Author Topic: OLD SCHOOL 3 Master List  (Read 16273 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

OLD SCHOOL 3 Master List
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
Here's what I've come up with so far. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wacky Packages Old School Series 3
Topps - 2012

5000 boxes produced for this series. Only distributed thru Topps website. Presale of 1500 boxes sold out in less than 6 hours on Dec. 29, 2011. Originally scheduled to be released around Christmas of 2011, many delays (including David Gross’ kidney stones) caused the series to be released on February 16th, 2012.

PROMO CARDS
   -- Mr. Babble (Card given out at Philly Card Show on Oct. 2, 2011)

Stickers available in TAN BACKS, WHITE BACKS and BLACK LUDLOW BACKS

BASE SET

No.    Title                                      

1    Van Vamp’s Baked Bats                                    
    2    Behead                                  
    3    Benjamin Moron Paint
    4    Cling Freek
    5    Town Hovel Crackers      
    6    Olden Grahams                                
    7    Apple Tacks
    8    Charredstone Chew!
    9    Preparation H-Bomb              
   10    Pop Recks
   11    100% Grating Cheese      
   12    Squint
   13    Um & Ums
   14    Clorocks 2                  
   15    Le Sroe Peas
   16    Grave Poupon
   17    Stake Umms
   18    $0.00001
   19    Chafeguard
   20    Bang            
   21    Mr. Babble
   22    Wallow Balsam
   23    Homely Comb
   24    Tiger Eat Magazine
   25    Bat
   26    Stretch Armstrain          
   27    Souse Trap        
   28    Pig Boy
   29    Hippy Days Cards
   30    Meow Mess
   31    Brains Burgers
   32    Six Dollar Man Figure
   33    Grim Coffee

CHASE STICKERS

Wacky 1967 Subset Stickers

1.   Lipoff
2.   Coronation Milk
3.   Slum-Maid Raisins
4.   Ratz Crackers
5.   Jolly Mean Giant
6.   Moron Salt
7.   Boredom’s Coffee
8.   De-Mented Tomatoes
9.   Cracked Jerk
10.   Campy Spider Soup
--   Wacky 1967 Checklist

Logo Stickers

--     Old School 3 “Bag of Groceries” Sticker
  --    Old School 3 Orange Logo Sticker
  --    Old School 3 Green Logo Sticker
  --    Old School 3 Blue Logo Sticker

Promo Sticker

--     SweeTar (Old School Series 4 Promo Sticker)

Puzzle/Checklist Cards (Hippy Days Cards)

top left puzzle piece
top center puzzle piece
top right puzzle piece
middle left puzzle piece
center puzzle piece
middle right puzzle piece
bottom left puzzle piece
bottom center puzzle piece
bottom right puzzle piece

Sketch Cards
Each box came with a card that has an original sketch hand drawn and hand signed by one of 13 different Wacky Packages artists. Each card was placed inside of a sealed manila envelope with the OLDS3 logo printed on the envelope. The 13 artists that did the series 3 sketch cards are: Jay Lynch, Bill Griffith, Bob Stewart, Fred Wheaton, Smokin Joe McWilliams, Brent Engstrom, Neil Camera, Mark Parisi, Jeff Zapata, Joe Simko, Colin Walton, John Zeleznik and Matthew Kirscht. Jay Lynch reportedly did 20 of the series 3 5,000 sketches (after having done so many sketches for the previous series),so those are extremely rare. Original Series and Old School 3 characters were depicted on the cards. There are 20 different Wacky Packages character covered. They are: Bone Ami, Buz, Fearasil, Gulp Oil, Hawaiian Punks, Head & Boulders, Hipton, Hurt’s, Kentucky Fried, Play Dumb, Robot Burns, Skimpy, Slam Jim, Slayer, Tipsy Roll, Bat, Grim, Moron Guard, Mr. Babble, Pig Boy.

Since all of these cards were randomly inserted into each box, there is no way to tell what you will get until you open a box. Some of the characters have variations (such as dialog, different angles or backgrounds) and have become quite desirable.

Box-Topper Poster

--    Old School 3 Grocery Store by Brent Engstrom (Folded)
     Measures 24” X 35” and is designed to affix a basic sticker set to the poster.

Old School Series 3 Binder

--    with Exclusive Wax Wrapper

©2012 Jerry Brand. Comments, updates, & corrections are welcomed!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:15:26 PM by NEZHEAD42 »
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline jleonard1967

Re: OLD SCHOOL 3 Master List
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
I would like a list of the sketches. (meaning what was the chosen card) also were there 20 different or more or less?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
I would like a list of the sketches. (meaning what was the chosen card) also were there 20 different or more or less?

I did list all of the sketch titles in the spoiler thread.  Yes, there are 20 titles, 5 from Olds and 15 originals.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Comments, updates, & corrections are welcomed!

