Author Topic: Forum Public Service or More Drama?  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
Forum Public Service or More Drama?
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
A forum member asked about a Wacky item I had for sale. I replied Yes and to PM me, but another forum member snuck in and sold their item to him instead. To me that seemed like a rotten unethical thing to do, stealing my sale like that, and something I would never do.

I want to post their name, but also don't want to stir up more drama on the forum. I personally would want to know what kind of person would do that to a fellow forum member, and I would have second thoughts about dealing with them in the future. Or maybe it's just "business as usual", and no one here cares. Thoughts?

Offline wormypackages

Re: Forum Public Service or More Drama?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
A forum member asked about a Wacky item I had for sale. I replied Yes and to PM me, but another forum member snuck in and sold their item to him instead. To me that seemed like a rotten unethical thing to do, stealing my sale like that, and something I would never do.

I want to post their name, but also don't want to stir up more drama on the forum. I personally would want to know what kind of person would do that to a fellow forum member, and I would have second thoughts about dealing with them in the future. Or maybe it's just "business as usual", and no one here cares. Thoughts?

That would bug me too!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
It's up to you if yoou want to post it. It's kind of a grey area when it comes to forum members but people should know if a trusted forum member welches on a deal. So far the forum has been pretty trustworthy, as it should be, but some times a bad seed falls through the cracks.
I know it's tough not naming names but if we want a safe trading/selling environment sometimes these people need to be exposed. I think most of us know the the trusted people on here but there might be some new members that try to bend the loyalty of forum members.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »

Although I did my fair share of karma points bashing in yesteryear, I actually think it has a useful function and this is an example

You could submit negative feedback and a comment via their Trade Count link, although maybe few people look there  

Or, heck, post their name! We’ve been fairly well behaved. We don’t argue politics or religion or HFCS anymore, so how about a dollop of drama  
                                                                                                                                                                                           :grommit:

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:53:40 AM »

I think that it is wrong.  I personally think if you don't have morals then I do not want to deal with you.  Because if you did it once before you would do it again.  I would confront the person directly (via PM to get all the facts) if the answers are not to your satisfaction,  then let us all know. 

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »

This seems wrong to me as well.  One option would be not to post the forum member's name, but PM letting them your position and asking them not to do something similar in future.  (Although surely this thread would be warning enough.) And that if anything like this happens again, you would post their name publicly. Maybe that's too lenient, but it's another option.

(Edited for a typo.)  

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »

I'd need more info before weighing in on whether you should post something about the other seller.  Was the question for the item asked via a post, or a PM directly to you?  And, how exactly did the timing and communication go?  Did you have a confirmed deal at some point?  I'm just thinking that there could have been a crossover in posts/private messages/emails/phone calls (this has happened before with a "sold" forum post, which went nuclear, as many might remember).  And, it's also possible that the buyer may have actively solicited a lower price from someone else, after committing to you, in which case perhaps the other seller may have been less rotten than the buyer, or maybe even innocent of deliberately trying to cut into your deal. 

Just my 2 cents......

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »
I'd need more info before weighing in on whether you should post something about the other seller.  Was the question for the item asked via a post, or a PM directly to you?  And, how exactly did the timing and communication go?  Did you have a confirmed deal at some point?  I'm just thinking that there could have been a crossover in posts/private messages/emails/phone calls (this has happened before with a "sold" forum post, which went nuclear, as many might remember).  And, it's also possible that the buyer may have actively solicited a lower price from someone else, after committing to you, in which case perhaps the other seller may have been less rotten than the buyer, or maybe even innocent of deliberately trying to cut into your deal. 

Just my 2 cents......

I am with Raw Goo here, need waaaay more information.   Did the forum member who "snuck in" have knowledge of your deal?  Shouldn't you be equally mad at the buyer who had a deal with you and then went elsewhere for the deal? 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:43:56 AM »

I would say, it sounds a bit like the first part of this deal was taking place on the public forum.  With that in mind, it opened the situation up to some level of interloping.  

