Author Topic: ANS 9  (Read 189462 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: ANS 9
« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
remember all the retail packs could have been searched. I don't plan to buy any retail.

I take that back. I just went to 3 targets. Only one had a feeder full of 48 packs and 2 bonus boxes. This hasn't been searched. I wonder why you have 3 Targets stores in about a 10 mile radius and only one is carrying the product?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
Hit Two Targets. Found a full GF and bonus boxes in Monmouth Junction NJ. Purchased the GF and a Bonus box. I will report back later on their contents.

DrDeal

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
I went to two stores today in my search for ANS9.  First I went to a Walmart not expecting to find anything.  To my surprise, there was one ANS9 24 pack box.  I bought a handful of packs.  Then I went to Target and saw nothing on the shelf.  Turning around, I noticed the Excell box off to the side.  There was a full gravity feed and 3 (I believe) bonus boxes.  I didn't want to mess with it, but did grab one bonus box.  I have a 24 pack box from my local comic shop coming presumably tomorrow. 

As I recall, there won't be blister packs this time around but there will be some kind of alternative packaging.  While I'm not planning to load up on ANS9, I will be sure to get all the various kinds of packagings and save some unopened stuff for a rainy day.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
remember all the retail packs could have been searched. I don't plan to buy any retail.

What do you mean by retail packs being searched? Would that refer to knowing which packs in an unopened box cotained
certain types of cards? I noticed that there was a pattern to the packaged packs in the first 2 Flashback series.
Or is there another way of knowing whats in a pack?
Alex

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
What do you mean by retail packs being searched? Would that refer to knowing which packs in an unopened box cotained
certain types of cards? I noticed that there was a pattern to the packaged packs in the first 2 Flashback series.
Or is there another way of knowing whats in a pack?
Alex

No, guys lift cards and look through the packs. I've tried but it's a special technique they use. So if you buy a pack and noticed about 3 cards slid away from the others than the pack has been searched.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
I've opened a few packs and won't spoil but I don't know if I'm feeling this series the way I have in the past. Maybe it's my mood today or something. I'm tired of the pink border cards. I 'm not a fan of the game parodies. The Lady Gaga parody is absolutely horrible and I can't believe Topps would want it in the set. The Magnets are just rehash of the same old wacky's they have done for the last 6 series, nothing new.
My collation is also bizarre. I've had several packs with 3 consecutive numbers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:01:08 PM by BumChex »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
I've opened a few packs and won't spoil but I don't know if I'm feeling this series the way I have in the past. Maybe it's my mood today or something. I'm tired of the pink border cards. I 'm not a fan of the game parodies. The Lady Gaga parody is absolutely horrible and I can't believe Topps would want it in the set. The Magnets are just rehash of the same old wacky's they have done for the last 6 series, nothing new.
My collation is also bizarre. I've had several packs with 3 consecutive numbers.

I am feeling kind of the same way about this series.  I do, however, really like the magnets as I love to see original series titles and I like to actually stick the magnets to my frig and file cabinet.  I know Topps is aiming these at kids, but I'd prefer to leave out the apps and video game subsets.  And I think Dave Gross's absence is strongly felt.  Glad he's working on Old School, but he really does a fantastic job on I miss his presence in this series.  And, oh yea, do even the kids like the pink borders?  Those are hideous!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »

Do you think the vendors themselves are doing these searches? I would think if you got there early enough and bought the packs up, you might have a shot then?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

I wanted to say a few things about some titles as well, but I guess we need a spoiler thread for that. Anyway, the Gaga card left me kinda bewildered. Did someone at Topps think that it was so funny that it had to be part of the set? I really didn't get that one, seemed bizzare. I must admit though, I like to see new things parodied, but that just did not fit into the set IMO. Pink boarders I could take or leave, but I do not think it adds anything to the set except for an extra challenge trying to get them all. The App's parodies I've seen so far were interesting and I so far do like the Lame games. I did see some really good titles in the base cards I have so far. Some made me laugh and some I was digging the artwork. But of course, I didn't like every card, geeze, it's not 1973 here ya know. I would like to know what the kids think of this set today, that's the real question.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
I scored a Sketch!!!!!!   That's my first ever sketch from a retail WP release and Kirscht is one of my favorite current WP artists.     :D  I believe its Toadal or Alltoads.  That's a keeper  ;D

Today was a great day!

