Author Topic: Old School 3 Collation and set building  (Read 7532 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Old School 3 Collation and set building
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »
I've only killed 6 boxes so far, but it seems that you can expect a set of the 33 base stickers in a box, although you may have mixed backs.  My first box was almost perfect, 2 complete puzzles and the entire tan set and all the tan bonus stickers, minus one 1967 sticker (but the box included that title in both white and ludlow back).  It took me until the beginning of the third box to get that last tan sticker. 

I completed the whole white set with the fourth box, and the ludlows with the sixth box.  Out of the 6 boxes, I ended up with four 33 card sets in tan backs, with the inserts and bonus, plus the one white and one ludlow.  I had another partial set of the 33 tans, but with just a couple of the inserts.

Not sure how to build the extra sets.  Should Old School 3 sets include the 10 sticker subset and the other cards?  Should backs be consistent?  I'm interested in knowing what people here think.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

Re: Old School 3 Collation and set building
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:25 AM »
Opened 1 box and not only did i not get a 33 card base set, 3 titles...Preparation,Bang and Six Dollar Man i did not get any and no De-mented also and no subset checklist card!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »
Opened 1 box and not only did i not get a 33 card base set, 3 titles...Preparation,Bang and Six Dollar Man i did not get any and no De-mented also and no subset checklist card!

I opened my 6 presale boxes and am still 1 sticker short of a full set (100% grating cheese wb still missing).

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:26 AM »
I've only killed 6 boxes so far, but it seems that you can expect a set of the 33 base stickers in a box, although you may have mixed backs.  My first box was almost perfect, 2 complete puzzles and the entire tan set and all the tan bonus stickers, minus one 1967 sticker (but the box included that title in both white and ludlow back).  It took me until the beginning of the third box to get that last tan sticker. 

I completed the whole white set with the fourth box, and the ludlows with the sixth box.  Out of the 6 boxes, I ended up with four 33 card sets in tan backs, with the inserts and bonus, plus the one white and one ludlow.  I had another partial set of the 33 tans, but with just a couple of the inserts.

Not sure how to build the extra sets.  Should Old School 3 sets include the 10 sticker subset and the other cards?  Should backs be consistent?  I'm interested in knowing what people here think.

I managed to get a full Ludlow subset out of 2 boxes..before completing a Tan Back Subset...took until the 3rd box..

I would consider an OLDS3 - Tan Base Set / Tan Subset / Tan (3) WP Logo / Tan OLDS3 Logo / Tan OLDS4 Promo / Tan Subset Checklist / Puzzle - as a TAN Master Set...IMO

Seems like the SubSet Checklist is also hard to come by..in Three boxes I got ONE Tan , and One ludlow...

Still don't know what the variation chiperino was talking about - that may/may not be incuded??

thoughts??

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »

I managed to get a full Ludlow subset out of 2 boxes..before completing a Tan Back Subset...took until the 3rd box..

I would consider an OLDS3 - Tan Base Set / Tan Subset / Tan (3) WP Logo / Tan OLDS3 Logo / Tan OLDS4 Promo / Tan Subset Checklist / Puzzle - as a TAN Master Set...IMO

Seems like the SubSet Checklist is also hard to come by..in Three boxes I got ONE Tan , and One ludlow...

Still don't know what the variation chiperino was talking about - that may/may not be incuded??

thoughts??

I agree that the subset checklist is one of the rarer cards to find.  I think you'll find people selling just the base sets with puzzles, and then master sets of each back variation.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
I agree that the subset checklist is one of the rarer cards to find.  I think you'll find people selling just the base sets with puzzles, and then master sets of each back variation.

I listed 3 auctions yesterday each with the different back variations. A person could buy them individually or all to make a master set. I put them up as auction style to gauge the interest and get some type of handle on the market. It still may be too early to determine. OLDS 3 aren't moving that quickly on ebay. Could be the higher BIN pricing.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »
I listed 3 auctions yesterday each with the different back variations. A person could buy them individually or all to make a master set. I put them up as auction style to gauge the interest and get some type of handle on the market. It still may be too early to determine. OLDS 3 aren't moving that quickly on ebay. Could be the higher BIN pricing.