It's not cool, and we are a community here, and I'd like to think that implies some level of consideration to each other.   As we've discussed quite a lot lately, there is a difference between criminal acts, unethical acts, and opportunistic acts that might make our fellow forum members' hobby-worlds more difficult.  So, I don't think you can approach this situation the same way you would as someone committing fraud.  

I'd also ask, if you were discussing a deal with the buyer, are they also now to blame for backing out, or were they simply taking a better deal.   And at that point, are they both somehow guilty of something?

Perhaps a public announcement is suitable every time someone flakes, or is kind of a jerk, or if something doesn't quite go the way you'd like it to, but I do think some tools and some responses should be reserved for behavior more suitable of a public warning system (fraud and theft, IMO).

At least that's my two-cents.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:49:21 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »

If this other seller picked up on your post and in turn went right to the buyer in an effort to beat you out of the deal, then that is a very dickish thing to do.  It's certainly not the kind of move you like to hear about on a forum, where everyone should be working with each other, not against them.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »
OUT THE NAME!!!  Let them Explain. E-bay is bad enough, now i have to worry about our own forum members?? This is crazy, the person undercutting the price did a BAD deed, legal or not why didnt this person just post publicly that they had the card and would be willing to sell at a lower price.

So a little drama now can save someone some money, time or from being ripped off. Get it out in the open, so others of us dont have to always be looking over our shoulders when making a deal. Its good to know whos naughty and nice...Christmas is coming

Offline Account Closed

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Out the name...maybe...IF you’re sure it was not a miscommunication. But just don't ever post someone's address, phone number, etc.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
If this other seller picked up on your post and in turn went right to the buyer in an effort to beat you out of the deal, then that is a very dickish thing to do.  It's certainly not the kind of move you like to hear about on a forum, where everyone should be working with each other, not against them.

That's exactly what happened. I do not blame the buyer at all. Buyer is new to the forum and did not know it wasn't me that sent them a direct *email* to circumvent my sale (buyer knew of my deal because it was a public posting).
More details:
Buyer posted response to a forum posting of mine to see if item was still available
I posted Yes and to PM me
Buyer PM's me asking if PayPal is OK
I PM 'Yes' and give my PP address
However, an hour before Buyer receives my Yes reply PM, buyer receives a direct email on where to send paypal payment to (from the scumbag seller)
Buyer sends PP payment to scumbag seller not knowing it wasn't me
Since I never heard back from Buyer, a couple days later I PM Buyer if still interested, Buyer then realizes they bought item from scumbag seller and informs me.

It was only a $20 sale, no big deal really. But still pisses me off knowing there are people on this forum that would do this.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
That's exactly what happened. I do not blame the buyer at all. Buyer is new to the forum and did not know it wasn't me that sent them a direct *email* to circumvent my sale (buyer knew of my deal because it was a public posting).
More details:
Buyer posted response to a forum posting of mine to see if item was still available
However, an hour before Buyer receives my Yes reply PM, buyer receives a direct email on where to send paypal payment to (from the scumbag seller)
Since I never heard back from Buyer, a couple days later I PM Buyer if still interested, Buyer then realizes they bought item from scumbag seller and informs me.

It was only a $20 sale, no big deal really. But still pisses me off knowing there are people on this forum that would do this.

OMG, you MUST out this guy, that is borderline criminal.  This 2nd person in effect impersonated you to receive funds the way you descibe how this went down!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
Have you contacted this other seller, the one that appears to have intentionally snaked you?

I'd be curious as to what they have to say for themselves.   There is always the possibility, however unlikely, of a misunderstanding.  

That said, if this went down as it appears to have gone down, it is a pretty snakey move.  

How does this other seller justify their action here?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:15:44 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 01:47:01 AM »
More details:

That's horrendous!!  I think it would be a forum public service for you to let users to know who this seller is so other deals aren't similarly intercepted.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
More details:

Dude!! that is wrong on so many levels!! that shocks even the "Hustler"  :o :o

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »
That's horrendous!!  I think it would be a forum public service for you to let users to know who this seller is so other deals aren't similarly intercepted.

