Author Topic: Wacky 1-16  (Read 17255 times)

Offline 70s_Kid

Wacky 1-16
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
With the vast majority of the Wacky chatter being about new wacky material these days, I was wondering how many collectors who frequent this site nowadays have a full 1-16 set?

Offline chipereno

Re: Wacky 1-16
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
I'm gonna guess about 45. There was a list floating around on the other forum.
That's about all i have left after the sell off of 2010. Now I'm back in the buying mode again.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »
I'm gonna guess about 45. There was a list floating around on the other forum.
That's about all i have left after the sell off of 2010. Now I'm back in the buying mode again.

Good to see you post again!

Offline Playskull

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Yea, I think the thread was titled something like "Who Has Sealed The Deal in 1-16?"  It was on Greg's original forum.  I thought the # was well over 45, but I could be wrong.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »
With the vast majority of the Wacky chatter being about new wacky material these days, I was wondering how many collectors who frequent this site nowadays have a full 1-16 set?
An interesting discussion/poll. As Playskull notes, this was in a thread in Greg's forum, started by Scott Broberg, I think. Here's the first post in that thread:
Quote from: ToadalToad
In another thread, someone brought up a great question...
How many people have completed their 1-16 run (and still owns it, that is).  I don't think anyone's ever tried to count how many complete 1-16 runs of Wackys there are out there.  So, I decided to post this (like I did with the Target Sheet Count) to see what happens. 

Here's the deal...just copy the names listed & add your own if you have a complete 1-16 run.  I think we need to make a distinction between the 3 different types of runs out there, though, just as a parenthetical aside after your name.

A = One complete set of each series, 1 thru 16, with complete puzzles, and including Bandache, RunTony, Bumchex, Chokewagon, Windhex, MessClairoil, Pupsi, and BOTH variations of Spit&Spill, Grime, and Scoot, plus complete VARIATION puzzles for series 4,6,8,10.  Assumes that everything is in-tact & in collectable condition of EX or better.  No borderless or restuck.  Let's not worry about "back variations" or cut variants (Cram), or cloths, though.  Those are special.  ONE set of each series, doesn't matter which backs.  This is the "REAL" 1-16 run.

B = Complete set of 1-16 stickers with ALL variation stickers, but just ONE complete puzzle for each set.  Some people go this route and it should still be counted as a 1-16 run.

C = Complete set of 1-16 stickers AS REPRESENTED ON THE CHECKLISTS THAT GO WITH THEM.  For example, Bandache & RunTony must be present, but BumChex & Choke Wagon can be absent if the 4th series puzzle is the Windhex/Mess variety.  One Spit, Grime, Scoot sticker.  Pupsi's a toss-up, though.  Not sure if that should be in or out.  Hopefully nobody has gone this route, though.  It seems so naked.

NO REISSUE STICKERS, REPRODUCTIONS, DIECUTS/WACKY ADS, RE-STUCKS, BORDERLESS, OBVIOUS WONDERBREADS or UKs, OPCs, etc.  The run has to be authentic and complete to be counted. 

OK...WHO has completed the task???

