find
it.

Killing your moldy 3rds would be great fun, bring 'em to the Philly Show!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
Here's my post from the other forum:
------------

Ever since I killed a 15th series box years ago I have known that there are certain exceptions to the
standard Knight's Move collation of stickers within an original series unopened pack.

The exceptions invariably involve stickers on one edge of the sheet or the other.

In the 15th series box I recorded these exceptions:

Jerkitol/Electric Slave (Electric Slave on right edge of sheet)
Soremel/Dynamites (Dynamites on right edge)

Mashbox/View Monster (View Monster on right edge)

Earth Barn/Mashbox (Earth Barn on left edge)
Fearout/Cheapstick (Fearout on left edge)
Fang Edward/Smell-Ecch (Fang Edward on left edge)

Earth Barn/Dynamites (both stickers on edges)

I broke the above into groups based on the relative positions.
See the sheet to understand:

I happened to have a low grade 8th series pack lying around showing
Rolaches (on the right edge), so I killed it and sure enough it
contained Biva (similar to the group of three above).

I would love to kill tons of boxes to investigate this further, but
as of now I would say that packs containing at least one sticker
from the edge of the sheet may be legitimate and not obey a knight's
move arrangement. It is likely to occur in a way similar to the ones
described above.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »
------------

Ever since I killed a 15th series box years ago I have known that there are certain exceptions to the
standard Knight's Move collation of stickers within an original series unopened pack.

The exceptions invariably involve stickers on one edge of the sheet or the other.

described above.

I could swear I responded to this thread and expressed my confusion as the first two you listed do follow Knight Moves, so before I continued to review the rest, I wanted to understand where you were coming from as maybe we are interpretting "knight move" differently.

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
I didn't say I was concerned. The Knight's move is followed in this case. But I have many examples of packs containing stickers
on the edge of the sheet that do NOT have the knight's move. I posted about it on the other forum, let me see if I can find
it.

Killing your moldy 3rds would be great fun, bring 'em to the Philly Show!

I don't know how much killing will take place, these literally fall apart in our hands so I think half have come apart but I will gladly bring this.  Can you please remind me as we get closer to show time?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »

So it went up one from the Dud in the middle row, and then two over to the right, wrapping to the Battlecaps on the left edge?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
So it went up one from the Dud in the middle row, and then two over to the right, wrapping to the Battlecaps on the left edge?
yes

Offline bandaches

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:02:36 PM »
------------

described above.

HEre goes, I am certain this will be consistent with my response whereever this was discussed originally, FINE means Knight move is followed

Jerkitol/Electric Slave (Electric Slave on right edge of sheet): FINE
Soremel/Dynamites (Dynamites on right edge): FINE

Mashbox/View Monster (View Monster on right edge): There is probably a version of this sheet where either View Monster or MAshbox replaces a pulled title.  The ration of those common titles to other titles is much worse than 2:1 as suggested by the uncut sheets so this suggests these titles replaced some titles.

Earth Barn/Mashbox (Earth Barn on left edge):  FINE
Fearout/Cheapstick (Fearout on left edge): FINE
Fang Edward/Smell-Ecch (Fang Edward on left edge): this one is a mystery to me, is Smell Ech slightly more common than others, possibly it replaced a title?

Earth Barn/Dynamites (both stickers on edges): FINE

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:19 AM »
Ernie,

I'm going to try to be as specific as I can about this.

First of all, based on my experience, the way the knight's move works is not just ANY move that a knight is allowed to make.
It is specifically this: open the pack and take the gum off of the top sticker. The sticker below it will be UP one row and two
columns to the RIGHT. Of the 47 packs I opened from the 15th box, all of them were like this except the ones I cited.

Therefore, none of the examples you cite is "FINE" if you believe this.

I agree these are the "reverse" knight move, but that is still exceptional because it never happens on the sheet interior, only when there is wraparound.

----
Mashbox/View Monster (View Monster on right edge): There is probably a version of this sheet where either View Monster or Mashbox replaces a pulled title.  The ration of those common titles to other titles is much worse than 2:1 as suggested by the uncut sheets so this suggests these titles replaced some titles.
----

An interesting theory, but there are also 16th series packs containing two adjacent double prints. Also, the reason the double prints seem more common than they should be is that so many sets have been put together that it exaggerates the double prints among the leftovers, just like the more common puzzle pieces.