Similarly intercepted? How about we oust the guy so we dont deal with him at all! I for one do not want to deal with this person. If i dont know who he is, how am i not going to deal with him. I think we all deserve to know.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
I agree, this person should be revealed.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
That's much worse than I imagined.  No wonder you're steaming -- you have every right to be furious.   

Offline tearawayface

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
Here Here, I agree, let us gather our torches and pitchforks..

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
I have an idea. How about if this "person" gives themselves up. Just come out and admit it. Say you were wrong, possibly tell us why you would do something like this to a forum member. I think this would save alot of face with the forum members, and with an admition show us your honesty. Admit you were wrong so maybe we all can get on the path to recovery. Otherwise if and When we find out, i'm pretty sure you will be blackballed from the community.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »

Since the forum member is new, are you sure that you were the only one who was asked for this item by this person? Determine that first, because if this person asked a few or more on the same day, then they might have decided to go with whomever they wanted after receiving responses. Which then, they might be embarassed to admit after being confronted on this. But determining this first would insure whether or not your posts were being "watched" and it was truly a "sneak in".

If this is the case, then I would say that the sneak in seller was definately in the wrong and needs to be publicly Wacked with Head & Boulders from Dorka the Executioner.  :'(
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »
Here Here, I agree, let us gather our torches and pitchforks..

My guess is they're either quivering in the corner, in a fetal position, drooling... or they've long since left never to return again.

Duznt: how many posts did the person have? A handful?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
More details:

Okay, I see pitchforks being grabbed, but we still have yet to hear from this other seller, and I think people are making a lot of assumptions. 

If everything is accurate here...this is what happened on the public part of the forum:

First, the buyer, posts to the public forum asking if something is still available.

At that point, the other seller could have seen the post.  Now, I don't think we've seen how long it was before Duzn't posted his public response - was it a few minutes?  A few days? 

The other seller could have seen the post and simply PM'd the person to say that THEY had the item(s), thinking that Duznt's original offer was too old.  There is no clear evidence (that I can currently make out) that they even witnessed the follow-up response by Duznt, the "Yes I do, PM me".  Though there is no evidence that they did not.

But, as long-term members can attest, publicly posting a response to a deal such as "SOLD" does not actually mean you've closed a deal.   I will agree that some consideration, and possibly some investigation, should be taken, before responding to someone's inquiry on an old offer, but still.    If the other seller intentionally tried to pose as Duznt via PM, that is one thing.  But if they responded to a public inquiry about an old offer, that's another. 

At least I think it is.   Let's really look at our limited facts.  Some folks are making assumptions that, while might be true, could just as easily be false.  I'd be curious to know who the other seller was, and what, exactly was in the content of their PM to the buyer.  Without that, I could easily paint a totally different picture of how this played out. 

And...

SOLD!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
Okay, I see pitchforks being grabbed, but we still have yet to hear from this other seller, and I think people are making a lot of assumptions. 

If everything is accurate here...this is what happened on the public part of the forum:

First, the buyer, posts to the public forum asking if something is still available.

At that point, the other seller could have seen the post.  Now, I don't think we've seen how long it was before Duzn't posted his public response - was it a few minutes?  A few days? 

The other seller could have seen the post and simply PM'd the person to say that THEY had the item(s), thinking that Duznt's original offer was too old.  There is no clear evidence (that I can currently make out) that they even witnessed the follow-up response by Duznt, the "Yes I do, PM me".  Though there is no evidence that they did not.

But, as long-term members can attest, publicly posting a response to a deal such as "SOLD" does not actually mean you've closed a deal.   I will agree that some consideration, and possibly some investigation, should be taken, before responding to someone's inquiry on an old offer, but still.    If the other seller intentionally tried to pose as Duznt via PM, that is one thing.  But if they responded to a public inquiry about an old offer, that's another. 