Here is the last post containing the list dated 12/22/08:
Quote from: anonymous
1. ToadalToad (Scott): A
2. Charboy (Greg): A
3. Snotdrops (David): A
4. CapnCrud (John): A
5. Liptorn (Willie): A
6. Blank Crows (Bill): B
7. All-Brain (Jeff): (traded an A for a Reissue dynasty)
8. Slamjim (Dave): A
9. Schmutz: A+ (1-16 + full set of unopened packs)
10. Run-A-Way (Kirk): A/A
11. Soremel (George): B/B/B
12. bigtomi (Tom P): A
13. Moron Chicken (John K): A
14. battlecaps (Matt): A
15. Zenergizer (Paul H.): A-
16. Plastered Peanut (David C): A
17. Oh_Hairy (Harry): A
18. bandaches (Ernie): B
19. Mountain_Goo (Randy): A
20. DitchMasters (Andy): A
21. GadzookaBoy (Ron): A-
22. Truant (Tom): B
23. PDQBlues (Paul F.): A
24. HawaiianPunks (Jeff): A
25. Creep (Rusty): A
26. Lavirus: B-
27. Jerkens: B
28. 70s_Kid (JeffMac): C
29. run_tony (Mike): A
30. Playskull (James S): B
31. Chipereno: A-
32. RaMpB (Richie): A/A (1 set 4 each kid so no fighting)
33. BumChex (Brad): A
34. Tic_Toc (Craig): A/A- (missing Scoot NC in 2nd set)
35. Sugarmess: A-
36. stingray(Daryl): B
37. dementedtomatoes(Frank):A (missing Scoot no copyright)
38. dr_popper (Rob): A
39. RawGoo (Pat): A
40. TIED..up: A
41. Crackedjerk (Tom): C
42. Hipton
43. cmgmd (Charlie): A

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »
I'm close. I'm missing the right side of the 16th puzzle and one sticker.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Wow, my bad.  The # is only in the 40's.  I was thinking it was in the 60's.  I wish I could "seal the deal" with diecuts through 16th.  Now that would be an accomplishment.  Damn Ratz, Cracked Animals & Jolly Mean 21 ... knowing that I will never own these 3 makes me unmotivated to collect the other diecuts. 

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
Wow, my bad.  The # is only in the 40's.  I was thinking it was in the 60's.  I wish I could "seal the deal" with diecuts through 16th.  Now that would be an accomplishment.  Damn Ratz, Cracked Animals & Jolly Mean 21 ... knowing that I will never own these 3 makes me unmotivated to collect the other diecuts. 

Heh -- I have the same feeling but have decided to just keep collecting the vintage ones as long as I enjoy 'em, but not to the point of obsession. The Good 'n Empty is like that for the Wacky Ads too.

I'm a long way from a complete 1-16 but figure it will happen "some day" and plan to enjoy the ride! If I stop enjoying the ride I'll set them free and try something else.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 07:42:36 AM »
An interesting discussion/poll. As Playskull notes, this was in a thread in Greg's forum, started by Scott Broberg, I think. Here's the first post in that thread:
Here is the last post containing the list dated 12/22/08:

Great find!  I had forgotten about that.  I had a "C" back then.  I am up to an "A" now !  Woo Hoo !

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:19:50 AM »
I didn't make the list back then, but now have an "A"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »
Heh -- I have the same feeling but have decided to just keep collecting the vintage ones as long as I enjoy 'em, but not to the point of obsession. The Good 'n Empty is like that for the Wacky Ads too.

I'm a long way from a complete 1-16 but figure it will happen "some day" and plan to enjoy the ride! If I stop enjoying the ride I'll set them free and try something else.

I don't know what is holding you back because they haven't been as cheap as they are now.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 06:43:04 AM »
I have a complete "B" set.  I do have both versions of Spit And Spill and Grime.  I dont have variation puzzles or the variation of Scoot and really not concerned about that.  I do have Bum CHex, Choke Wagon, Mess Clairoil and Windhex.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 07:20:16 AM »
I don't know what is holding you back because they haven't been as cheap as they are now.

Just $$$ overall. Been kicking myself a bit for spending so much on ANS7 and ANS8. Should have spent the bulk of it on vintage Wackys. Going to do this for ANS9+. I'm going to stick with PC's and OS for the new stuff from now on.

Need to fill in my series 1 missing cards, especially the tough ones (I only have Mutts at the moment). I have Bum Chex, Choke Wagon, and the Spit & Spill variant. Believe I have all of 2-9 (I actually have multiple sets of 2 and 9, my faves, need to sell/trade the extras for my missing stuff).

Most of what I'm missing is in the 14-16 range. And I don't have all the puzzles.

So I better get on it! ;)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 07:58:39 AM »
I have a complete "B" set.  I do have both versions of Spit And Spill and Grime.  I dont have variation puzzles or the variation of Scoot and really not concerned about that.  I do have Bum CHex, Choke Wagon, Mess Clairoil and Windhex.

