Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School The 1980's version - your suggestions?  (Read 12101 times)

Offline dth1971

Wacky Packages Old School The 1980's version - your suggestions?
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
If you could give a green light for a 1980's version of Wacky Packages Old School, which entries would you choose? Here's mine:

* Trial-Onimoes (Spoofs a 1980's game by Pressman called Tri-Onimoes)
* Retch-ly Tampons (Spoofs Rely Tampons - This was the culprit of the TOXIC SHOCK SYNDROME that lead to a short lived demise in 1980!)
* Jerm (Spoofs the Jem Doll - Truly Outrageous!)
* Goatmeal Swirlers (Spoofs Oatmeal Swirlers)
* Rambo-lin' Root Beer (Spoofs Ramblin' Root Beer)
* Puke-Man Cereal (Spoofs Pac-Man Cereal)
* Halfstings Cereal (Spoofs Quaker Halfsies Cereal)
* Mud-L.T. (Spoofs the 1980's McDonald's McD-L.T. sandwich)
* Hamsters of the Universe (Spoofs the Masters of the Universe figures)
* The Umpire Strikes Out trading cards (Spoofs Topps' 1980's Empire Strikes Back trading cards)

Offline Go_Bum

Re: Wacky Packages Old School The 1980's version - your suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
I would love to see an 80's version. The '85 series was my introduction to wacky packages. :great:

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
Hey guys, this is right up my alley!! :great:

* Mop-It Magazine (Muppet magazine with Kermit as a janitor)
* Creepio's cereal (C-3PO's)
* Bunkers! candy (Bonkers candy with a piece with a Tomas Bunk-drawn face surrounded by drawings)
* Livid yawnflower seeds (David sunflower seeds)
* Cable's Sickened Tubage Soup (Campbell's Chicken Noodle parody related with Cable TV)
* Krazy's Lice Krispies (punk version of Kellogg's Rice Krispies)

pauly

Offline dth1971

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
I thought up a few more:
* Chunky Kong cereal (Spoofs Donkey Kong Cereal)
* E.Tease Cereal (Spoofs E.T. Cereal)
* Le Shook (Spoofs Le Shake - Le Shake was a yogurt in the 1980's that you can drink with a straw like a milkshake!)
* Wildcuts shoes (Spoofs Buster Brown Wildcats shoes)
* Shattergories game (Spoofs Scattergories)
* Lice soda (Spoofs Slice Lemon Lime soda)
* Micro Tragic (Spoofs Micro Magic Microwave French Fries)
* Shrub Free (Spoofs Scrub Free cleaner)

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
Ya, the '85 version is my favorite in terms of presentation, gags, etc.., and I'm certain an 80's version would be met with high approval. Just look at that "I Love the 80's" on VH1. The possibilities are endless.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
There were tons of great products to spoof in the 80s. Would love to see an AS set or three!
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
TJ Swan (fowl tasting wine) - nothing better than a cold duck :)

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »
The Cereal, Granola Bar, and Fruit Snack, and candy parodies alone could fill several series.

Teddy Grahams, Fun Fruits, Kudos all debuted in the 80s.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline WheeljackDude

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »
*The Trashformers (Spoofs the original 1984 Transformers toy; Yeah yeah, we got Trashformers in the ANS6, but it was based on the 2007 movie toy. I want to see the spoof of the 1984 toy)
*Mega Mink (Spoofs the Mega Man NES game; picture an anthropomorphic white mink in a Mega Man outfit)
*Little Miss Snotty (Spoofs the Little Miss Dotty book)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:33:44 AM by WheeljackDude »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
Thought I would bump up this topic since I am posting a Thatababy comic strip from September 30, 2012 with a Care Bears spoof that would fit in a possible Wacky Packages Old School The 1980's series version:

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »
One rough I submitted that they didn't use in the '80s was called BLASTERS OF THEIR UNDERPANTS.  A parody of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE,which showed He-man and Skeletor farting.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
One rough I submitted that they didn't use in the '80s was called BLASTERS OF THEIR UNDERPANTS.  A parody of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE,which showed He-man and Skeletor farting.

I wish you showed us the rough if it exists.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
Here are more OLD SCHOOL 1980's EDITION suggestions:
Bummit Candy Bar (spoofs Summit candy bar)
Grumpma's Cookies (spoofs Grandma's cookies)
Drunken Hines Alcoholic Chip Cookies (spoofs Duncan Hines Chocolate Chip Cookies)

Offline REDdimension

• Anal-retentive Completist Dork
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 05:20:07 AM »
An OLDS'80s would be missing a glorious opportunity if it didn't have a set of Lame Games.  The '80s were the real launchpad for video games, and there are dozens of very recognizable vintage arcade games which are just ripe for parody.