I found the 1967 subset sticker numbering very confusing. It seems like they should run 1-10 for each of the styles of backing just like you have the base sets using the same numbering for each set, or else the base sets should run 34-66 and 67-99.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
I found the 1967 subset sticker numbering very confusing. It seems like they should run 1-10 for each of the styles of backing just like you have the base sets using the same numbering for each set, or else the base sets should run 34-66 and 67-99.

Wow! I didn't do that. I copied and pasted from a word document and it did that automatically. Thanks for catching that.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »

©2012 Jerry Brand. Comments, updates, & corrections are welcomed!

So now you're copyrighting your message? :great:

"I'm Jerry Brand, and I approve this message." ;)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
So now you're copyrighting your message? :great:

"I'm Jerry Brand, and I approve this message." ;)

Yeah, I did that as a joke.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
Wow! I didn't do that. I copied and pasted from a word document and it did that automatically. Thanks for catching that.
Microsoft Word, just lending an automatic hand....  of crapulence.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
Nez, thanks for putting the effort in to document all this, that's great.

My only comment/suggestion: Aren't the base sets (stickers, 1967s, logos, promo) all the same for each of the three back variations? To me, the list is long enough without repeating the exact same info three times. Why not just document it once and note that it comes in tan, white and Ludlow backs? I think this simplifies things some. Also, I don't think each puzzle piece need be noted. Just saying "9 card checklist/puzzle of Hippy Days" would cover us, eh? Just my opinion...and is a direct result of me being a relational database guy, LOL.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:18:40 AM by bigtomi »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
crapulence.
LOL, is this like Paul calling it "craptacular"?

Offline emoticon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:59:34 AM »
Nez, thanks for putting the effort in to document all this, that's great.

My only comment/suggestion: Aren't the base sets (stickers, 1967s, logos, promo) all the same for each of the three back variations? To me, the list is long enough without repeating the exact same info three times. Why not just document it once and note that it comes in tan, white and Ludlow backs? I think this simplifies things some. Also, I don't think each puzzle piece need be noted. Just saying "9 card checklist/puzzle of Hippy Days" would cover us, eh? Just my opinion...and is a direct result of me being a relational database guy, LOL.

Then I bet the insert checklist drives you crazy since it lists each 1967 sticker three times!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
Is there any information on how many color sketch cards were done by each artist?  I don't remember seeing that anywhere.  Sorry if I am asking something that everyone already knows.

Thanks for taking the time to put together the list and sharing the information.  Much appreciated.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
Is there any information on how many color sketch cards were done by each artist?  I don't remember seeing that anywhere.  Sorry if I am asking something that everyone already knows.

Thanks for taking the time to put together the list and sharing the information.  Much appreciated.

The only people who know this are Topps and the artists. Nobodys tellin.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
Then I bet the insert checklist drives you crazy since it lists each 1967 sticker three times!
Can't even look at it.   ;D

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »
any thoughts on updating the master list for the Ludlow variations?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
any thoughts on updating the master list for the Ludlow variations?

Is it really a variation?

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »

I was thinking about this as well and my conclusion is yes, because they do have different backs. Another example would be the ANS 5 stickers with back variations.

But I defer to the experts. :)

Offline Kook

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 05:29:10 AM »

In the case of the original ludlows, I would say there were various configurations of the original backing, so I don't think you could "quantify" different orientations or distinct back patterns for each card (though I could be wrong since I have not tried) so I would say that a ludlow is a ludlow for the original series with no way to differentiate multiple ludlow variations per title.

With that said, sounds like Chip did 2 patterns for each title, and the camel printing was consistent for all sheets, so in this case, from a literal standpoint, you can call each of the 2 orientations a variation. The bigger question is whether anyone really cares enough to manage this. IMO I think Chip did this so all backs wouldn't look the same, as in the original series. I don't think it was in an effort to make 2 different distinct variations. I think, if he practically could have, he would have mixed it up a lot more to make the backs much more distinct and varied rather than just have 2 variations. Maybe he can chime in on his original intent. If that were the case, I doubt anyone would classify each as a distinct variation.

Considering the case of the ludlow variation situation, does anyone collect, or consider the one asterisk copyright (*) vs the 2 asterisk copyright (**) a variation & build 2 different sets as they would this distinct ludlow variation or are we too far into the area of minutia?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:31:04 AM by billf »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 05:47:22 AM »
In the case of the original ludlows, I would say there were various configurations of the original backing, so I don't think you could "quantify" different orientations or distinct back patterns for each card (though I could be wrong since I have not tried) so I would say that a ludlow is a ludlow for the original series with no way to differentiate multiple ludlow variations per title.

