Author Topic: Topps "Rubber Uglies" Ugly Stickers toys  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Coorpse Light

Topps "Rubber Uglies" Ugly Stickers toys
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
I was curious if many of you collect these or even knew about them? They are small rubber toys that were marketed by Topps in the late 1960s - early 1970s. I think they're pretty cool, but unfortunately there is not much of a resource of info for them. They sell for a lot of money on ebay, so people do want them. Strange enough, there is no single Ugly Stickers forum to ask either!

Artist Norman Saunders has a pretty neat page on them:
http://www.normansaunders.com/RUgly,01.html

I started a little amateur forum on Rubber Uglies, rubber toys and subsequently Ugly Stickers as well since there is absolutely no community resource for fans and collectors.
http://rubberuglies.proboards.com/index.cgi

I hope this isn't against the rules to post this here. I'm a true wacky collector, and have enough darn ANS8 wrappers lying around to insulate my entire home by now! :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Topps "Rubber Uglies" Ugly Stickers toys
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
No, those are really cool.  I never knew they existed.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »
Thanks for posting those pics. They look really neat. I may have to collect a couple of them. I saw those on Norm's web site but haven't tried searching for any yet.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »
I was curious if many of you collect these or even knew about them?

I had forgotten about these! Thanks for posting

I played with them as a kid, or items that were very similar. I assume they were vending machine products?

If I recall, some were hollowed out and we used them as finger puppets, shaking their dangly hairy arms

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:34:29 AM »
I was curious if many of you collect these or even knew about them? They are small rubber toys that were marketed by Topps in the late 1960s - early 1970s.

There are also some pretty good knock-offs floating around. I don't know who made them or when, but they're pretty good facsimiles. If I find any photos, I'll post them.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking for a WP 2018 Chad Scheres auto card
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
My sister and I must have gotten a package of these at some point because we had the very three shown in this shrink wrap package picture (colors were different however):

I was more creeped out by the mis-painted eyeballs and chunks of extra rubber that didn't get removed properly than by the characters themselves. I like the way they had common names like Margaret, Jeff, Alvin, etc.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
We had these when I was a kid. My brother had several and I thought they were really funky (especially the misplaced eyeballs).

Found out these were Wacky-related when one appeared on that ANS 5 (I think) card in ad form on the back. It happened to be my favorite.

Somewhere I just may have several of these still. Won't know until I dig out some boxes either this Winter or next Fall.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
Topps attempt at the rubber small toy market.

Alvin the Rubber Ugly was later used on the ANS3 Wacky Package sticker "ALIVE".

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
I remember getting these in those 10 cent vending stacks as you exited the grocery store. They were inside a plastic bubble with a top

anything