Author Topic: OLD School 3 Shipped!!!!!!  (Read 34893 times)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

Re: OLD School 3 Shipped!!!!!!
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
Dr Popper is a print and paper guy. I’ll bet he is pulling out his calipers at this moment.            :D
I know 100 % he is having a healthy brunch at the moment
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
Go grab an original series tan back and an OLDS 3 one. Betcha can't tell the difference in thickness...

Just for kicks I measured them vs. an original tanback and they are almost identical.  They both come in around 7.5PT in thickness and weigh around an 80# Cover weight.  They obviously tried to match the old tanback stock in look and feel and did a very good job.  The new ones might feel a little more flimsy but that could have something to do with their age.

Personally I love them thin!  Putting them in binder sleeves shouldn't be an issue unless you are using wavy thick sleeves such as Ultra Pro.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2012, 07:47:57 AM »
Dr Popper is a print and paper guy. I’ll bet he is pulling out his calipers at this moment.            :D

Haha.....you nailed that one!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
Just for kicks I measured them vs. an original tanback and they are almost identical.  They both come in around 7.5PT in thickness and weigh around an 80# Cover weight.  They obviously tried to match the old tanback stock in look and feel and did a very good job.  The new ones might feel a little more flimsy but that could have something to do with their age.

Personally I love them thin!  Putting them in binder sleeves shouldn't be an issue unless you are using wavy thick sleeves such as Ultra Pro.
Chip made it sound obvious from the blurred ebay picture. It can't come down to thickness.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:13 AM »
Chip made it sound obvious from the blurred ebay picture. It can't come down to thickness.

No no, I was responding the the question of whether the Olds tans were thinner than the originals, not about the variation.  I am going to search for that variation tonight though!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
No no, I was responding the the question of whether the Olds tans were thinner than the originals, not about the variation.  I am going to search for that variation tonight though!
WHAT DID YOUR HEALTHY BRUNCH CONSIST OF?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »

Sorry, we are getting too many OLDS3 threads going. I still have Chips variation on the brain. I can't see what it could possibly be.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
My box came today.

Oddly, it had 2 OS3 posters in it!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
My box came today.

Oddly, it had 2 OS3 posters in it!

Wha'd you expect, series 1?!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »
So my shipment finally arrived late yesterday, no idea exactly when.  I haven't had the time nor the inclination to crack it open since I don't have the time to make chaser sets nor really get into this set.  So....do I just sell this unopened Topps shipper of 6 OLDS3 boxes on ebay?  Do I crack open one box, keep a sealed box and sell the other 4 boxes?  Zero chance I am going to kill the 6 boxes..Is there any interest in the secondary market for unopened boxes yet?  Are they even holding their "cost" value?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
So my shipment finally arrived late yesterday, no idea exactly when.  I haven't had the time nor the inclination to crack it open since I don't have the time to make chaser sets nor really get into this set.  So....do I just sell this unopened Topps shipper of 6 OLDS3 boxes on ebay?  Do I crack open one box, keep a sealed box and sell the other 4 boxes?  Zero chance I am going to kill the 6 boxes..Is there any interest in the secondary market for unopened boxes yet?  Are they even holding their "cost" value?

Ernie, you gotta at least open 2 boxes. Like everyone was saying, this is probably the best Olds Set so far. My only complaint about it was the tan backs being very thin and everyone one here jumped on me for that like I was blasphemous or something. I still say they are too thin. Any way, my point is I think you would really enjoy them and after opening 2 boxes you will probably want to open another or two.
Don't know about the market right now on unopened boxes since the series is still available on the Topps site.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Ernie, you gotta at least open 2 boxes. Like everyone was saying, this is probably the best Olds Set so far. My only complaint about it was the tan backs being very thin and everyone one here jumped on me for that like I was blasphemous or something. I still say they are too thin. Any way, my point is I think you would really enjoy them and after opening 2 boxes you will probably want to open another or two.
Don't know about the market right now on unopened boxes since the series is still available on the Topps site.

