Author Topic: Worst Original Series Wacky and Why  (Read 12594 times)

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
Re: Worst Original Series Wacky and Why
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »
"Escuire"  is a verb, meanig the act a lord of a feudal village performs when he appoints a squire, thus making that youth an "Esquire" (a noun).   Why is this almost-synonym of the name of the real product the title of this Wacky you may ask?  Because "Expire" would imply that the shoe polish would cause you to die, and thus such a title would disparage the product.   This is also why you DON'T have to shove Cram down someone's throat to get them to eat it.  But such changes are executive decisions based on legal considerations.  To make the change, the execs would just go to the dictionary and find another word that was close in spelling or sound to the original product name.  By that time this stuff was out of the hands of the creative department, and the gag writers had already been paid and blew the money on Burger King food.    Such changes happen all the time in the humor biz.   My favorite example of this is that Ralph Bakshi movie...the one where Kim Bassinger does the voice of the main character....  Almost every gag in the movie was changed to the point  where they make no sense.  But if you watch it with that in mind, it is pretty easy to figure out what the changed gags were before the changes.  Although that does get pretty tedious, and if you try to do that for all the gags in that film you get a headache and can't enjoy the movie.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
How do you guys remember all these gags?   Well... I'm workin' on something here....   Does anyone remember if there was ever a Wacky of a breakfast cerial where the individual pieces of cereal are exploding?  I'm just wondering how the painter of that one (if there ever was such a one) handled such a thing.

Don't remember an original series WP fitting that description from memory... There was " tic toc" with unexploded time bomb mints and "Dynamites" with unexploded dynamite sticks. "Scoot" and "Regal Clown" both sport lit fuzes but non-cereal or exploding... yet. "Slayskull", "Killy Putty"' "AirRaid", "Quit"  and "Martian Hats" have explosions but also not cereal.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
"Escuire"  is a verb, meanig the act a lord of a feudal village performs when he appoints a squire, thus making that youth an "Esquire" (a noun).   Why is this almost-synonym of the name of the real product the title of this Wacky you may ask?  Because "Expire" would imply that the shoe polish would cause you to die, and thus such a title would disparage the product.   This is also why you DON'T have to shove Cram down someone's throat to get them to eat it.  But such changes are executive decisions based on legal considerations.  To make the change, the execs would just go to the dictionary and find another word that was close in spelling or sound to the original product name.  By that time this stuff was out of the hands of the creative department, and the gag writers had already been paid and blew the money on Burger King food.    Such changes happen all the time in the humor biz.   My favorite example of this is that Ralph Bakshi movie...the one where Kim Bassinger does the voice of the main character....  Almost every gag in the movie was changed to the point  where they make no sense.  But if you watch it with that in mind, it is pretty easy to figure out what the changed gags were before the changes.  Although that does get pretty tedious, and if you try to do that for all the gags in that film you get a headache and can't enjoy the movie.
TAKE 2 BEAR AND CALL NEXT WEEK!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
How do you guys remember all these gags?   Well... I'm workin' on something here....   Does anyone remember if there was ever a Wacky of a breakfast cerial where the individual pieces of cereal are exploding?  I'm just wondering how the painter of that one (if there ever was such a one) handled such a thing.

Gyppy Pop has some nice explosions on it, and they're almost the same size as cereal pieces:

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

Not a cereal, but Nutlee's Quit (4th series) has a great explosion on it. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »
Does anyone remember if there was ever a Wacky of a breakfast cerial where the individual pieces of cereal are exploding? 

Although it’s not explodin’, Super Cigar Crisp is smokin’     :^)

Rowdy is my nomination for one of the best lame titles.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Although it’s not explodin’, Super Cigar Crisp is smokin’     :^)

Rowdy is my nomination for one of the best lame titles.

And Exceedrin has an exploding head.

Another Wacky I never liked is Breadcrust Hash. Not sure why.

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
And Exceedrin has an exploding head.

Another Wacky I never liked is Breadcrust Hash. Not sure why.

Breadcrust is saved by the characters from being a "worst Wacky" but it's never been one of my faves. I can never remember the product it parodied without looking it up.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
I like the dog on Breadcrust -- it's expression and blue tongue are great.

Exceedrin is actually one of my favorite Wacky's, mainly because of it's concise gag, "Beri-Beri" (which seems like it was also used in a Warner Bros. Bug Bunny gag listing ailments), and the fact that even though it does have a character on it, the character has no face -- is this the only case of this in Wacky history so far?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
I like the dog on Breadcrust -- it's expression and blue tongue are great.

Exceedrin is actually one of my favorite Wacky's, mainly because of it's concise gag, "Beri-Beri" (which seems like it was also used in a Warner Bros. Bug Bunny gag listing ailments), and the fact that even though it does have a character on it, the character has no face -- is this the only case of this in Wacky history so far?

Just to note, I brought up Exceedrin not as a worst Wacky, but as a Wacky that has an explosion in it.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
Just to note, I brought up Exceedrin not as a worst Wacky, but as a Wacky that has an explosion in it.

Love Brent's sketch as well  :great:

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
Love Brent's sketch as well  :great:

Awesome!

wackadoodle

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:12 AM »
thought i would add my 2 1/2 cents to the worst wacky-Decay wasnt even based on ANY product,,thats the worse one in my eyes.:)

Offline RaMpB

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »

Anyway, I went through the original series I knew as a kid (2nd through 14th) and notice that the ones I didn't like much back then are still the ones I don't like much. They tend to have "flat" characters on them that -- like Nooseweek (which is definitely very high on my list too) -- just don't fit, or they don't have any characters on them at all. The same goes for the 1st, 15th, and 16th. Definitely a pattern for me.

I know you asked for one, but I had to list more than one since the first one that came to mind was "Nooseweek" - lol!

1st - Spray-Nit, Cover Ghoul - Although not flat drawings, the characters on these freak me out. Really dislike them. Spray-Nit especially.
2nd - Blecch - Dull gag and no characters. Bottle also somewhat "flat" (e.g. "Skip" from the 9th series is ok because the artwork is good)
6th - Valveater - For some reason the guy on this one REALLY bugs me! No idea why! lol
7th - Medi-Quak - The duck is very "flat" imo. Artwork doesn't feel like Wacky artwork; feels like a non-Topps company
7th - Caged - Flat artwork on dog. And man I really want to make that "g" look like a "g" and not a "q" !!!
13th - Nooseweek - Flat artwork that doesn't fit (as others have described)
13th - National Spittoon - Same as Nooseweek
15th - Ultra Sheep, Sore Mel, Moron - Gags are fine but again, artwork is flat and feels like a non-Topps sticker
16th - Fling 'ems - Flat character; gag is wordy and yet unfunny at the same time

I agree with you the flat wackys are the most unappealing Spray-Nit and Blecch but Fling 'ems color is beautiful no?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
Decay Toothpaste from original sticker series 11 since it doesn't spoof a product.

anything