At least I think it is.   Let's really look at our limited facts.  Some folks are making assumptions that, while might be true, could just as easily be false.  I'd be curious to know who the other seller was, and what, exactly was in the content of their PM to the buyer.  Without that, I could easily paint a totally different picture of how this played out. 

And...

SOLD!

what are you TALKING About!!  :^) If the slimy shady seller was innocent he/she should rectify this now with an explanation!! He should just out the name and we can all deal with this directly...without painting any pictures!!
Here's an assumption: Guilty!( via the court of public opinion) >:D >:D

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
what are you TALKING About!!  :^) If the slimy shady seller was innocent he/she should rectify this now with an explanation!! He should just out the name and we can all deal with this directly...without painting any pictures!!
Here's an assumption: Guilty!( via the court of public opinion) >:D >:D
YEAH, Guilty until presumed innocent!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »

Now, I don't think we've seen how long it was before Duzn't posted his public response - was it a few minutes?  A few days? 
no need to speculate. a quick search gives the answer.

the posted request of "is it still available" and the follow up "PM me" are all out there. It was 2hrs 18min 11 secs between them.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 08:20:35 PM »
no need to speculate. a quick search gives the answer.

the posted request of "is it still available" and the follow up "PM me" are all out there. It was 2hrs 18min 11 secs between them.

But still only the person who posted the wanted item knows if he or she did just that one post FOR that item or did he or she also ask other forum members for this item through pm's? Only that person knows this, so still, too much lack of evidence to be breaking out the pitchforks.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
But still only the person who posted the wanted item knows if he or she did just that one post FOR that item or did he or she also ask other forum members for this item through pm's? Only that person knows this, so still, too much lack of evidence to be breaking out the pitchforks.

Only the buyer could answer yours and Jason's questions. I had no reason to think he had any other inquiries out there based on our PM's (which I detailed above).
I have to leave it up to the buyer whether or not he wants me to post who the other seller is. I'm pretty much done with this and will move on. Not happy about it, but oh well.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
I dont know y u made this thread if u never intended 2 put tha name out there.

As I wrote in my original post, I want to post their name, but wanted to see what the forum thought about it first. It seems like most people want to know. I also wanted to make sure that no one would hold it against the buyer or call him a snitch, especially since he's new here.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »
As I wrote in my original post, I want to post their name, but wanted to see what the forum thought about it first. It seems like most people want to know. I also wanted to make sure that no one would hold it against the buyer or call him a snitch, especially since he's new here.

I haven't seen one post condemning the buyer, after all aren't they just as much a victim as you? Dont let anyone else fall prey to this thief, or let us deal with them unknowingly. Once exposed they will have a chance to speak for themselves and explain. If they dont explain (which they should have already) well then eveyone can judge for themselves weather to deal with this person or not.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
I haven't seen one post condemning the buyer, after all aren't they just as much a victim as you? Dont let anyone else fall prey to this thief, or let us deal with them unknowingly. Once exposed they will have a chance to speak for themselves and explain. If they dont explain (which they should have already) well then eveyone can judge for themselves weather to deal with this person or not.

I agree. I'd like to post the name of the seller, but the buyer won't disclose who it is. I thought once he saw the replies to this thread, he would act accordingly. The majority of the responses show that people want to know so they can make their own decision if they want to deal with the seller in the future. But the buyer stopped responding to my PM's, so I guess we'll never know...

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »
I agree. I'd like to post the name of the seller, but the buyer won't disclose who it is. I thought once he saw the replies to this thread, he would act accordingly. The majority of the responses show that people want to know so they can make their own decision if they want to deal with the seller in the future. But the buyer stopped responding to my PM's, so I guess we'll never know...

Maybe none of what you were told by the buyer even ever happened.  Maybe they just made the whole thing up.  Yes it sounds bizarre, but no more  bizarre than someone impersonating you and selling to this buyer.

And it wouldn't be the weirdest thing a Wacky forum had ever seen....