I know that I am waiting on ebay prices to drop before buying sets.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »

I have 4 boxes and after collating found I had a complete set of all back variations except for a one white back title. I found I have many more duplicate white backs (thus less different titles) than I did ludlow backs. My boxes seemed to have a better ludlow distribution.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
I bought 4 boxes and was short one Ludlow for a full set of all backs, so I am happy with the results for sure.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
I bought 6 boxes, only opened 3 boxes (packs), got a complete set of all backs except 1 card, white back olds 4 bonus card. second box I opened was basically collated the same as the first. If I opened the 1st and 3rd box it would have been completed with 2 boxes. All tan, white and ludlow.  :^)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
just opened a pack that had all 3 varieties of De-Mented Tomatoes in it. Weird.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »

I like it when there is some randomness to it instead of having it totally predictable.  That's cool!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 04:08:22 AM »
From my initial 6 boxes I was 9 cards short of a master ludlow set--kind of disappointing.  5 titles I got 6 ludlows of!  1 complete white set.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:06 AM »

I had a bunch of packs in one box that had two varieties of the same title in them.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
I like it when there is some randomness to it instead of having it totally predictable.  That's cool!

couldn't agree more...love the randomness...I got a 2 full tanback subsets and a full ludlow back subset out of 2 boxes..that was nice...white backs seem slightly tougher to get...at least for me...

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
Out of the one box I ordered, there were at least two titles I didn't get in any variation and I got just 28 of the 33 titles in the tan back. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed about that -- I do like the series as a whole but, given that I can't really afford to buy multiple boxes, I would have at least liked to have been able to put up together 33 titles in the tan backs and then decide whether or not to try to put together other sets.

I think doing variants of the logo stickers and promo stickers and putting them into packs is a bit much. I think those need to go back to being one per box with the back variations for people who buy multiple boxes and are interested in getting each of the variants.

I do like the subset of the die cuts never issued as peel and stick. I don't have an issue with not being able to get one of each in the packs -- that's OK to have that be one where you aren't guaranteed a full set of the tan backs and thus do some trading there.

On one hand, I expect to get a bonus at work and will thus likely order another box, but will have to see when I place the order given that it's state basketball tournament time approaching and I might not be around enough days to be there when a box arrives. In fact, I was fortunate as it was windy today and, when I came home, my box had been left on the porch and the wind blew it off -- the box was OK but I'm lucky the winds didn't reach the speeds they did in my hometown of Longmont, Colo. I think Brad knows about the 100-mph winds measured in that part of Colorado (and he may have experienced them himself in Loveland -- I believe that's where Brad lives).

So, yeah -- there's one reason why I sound a little cranky (and on top of that, it wasn't a fun day at the office today). Nothing against Topps or anyone who did the set -- they've done a good job overall, I just wish the collation was better for the base sets for those of us who aren't always able to buy more than one box.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
I had a bunch of packs in one box that had two varieties of the same title in them.
had several of those as well, where both the white back and ludlow were identical. now it's time to open more packs in order to complete the base set.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
Out of the one box I ordered, there were at least two titles I didn't get in any variation and I got just 28 of the 33 titles in the tan back. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed about that -- I do like the series as a whole but, given that I can't really afford to buy multiple boxes, I would have at least liked to have been able to put up together 33 titles in the tan backs and then decide whether or not to try to put together other sets.

I think doing variants of the logo stickers and promo stickers and putting them into packs is a bit much. I think those need to go back to being one per box with the back variations for people who buy multiple boxes and are interested in getting each of the variants.

I do like the subset of the die cuts never issued as peel and stick. I don't have an issue with not being able to get one of each in the packs -- that's OK to have that be one where you aren't guaranteed a full set of the tan backs and thus do some trading there.

