Author Topic: ANS 9  (Read 189416 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: ANS 9
« Reply #630 on: September 08, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »

I really know where you're coming from with the titles included in the new poster release.  I know art is subjective, but I don't think they did a great job picking titles.  On Topps Wacky Packages Facebook page, I suggested just what you are - that we fans could vote for at least some of the titles.  I've kinda been going back and forth on what I'll get for this series.  If the lineup was stronger, I wouldn't hesitate to get a few boxes.   As it is, I may go that route or I may just pick up a set on ebay (if they even show up there).

Just keep in mind that the titles may have been selected more based on the size of the original art than they were based on what they thought fans would like.  If they had to scan the smaller ones they would look "soft" when printed at the larger format for posters. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #631 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
At least then that was practical thinking. So, do they look great? I think someone had mentioned that their poster image looked real good reminding them of original art.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #632 on: September 11, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »

I waited a while and bought a batch of sketches to get my "one per artist" goal.  I posted my "Ping" in a previous post and since there are 10 artists to go in 9-pocket pages I'm not showing that one here (ANS9 was brutal for 9-pocket displays; if it wasn't for the dropped tag title every subset would have carried over 1!).............

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #633 on: September 14, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »
What is a match print? I've never heard that before.
eBay auction: #320982442828

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #634 on: September 14, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
Sounds like the original was photographed then possibly reprinted? Strange.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #635 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »
What is a match print?
a way to make more money?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #636 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
a way to make more money?

I think you nailed it! :great:

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #638 on: September 19, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
What is a match print? I've never heard that before.
eBay auction: #320982442828

Brad,

A match print is a high res output that's used to proof the printed art against the original art.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #639 on: September 19, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
Brad,

A match print is a high res output that's used to proof the printed art against the original art.

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why they haven't sold them in the past?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: September 19, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why they haven't sold them in the past?

I wonder what prevents them from producing more for sale later......

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #641 on: September 20, 2012, 06:02:44 AM »

Probably nothing. I'm sure they'll make that corporate decision after seeing how much this goes for.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #642 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
Brad,

Thanks for the info.  I would be interested in some high res pics of some of my favorite Wackys.  Given limited budget and wall space, however, it would have to be some original titles or only my very favorites of ANS.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #643 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
Probably nothing. I'm sure they'll make that corporate decision after seeing how much this goes for.

Hard to bid it up higher when they might just list another next week.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #644 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
2012 Topps Wacky Packages Series #9 Original Match Print Photo! Moose Attacks. This exclusive eBay auction features an original full color match print photo created and used in the 2012 Topps Wacky Packages Series #9 stickers set. Original in every way, this heavy photo-stock match print measures approx. 8 1/2" X 10" and overall, is in excellent condition. For authenticity, the official Topps serial numbered hologram is affixed onto the reverse side (see sample photo). Match print is encased in a clear lucite cardholder and comes with an official Topps Vault certificate of authenticity. This is a one-time offer from the Topps Vault. Please visit our other sports and pop culture auctions on eBay!

It sounds like they are saying this proof was used during the production of ANS9. If they produce more to sell in the future, they won't be able to truthfully make that particular claim, although I’d think very few buyers would notice that hair splitting point.

I don’t see that they say only one of these was made for each title. I'd think they would state that if it was the case. It does sound strange and excessive how they say, “Original in every way”

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #645 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
2012 Topps Wacky Packages Series #9 Original Match Print Photo! Moose Attacks. This exclusive eBay auction features an original full color match print photo created and used in the 2012 Topps Wacky Packages Series #9 stickers set. Original in every way, this heavy photo-stock match print measures approx. 8 1/2" X 10" and overall, is in excellent condition. For authenticity, the official Topps serial numbered hologram is affixed onto the reverse side (see sample photo). Match print is encased in a clear lucite cardholder and comes with an official Topps Vault certificate of authenticity. This is a one-time offer from the Topps Vault. Please visit our other sports and pop culture auctions on eBay!

It sounds like they are saying this proof was used during the production of ANS9. If they produce more to sell in the future, they won't be able to truthfully make that particular claim, although I’d think very few buyers would notice that hair splitting point.

I don’t see that they say only one of these was made for each title. I'd think they would state that if it was the case. It does sound strange and excessive how they say, “Original in every way”

I dont think i've ever seen Topps put up two of the same item.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #646 on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »

I dont think i've ever seen Topps put up two of the same item.

Oh no, the flood gates have been opened for a few of the horror stories from the past...
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
Just to touch back on the subject. It looks like this guy is pack searching for personal gain. Buy em all sell the re-repositioned packs back to an unsuspecting public...i would guess at a loss. Most of his other auctions are for chunks of packs that have been fingered. But, he still gets to cherry pick the packs. Probably a rookie trying to get a groove for jerking the cards into propper peeking position.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-Wacky-Packages-NEW-42-Packs-FACTORY-SEALED-/280971941915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416b3b981b

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: September 21, 2012, 04:32:10 AM »

That's just what made me question whether this is a on-of-a-kind, or whether it might be reprinted at any time for more sales.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #649 on: September 21, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »

They're relatively expensive, so a printer typically makes just one. However, it's possible that if a client needed multiple copies, they could have them made. But they'd better have really deep pockets!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: September 21, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
They're relatively expensive, so a printer typically makes just one. However, it's possible that if a client needed multiple copies, they could have them made. But they'd better have really deep pockets!

