Author Topic: Postcard Release 8 Anticipation Thread  (Read 21659 times)

Online DrDeal

Postcard Release 8 Anticipation Thread
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:58:46 AM »
Now that we are past the OS3 Pre-Sale I thought it might be time to start anticipating the next Postcard set release. I look forward to this next release and wonder when it will arrive? I have been on board with the limited PC sales since Release 2. I would prefer a Midnight sale on the next one or a special link for board members. They seem to sell faster each release.

DrDeal

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Postcard Release 8 Anticipation Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
I don't know if they'll offer a midnight sale, but it's definitely being considered. Look for more details about the series 8 postcards after Old School 3.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
I don't know if they'll offer a midnight sale, but it's definitely being considered. Look for more details about the series 8 postcards after Old School 3.

I liked the way the last postcard release was handled, the teaser riddle, a couple hours notice on the forum, even down to not knowing if it was going to start at 9 eastern (I think it was daylight savings at the time) or central. It was a fun hour on the forum going back and forth.

I also think 9 is a better time for those of us that have to work in the morning. It's tough enough to get to sleep after all that excitement!

Online DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »
Now that we are well into OS3....any news on PC8?

DrDeal

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:08:38 AM »
Suh-weet!! Dang, any idea when this is happening?!?

Topps is doing a new type of promotion for the upcoming postcard set. Log onto www.topps.com and sign up to receive notice of the release date. Please note, I won't be sending the usual newsletter prior to release, so the only way to find out is through topps.com

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the info Neil!  I'm all signed up.

Offline emoticon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 05:52:53 AM »
Topps is doing a new type of promotion for the upcoming postcard set. Log onto www.topps.com and sign up to receive notice of the release date. Please note, I won't be sending the usual newsletter prior to release, so the only way to find out is through topps.com

I enjoyed reading the boards right before the Halloween Postcards went on sale and thought the buildup to release was very exciting. I wonder why Topps has decided that now is the time to take a more traditional approach to marketing a new product by being the sole purveyor of release information.

Online dth1971

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »
Will there be notice for ANS9 Wacky Packages Stickers soon?

Online DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »

When I put my email in the box on the Topps site it told me I was already signed up for WP updates. I guess that means they will use their existing email list which I am already on to alert us as to PC8 availability. I don't think you need to re-up if you already get emails from Topps when new WP items surface. Great news that this is getting closer. Need to build up my Paypal though  :)

Andrew

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »
Will there be notice for ANS9 Wacky Packages Stickers soon?

Your new avatar makes your question seem very dramatic, as if the fate of that hippy dude hands in the balance.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »

Neil: any idea of roughly how much notice they are going to give?

BTW, I think "Fig Newts" is going to be my favorite postcard in the entire postcard series history.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
Neil: any idea of roughly how much notice they are going to give?

BTW, I think "Fig Newts" is going to be my favorite postcard in the entire postcard series history.

Agreed! That's a super amazing title! Brent did the painting and Mark (Parisi) the gag!

We'll have to wait and see when all the pieces are in place but I hope they give everyone at least a couple of days notice for series 8.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
I dont think the early email is going to work any better than the old way. Just gives lurkers and scalpers more time to prepare. Why can't each forum member be able to pre-order and pay for our sets in advance like we do for Old School?!

Offline Porkie

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »
I dont think the early email is going to work any better than the old way. Just gives lurkers and scalpers more time to prepare. Why can't each forum member be able to pre-order and pay for our sets in advance like we do for Old School?!

I was thinking the same thing. It more or less destroys the ability of forum members getting in before the mob.

Neil: Any way you can post something here before the email goes out? At least then we could rely on our Buddy System to let everyone here know in advance.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »

Neil: Any way you can post something here before the email goes out? At least then we could rely on our Buddy System to let everyone here know in advance.

I wish I could, but it's really Topps call on how they distribute the product. And they've already started the promotion, so there's no turning back.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
I found out about the Postcards preview link on a Garbage Pail Kids message board, of all places!

Fred Wheaton posted this on Facebook:

http://www.toppsonlinestore.com/servlet/Page?template=wpc8&utm_source=topps.com&utm_medium=featureslide&utm_campaign=WPC8

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. It more or less destroys the ability of forum members getting in before the mob.

The content of this thread is public, so nothing posted here would be secret from the rest of the world. If you log out of the forum and Google "Postcard Release 8 Anticipation Thread" you can see what I mean.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
Just got an email that Postcard Series 8 will be up March 15 at 12:00pm ET -- anyone else get this? (Nice to see we can order 5 sets per address!!)

Wacky Packages Postcards Series 8
A Hand-Drawn Sketch Card in Every Limited Edition Set!

Limited Edition Set
* Limited to just 999 numbered sets
* Hand Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
* 6 Artist-Signed Postcards
* One Original Hand-Drawn Sketch Card
* Bonus Card TS14 (Pampered)
* 2 of 8 different Artist Bio Cards
Save the date - they sell out fast!

ONLY

$44.95

Available
March 15
12:00 pm ET
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:13:02 AM by Porkie »

Online jeffcaff

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
Does anyone know if there will be a 5 set limited?  The email didn't state any of that information.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »
Does anyone know if there will be a 5 set limited?  The email didn't state any of that information.

At the bottom of the email I see: "*Limited to Five (5) sets per billing & shipping address", which is nice!

From what I got in the email you go to this link for the LE set, which includes 6 signed postcards, and then I see this link to the regular set.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
It looks like there is only 1 mini postcard title with the regular set, so we won't have to buy 6 to get them all.  But, it's selling at noon, so I may get shut out of the limited release sets.  Guess it had to happen to me sometime.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:33:18 AM by RawGoo »

Online paulygsparodies

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
Just got the e-mail about the set!