----
Fang Edward/Smell-Ecch (Fang Edward on left edge): this one is a mystery to me, is Smell Ech slightly more common than others, possibly it replaced a title?
----

Combinations involving double prints are more confusing because you have to decide which one on the sheet was used. But
in my opinion, all three of these contain one sticker from the left edge of the sheet and another in the second to last column
of the same row.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Ernie,

I'm going to try to be as specific as I can about this.

First of all, based on my experience, the way the knight's move works is not just ANY move that a knight is allowed to make.
It is specifically this: open the pack and take the gum off of the top sticker. The sticker below it will be UP one row and two
columns to the RIGHT. Of the 47 packs I opened from the 15th box, all of them were like this except the ones I cited.

Therefore, none of the examples you cite is "FINE" if you believe this.

I agree these are the "reverse" knight move, but that is still exceptional because it never happens on the sheet interior, only when there is wraparound.

----
Mashbox/View Monster (View Monster on right edge): There is probably a version of this sheet where either View Monster or Mashbox replaces a pulled title.  The ration of those common titles to other titles is much worse than 2:1 as suggested by the uncut sheets so this suggests these titles replaced some titles.
----

An interesting theory, but there are also 16th series packs containing two adjacent double prints. Also, the reason the double prints seem more common than they should be is that so many sets have been put together that it exaggerates the double prints among the leftovers, just like the more common puzzle pieces.

----
----

Combinations involving double prints are more confusing because you have to decide which one on the sheet was used. But
in my opinion, all three of these contain one sticker from the left edge of the sheet and another in the second to last column
of the same row.
A couple of things, first, you picked a horrendous thread name for this as me and anyone else even remotingly interested in discussing the knight move has no chance of figuring this thread is that.  You tend to be highly critical of protocol.  Also, all along you have used the phrase "standard knight move" of which of course there is no such thing as a knight can move move in ANY direction as long as it is 2 and 1 move so I couldn't possibly try to guess what your specific issue was until you "were specific".

Nonetheless, I do see your issue now and will check my notes on series 16 but my general recollection is that the knight move has not always been specifically "up one right two".

Again, please remind me to bring my moldy series 3 box so we can gather more documentation here.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
I am also very interested in this and have documented many reissue packs that I have opened. It is also my finding that it is - One up and two to the right. There is some question at times though when it goes off the edge of the sheet. I ran out of packs I was willing to kill before I finished my research.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Knight's Move Examples
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »

Offline Bigmuc13

Re: Knight's Move Examples
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 06:40:51 AM »
Dave, and everyone else, I killed a 16th series box many years ago.  I bought it from Kirk Daniel.  I logged my results.  I believe this box was one of the rarer ones where the white back was showing through the back of the pack, not the sticker side.  So I am not sure if the sticker listed first was on the top of the bottom.  But you can defitne'y see the pattern.  I believe that I was ripped off one Scoot NC as yu can see the last pack that started with Russian Spies has a Scoot WC.  That was a bummer!  Enjoy.