• Space Invaders
  • Pac-Man
  • Donkey Kong
  • Tempest
  • Centipede
  • Defender
  • Frogger
  • Q*Bert
  • Galaga
  • Asteroids
  • Tapper

...just off the top of my head.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
An OLDS'80s would be missing a glorious opportunity if it didn't have a set of Lame Games. 

I recognize them all except Q*Bert and Tapper. I really should have skipped more school. Dig Dug was a big favorite of mine. I guess I should say, still is. I sometimes watch my 9 year old playing Dig Dug type video games on TV and get frustrated that he won't let me explain any of my strategies to him, lol (modern meaning)

In the early 80’s in high school my buddies and I were drinking inexpensive beer, such as Lucky Lager, Meister Brau, Black Label, and Hamms. Some of us used to like this stuff, Malt Duck. Maybe it is a bit obscure. It came in little bottles and maybe large quarts or 40’s. Had a good kick to it. Would possibly make a good 80’s parody. Don’t think they make it anymore. Can't think of a gag right now...

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/MaltDuck.png[/expando]

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
An OLDS'80s would be missing a glorious opportunity if it didn't have a set of Lame Games.  The '80s were the real launchpad for video games, and there are dozens of very recognizable vintage arcade games which are just ripe for parody.

• Space Invaders
  • Tapper

BURGER TIME, JOUST, and SUPER MARIO BROTHERS where other favorites in the crowd I ran with. I also really liked a game called TAC SCAN, but not sure that was very popular. One of my friends was really into the Don Bluth animated games like SPACE ACE and DRAGON'S LAIR. I thought these were cool to look at, but we're basically memorization and timing with limited replay value.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline REDdimension

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
BURGER TIME, JOUST, and SUPER MARIO BROTHERS where other favorites in the crowd I ran with. I also really liked a game called TAC SCAN, but not sure that was very popular. One of my friends was really into the Don Bluth animated games like SPACE ACE and DRAGON'S LAIR. I thought these were cool to look at, but we're basically memorization and timing with limited replay value.
All good ones.  I liked Tac Scan too.  :)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
Maybe for Wacky Packages Old School 5 in late 2013 there should be a seperate subset of 9 or 10 Wacky Packages style entries of 1980's products mixed in with the base 33 of 1970's era products.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »
All good ones.  I liked Tac Scan too.  :)

Tac Scan was hard! I'm a donkey kong fan myself along with Galaga and Ateroids. I've loved every game with Mario or Donkey Kong.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

• Space Invaders
  • Pac-Man
  • Donkey Kong
  • Tempest
  • Centipede
  • Defender
  • Frogger
  • Q*Bert
  • Galaga
  • Asteroids
  • Tapper

"Battlezone" and "Tron" definitely belong on that list of classics.  And maybe "Xevious" and "Vanguard", too.  Just make sure the list stops before "Dragon's Lair", because that's the game that totally killed the fun of arcades when it came out.  It broke the 25-cent barrier, costing 2-quarters for the first time, and used laser disc pre-recorded movies instead of graphics.  You had to just memorize which direction to move and when for the movie to play right.  Lame!  Besides Battlezone, the one I miss the most is a rare one, called, "Tac-Scan".  Didn't last long in the arcades, but was really cool.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
Missile Command and an obscure game called Lady Bug are ones I haven't seen on anyone's list yet.

Slightly OT, Back in the 60s, there was a product called Shake-a-pudding  - does anyone remember that? I made my mom buy this when I was sick, and it was awful! You shook this can/packet of liquids and I'm guessing powders until it solidified into an artificial tasting vanilla like pudding. First time I got completely suckered by tv adverting! As far as I know, this short-lived product was never parodied by WP.
A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »
"Battlezone" and "Tron" definitely belong on that list of classics.  And maybe "Xevious" and "Vanguard", too.  Just make sure the list stops before "Dragon's Lair", because that's the game that totally killed the fun of arcades when it came out.  It broke the 25-cent barrier, costing 2-quarters for the first time, and used laser disc pre-recorded movies instead of graphics.  You had to just memorize which direction to move and when for the movie to play right.  Lame!  Besides Battlezone, the one I miss the most is a rare one, called, "Tac-Scan".  Didn't last long in the arcades, but was really cool.

Do you realize that if you knew every move on Dragon's Lair that the game would be over in about 5 min.? I've seen a walkthrough and it goes fast.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
Aaahh!  I remember when Dragon's Lair came out at the arcade, it was freakin' incredible!

There was an arcade my parents took me to down near Soremel's territory.  Brings back
great memories!  There was also this interactive OK-Corral-style shoot 'em game where
you stood in front of a big video screen, very realistic, with a holster nearby and one-by-one, a tough
Western guy would start walking towards you and would start to shoot, but I think
needed to wait for a red dot or something on the screen to appear.  If you beat him to
the draw (and it was tough, I recall) the video would play out and he would die a dramatic
death.  Otherwise, he'd smile at you and move along to his next "victim."