Did you ever get that last S16 puzzle piece you needed?  You had that one hanging forever!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
Yes, I did.  Bigtomi helped me out approximately a year ago. I had to go back through my messages to find when the time was.  Thanks for the inquiry.  It's nice when people look out for each other.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Just $$$ overall. Been kicking myself a bit for spending so much on ANS7 and ANS8. Should have spent the bulk of it on vintage Wackys. Going to do this for ANS9+. I'm going to stick with PC's and OS for the new stuff from now on.

Need to fill in my series 1 missing cards, especially the tough ones (I only have Mutts at the moment). I have Bum Chex, Choke Wagon, and the Spit & Spill variant. Believe I have all of 2-9 (I actually have multiple sets of 2 and 9, my faves, need to sell/trade the extras for my missing stuff).

Most of what I'm missing is in the 14-16 range. And I don't have all the puzzles.

So I better get on it! ;)
I think many of us have kicked ourselves for overspending on ANS stuff.  I've gotten a lot better with recent releases.  I still haven't finished ANS7 and I haven't bought one ANS8 pack yet!  I have yet to see the ANS8 base set!  I know it will be there for me down the road, should I choose to go after it (and for a hell of a lot cheaper that I would have paid when the stuff was brand new).  My best advice for you is to concentrate on the 16th Series if you are serious about knocking out 1-16.  Don't even worry about the other vintage stuff until you get the 16th done.  It will be downhill from there.  The 16th stuff is still cheap compared to what it was a few years ago.  And for goodness sake, save and buy the complete 16th puzzle in one shot.  Don't try to build it one card at a time or you'll drive yourself crazy.  If I were you, the only thing that may cause me to stray from my goal are limited releases, like the postcards.  Otherwise, I'm concentrating almost solely on the 16th Series for now. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 05:51:50 PM »
I think many of us have kicked ourselves for overspending on ANS stuff.  I've gotten a lot better with recent releases.  I still haven't finished ANS7 and I haven't bought one ANS8 pack yet!  I have yet to see the ANS8 base set!  I know it will be there for me down the road, should I choose to go after it (and for a hell of a lot cheaper that I would have paid when the stuff was brand new).  My best advice for you is to concentrate on the 16th Series if you are serious about knocking out 1-16.  Don't even worry about the other vintage stuff until you get the 16th done.  It will be downhill from there.  The 16th stuff is still cheap compared to what it was a few years ago.  And for goodness sake, save and buy the complete 16th puzzle in one shot.  Don't try to build it one card at a time or you'll drive yourself crazy.  If I were you, the only thing that may cause me to stray from my goal are limited releases, like the postcards.  Otherwise, I'm concentrating almost solely on the 16th Series for now. 

If you wait on these new releases like you are doing you can get them so much cheaper.  The problem I have with doing that is I really like the opening process and the excitement during the first couple of weeks collecting and figuring out the details of the series.  The other issue I have is potentially missing out on something rare because I waited too long, but if you don't collect the rare subsets that's not an issue.

Sometimes I am shocked by how cheap you can get a master set of a series like ANS8 if you wait a few months.  They usually drop to at least half the original eBay prices.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
I was going to wait on ANS8 and just couldn't resist -- mainly because I found some Bonus Boxes at Target and that got me started... So last time at this and it was actually pretty fun, I just don't want to do it again. I'll stick to Postcards and Old School for the new stuff.

So where is the best place to buy vintage 16th series cards/puzzles? eBay? Somewhere else?

I've got a handful of the 16th stickers (either 5 or 6 of them -- it's been awhile since I looked -- which reminds me I still need to catalog my Wackys!), and zero of the puzzle pieces. I still recall seeing the most beautiful stickers+puzzle set on eBay, but it ended up going for $1600 or something, which was more than I wanted to spend! I also saw an unopened box someone found, but it was pulled shortly after it was posted. Always wonder what happened to it...

