Author Topic: ANS 9  (Read 189403 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: ANS 9
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
Look at this hot pack. you can see through the wrapper.
eBay auction: #200804593957

Those jumbo pack wrappers are very thin and see-thru.  Much more so than the other packs.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
Can someone explain the rationale of spending from $250 to $300 per pack when all of the ANS9 sketches have sold between $50 to $250.00?  I am sure that the pack will eventually be opened.  It would probably be better to wait for it to hit Ebay and then bid accordingly.  Maybe I am missing something.

There are a couple reasons for this:
1. if the seller opens the pack and it's a dud they won't make that much for the sketch.
2. buyers are taking a risk that it could be a real color gem at a fair price.

It's all risk reward. If no one buys the pack it will go down in price as will all these sketches.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #492 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Can someone explain the rationale of spending from $250 to $300 per pack when all of the ANS9 sketches have sold between $50 to $250.00?  I am sure that the pack will eventually be opened.  It would probably be better to wait for it to hit Ebay and then bid accordingly.  Maybe I am missing something.

Unless it's a guaranteed colored sketch it's most likely not worth it, and prices will start to drop off even more after a few more weeks.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #493 on: August 09, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
There are a couple reasons for this:
1. if the seller opens the pack and it's a dud they won't make that much for the sketch.
2. buyers are taking a risk that it could be a real color gem at a fair price.

It's all risk reward. If no one buys the pack it will go down in price as will all these sketches.

My fear with your 2nd point is that I don't have a lot of confidence that they can't tell whether or not it's a colored sketch.  I know they are looking for the borders, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have a way to see that as well.  I would be very surprised to hear someone got a colored sketch in one of those auctions.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #494 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »
Where's the fun in searching packs before buying them?

None. It's just greed, which unfortunately has taken over the world.

Wonder if Topps is ever going to change their packs to deal with this? They'd have to make them so you cannot see through them (I never could figure out how to do this with ANS7/8), and add/remove cards to make the weight the same for sketch/gold/silver and other packs. My guess is they will not. Wonder if they are seeing lower sales from gravity feeds yet?

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
Man, you ain't kidding!  Those are incredible!  Not a "so so" one in the batch.  Here are the two I got.............

Hey Rob....Look Familiar ? LOL

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #496 on: August 09, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
I'm curious as to where people end up finding the more rare cards of the latest ANS series. I've never found any (plate, gold or sketch) in a bonus box, 2/3 pack blisters, etc.., The hobby box and verticle feeds are the only places I've had luck.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #497 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »

Did you pull that?? from where Box, Feed, BB ?? That is nice....lucky...buy alot of product??

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »

Yup, I noticed that too.  I like that one a little better!  At least I now know what title it is from.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #499 on: August 09, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
I'm curious as to where people end up finding the more rare cards of the latest ANS series. I've never found any (plate, gold or sketch) in a bonus box, 2/3 pack blisters, etc.., The hobby box and verticle feeds are the only places I've had luck.

I've pulled golds on three occasions ------ all from bonus boxes. I've never had any luck with retail/hobby boxes or gravity feeds.

Offline Roalef31

« Reply #500 on: August 09, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »
I wish I pulled a gold haha....or a sketch!

I am pretty new to collecting Wackies and I do it with my little sister and little cousins. I like this new series and the lame games and apps. I think this set is the most appealing to kids after seeing my sisters reaction to some of the parodies to the newer products.

I look forward to learning more on this forum and hopefully expand my collection which still needs a lot lol.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #501 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Yup, I noticed that too.  I like that one a little better!  At least I now know what title it is from.

You could just color yours in....LOL ;D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: August 09, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
None. It's just greed, which unfortunately has taken over the world.

Wonder if Topps is ever going to change their packs to deal with this? They'd have to make them so you cannot see through them (I never could figure out how to do this with ANS7/8), and add/remove cards to make the weight the same for sketch/gold/silver and other packs. My guess is they will not. Wonder if they are seeing lower sales from gravity feeds yet?

With the last two series I'd have purchased several gravity feeds from Target by now.  My retail purchases this time amount to 8 packs from Walmart, and I just bought a master set from a dealer.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #503 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
With the last two series I'd have purchased several gravity feeds from Target by now.  My retail purchases this time amount to 8 packs from Walmart, and I just bought a master set from a dealer.

