Author Topic: First Series "Cloth" Stickers  (Read 3559 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
First Series "Cloth" Stickers
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »
Anyone know if there were ever uncut sheets of the "Cloth Patches" circulating around? The reason I ask, I recently got about 20 Series 1 cloth stickers in various conditions. Some have been cut down smaller than a standard card but others are regular card sized or even larger. Most of the larger than normal size ones have irregular cuts (non-straight) on one or more sides. These appear to me to have been hand cut from a large sheet. The ones that are cut large definitley have the nylon material covering the entire backing portion and the backing is partly die cut into as is usually the case. On some of the ones cut larger than normal, you can see the copyright from the adjoining cart. Will have to add some scans later, my PC needs to be rebooted to return scanned to working order. Just curious how these irregular sized cards came about.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: First Series "Cloth" Stickers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »
I've long wondered that too. There was a couple year period from '04-'06 where I monitored a seller on ebay who just kept auctioning set after set after set of cloth stickers. within 2 years he had sold 19 sets. I bought one of them, and although most cards were perfect sized, there was one oddball one larger than the rest.
did he just happen to have a huge stack of cloth stickers, like that guys that had dozens of sets of Shedd's cards? or did he maybe have a couple full sheets that he had cut up?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »
Anyone know if there were ever uncut sheets of the "Cloth Patches" circulating around? The reason I ask, I recently got about 20 Series 1 cloth stickers in various conditions. Some have been cut down smaller than a standard card but others are regular card sized or even larger. Most of the larger than normal size ones have irregular cuts (non-straight) on one or more sides. These appear to me to have been hand cut from a large sheet. The ones that are cut large definitley have the nylon material covering the entire backing portion and the backing is partly die cut into as is usually the case. On some of the ones cut larger than normal, you can see the copyright from the adjoining cart. Will have to add some scans later, my PC needs to be rebooted to return scanned to working order. Just curious how these irregular sized cards came about.
We all stumbled across and uncut sheet at the Parsippany show or Philly show years ago.  I believe Brian L bought it.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:34:45 AM »
We all stumbled across and uncut sheet at the Parsippany show or Philly show years ago.  I believe Brian L bought it.

Was that sheet you are referring to beat up pretty bad?  If so I think I remember it.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »

The more I examine these cloth stickers that I got, the more I am convinced they had to be cut from a sheet. Even some of the ones that are cut narrower than a regular sticker are taller than a regular sticker. Shame that whoever did the cutting didn't take more care in the process. Some of these are in great shape otherwise.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »

Hey Ern, you are correct...  I purchased that sheet from P. Hammelberg for $400, and partially restored the stickers that were peeling (approx. 5 or 6).  Then, I sold it to Mike Crist, who quickly traded it to a collector in exchange for two pieces of artwork (Moron Chicken & My Sink Perfume).  He really got a great deal... Those were the dayzzzz.... :o)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »

Hey Ern, you are correct...  I purchased that sheet from P. Hammelberg for $400, and partially restored the stickers that were peeling (approx. 5 or 6).  Then, I sold it to Mike Crist, who quickly traded it to a collector in exchange for two pieces of artwork (Moron Chicken & My Sink Perfume).  He really got a great deal... Those were the dayzzzz.... :o)
yeah, I remember we all hemmed and hawed as we had no sense of the market for sheets.  You were the smart one!  I recall your cleanup job was fanstastik!  How many of these sheets have shown up since?  I am not aware of any.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
yeah, I remember we all hemmed and hawed as we had no sense of the market for sheets.  You were the smart one!  I recall your cleanup job was fanstastik!  How many of these sheets have shown up since?  I am not aware of any.

I only recall hearing of 2 other complete cloth sheets.  I believe Toppsvault may have auctioned off 1 of them, and the other was a guy out west that wanted $4K+ for it... not sure what ever happened to that one.

anything