With that said, sounds like Chip did 2 patterns for each title, and the camel printing was consistent for all sheets, so in this case, from a literal standpoint, you can call each of the 2 orientations a variation. The bigger question is whether anyone really cares enough to manage this. IMO I think Chip did this so all backs wouldn't look the same, as in the original series. I don't think it was in an effort to make 2 different distinct variations. I think, if he practically could have, he would have mixed it up a lot more to make the backs much more distinct and varied rather than just have 2 variations. Maybe he can chime in on his original intent. If that were the case, I doubt anyone would classify each as a distinct variation.

Considering the case of the ludlow variation situation, does anyone collect, or consider the one asterisk copyright (*) vs the 2 asterisk copyright (**) a variation & build 2 different sets as they would this distinct ludlow variation or are we too far into the area of minutia?

I agree with your assessment.  It would have been disappointing if every Ludlow in the series had an identical reverse, since the originals aren't like that, and I for one am glad Chip went to the effort he did to make them different.  Imagine looking at the back of a page and seeing the exact same reverse on every one of the Ludlows - it would have looked really artificial.

Since there were two distinct versions for each title, I have sorted my stickers, and will be keeping one of each Ludlow back.  If the backs had been truly random, I wouldn't bother.

As for the OS asterisks, there are definitely collectors who build OS sets of each version, for stickers and puzzles.  The Old School 3 Ludlows are kind of like that, except we have no way to identify which back version goes with which sheet.  Even if we eventually see uncut sheets, tracking which reverse goes with which sheet seems unlikely.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »
Variations typical draw attention due to the story around it ie a mishap of some sorts that results in the variation.  Prefab "variations" are not exciting in my mind.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
The OS3 series was designed to intentionally have 2 different ludlow back variations for each title/wrapper sticker/and the promo and logo stickers. We have also learned that there should be an equal number of each variation. Two back plates were used and 1/2 of the run was created using each plate so no one variation should be more scarce than another. The convention decided upon to be able to uniquely identify the back "variations" is as follows: to simply add the number of camels (either entirely or patially shown) on the back side of the card with the additional qualifier of the number of camel feet, either entirely or partially, shown.

TITLE                    VAR 1   VAR 2
===========   ====    ====
OS3                      2c          1c
OS4 promo card     2c          4c
Red WP Logo         2c          4c
Green WP Logo      3c0f       3c4f
Blue WP Logo        3c4f       3c9f
1967 checklist        1c   3c
$0.00001              2c   4c
Apple Tack            3c0f   3c4f
Bang                   1c   3c
Bat                      2c   3c
Behead               1c   2c
Boredom            1c   3c
Brains Burger   3c4f   3c8f
Campy           2c   3c
Chafeguard           2c   4c
Charredston        3c0f   3c4f
Cling Freak           2c   4c
Clorocks            1c   3c
Coronation           1c   2c
Cracked Je          3c4f   3c9f
Demented            2c   4c
Grating            2c   3c
Grave Poupon    1c   2c
Grim                    3c4f   3c8f
Hippy Days            2c   4c
Homely            3c0f   3c4f
Jolly Mean Giant   3c0f   3c4f
LeSore            2c   4c
Lipoff                 2c   4c
Meow Mess         1c   3c
Moron Gard         2c   3c
Moron Salt            2c   3c
Mr. Bubble            1c   2c
Olden Grahams    3c4f   3c8f
Pig Boy            2c   4c
Pop Recks           3c0f   3c4f
Preperation Hb    2c   4c
Ratz                    1c   2c
Six Dollar Man    1c   3c
Slum Maid           3c4f   3c8f
Souse Trap           2c   3c
Squint            1c   2c
Stake-Umms       3c4f   3c8f
Stretch Armstrain   2c   4c
Tiger eat           3c0f   3c4f
Town Hovel           2c   4c
Um & Um's           1c   3c
Van Vamp's Bats   2c   4c
Wallow Balsam   2c   3c
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
Some additonal ludlow back information and I suppose a little general information as well.

The three attached photos are as follows:

1) The print sheet layout for OS3
2) the reverse side of the print sheet layout for 1 configuration of the ludlow backs
3) the reverse side of the print sheet layout for the other configuration of the ludlow backs
4) The print sheet layout oriented in a 90 degree clockwise rotation (non-ladnscape)

It's interesting to note if you look at the print layout shown in the bottom picture, If you start at the top right corner,
scanning left, then going down to the next row starting at the right side scanning left, etc. the titles are in the following order:
   - 1967 subset in alphabetical order (except BOREDOMS)
   - Base set in alphabetical order
   - Logos, promo and the checklist

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:58:40 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2022, 02:48:37 PM »
On the Base Set list, it should be Le Sore Peas. It's misspelled.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 06:37:48 PM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 03:16:29 AM »
Didn't Fanatical and Sickly already start a thread for this? He's usually the guy who maintains all of them.