Do you think they are thinner than OldS2? I won't have my boxes till tomorrow so I can't compare them yet.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
Do you think they are thinner than OldS2? I won't have my boxes till tomorrow so I can't compare them yet.

I don't know, they're probably the same as Olds 2. It just was annoying to me because it almost felt like the card was melting in my hand so to speak. Members here deducted that it is the same gauge as the original TB's, but I guess the original TB's got more rigid over time?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »
I don't know, they're probably the same as Olds 2. It just was annoying to me because it almost felt like the card was melting in my hand so to speak. Members here deducted that it is the same gauge as the original TB's, but I guess the original TB's got more rigid over time?

I think the originals are slightly more rigid than the new ones, but it's pretty close.  It really comes down to personal preference.  I probably prefer the tans because that's mainly what I collected as a kid.  I love the feel of the tanbacks but I know others don't and prefer them to be more like the rigid whites.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
I think the originals are slightly more rigid than the new ones, but it's pretty close.  It really comes down to personal preference.  I probably prefer the tans because that's mainly what I collected as a kid.  I love the feel of the tanbacks but I know others don't and prefer them to be more like the rigid whites.

I like the tans as well, I just don't want to feel like I cant enjoy them because I have to be soooo crazy careful. BTW, someone was saying that the Ultra Pro 9 card sleeves weren't good. So what then is the recommendation?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
I like the tans as well, I just don't want to feel like I cant enjoy them because I have to be soooo crazy careful. BTW, someone was saying that the Ultra Pro 9 card sleeves weren't good. So what then is the recommendation?

I use Staples sleeves but any sleeves from an office supply store will be compatible.  They are thinner and are never wavy.  I've stored most of my cards that way for 10+ years and never had a problem.  Plus I can get more in the binders because they are thinner.  The only drawback is that they are a little cloudier, meaning they aren't quite as clear as Ultra Pros or BCW's, but most people probably wouldn't even notice. 

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
got my first shipment today. As always, they leave the nearby distribution hub bright and early, but I never see them until much, much later
I was surprised they reached my house before 5. a nice surprise!

02/22/2012    6:09 A.M.   Out For Delivery
02/22/2012    3:25 P.M.   Delivered

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »

I haven't even got my 2 boxes yet, If I had a little extra spending money on me right now, I'd buy your 6. There are many friends off of the forum that I want to see get at least a tan back set, I know I'm not you, But if I were, I would open 1, keep 1 sealed, and sell the other 4. Just my 2 cents of course.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:59 AM »

I would buy those boxes from you as well...if you willing to sell...of course with a forum "discount" as Topps is still selling boxes on their site...pls give the forum a chance first before "evilbay"...my 3 cents...

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »

I haven't even got my 2 boxes yet, If I had a little extra spending money on me right now, I'd buy your 6. There are many friends off of the forum that I want to see get at least a tan back set, I know I'm not you, But if I were, I would open 1, keep 1 sealed, and sell the other 4. Just my 2 cents of course.

AMEN, HALLELUJAH, HOORAY, WOO-HOO. OK NOW THAT I HAVE EVERYBODY'S ATTENTION, MY 2 BOXES FINALLY ARRIVED AT THE SHOE HOUSEHOLD THIS 6TH DAY OF MAR. BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY POSTS ABOUT WANT LIST'S, PLEASE SEND ME A PM FOR WHAT YOU STILL NEED YET.

Taz

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »

AMEN, HALLELUJAH, HOORAY, WOO-HOO. OK NOW THAT I HAVE EVERYBODY'S ATTENTION, MY 2 BOXES FINALLY ARRIVED AT THE SHOE HOUSEHOLD THIS 6TH DAY OF MAR. BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY POSTS ABOUT WANT LIST'S, PLEASE SEND ME A PM FOR WHAT YOU STILL NEED YET.