Great game!  Those were the days!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 07:47:58 PM »

• Space Invaders
  • Pac-Man
  • Donkey Kong
  • Tempest
  • Centipede
  • Defender
  • Frogger
  • Q*Bert
  • Galaga
  • Asteroids
  • Tapper

Loved Q*bert...stunk at it, but loved it!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:40 AM »
.... Just make sure the list stops before "Dragon's Lair", because that's the game that totally killed the fun of arcades when it came out.  It broke the 25-cent barrier, costing 2-quarters for the first time, and used laser disc pre-recorded movies instead of graphics.  You had to just memorize which direction to move and when for the movie to play right.  Lame!  ......

"Space Ace" was like that too, wasn't it?

The only arcade games I recall beating were "Cloak & Dagger", and the "Return of the Jedi" game.  I got through a LOT of levels on Tempest, but never found out if there was an actual end.  Another one I spent a lot of quarters on was "Space Duel" - that was great with a teammate!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »

It's one of my faves as well. I had it for my Commodore 64 and played the heck out of it. I couldn't even tell you now what my high score was but me and my buddy got to some pretty tough levels. I do have it for my arcade cab but haven't even turned on the cab for a couple years now. Too many other things to keep me distracted.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
I loved that the whole machine would "thunk" when Qbert stepped off the edge!  More fun than keeping him hopping along!

My favorite game was Zookeeper.  I was the abolsute best and would put up high score on every machine I could find.  I mastered 500,000 and 1,000,000 point jumps when most people couldn't even score 500,000 as their final score.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline dth1971

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
With this talk on 1980's video games, too bad in 1999 the planned Wacky Packages/Garbage Pail Kids style "WACKY HACKERS" never got off the ground.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
I don't know how many people here have seen the Disney movie WRECK IT RALPH that came out a few months ago, but it is terrific and dove tails in with this discussion of '80s video games perfectly. My son and I agree that this movie has more of a Pixar flavor to it than the standard Disney fair. They did an excellent job of intertwining actual video games with the ones made up for the movie to introduce the main characters. Lots of little tips-o'-the-hat and homages to some of the classic video games. Q*bert gets a few nice moments, for example. A really fun flick for those with fond memories of plunking quarters and seeing how long you could keep it going. For me, the game that kept me going back to the arcade was BURGER TIME. I could usually make a quarter last about 20 to 25 minutes... longer on a good day. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
I don't know how many people here have seen the Disney movie WRECK IT RALPH that came out a few months ago, but it is terrific and dove tails in with this discussion of '80s video games perfectly. My son and I agree that this movie has more of a Pixar flavor to it than the standard Disney fair. They did an excellent job of intertwining actual video games with the ones made up for the movie to introduce the main characters. Lots of little tips-o'-the-hat and homages to some of the classic video games.

That was an interesting movie. I appreciated it more than my 9 year old, who is more a member of the Wii generation

I am remembering some video game that said, “Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert!” but not sure exactly what it was. I used to skip school to play that game. I should remember it!

How about a parody of ALF?          … maybe RALPH, who has a drinking problem

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
That was an interesting movie. I appreciated it more than my 9 year old, who is more a member of the Wii generation

I am remembering some video game that said, “Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert!” but not sure exactly what it was. I used to skip school to play that game. I should remember it!

How about a parody of ALF?          … maybe RALPH, who has a drinking problem

That would be "Berzerk" ...from the era in which I played Astroids for 39hrs on a quarter to get into the record books...can post pic if interested LOL!
Fun memories before college ;) ....  "Dragon's Lair" helped after exams -- Daphne was hot!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:57:07 PM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
I am remembering some video game that said, “Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert!” but not sure exactly what it was.
awww, yeah. good stuff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAkOZNP8XIA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAkOZNP8XIA</a>

Offline REDdimension

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
I loved that the whole machine would "thunk" when Qbert stepped off the edge!  More fun than keeping him hopping along!

My favorite game was Zookeeper.  I was the abolsute best and would put up high score on every machine I could find.  I mastered 500,000 and 1,000,000 point jumps when most people couldn't even score 500,000 as their final score.
Oh, wow -- I thought I was the only person who remembered Zookeeper!  Awesome game, but that lion was a pain!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
Oh, wow -- I thought I was the only person who remembered Zookeeper!  Awesome game, but that lion was a pain!
Yes, the key was to keep them all running in the same direction.  Did you ever make it to the level where the coconut drop bars are invisible, this is the level to get the extra life.  Now THAT was a tough level.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
One game I haven't seen in awhile is Robotron - had the home version which of course didn't compare to the arcade game. Too much flickering!

anything