1   Suspect                Gillo                Fool Guard   BR   Be Prepared
2   Suspect                Gillo                Fool Guard   BR   Bazooka
3   Suspect                Gillo                Fool Guard   MR   Be Prepared
4   Real Garbage   Clubbed Canadian   Regal Clown   MR   Lotsa Friends
5   Real Garbage   Clubbed Canadian   Regal Clown   TR   Be Prepared
6   Real Garbage   Clubbed Canadian   Regal Clown   BR   Bazooka
7   Cracked                Sufferin                Floral                BM   Lotsa Friends
8   Cracked                 Sufferin                Floral                MM   Be Prepared
9   Cracked                Sufferin                Floral                BM   Bazooka
10   Dr. Nests                Bleeds                Fling'ems                ML   Bazooka
11   Dr. Nests                Bleeds                Fling'ems                TL   Lotsa Friends
12   Fling'ems                Bleeds                Dr. Nests                BL   Be Prepared
13   Copperbone   Dirty Cell                Horsey                TR   Be Prepared
14   Copperbone   Dirty Cell                Horsey                MM   Lotsa Friends
15   Copperbone   Dirty Cell                Horsey                TM   Be Prepared
16   Scoot WC   Old Grandmom   Ramaliar                MR   Be Prepared
17   Scoot WC   Old Grandmom   Ramaliar                BR   Be Prepared
18   Scoot WC   Old Grandmom   Ramaliar                TR   Lotsa Friends
19   Scoot WC   Old Grandmom   Ramaliar                MR   Bazooka
20   Prowl                Sucker Twin   Ghoul Humor   BL   Lotsa Friends
21   Prowl                Sucker Twin   Ghoul Humor   TL   Bazooka
22   Prowl                Sucker Twin   Ghoul Humor   ML   Be Prepared
23   Prowl                Sucker Twin   Ghoul Humor   BL   Be Prepared
24   Tipsy                Smartz                Real Garbage   BM   Be Prepared
25   Tipsy                Smartz                Real Garbage   MM   Be Prepared
26   Tipsy                Smartz                Real Garbage   TM   Bazooka
27   Tipsy              Smartz                Real Garbage   BM   Bazooka
28   Sign-X                Earth Bum   Arise                BM   Bazooka
29   Sign-X                Earth Bum   Arise                MM   Be Prepared
30   Sign-X                Earth Bum   Arise                TM   Bazooka
31   Jungle                Krummies                Similecch                BL   Be Prepared
32   Jungle                Krummies                Similecch                BL   Bazooka
33   Jungle                Krummies    Similecch                TL   Bazooka
34   Russian Spies   Jungle                Scoot NC       TL   Bazooka
35   Russian Spies   Jungle                Scoot NC                ML   Be Prepared
36   Russian Spies   Jungle                Scoot WC   BL   Lotsa Friends
Still looking for Series 17

Offline panzerjunky

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
Just an FNG question    What is a Knight's move?
Thanks Jerry

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
Just an FNG question    What is a Knight's move?
Thanks Jerry
Like the Knight's move in chess.  One up and two over, one over and two up, etc.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Also to add - it's based on the printing sheet.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
FINE means Knight move is followed

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is there a reason for “FINE”?

Is it an acronym? I’m sure someone can set me straight on this.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »

I don't think FINE is an acronym, but if it were, maybe it could stand for: Fits In Night Equation - with a misspelling of "Knight"? How about: Fuggitaboutit, It's Not Erroneous?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »

Or maybe FINE stands for:
Fine Is Not Ecronym, with Acronym misspelled.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
Or maybe FINE stands for:
Fine Is Not Ecronym, with Acronym misspelled.

Or, taking it to a logical extreme, maybe FINE stands for:

All Things Must Pass, with Fine Is Not Ecronym misspelled.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: My Favorite Kind of Ebay Auction (Knight's Move)
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
This eBay auction is gold! Shows once and for all how the Knight's move worked on the die cut sheet (reverse of how it works for later original series). The Jail-O also bears out my comments above about edge stickers. Check out the die cut sheet and explore!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Vintage-1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Wax-Pack-And-5-Die-Cuts-Near-Mint-Cards-/300958517303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4612868837
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:28:46 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
too bad the wrapper is wripped.  They are harder to find than the cards...

Offline dth1971

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Were there extra stickers because 3 planned original 12th. series sticker entries - Midget Rice, Fool Aid, and Ice Krunkles Cereal - were dropped out from that series?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
A knowledgeable baseball card collector from the PSA boards told me how the Knight's move works for baseball sheets. He claims the knight's move is reversed depending on which side of the full sheet the cards are from:

Though I haven't ever noticed that difference between * and ** in the original series wacky packs I've opened.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
The 6th series pack that I opened a couple years ago had Truant and Peter Pain in it.  So that was a case where the Knight Move was ascending up the sheet.  And according to Greg's site, this is an image of a "B" side sheet:

The 10th pack that I opened a couple weeks ago had BigTumi and Pooped Ridge Farm in it.  That too is ascending up the sheet and this is an "A" side sheet:

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
I guess I should clarify that in both of these packs I opened, the stickers were all double-asterisk stickers which I guess makes them side "B"? 
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
Yes, this ascending knight's move is what I've always found, I've never seen the descending version except in the die
cut pack cited above.