It's about time  :D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »

You mean your Pre-order boxes finally arrived? Say it isn't so. 

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
It's about time  :D

Yeah I know it's about time they got here, And I'm sure there is a very good reason for the long delay, But I'll probably never find out why.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
You mean your Pre-order boxes finally arrived? Say it isn't so. 

Yeah Jeff, It is so, They arrived in the Shoe hallway sometime between 1:30 and 2:30 yesterday.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »

Yeah I know it's about time they got here, And I'm sure there is a very good reason for the long delay, But I'll probably never find out why.

Shoe, check the boxes passport. See all the beautiful places its been. Serious, check the tracking number, it had to have stalled somewhere.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »
Shoe, check the boxes passport. See all the beautiful places its been. Serious, check the tracking number, it had to have stalled somewhere.

LOL Good one Jim, I wonder how many beautiful countries, states, etc. they went through-Again LOL. Because I didn't get involved with the pre-order sale and didn't get an e-mail not. I would say there was no tracking no.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
Because I didn't get involved with the pre-order sale and didn't get an e-mail not. I would say there was no tracking no.
If it was shipped UPS, I believe there is always a tracking number on the shipping label. Give it a look if you haven't thrown it out yet. It would be fun to see where that box has been.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2012, 06:22:59 PM »

LOL Good one Jim, I wonder how many beautiful countries, states, etc. they went through-Again LOL. Because I didn't get involved with the pre-order sale and didn't get an e-mail not. I would say there was no tracking no.

Shoe - did you just receive a pre-order that you ordered directly from Topps last year, whereas all the rest of us got our pre-orders weeks ago?  That would be terrible.  Or, did you order boxes after the regular release?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:26:35 PM by RawGoo »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »

Yeah Jeff, It is so, They arrived in the Shoe hallway sometime between 1:30 and 2:30 yesterday.
No it isn't so, you didn't order them from the website during the preorder process according to what you told me.  I don't think it fair to make it sound like the Topps regular preorder service just only now sent you your boxes.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
No it isn't so, you didn't order them from the website during the preorder process according to what you told me.  I don't think it fair to make it sound like the Topps regular preorder service just only now sent you your boxes.

I think we need to educate the Shoe on a little thing called a credit card...LOL
Topps doesn't accept checks, as far as I know, so he used a third party to purchase.
I, personally, can't imagine using a check, ever. I just had to write one for the DMV and it felt strange. Checks are close to death. The industry drops about 10% a year. It must because of deaths. Now the hot trend is mobile payments. Within the next year or so you will just text a payment.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »
Within the next year or so you will just text a payment.

They are getting close. Chase bank has something called Quick Pay right now, which lets you pay person-to-person (for FREE!) through email or mobile phone #. Check it out:

Main Page:
https://www.chase.com/online/services/quickpay.htm

FAQ:
https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/individuals/shared/page/quickpay_faqs

All that's required is either the payer or payee have a Chase checking account, and both signed up with Quick Pay. Could this be the PayPal killer we've been waiting for?  :evil6:  I see something about funds availability when it's less than $500, but doesn't say anything about transfers in amounts greater than $500... Hmmm.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »

If it took too long - maybe there is a new breed of 'box searchers' like the pack searchers that ruin it in the local stores. Somewhere, during transit, the box searchers made their move.  >(
Hope you get some good pulls!

It looks like from reading to the end of these posts that this was not your pre-order, but regular order of when they became available. ? Still seems long if you ordered right away.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »

I would like to Thank Brad, Ernie, Jeff, Jim, Kevin, Pat, and Patrick for their input here and concern about my boxes, Although I did save the box they came in and still have the tracking UPS no. on the box, It really doesn't matter to me where they may have been held up. The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that I do have them and am looking forward to helping not only the ones I mentioned here, But anyone else on here that still has some holes to fill in on this series.