DrDeal 

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
that's happened quite often over the last several sets. consecutive numbers, and usually consecutive backs (e.g. a lineup of 3 puzzle pieces)
it'd be nice if there was more variety, but it seems these are packed as 2 triplets + two additional cards. and those triplets repeat constantly

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
I scored a Sketch!!!!!!   That's my first ever sketch from a retail WP release and Kirscht is one of my favorite current WP artists.     :D  I believe its Toadal or Alltoads.  That's a keeper  ;D

Today was a great day!

DrDeal 

Cool Deal ! Congrets ! You are way beating the Odds on this Series ! How many packs did you open before you got the sketch?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
that's happened quite often over the last several sets. consecutive numbers, and usually consecutive backs (e.g. a lineup of 3 puzzle pieces)
it'd be nice if there was more variety, but it seems these are packed as 2 triplets + two additional cards. and those triplets repeat constantly

Yes, I noticed that same pattern. And that is exactly what had happened to me so far in only opening up 8 packs.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

Just to speak to the Lady Gaga parody - Topps was considering a subset of album covers at one point, and this looks to be the only title to survive. I haven't seen the sticker yet, but it probably has a different feel since it was made for a subset.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »
Cool Deal ! Congrets ! You are way beating the Odds on this Series ! How many packs did you open before you got the sketch?

I pulled the sketch with a about 5 packs to go from the Gravity Feed. Out of the GV and Bonus box I got 5 complete base sets. 8 out of 10 magnets with 1 dupe. 8 out of 9 tags with 1 dupe. 9 out of 10 lame games with many dupes. 9 out of 10 awful aps with many dupes. 9 silver foils with no dupes.

DrDeal

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
Just to speak to the Lady Gaga parody - Topps was considering a subset of album covers at one point, and this looks to be the only title to survive. I haven't seen the sticker yet, but it probably has a different feel since it was made for a subset.

Hit my local Target today...it was a no go. Kinda upset i didnt hit the Target in Buffalo this morning, was there for a follow up check up. I called ShopTopps today, they said release date was tomorrow, so i didnt go..(stupid)(stupid)(stupid). Oh ya, OS 3 is NOT i repete NOT sold out.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
No, guys lift cards and look through the packs. I've tried but it's a special technique they use. So if you buy a pack and noticed about 3 cards slid away from the others than the pack has been searched.

Whoa!!!!! So you can't tell this until you've opened the pack??? I wonder how common this is....
A

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
Whoa!!!!! So you can't tell this until you've opened the pack??? I wonder how common this is....
A

Very common. After seeing this a few times at my local stores I wont even buy a full gravity if its out of the delivery (excell) box, cause chances are its picked over. May even be picked over by the excell people themselves. I bought only ANS 8 blister packs, bonus boxes,eraser/bonus combo and full boxes from my card guy and i got 2 sketches. I'm not saying they are ALL picked over, but my money is very limited now, so i'm not going to take the chance. If you do a little searching on the forum for pack serchers, you will see an entire thread dedicated to bad mouthing "pack fingerers" as i like to call them.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »
Do they have a website? I searched for them and tried sportsimages.com but that site seems like a memorabilia site.

Here you go..........

http://www.spimages.com/
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »

Maybe for ANS10 in 2013 there could be a CD music covers subset for real.

How about for Old School Series 5 (if not the upcoming OS4) a subset of 10 vintage album covers of the 1970's Wacky Packages style?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2012, 07:55:16 PM »
More about ANS9:

1) Is there now 9 ANS9 luggage tag inserts rather than 10 planned since Dr. Pester was removed?

2) One of the entries is Fetchers, did slamjim do a rough for this Wacky Packages for an earlier ANS but was rejected?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
Maybe for ANS10 in 2013 there could be a CD music covers subset for real.

How about for Old School Series 5 (if not the upcoming OS4) a subset of 10 vintage album covers of the 1970's Wacky Packages style?