On one hand, I expect to get a bonus at work and will thus likely order another box, but will have to see when I place the order given that it's state basketball tournament time approaching and I might not be around enough days to be there when a box arrives. In fact, I was fortunate as it was windy today and, when I came home, my box had been left on the porch and the wind blew it off -- the box was OK but I'm lucky the winds didn't reach the speeds they did in my hometown of Longmont, Colo. I think Brad knows about the 100-mph winds measured in that part of Colorado (and he may have experienced them himself in Loveland -- I believe that's where Brad lives).

So, yeah -- there's one reason why I sound a little cranky (and on top of that, it wasn't a fun day at the office today). Nothing against Topps or anyone who did the set -- they've done a good job overall, I just wish the collation was better for the base sets for those of us who aren't always able to buy more than one box.

You need to trade then. Post your needs and trades. Get the Tan set done and move on to the rest. Once I get through opening packs I could probably fill all your needs. It won't be tomorrow or next week but if you can wait your wish could be granted.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »
I opened 3 boxes and was painfully short on Ludlows. I need 16 individual stickers to complete a master set and all but 1 of those is a ludlow back. The odd one being a white back. I did, however, end up with 2+ sets of tan backs. Maybe it was just my boxes, but, I thought the collation was poor. I kept opening packs and getting the same sticker groups over and over and over ........
Will post my needs in the near future.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »
Out of 25 boxes, and with a little trading, I ended up with 39 sets, each including 49 stickers and 9 puzzle pieces.  

21 tan
9 white
9 Ludlow (including 3 'pairs' of backs, and 3 extra sets)

I've also got a bunch of extra 'sets' of the logos & promos.  Lots of singles for sticking and magnets, or I could try to build sets with mixed backs.  The puzzles are just out of hand, I've got twice as many as I needed.

If anyone is looking for an extra set, or for a Ludlow pair, LMK.  Those Ludlow pairs were very time consuming to put together!  All in all though, this was a fun set to build.

Corrected 4/8 to include 2 more white back sets I forgot I had at work.  Makes a lot more sense now to have the white and Ludlow sets the same.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:46:19 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Thanks to RawGoo, I am one sticker short of a master set.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 02:25:13 AM »
I still have the white back red logo here for you.  The other was a Ludlow Grave Poupon, right? 

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
 I only bought two boxes and ended up four shy of a master set.

The promo sticker - white back

Lipoff - Ludlow back
Boredom's coffee - Ludlow back
De-Mented tomatoes - Ludlow  back

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »
I picked up 3 boxes.   The first box produced a complete set of 49 tan backs and the puzzle, but I was short 25 whites and ludlows each at that point (duh, simple math).  The 2nd box was a big disappointment because it almost perfectly matched the first box and I counted only 10 cards different from the 1st box!  The third box was magical.  Every pack I opened produced something I needed.  I'm left with just one white back shy of a complete set and I expect to trade for that one.  I was really happy with my Bill Griffeth sketch.  What's not to like about Zippy?

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
In 2 boxes I couldn't make a single complete set. Oddly I got more luds than anything else, I believe I was only short 3 luds. I only got one "Cracked Jerk" which was a white back. Is it common to get doubles of the same title (different back) in a pack? I had about 7 or 8 packs like that.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
In 2 boxes I couldn't make a single complete set. Oddly I got more luds than anything else, I believe I was only short 3 luds. I only got one "Cracked Jerk" which was a white back. Is it common to get doubles of the same title (different back) in a pack? I had about 7 or 8 packs like that.

I had a lot of packs with different back doubles.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
I bought six boxes and was amazed (and annoyed) that I ended up with zero of a handful of cards (white OS4 Promo, Ludlow Moron's Salt, Ludlow of three different base cards) while having six of several others.

That part of the collation drives me nuts!

Don't get me wrong -- I really enjoyed collating these and it was definitely MUCH more random than the ANS boxes I've opened in the past, but there were still some patterns.

And if I didn't have great people (here) to trade with, I would have been rather miffed to not have one complete white or Ludlow set after six boxes! :)

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
I still have the white back red logo here for you.  The other was a Ludlow Grave Poupon, right? 

Correct.

Gimme a few days and I will get my ANS3 list ready and we'll work out payment!
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

anything