Author Topic: The Bubble-Blowing Kid  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

The Bubble-Blowing Kid
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
I spent about a half hour at the Allentown Show looking through an 8-inch stack of 1st series puzzle pieces that bigtomi was kind enough to bring to the show. I was trying to put together a really nice puzzle. In looking at pieces 6 and 9 over and over again I recalled how powerful I found the image of the bubble-blowing kid as a child. His placid, contented expression is in stark contrast to the naughtiness of his act. For sure one of the most memorable images in wackys!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:28:18 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: The Bubble-Blowing Kid
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
I spent about a half hour at the Allentown Show looking through an 8-inch stack of 1st series puzzle pieces that bigtomi was kind enough to bring to the show. I was trying to put together a really nice puzzle. In looking at pieces 6 and 9 over and over again I recalled how powerful I found the image of the bubble-blowing kid as a child. His placid, contented expression is in stark contrast to the naughtiness of his act. For sure one of the most memorable images in wackys!

You're right. It's as if he's taunting the old lady. He got the reaction he wanted and now he's just relaxing and enjoying it.

Hope you were able to put together a nice puzzle!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »

Agreed, seeing that puzzle always gives me the shivers as it was key part of what started it all for me! 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
I gather that there was a graphic of the Gadzooka bubble boy in this thread at one point... but now I'm seein' some Batman panels. But then I did have some locally-grown mushrooms with dinner.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »
I gather that there was a graphic of the Gadzooka bubble boy in this thread at one point... but now I'm seein' some Batman panels. But then I did have some locally-grown mushrooms with dinner.

lol! Thought it was just me. ;)

Funny how some of the early Wacky images still evoke those same responses from me now. That's my favorite part about them -- connecting again and again with those feelings. Amazing stuff and difficult to explain to those who never experienced it.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
There are so many Wacky images that bring me back to those good 'ol days. Gadzooka boy is definitely one of them. I remember not having very many dupes of that title for some reason, which might have made it that much more special.

This title, along with many others in series 1, makes me remember the first time I saw Wackys at 7-11. I can still picture the exact shelf I walked up to in wonderment. I only bought 2 packs, but that was all it took.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:23:53 AM »
Sorry about that, every time I use the Mac screen shot feature I'm too lazy to change the name of the pic from "Picture 1" to something more specific, so I end up overwriting pics that I've posted sometimes.

But you gotta admit, those panels by Neal Adams are fantastic!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:29:01 AM »
Now we have the best of both worlds, I put the bubble boy back, but you can still see the genius of Adams in the quotes.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
I will never tire of looking at Neal Adams' work....especially Batman.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
I will never tire of looking at Neal Adams' work....especially Batman.

I know what you mean. He's just head and shoulders above all his peers to me. This GL panel couldn't have been pulled off by any other comic book artist:

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
I know what you mean. He's just head and shoulders above all his peers to me. This GL panel couldn't have been pulled off by any other comic book artist:

(Image removed from quote.)

In a week this image will be replaced by the Skimpy guy.

anything