Author Topic: Series 7 Solicitation in Previews  (Read 53094 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Series 7 Solicitation in Previews
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 06:54:03 AM »
I hope you're right about the 55, not 80, stickers per set.  Not a huge deal, but I definitely prefer the smaller sets.

I also hope that the code for a digital wacky is incorrect.  I don't really know what that means, but I know I want a tangible wacky, not one that exists only in cyberspace.  Guess I'm just old  :'(

If ANS7 ends up being 55 titles than that puts the post-2004 new titles at 503!  When I counted all unique vintage titles I ended up with 658, so vintage would still be ahead by 155 titles.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
If ANS7 ends up being 55 titles ...  
55 titles in 10 card packs?
Even if topps improves the odds of chase cards like they have with the GPK flashbacks (1 chase per pack), the base set is going to be swill
they really should go back to the $1 packs for sets this small

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
With regards to the "online codes" for "virtual Wackys," it sounds like they are going to do something similar to what they did with sports cards. In every pack, there was a card with a code printed on it, that allowed you to log into a site called "Topps Town" and enter the code for a "virtual card." In some packs, there was a "gold card" that allowed you to input a code for multiple "virtual cards."

For the record, I never actually logged into the site with the codes I pulled, so I can't tell you much more about Topps Town. But it sounds like it will similar to what they did with the sports cards.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
In every pack, there was a card with a code printed on it, that allowed you to log into a site called "Topps Town" and enter the code for a "virtual card." In some packs, there was a "gold card" that allowed you to input a code for multiple "virtual cards."

So then, you can predict, if it becomes popular, someone will crack the "code" if that is all you need to view stuff.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »
So then, you can predict, if it becomes popular, someone will crack the "code" if that is all you need to view stuff.
A code will allow you to view a 3d character standing on your card when you view it through your cam.

This video is best with the sound turned off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUWGKDVgoI

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »
Oh, the 3D stuff. That is not at all what I was thinking this was. The 3D stuff might be popular for Wacky's. Especially if the characters come to life.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »
Wow -- that is a lot cooler than anything I ever imagined. If that is what might be done with Wackys . . . Topps now has my interest. Proceed . . .
"Gamera always wins!"

• Administrator
Re: Series 7 Solicitations on ebay
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 05:57:39 AM »
I stumbled across some more info (seems they're called Wacky Packages 2010), a flyer pic and several more tiny images
(posting again, but attempting to use new image spoiler method... we'll see how it goes)
and the release date has already slipped over a month... who woulda thunk??

APPROXIMATE Release Date: August 23, 2010

Configuration:  24 packs per box. 8 stickers per pack. (7 Wacky Base Stickers PLUS one Wacky Code Sticker).

Wacky Packages 2010 - Wacky Packs Invade the Web!

Wacky Packages 2010 features 75 hilarious new pieces of art parodying famous consumer products. Now, for the first time ever, each 8-sticker pack contains a unique code that unlocks web-exclusive content on the Wacky Pack World website.

Today's kids live on the internet and Wacky Pack World provides a fully interactive experience that is tied directly to the sticker packs. Each code unlocks a digital pack of Wacky Packages to collect in a fun virtual binder -- plus bonus items for kids to customize avatars and online "clubhouses."
- The more codes kids get, the more online goodies and fun!
- Games, polls, activities and more!
- Builds on all of the elements that made ToppsTown a huge success for Topps baseball cards -- but adds Wacky Packages' trademark twisted sense of humor.
    * ToppsTown.com: Nearly 200.000 visits and over 1 million page views per month
- Supported by a robust marketing campaign on kids' websites

Wacky Packages has a devoted fan base of kids and adults that continues to grow through a huge viral presence on the Internet with hundreds of devoted fansites and message boards. That, combined with the added exposure through licensed merchandise such as T-shirts, wall art, calendars and art books, means that Wacky Packages is in its greatest demand. Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:41:08 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this info. very Cool. Looking forward to this set.   :D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
Thanks for the update. I don't see any other inserts listed. This could be a small purchase for me with no chase cards ^-^

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
Thanks for the update. I don't see any other inserts listed. This could be a small purchase for me with no chase cards ^-^
The key phrase in that entire solicitation is "Today's kids live on the Internet" -- the writing is on the wall for us "old school" collectors -- Old School for "us"; ANS for "them". (Not that I won't pick up all ANS releases, but I'm beginning to regret already ordering two boxes via my local comic book store -- no chases = one would probably do.)
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Swiski

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
I wonder if the "75 new pieces of original art" represent the stickers only. Some of these might be the virtual Wackies you need the codes to access.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »

I'd be surprised if they didn't do any sub-sets.  That would take a lot of the fun out of it for us.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
I'd be surprised if they didn't do any sub-sets.  That would take a lot of the fun out of it for us.

Maybe their banking on the access codes being such a hit that everyone will want to "collect em all" ?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
Maybe their banking on the access codes being such a hit that everyone will want to "collect em all" ?

I don't know……..I hope this "virtual binder" thing they are doing isn't the first sign of a phase out of physical cards for digital ones!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
I don't know……..I hope this "virtual binder" thing they are doing isn't the first sign of a phase out of physical cards for digital ones!

Yeah, I know what you mean - although, the computer animation sounds interesting and could be cool, I still prefer the physical ones too. I still would prefer damn album covers over CD's, and still CD's over MP3's or downloading music to my computer or device. The Artwork !! The Artwork !!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »

Virtual Wackys? How do we paste 'em anyplace? They'd have to replace the classic tagline with "email 'em anyplace!". Nah. Collectors want tangible goods. You can collect pictures of anything but it ain't gonna replace the real thing. Otherwise nobody would want the new Peepers sticker. We could all just download it and be satisfied.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 03:08:43 AM »
(Not that I won't pick up all ANS releases, but I'm beginning to regret already ordering two boxes via my local comic book store -- no chases = one would probably do.)