How about a list of all the spoofs, when someone has them all?

:great:Pauly

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
What?!?!? No back variations?   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »
Just got the e-mail about the set!

How about a list of all the spoofs, when someone has them all?

:great:Pauly

I will update the master list once I have received the set and had a close look.

Online DrDeal

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
I don't think these will sell out tomorrow. I think 999 will be the number that keeps them available for a few days.

DrDeal

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
I don't think these will sell out tomorrow. I think 999 will be the number that keeps them available for a few days.

DrDeal

999!? That stinks! 5 will be enough for me. So much for limited edition. What happened to 250 and then 500? What's next 3000? I'll be happy with 5 sketches and one set of postcards this time.

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »
Topps does seem to be going a little WACKY over Wackies lately! ANS 9, OLDS 3, PC 8, Erasers 2, plus all the other crap!

It's enough to drive you WACKY! (or at least your bank account)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42:28 AM »
999!? That stinks! 5 will be enough for me. So much for limited edition. What happened to 250 and then 500? What's next 3000? I'll be happy with 5 sketches and one set of postcards this time.

I know what you're saying about 999 not seeming 'limited', but when 650 sets sell out in a few hours, what should we expect?  Maybe this will make it cost prohibitive for ebay re-sellers to try to corner the market; wouldn't that be a good thing?  Do we benefit from people scarfing up sets they don't want at $45 because they know they'll get $100 for them on ebay three days later from collectors who want a few extra beyond the Topps limit?  If that stops being such an easy profit, maybe we'll see lesser production runs again in the future.  I just hope we continue to get new postcard sets.

There are 10 different sketch artists this time, and maybe 8 different sketch titles (?), what with 6 postcards, and 2 bonus card titles.  The increased production might make the sketches more reasonable price-wise on the secondary market, which would be nice for anyone trying to get a sketch of each title, or by each artist.  And it could also encourage new collectors.

At least with the 5 set limit a person can get one of each of the 8 bio cards, with trading.

I hope I can get home later to order.........

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »
I know what you're saying about 999 not seeming 'limited', but when 650 sets sell out in a few hours, what should we expect?  Maybe this will make it cost prohibitive for ebay re-sellers to try to corner the market; wouldn't that be a good thing?  Do we benefit from people scarfing up sets they don't want at $45 because they know they'll get $100 for them on ebay three days later from collectors who want a few extra beyond the Topps limit?  If that stops being such an easy profit, maybe we'll see lesser production runs again in the future.  I just hope we continue to get new postcard sets.

There are 10 different sketch artists this time, and maybe 8 different sketch titles (?), what with 6 postcards, and 2 bonus card titles.  The increased production might make the sketches more reasonable price-wise on the secondary market, which would be nice for anyone trying to get a sketch of each title, or by each artist.  And it could also encourage new collectors.

At least with the 5 set limit a person can get one of each of the 8 bio cards, with trading.

Are you sure its a 5 set limit?? didn't see it on the email...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:24 AM »
I know what you're saying about 999 not seeming 'limited', but when 650 sets sell out in a few hours, what should we expect?  Maybe this will make it cost prohibitive for ebay re-sellers to try to corner the market; wouldn't that be a good thing?  Do we benefit from people scarfing up sets they don't want at $45 because they know they'll get $100 for them on ebay three days later from collectors who want a few extra beyond the Topps limit?  If that stops being such an easy profit, maybe we'll see lesser production runs again in the future.  I just hope we continue to get new postcard sets.

There are 10 different sketch artists this time, and maybe 8 different sketch titles (?), what with 6 postcards, and 2 bonus card titles.  The increased production might make the sketches more reasonable price-wise on the secondary market, which would be nice for anyone trying to get a sketch of each title, or by each artist.  And it could also encourage new collectors.

I was just about to post a message with a similar sentiment. You beat me to it!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:46:36 AM by koduck »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »
I know what you're saying about 999 not seeming 'limited', but when 650 sets sell out in a few hours, what should we expect?  Maybe this will make it cost prohibitive for ebay re-sellers to try to corner the market; wouldn't that be a good thing?  Do we benefit from people scarfing up sets they don't want at $45 because they know they'll get $100 for them on ebay three days later from collectors who want a few extra beyond the Topps limit?  If that stops being such an easy profit, maybe we'll see lesser production runs again in the future.  I just hope we continue to get new postcard sets.

There are 10 different sketch artists this time, and maybe 8 different sketch titles (?), what with 6 postcards, and 2 bonus card titles.  The increased production might make the sketches more reasonable price-wise on the secondary market, which would be nice for anyone trying to get a sketch of each title, or by each artist.  And it could also encourage new collectors.

I tend to agree with your perspective that the increased quantity will help deter people from buying boatloads of sets with the intention of flipping them for profit, and will make the sketches more affordable in general.  I will probably go for "one sketch per artist" on this series so that's at least 10 sketches without going for title variations or combos, etc!  The increased quantity should make that easier.  

Plus we can assume Topps will make more money on this series based on the increased quantity, so that should translate into more future series.  If the profits were minimal they might not think it's worth the work.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:19:38 AM by Dr Popper »
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 07:15:11 AM »
I was just about to post a message with a similar sentiment. You beat me to it!

I've calmed down. I just got back from a 2 day biz trip with little sleep and was busy trying to catch up. I fully understand and agree with you guys. I'm really looking forward to these.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
It looks like there is only 1 mini postcard title with the regular set, so we won't have to buy 6 to get them all.  But, it's selling at noon, so I may get shut out of the limited release sets.  Guess it had to happen to me sometime.

Looks like we need to purchase 2 regular postcard sets to get the mini postcard.

anything