Author Topic: If Topps takes part in the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con this Summer...  (Read 6825 times)

Offline dth1971

If Topps takes part in the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con this Summer: Will it give away for this year's Wacky Packages related promo cards one for ANS7 and one for Old School Series 2?

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
Re: If Topps takes part in the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con this Summer...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:23:54 AM »
Comic-Con is an awesome show.  It has already sold out on pre-sale tickets (they sold out before the first of the year).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:10:46 AM »
Comic-Con is an awesome show.  It has already sold out on pre-sale tickets (they sold out before the first of the year).

Yeah, we bought ours in December.  There is talk of moving it to Anaheim in a couple of years. I hope it stays in SD, it's such a beautiful city.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
Topps will not be at San-Diego again.

I hope it stays in SD as well. SD is one of my favorite cities and this is a huge plus for them financially.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
I hope it stays in SD as well. SD is one of my favorite cities and this is a huge plus for them financially.

SD is one of my favorite cities to visit as well.  Lots of great trip memories with my friends and also with my family there.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
Topps will not be at San-Diego again.

That sure seems like another big missed opportunity. They could boost sales of OldS1 while promoting ANS7 and OldS2.  :'(

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »
That sure seems like another big missed opportunity. They could boost sales of OldS1 while promoting ANS7 and OldS2.  :'(
I totaly agree :'(
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »

Booth prices in San Diego have increased quite a bit in the past few years/decade.  The show has grown so large (as evident by the selling out of the tickets nearly six months in advance of the show - which has happened the past two years).  Hollywood has realized how lucrative it is for them for marketing to certain niche markets.  They tend to purchase a lot of the prime floor space in advance.  From the few years I have gone (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2006) I have seen a lot of companies' booth space shrink with each year.  Heck, there have been years that Marvel Comics hasn't had much of a booth and they are one of the biggest comic sellers - and this did start out as a comic show.  I can see how Topps might decide that the expense doesn't justify the amount of exposure the show *might* give them.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
What about Wizard's Comic-Cons (including Chicago in August 2010) or the October 2010 New York Comic-Con?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »

I'm sure they would like to go but the cost of sending the employees and the booth displays, the lodging and the booth costs in general are very expensive.  I'm sure they did their research and concluded that whatever that cost was that it did not translate into enough extra sales to bother.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
Booth prices in San Diego have increased quite a bit in the past few years/decade.  The show has grown so large (as evident by the selling out of the tickets nearly six months in advance of the show - which has happened the past two years).  Hollywood has realized how lucrative it is for them for marketing to certain niche markets.  They tend to purchase a lot of the prime floor space in advance.  From the few years I have gone (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2006) I have seen a lot of companies' booth space shrink with each year.  Heck, there have been years that Marvel Comics hasn't had much of a booth and they are one of the biggest comic sellers - and this did start out as a comic show.  I can see how Topps might decide that the expense doesn't justify the amount of exposure the show *might* give them.

I started attending SDCC in 94, while I was working for DC Comics.  It was a giant show by then, but Hollywood wasn't nearly the presence it is now. 

I believe I recall when Marvel reduced their booth significantly, but that didn't last long.  I can understand the thinking of Topps not attending - I'm sure it's a question of where to spend their marketing dollars. 

After going for six straight years in the 90's, I hadn't attended for nine years, and went back.  I thought it was giant back then, but these days it's just insane.  The amount of focus just to walk through the isles is tiring.  At least with cell phones and SDCC Iphone apps (2009 was the first year for that - the whole con guide in your pocket - VERY handy), it's easier to find people and navigate.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »
Jason, having a cell phone was a MUST for trying to hook back up with my buddies.  With over a half dozen of us all wanting to hit different panels, buy different things, getting art from Artist Alley, etc. it was difficult just to figure out who was going to lunch where.  I definitely saw a difference in the show between 1999 (my first time) and 2006 (when I took my son).  There is just so much to see and do that four days is just not enough time.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »
Yeah, we bought ours in December.  There is talk of moving it to Anaheim in a couple of years. I hope it stays in SD, it's such a beautiful city.

There are four cities Comic-Con is considering after 2012. Only two of them have the capabilities of handling such a show. Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Vegas has been the strongest contender for years. That's where I'd put my money at this point.

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:27 PM »
I do SDCC every year now .. I work a booth for a manufacturer .. Funko

They sell Bobbleheads .. called Wacky Wobblers .. they have since expanded to designer vinyl .. lots of licenses ..

Personally it is the greatest week of the year for me .. 

I used to see Topps there .. but the booth was getting smaller and smaller ..

I think I saw Mike Jaspersen last year w/ Topps Vault ..

I do see him every year at NYCC .. last year I saw Matt Stock .. or maybe it was the year before ..
Since these are from `08 ..

They have approved the expansion of the Convention Center .. so SDCC will be there for a long time coming ..

How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »
They have approved the expansion of the Convention Center .. so SDCC will be there for a long time coming ..

That's really great to hear!  It's a tradition to bring our kids there every Summer. Lots of fun and it's only 30 minutes away.

Here are some pics I shot of the Funko booth from a couple of years back.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/831650574_LJCdt-XL.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/831650498_HRzU4-X2.jpg[/expando]

And here are some pics from the Topps booth at the 2008 SDCC - http://tinyurl.com/Topps-SDCC2008
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:29:12 PM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:05 AM »
Do you mean they're going to add on to the structure of the building? I didn't think they had anywhere to expand out.

anything