I figure bonus boxes are safe from pack searchers, so that's all I bought this series. I did buy 2 jumbo packs, just to have a couple for my collection cause I think they're neat. I too was thinking of just buying a master set instead, but I do enjoy opening packs to build a set. However I barely made one complete base set from 3 bonus boxes!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #504 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
What I find strange is that it's Matt Stock buying all these ANS9 sketches at high prices. He looks to be buying most of them. What throws me as why is he paying high dollars for these while he was buying OLDS3 boxes and selling all of the sketches and even altering them.
He even bought 8 hot packs at around $250 each. It doesn't matter to me what people spend there money on but he must have about $4K-$5k into these sketches already. Doesn't seem to add up paying such high prices. No offense to mr Parisi but Matt paid $375 for a color Parisi sketch that I don't think would have sold for $100.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:41:22 PM by BumChex »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #505 on: August 10, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
What I find strange is that it's Matt Stock buying all these ANS9 sketches at high prices. He looks to be buying most of them. What throws me as why is he paying high dollars for these while he was buying OLDS3 boxes and selling all of the sketches and even altering them.
He even bought 8 hot packs at around $250 each. It doesn't matter to me what people spend there money on but he must have about $4K-$5k into these sketches already. Doesn't seem to add up paying such high prices. No offense to mr Parisi but Matt paid $375 for a color Parisi sketch that I don't think would have sold for $100.

That's all we need is another collector like Leslie buying all of the sketches and keeping prices high!  It's amazing how one person who is willing to blow a lot of cash can have on the Wacky market.

I would guess he is buying them for his own collection because the prices he is paying are high, but who knows.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #506 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
I just did an ebay sketch search and this card showed up. It's a nice one but it doesn't fit with any series. It's basically just a commissioned art card. I wonder why Fred did one this way and not use a return stock? This one may sell for a couple hundred but on a return stock it would probably sell for around $500+

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #507 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Someone explain how these artist return cards work. Is it Topps deciding which sketch cards are included in the packs and which are returned and is Topps aware of how many (and in what increments, color, etc..,) a particular artist produces? One particular return auction said the artist only did ONE color sketch at all yet he got it back. Just curious how that works.

I guess I'm wondering why the return sketches seem much better then even the best attainable sketch cards pulled from packs.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:32:07 AM by FourRoses »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #508 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
Someone explain how these artist return cards work. Is it Topps deciding which sketch cards are included in the packs and which are returned and is Topps aware of how many (and in what increments, color, etc..,) a particular artist produces? One particular return auction said the artist only did ONE color sketch at all yet he got it back. Just curious how that works.

I guess I'm wondering why the return sketches seem much better then even the best attainable sketch cards pulled from packs.

I always thought that as partial payment for doing artwork for a particular series, the artist would get a somewhat small number of the "blanks" with series logo, etc. to keep for themselves. They could then sell them or whatever. I don't know if the artwork has to be approved on them first however. I always assumed since the artists would be profitting directly from these cards, they did their best work to entice high prices.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #509 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
I always thought that as partial payment for doing artwork for a particular series, the artist would get a somewhat small number of the "blanks" with series logo, etc. to keep for themselves. They could then sell them or whatever. I don't know if the artwork has to be approved on them first however. I always assumed since the artists would be profitting directly from these cards, they did their best work to entice high prices.

Yes, they have to be approved by Topps first.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #510 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »
Approved? As in the artist tells what he wants to draw and Topps says yes or the artist draws a boatload of sketches, sends all of them in and ends up getting some of the more desirable ones returned?

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #511 on: August 10, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
Someone explain how these artist return cards work.
I think the point was that this is *not* a return card, but a personal sketch card (PSC) or art card edition or original (ACEO)

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #512 on: August 10, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
I'm wondering about genuine return cards certain artists have put up for auction. The sketch in #506 isn't what I'm questioning.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:05:28 PM by FourRoses »

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: August 10, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
I'm wondering about genuine return cards certain artists have put up for auction. The sketch in #506 isn't what I'm questioning.
ahh. thought you were replying specifically to that card.

but, my understanding is that the returns are a set of blanks that the artist keeps and can do what they want with, with a final approval from topps, and then sell for themselves. the more work they put in to them, the more they will likely sell for, and more money for the pocket of the artist. whether the artist has to physically send the card to topps for approval, or just send a scan, I don't know.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #514 on: August 10, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »

Patrick, are you going to do a breakdown of the box and wrapper codes for ANS9 like you've done in the past, or has it already been done and I missed it? 