It went for $113.61.  I wonder why they've never offered these match prints before to recoup/defray their costs?

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #651 on: September 21, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »
It went for $113.61.  I wonder why they've never offered these match prints before to recoup/defray their costs?

I've had match prints made for clients that cost as much as $600. But those were pretty complex jobs. Most companies choose to go with less expensive options when color isn't a critical factor.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: September 22, 2012, 05:39:37 AM »
I've had match prints made for clients that cost as much as $600. But those were pretty complex jobs. Most companies choose to go with less expensive options when color isn't a critical factor.

Wow!  Thanks for the info Neil.  If these are so expensive, Topps should have identified the item as unique, as people might have been willing to bid higher.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #653 on: September 24, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
How is everyone doing in terms of getting sketches for this series?  I have to admit ANS 9  turned out to be very tough.  I've been only looking to get one example but have yet to find the right fit in terms of a cool sketch and price.  At this point on ANS 8 (2 months after release) I had purchased 5 sketches without even trying.  It's interesting because the odds are twice as good in this series. 

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #654 on: September 24, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
How is everyone doing in terms of getting sketches for this series?  I have to admit ANS 9  turned out to be very tough.  I've been only looking to get one example but have yet to find the right fit in terms of a cool sketch and price.  At this point on ANS 8 (2 months after release) I had purchased 5 sketches without even trying.  It's interesting because the odds are twice as good in this series. 

I can't complain but I am pretty much done opening packs for this series and have already exceeded what I thought I would open. I couldn't even complete my Magnets, Apps or Pink set w/o trading and I know that I opened a 24 pk box, 2 bonus boxes, 9 jumbo packs, and at least 35 GF packs. I did not expect a Sketch to show up in those packs but - I did get lucky and got a Gold card I sold on ebay and recouped most of what I spent on this series. I know what you mean about not seeing the amount of sketches on ebay, but the one's that I do see for this series look really good.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #655 on: September 24, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »

I still don't have one either. I'm moving forward. OLDS4 in a couple months then you will have more sketches than you will know what to do with!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #656 on: September 25, 2012, 05:21:06 AM »
What is the pull ratio for the sketches in ANS8 and ANS9?  I was lucky enough to get one in the lone ANS9 retail box I bought this time around, and really didn't know whether I was incredibly lucky or if every box has one.

For that matter, I don't see as much chatter about the pull ratios of inserts in general - I remember back around ANS5 or ANS6 they cut the frequency of foils in half, from like 1:4 to 1:8 or something like that, and a lot was said about it at the time, but there hasn't been much talk about it of late.  I assume that's because Topps has settled on pull ratios which have remained the same, but I'm not sure.  Has anyone compiled complete information on this?  Would also help to assess relative trading value when trading inserts from past sets.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #657 on: September 25, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
What is the pull ratio for the sketches in ANS8 and ANS9?  I was lucky enough to get one in the lone ANS9 retail box I bought this time around, and really didn't know whether I was incredibly lucky or if every box has one.

For that matter, I don't see as much chatter about the pull ratios of inserts in general - I remember back around ANS5 or ANS6 they cut the frequency of foils in half, from like 1:4 to 1:8 or something like that, and a lot was said about it at the time, but there hasn't been much talk about it of late.  I assume that's because Topps has settled on pull ratios which have remained the same, but I'm not sure.  Has anyone compiled complete information on this?  Would also help to assess relative trading value when trading inserts from past sets.

Here you go (sketch odds)............

ANS8 = 1:973 packs
ANS9 = 1:471 packs

Offline Forgers Coffee

« Reply #658 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
Has anyone pulled a gold foil card yet? So far I have 2 complete base sets and a pink/red set but I haven't seen a gold foil. I almost have all the bag tags which are pretty cool.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #659 on: October 04, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
Has anyone pulled a gold foil card yet? So far I have 2 complete base sets and a pink/red set but I haven't seen a gold foil. I almost have all the bag tags which are pretty cool.

I pulled one in my case.

Offline Forgers Coffee

« Reply #660 on: October 05, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »
I pulled one in my case.

Just figured out how to use the quote. Any luck with sketches?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #661 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
Just figured out how to use the quote. Any luck with sketches?

Nothing yet.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #662 on: October 05, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »

I got lucky early on and pulled one, Fowlgers.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

I got lucky and pulled both a sketch and a gold card in the 5 bonus boxes I bought directly from Topps. Both have a new home.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #664 on: October 06, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
I got lucky and pulled both a sketch and a gold card in the 5 bonus boxes I bought directly from Topps. Both have a new home.
I just got lucky this morning!  ;)

I bought a few packs last weekend to go along with the the gravity feed I was picking up at a Target, and I just got around to opening the packs this weekend.
Shockingly, there was a sketch in one of them! my first ANS sketch pull.
a nice Zapata Gadzooka teacher.

anything