This is a great idea. I guess I'm biased being a musician, but I think the vintage album cover idea is great.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
Do we have an idea yet of how many Bonus cards this series will have?  I've only seen B1 Flab to date.  I assume this comes from the Target bonus box.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
Do we have an idea yet of how many Bonus cards this series will have?  I've only seen B1 Flab to date.  I assume this comes from the Target bonus box.
the early guess is just the one - B1
we've only heard of the target bonus box so far and no others, and there are no blister packs either.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
the early guess is just the one - B1
we've only heard of the target bonus box so far and no others, and there are no blister packs either.

Wasn't there another type of packaging, a "rack" pack?  It seems I've seen more trading (mostly sports) cards in that sort of packaging lately.  Perhaps I'm assuming, but I thought those might contain at least one bonus card.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »
Wasn't there another type of packaging, a "rack" pack?  It seems I've seen more trading (mostly sports) cards in that sort of packaging lately.  Perhaps I'm assuming, but I thought those might contain at least one bonus card.

ANS 8 did have a rack pack, but it came in a 24 pack box and it was essentially the same as a regular pack, sept with a rack hanger on the 8 card pack...no bonus was issued with it.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2012, 03:15:01 AM »
ANS 8 did have a rack pack, but it came in a 24 pack box and it was essentially the same as a regular pack, sept with a rack hanger on the 8 card pack...no bonus was issued with it.

There is a Rack Pack Box on ebay now. looks like it has 3 red parallels per pack. 18 packs in a box. No mention of a bonus card.

DrDeal

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
Dear guys, i saw the series on eBay and it's sweet. Say, which ones did Mark Pingitore do, by the way?   Pauly

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
Hit my local Target today...it was a no go.

Same here, nothing at my Target yet. I did see some Mars Attacks packs and picked a few up.

I like the open format of ANS sketches, in comparison to Old School sketches, where the signature is on the reverse with only the WP logo at the top. Less clutter and more space for art = a good thing

Not happy to learn of the return of luggage tags! Seems like a heck of a way to ruin a lenticular.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »

Not happy to learn of the return of luggage tags! Seems like a heck of a way to ruin a lenticular.

I would imagine Topps wants kids to hang them off their backpack and advertise. Who knows maybe it could turn into a big craze such as these stupid mustaches kids play with now.....

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »

Been traveling for several weeks (which means I have about 8000 unread posts here!) and was in a Target last night. For the heck of it went by the card section to see if ANS9 was out.  Spotted a bonus box and then saw the gravity feed. Not to be a downer but for the first time I didn't buy any -- not even a single pack -- and normally I buy all the bonus boxes I see. I have similar feelings as you, Brad, regarding the ANS series. ANS7 and especially ANS8 were too much $ for the effort for me. Going to stick to vintage, Postcards and OS.

Funny too, when I saw the Philly Show mentioned above I decided I'm no longer chasing the promo cards. Really enjoyed Reese's Peepers but have felt compelled to get them after that, which I am officially giving up as a sport.

But I am very happy that DrDeal pulled a sketch! Nice one!  :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
Here you go..........

http://www.spimages.com/

That's a very strange site. So you have to setup an account first before you can even view pricing and such?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
The Target and Wal-Mart Stores I have been to don't have ANS9 in stock yet.

I wonder what the Wal-Mart bonus box bonus sticker will be...

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #278 on: July 25, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
And I think Dave Gross's absence is strongly felt.  Glad he's working on Old School, but he really does a fantastic job on I miss his presence in this series. 

Well, thanks, appreciated. I missed working on it. Huge family crisis knocked me out of the game. I did Sluggie and Thums and they used two of my old roughs Fetchers and Hell-O.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
Well, thanks, appreciated. I missed working on it. Huge family crisis knocked me out of the game. I did Sluggie and Thums and they used two of my old roughs Fetchers and Hell-O.

Besides the due out in Fall Old School 4 and due in 2013 Old School 5, do you plan to be back on track if Topps gives a 2013 green light to do ANS10 of Wacky Packages, slamjim?

anything