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: August 10, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »
Patrick, are you going to do a breakdown of the box and wrapper codes for ANS9 like you've done in the past, or has it already been done and I missed it?  
it's been started already in the ANS9 Master List that NEZHEAD kicked off. (3rd post down)
It's still missing a few numbers though, as I haven't obtained all the boxes yet myself. I eventually will and I'll post a picture, but until then if someone has some info, let me know.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #516 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
If the return cards are based on the quality of work and not quantity, I think that Zilinik, Stewart and Pingatore should receive very few blank return sketches. . On the other hand, I think Topps should reward artists like Simko, Wheaton, Smokin Joe and Griffith.   I like Engstrom, Camera, Parisi, Kirscht, Zapata and Walton as well.  I just find that the works of Simko, Wheaton, Smokin Joe and Griffith are a step above. In my personal opinion just because some one can pump out 200 sketches, this does entitle them to the same benefits of the other artists.  I am sure that Topps does not look at these things in this fine of detail.   I would hope in the future that Topps would reject sketch art that does not meet certain standards. The main reason that Old School boxes and Postcards sell out so quickly is due the great art work of Simko, Smokin' Joe, Wheaton and Griffith.  I will step down from my soap box.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #517 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
it's been started already in the ANS9 Master List that NEZHEAD kicked off. (3rd post down)
It's still missing a few numbers though, as I haven't obtained all the boxes yet myself. I eventually will and I'll post a picture, but until then if someone has some info, let me know.

Thanks, I forgot about that master lists section.  I can't believe there are only 3 wrappers to collect.  I suppose it's not to late to see some different packs surface like the cheap ones with no chase cards.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #518 on: August 10, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »

We had a Borders book store near our local mall and it was replaced by a store named BAM, A place like that would interest Adam West-LOL.

Our Borders was also replaced with a the BAM store. We submised that it IS Borders, just changed the name and took out the newspapers.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »

The one I feel absolutely doesn't belong in there is Lady Gag Me.

I think someone at Topps is hoping to hear from Lady GaGa and hoping to possibly meet her, that would explain why they put the card into this series, no other reason could be rationalized.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Thanks, I forgot about that master lists section.  I can't believe there are only 3 wrappers to collect.  I suppose it's not to late to see some different packs surface like the cheap ones with no chase cards.

4 Wrappers if you include the Jumbo rack pack. Jumbo Rack Pack, 24 box pack, Bonus Box Pack and Gravity Feed Pack. Haven't checked the actual pack numbers, there may be 2 of the same so in theory, there could only be 3 wrappers but 4 sources.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
Just checked them and there are 2 wrappers with the same number:

0-777-89-01-2 (Bonus Box & 24 Pk. Boxes)
0-721-54-01-2 (Jumbo Pack)
0-763-54-01-2 G.F.

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: August 11, 2012, 07:05:54 AM »
Thanks, I forgot about that master lists section.  I can't believe there are only 3 wrappers to collect.  I suppose it's not to late to see some different packs surface like the cheap ones with no chase cards.
yep. just the 2 traditional size and 1 oversize. but like you say, i think it's too early to discount that there will be others. There could be those cheap flow packs at the dollar store and the gum packs through topps. seems like they showed up a month or two after release last time.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #523 on: August 12, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
yep. just the 2 traditional size and 1 oversize. but like you say, i think it's too early to discount that there will be others. There could be those cheap flow packs at the dollar store and the gum packs through topps. seems like they showed up a month or two after release last time.

I guess that depends on how they feel like the product is moving. Those jumbo packs are really tough to open when trying to keep the wrapper intact.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #524 on: August 12, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
Those jumbo packs are really tough to open when trying to keep the wrapper intact.

Impossible is more like it!  I resorted to slicing them on the backs, because trying to open them the traditional way without tearing them is too tough.  The wrapper material is really thin.   

anything