Author Topic: Topps "Rubber Uglies" Ugly Stickers toys  (Read 11898 times)

Offline Coorpse Light

Topps "Rubber Uglies" Ugly Stickers toys
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
I was curious if many of you collect these or even knew about them? They are small rubber toys that were marketed by Topps in the late 1960s - early 1970s. I think they're pretty cool, but unfortunately there is not much of a resource of info for them. They sell for a lot of money on ebay, so people do want them. Strange enough, there is no single Ugly Stickers forum to ask either!

Artist Norman Saunders has a pretty neat page on them:
http://www.normansaunders.com/RUgly,01.html

I started a little amateur forum on Rubber Uglies, rubber toys and subsequently Ugly Stickers as well since there is absolutely no community resource for fans and collectors.
http://rubberuglies.proboards.com/index.cgi

I hope this isn't against the rules to post this here. I'm a true wacky collector, and have enough darn ANS8 wrappers lying around to insulate my entire home by now! :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Topps "Rubber Uglies" Ugly Stickers toys
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
No, those are really cool.  I never knew they existed.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »
Thanks for posting those pics. They look really neat. I may have to collect a couple of them. I saw those on Norm's web site but haven't tried searching for any yet.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:34:29 AM »
I was curious if many of you collect these or even knew about them? They are small rubber toys that were marketed by Topps in the late 1960s - early 1970s.

There are also some pretty good knock-offs floating around. I don't know who made them or when, but they're pretty good facsimiles. If I find any photos, I'll post them.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
My sister and I must have gotten a package of these at some point because we had the very three shown in this shrink wrap package picture (colors were different however):

I was more creeped out by the mis-painted eyeballs and chunks of extra rubber that didn't get removed properly than by the characters themselves. I like the way they had common names like Margaret, Jeff, Alvin, etc.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
We had these when I was a kid. My brother had several and I thought they were really funky (especially the misplaced eyeballs).

Found out these were Wacky-related when one appeared on that ANS 5 (I think) card in ad form on the back. It happened to be my favorite.

Somewhere I just may have several of these still. Won't know until I dig out some boxes either this Winter or next Fall.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
Topps attempt at the rubber small toy market.

Alvin the Rubber Ugly was later used on the ANS3 Wacky Package sticker "ALIVE".

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
I remember getting these in those 10 cent vending stacks as you exited the grocery store. They were inside a plastic bubble with a top

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 11:10:14 PM »
Ten cents nothing, I remember bubble gumball machines that cost one cent - and that was in the 1960s and 1970s!

I also remember the little rubber animals that came in vending machines - lizards, snakes, spiders, flies with clear plastic wings and mice (either gray with black eyes or white with pink eyes), for example. Did anyone else besides me ever notice that the rubber mouse's tail was always shaped like a backwards question mark without the dot on the bottom?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 12:03:48 AM »
I forgot about this cool thread! I spend a lot of time with kids and they love finger puppets. They are always a hit. Finger puppets and storytelling. It's surprising how long kids will stay focused on such an activity, once you set the scene and get things rolling. Make-believe is about as much fun as a kid can have. My brother remembers details of stories I told him when he was 10. The furry animal that lived in a cave under our house. I have collection of finger puppets. Many types I've gotten in various toys stores usually. These two have always reminded me of the 70's. Just took this shot in my kitchen.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »
These are awesome!!!!!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Ten cents nothing, I remember bubble gumball machines that cost one cent - and that was in the 1960s and 1970s!

I also remember the little rubber animals that came in vending machines - lizards, snakes, spiders, flies with clear plastic wings and mice (either gray with black eyes or white with pink eyes), for example. Did anyone else besides me ever notice that the rubber mouse's tail was always shaped like a backwards question mark without the dot on the bottom?

Ah, Creepy Crawlers, as we used to call ‘em, remember them fondly.  In my neck of the woods for a period of time we were able to buy them loose in neighborhood stores, which was cool because you could pick the ones you want and get like 12 for a buck.  This coincided with the OS Wacky era if I remember correctly.

Did not have as much success with getting them from gumball machines, because you never seemed to get the ones you wanted, or they were mixed with other crap you didn’t want at all.  That’s probably why those vending mini football helmets were so popular - you knew you were getting a helmet on every crank of the handle no matter what.  I also remember with the creepys they would always put a mouse/rat on the header card as an enticer, but I never saw one in any of the plastic eggs, let alone actually come out of a machine.

The one time I remember being thrilled with a vending machine was when I found one filled with nothing but glow-in-the-dark creepy crawlers, in that pale whitish-greenish color.  Got some nice insects, lizards and a nice big cockroach.

anything