Author Topic: Would like to know...  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Hawaiian punks

Would like to know...
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
New to collecting. I would like to know what is a:

Chase card
Gravity feed box
Booster box
Hobby box
Blister pack
What are the differences between each and is there card variation between each. Is there anything else that I have not listed?
Aloha.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
Re: Would like to know...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
Here's a quick rundown... others can fill in details I missed or correct where I goofed:

Chase card - as opposed to a "common" or "base" card, a chase card is one that appears less frequently in packs, and therefore is something to be "chased." The odds of finding them can be nutty. Examples in the Wacky world include variant cards with different color borders, and sketch cards. (Not to be confused with a chaste card, which I recommend abstaining from.)

Gravity feed box - a box usually meant to hang on a peg in a retail store (though they can also sit on shelves and counters). It contains a larger number of packs than most boxes and has an opening at the bottom that displays a stack of them. As buyers pull packs from the bottom to search for chase cards purchase, more packs "feed" down to the bottom thanks to the force of gravity.

Booster box - this term is from the gaming card world and doesn't apply so much to Wackys, though it is sometimes (ab)used by sellers to refer to bonus boxes. A trading card gamer would buy a booster box to help build his playing deck, and the booster box often contains cards that can't be found in the regular series box. Bonus boxes may be exclusive to a card distributor and may contain a special card that is available in no other package. (It is a misconception that these bonus boxes are exclusive to particular stores.)

Hobby box - a box meant to be sold in specialty stores like card stores and comics shops, as opposed to retail boxes that one would find in Target, Wal-Mart, etc.. In the Wacky world the hobby and retail boxes would often be very similar, having different box codes but only differing by the inclusion of a point-of-sale poster in the hobby box.

Blister pack - usually contains two or more packs in a plastic bubble or "blister", attached to a card that can hang on a store peg.

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
Mahalo, for your explanation. I now have a better understanding of the reading I am doing in the forum.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
here's a picture to go along with it

the 3 tallest in the back are the gravity feeds, you can see the outline of the flap that opens at the bottom to give access to the packs.
just in front of those are 2 small but tall boxes - they are the bonus boxes (erroneously called boosters sometimes)
the 4 flattish square ones in front of them are the retail and hobby boxes.
and finally, the 2 flat packs up front are the blisters

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »
Patrick, that is an awesome photo!  Did you take that?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
here's a picture to go along with it

the 3 tallest in the back are the gravity feeds, you can see the outline of the flap that opens at the bottom to give access to the packs.
just in front of those are 2 small but tall boxes - they are the bonus boxes (erroneously called boosters sometimes)
the 4 flattish square ones in front of them are the retail and hobby boxes.
and finally, the 2 flat packs up front are the blisters

(Image removed from quote.)

I dont know if you are interested, but there is a 16ct rack pack box without the 1.99 price tag.