Author Topic: OS Demand & Pricing trending up?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Kook

OS Demand & Pricing trending up?
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
After seeing average+ 1st & 14th sets selling for $646 & $255 respectively

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Topps-Wacky-Packages-complete-1st-series-sticker-set-/320827677197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2d1da0d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-Wacky-Packages-complete-14th-series-TAN-back-sticker-set-/320827680841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2d1e849

& considering the fact that I'm starting to loose a lot more os auctions than before over the past 6 mos to year with comparable pricing, I'm getting the feeling that there's some pent up demand for NICER os stuff. Does anyone else have any thoughts on os item price trends, pent up demand from a lack of really nice os items on ebay lately (although a few gems have popped up over the past week - a nice cracked animals, 1st & 4th display boxes & a bunch of os wrappers) or how the economy or new collectors may be figuring into this? Or am I off on my assessment?

Offline Bigmuc13

Re: OS Demand & Pricing trending up?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Hey Bill, well, I don't think that much has really changed over the past 10 years when it comes to the nicer stuff.  Very high end conditioned Wacky's have always held a high premium.  I think mostly because there have always been those high end collectors around, and they don't bother to bid on the regular or decent stuff.  But, they all come out when the PSA 9 ot 10 type stuff comes up for bidding because those types of collectors are always looking to upgrade their current collection.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
I do think the two auctions Bill cited ended higher than expected, mostly because the condition of the sets is not really super high grade. The prices realized in these auctions are what I would expect for NM sets with detailed scans.

When were 1st and 4th series boxes on ebay? I check ebay every day and yet I always seem to miss stuff.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
Dave,  I had the auctions saved and bid on the first series box, but lost out.  I believe it went for a little over $400.  It was in pretty decent shape, but there were not a lot of photos.  The series 4 box was in great shape on the bottom, but had part of the outer top rim torn off, and it went for I think around $140 if I rememeber correctly.  The first series box also came with 4 wrappers. Both auctions ended 5-6 days ago. I am sure someone here still has them bookmarked and can post them for the exact info.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Kook

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
I do think the two auctions Bill cited ended higher than expected, mostly because the condition of the sets is not really super high grade. The prices realized in these auctions are what I would expect for NM sets with detailed scans.

When were 1st and 4th series boxes on ebay? I check ebay every day and yet I always seem to miss stuff.

Here's the first series box:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-STICKERS-RARE-1ST-ISSUE-BOX-VINTAGE-TOYS-NON-SPORT-RARE-/140680036153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c12eff39

here's the 4th series box:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-STICKERS-RARE-4TH-BLUE-ISSUE-BOX-VINTAGE-TOY-NON-SPORT-RARE-/140681071481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c13ecb79

Here's another beauty:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-WACKY-PACKAGES-RARE-38-CRACKED-ANIMALS-VHTF-/260935930109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc0fe50fd

I've seen many 1st series sets over the last 6 months or so sell in the $200-$350 range for exc- to exc+. The first series mentioned above didn't seem exceptional to me. The bandache was way off center & the pics were blurry. 14th sets have been in the $80s to $120s.

I've just noticed the bidding get quite a bit more competitive for os unpicked collections & for nicer smaller raw lots. I'm not sure if there's a pent up demand bursting, new collectors coming into the market, or if the economy is picking up a bit or some combination.

I've also noticed some nicer lots & a few harder to find items trickling into what has been a relatively hum drum market lately. With all the very low auction results to my recent memory, I think many people are hesitating to list high ticket items in fear of getting a dirt cheap price. Seems to me that there is also a backlog of nicer items coming down the pike. I hope so, since I have many holes to plug in my collection and the crickets have been chirping for a while.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:18:50 AM by billf »

Offline Kook

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
Hey Bill, well, I don't think that much has really changed over the past 10 years when it comes to the nicer stuff.  Very high end conditioned Wacky's have always held a high premium.  I think mostly because there have always been those high end collectors around, and they don't bother to bid on the regular or decent stuff.  But, they all come out when the PSA 9 ot 10 type stuff comes up for bidding because those types of collectors are always looking to upgrade their current collection.

I agree about the stratospheric psa9s & psa10s and ultra rare stuff. PSA collectors seem to be a whole other breed. I also see exc/exc- and below lots to be very soft. My observation is that for larger collections of unpicked decent looking material, slightly more difficult os items in decent condition and more detailed listings for [advertised] nm everyday os wacky singles & lots, the bidding is becoming much more competitive. I'm always looking to upgrade my collection, so I watch & bid fairly regularly on these types of lots. I'm curious to know the causes... I can come up with - new collectors coming into the market, people shifting focus to upgrading, the economy getting better, or supply drying up. I'm interested in other people's opinions & observations about this.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
The same seller who had the series 4 box ($188 final price) had several lots of wrappers also ending Sunday night.  I'm looking for decent examples of red and orange wrappers, but the lots were too big for my needs.

anything