Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School The 1980's version - your suggestions?  (Read 12107 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Re: Wacky Packages Old School The 1980's version - your suggestions?
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »
All this talk about old arcade and video games made me think of something I hadn't thought about in a long time -
the main arcade that I played at (besides the student union in college) which is now long gone  - the Fun Terminal in
San Francisco! When I originally played there in the 70s it was still half girlie show booths (I was too young to use them
so don't know how they worked) and half electronic games until the quarter games took over the place. First it was pinball
then the video games - anyway, the place was named and pictured in a classic s.f. punk/new wave album put out by
the mutants called the Fun Terminal - and thanks to 21st century technology, the title track is on youtube! I never saw this
on MTV but did know the album - some classic games here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJ9PVQaE0c

Alex

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »
One of my faves was Scramble. I won my Nickelodeon t-shirt from that game for high score of the week. Not the network but a local arcade we had growing up. They gave away shirts on a selective game of the week. Oh what fun. Our kids will never know this.

Offline kayakguy1963

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
For any other iPad users reading this post about old video games, please check out the Atari Arcade Classics app at the App Store.  One word:  AMAZING!  I mean it.  Huge collection of original games for $9.99 (unlimited play).  Includes Tempest, Millipede, Centipede, Breakout, Asteroids...too many to list.  My favorite app.

Now - my Wacky Packages Old School '80's suggestion:

California Foolers (based on my favorite beverage of that era, California Coolers, citrus flavor).  I loved that stuff.  Too bad they stopped making it.  You're going to have to google the image (dark green label) because I don't know how to post photos.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
Wow, talk about memories. I remember going to a bunch of arcades when I was a kid and finding the games I really loved.

My favorite was Omega Race... pretty easy game to pick up and you could rack up big scores because you got quite a few points for destroying the ships. I actually got pretty far in that game... was so excited when I got the message of defeating the entire first alien fleet.

They had a sit-down version of that game... although I preferred the "traditional" version.

Also loved the driving games, particularly Turbo and Pole Position. And Tempest was another favorite of mine.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
awww, yeah. good stuff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAkOZNP8XIA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAkOZNP8XIA</a>

I loved Berserk.  What is sad is that I probably never would have been able to pull the name of the game.  That computerized "interuder alert" was awesome!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »
Wow, I can't believe so many of you guys actually LIKED "Dragon's Lair".  It's really the game that ruined it all for arcading IMO.  It wasn't a true video game at all.  Just a movie.  To this day, I can't play the RPG-style games on game systems because it irks me every time the controls lock up and you have to watch some stupid video clip furthering the story.  Probably a side-effect of Dragons-Lair-loathing.

So, no one remembers "Tac-Scan", huh?  Man, that was a cool game.  It was like that moment in Galaga when you captured your own abducted ship & got to fire double-shots... except in Tac-Scan you started off with something like 7 ships connected together, and each one would get hit now & then, making you lose one more simultaneous shot.  Starting off with 7, though, you could ravage the enemy ships for a while.

Zaxxon... that was the other one I forgot to mention before.  I remember the graphics in that one really upped the ante at the time.  Before then, Vanguard & Galaga style graphics were as good as it got.  But suddenly there was this 3D-looking Zaxxon game that popped up.  By today's standards, it's pixelated & retro, but then it was mega-cool.

anything