I only pre-ordered one box from my local comic shop this go-round.  I figure I should be able to make a couple sets.  If bonus boxes pop up at Target or Wal-Mart I will fill in with those.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
Virtual Wackys? How do we paste 'em anyplace? They'd have to replace the classic tagline with "email 'em anyplace!". Nah. Collectors want tangible goods. You can collect pictures of anything but it ain't gonna replace the real thing. Otherwise nobody would want the new Peepers sticker. We could all just download it and be satisfied.

I hope not, I can see newspapers and books/magazines going digital but hopefully trading cards will remain the way they are, even with the younger generation.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »
So I guess Lockwood and Greg are both out for pre-ordering ANS7?  So what is the best way to get these at a discounted price now?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 01:29:01 PM »
nah, I can't really see that.
to me it seems like they're just another form of chase card to encourage more sales of the real deal. Looking at what they do with their baseball cards, they have redemption codes not just for virtual cards, but autographed bonus cards as well

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 01:35:28 PM »
So I guess Lockwood and Greg are both out for pre-ordering ANS7?  So what is the best way to get these at a discounted price now?
there are a few online places out there taking pre-orders, these two seem to be the lowest priced

dacards  $39.95/box   http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/wacky-packages

potomac  $41/box  http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?ItemId=wackyp7b

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
there are a few online places out there taking pre-orders, these two seem to be the lowest priced

dacards  $39.95/box   http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/wacky-packages

potomac  $41/box  http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?ItemId=wackyp7b
D&As (cardworld) also has 8 box hobby cases for $100 w/free shipping...Here's the link...http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/wacky-packages-2010-hobby-8-box-case-2010-topps "SPOILER ALERT"
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
D&As (cardworld) also has 8 box hobby cases for $100 w/free shipping...
LOL!!   if only...
that's a $100 deposit on the full price of $300

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
LOL!!   if only...
that's a $100 deposit on the full price of $300
I thought that sounded to good to be true...That will teach me to "speed read"

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
I thought that sounded to good to be true...That will teach me to "speed read"
"The balance that you will need to pay is $200" is in bold letters!  :P

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
"The balance that you will need to pay is $200" is in bold letters!  :P
I actualy just "glanced" at it for about 5 seconds...no big deal, it sure wont be the last mistake I make LOL!!! :] Have a great nite...RonZ 8)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
I stumbled across some more info (seems they're called Wacky Packages 2010)...
Wacky Packages has a devoted fan base of kids and adults that continues to grow through a huge viral presence on the Internet with hundreds of devoted fansites and message boards.
"hundreds of devoted fansites and message boards"
Just in case anyone missed this slight exageration.

Name: Wacky Packages Booster Box
Manufacturer: Topps
Series: 2010 Wacky Packages
For ages: 4 and up
Details (Description): Since 1967, Wacky Packages has been one of the biggest brands in the trading card industry, regularly published through 1991. When Wacky Packs returned in 2004, six highly successful series featuring all-new art were released over a four-year period. Two sold out reprint ” Flashback” series followed in 2008. Now, after three years of pent up demand, Wacky Packages returns with an all-new series -- Wacky Packages 2010!
Wacky Packages 2010 features 75 hilarious new pieces of art parodying famous consumer products. Now, for the first time ever, each 8-sticker pack contains a unique code that unlocks web-exclusive content on the Wacky Pack World website.

WP's are for ages 4 and up. WTF?! 2 and 3 year olds LOVE Wacky Packages!
I like the line, after three years of pent up demand.
Very Old School.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
"hundreds of devoted fansites and message boards"
Just in case anyone missed this slight exageration.
(Image removed from quote.)
Name: Wacky Packages Booster Box
Manufacturer: Topps
Series: 2010 Wacky Packages
For ages: 4 and up
Details (Description): Since 1967, Wacky Packages has been one of the biggest brands in the trading card industry, regularly published through 1991. When Wacky Packs returned in 2004, six highly successful series featuring all-new art were released over a four-year period. Two sold out reprint ” Flashback” series followed in 2008. Now, after three years of pent up demand, Wacky Packages returns with an all-new series -- Wacky Packages 2010!

WP's are for ages 4 and up. WTF?! 2 and 3 year olds LOVE Wacky Packages!
I like the line, after three years of pent up demand.
Very Old School.
There are a (few) spoilers at "Dave & Adams" (cardworld) website...It looks like it's going to be another great series! I say  Bring em on!!! ;D

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey, I think that was one of my suggestions... I said they should call them WP 2010, 2011, etc. Cool!  ;D

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »
I agree with you, I have no interested in getting codes that unlock any website features.  I think I will be buying this series as a complete set just to have it.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »
Wacky Packages 2010!

I wonder what color the box will be.
I hope the web content means 3D morons and nimrods stumbling on the cards!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »
Will there be more previews of Wacky Packages 2010 (plus Old School series 2 and maybe a 6th. Wacky Packages postcard set) in the upcoming Philly Non Sport Card Show?

Offline Kook

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
Hey, I think that was one of my suggestions... I said they should call them WP 2010, 2011, etc. Cool!  ;D

What happens with 2 series in 1 year? WP 2011A & WP 2011B?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
What happens with 2 series in 1 year? WP 2011A & WP 2011B?

I doubt that will happen these days. I'd be happy if we get at least one 201x and one OldS per year, plus a couple Postcard sets.

anything