Offline emoticon

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »
I didn't start collecting series 16 until about 2-3 years ago. High quality stickers have ranged from 40-60 the whole time. What were they going for at their peak?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
If you wait on these new releases like you are doing you can get them so much cheaper.  The problem I have with doing that is I really like the opening process and the excitement during the first couple of weeks collecting and figuring out the details of the series.  The other issue I have is potentially missing out on something rare because I waited too long, but if you don't collect the rare subsets that's not an issue.

Sometimes I am shocked by how cheap you can get a master set of a series like ANS8 if you wait a few months.  They usually drop to at least half the original eBay prices.

I think it silly to "wait" on completing ANS wackys.  I bought a few bonus boxes and through trading completed my base set.  It seems silly to lose out on the fun aspect of collecting which is killing packs and trading all to save what literally could amount to less than $10.  Is it really fun to buy a base set months after it came out and everyone is done talking about it purely to stick in a binder and feel complete?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
I think it silly to "wait" on completing ANS wackys.  I bought a few bonus boxes and through trading completed my base set.  It seems silly to lose out on the fun aspect of collecting which is killing packs and trading all to save what literally could amount to less than $10.  Is it really fun to buy a base set months after it came out and everyone is done talking about it purely to stick in a binder and feel complete?

Nope, not as much fun, but if you missed out on a new series and are trying to fill in collection holes months later, it does scratch than completest itch.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
Nope, not as much fun, but if you missed out on a new series and are trying to fill in collection holes months later, it does scratch than completest itch.
Totally agree!  I still don't have all of my ANS base sets as I think ANS5 and ANS7 came and went before I could get interested.  I have several people who have told me they have so many of those sets that they will just give them to me next time I can make a show for my helping them in the past.  The completist in me has slowly died out so I have been unmotivated to go back and pick up my missing items.  I will eventually as I want to see all of the titles.  I store my ANS sets in the order of my ranking from best to worst, I don't store them by item.  Call me weird  :P
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
Totally agree!  I still don't have all of my ANS base sets as I think ANS5 and ANS7 came and went before I could get interested.  I have several people who have told me they have so many of those sets that they will just give them to me next time I can make a show for my helping them in the past.  The completist in me has slowly died out so I have been unmotivated to go back and pick up my missing items.  I will eventually as I want to see all of the titles.  I store my ANS sets in the order of my ranking from best to worst, I don't store them by item.  Call me weird  :P

Weird  ;D

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »

Weird? No, but like most of us collectors, probably some habits that would have Freud drooling. I think we all are opinionated, strong-willed, stubborn psychotics... but really good people.  ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
The completist thing is getting too crazy with all the new stuff. I love the new stuff so don't get me wrong. I just can't keep track of it all. I now have around 10 binders full of cards from just the last few series. My 2 PC binders are completely full. My OLDS2 binder is about to burst with all the sketches...LOL
I get a set of erasers and they go right into a box so I never see them anymore.
My real passion is OS 1-16 and sketch cards. I love the sketch cards because the artists can expand on the character concept. Some are very unique and original. I also think most collectors are getting sketched out! My hunch is that OLDS3 sketch cards may not go as high as previous series unless Jay does some amazing stuff. Not taking anything away from the other artists but now with them taking the reigns off Jay we could see some really amazing sketches. That could be scary due to the price some of those will go for.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »
Weird? No, but like most of us collectors, probably some habits that would have Freud drooling. I think we all are opinionated, strong-willed, stubborn psychotics... but really good people.  ;)
LOL, well put!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
I think we all are opinionated, strong-willed, stubborn psychotics... but really good people.  ;)
Really? Really?  :friends:

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:48 PM »
I store my ANS sets in the order of my ranking from best to worst, I don't store them by item.  Call me weird  :P
I LOVE that idea! I'm going to gut my ANS binder and make a new one, placing my favorites up front and the rest randomly after that. Or maybe dump all the ones I really don't like. Screw number orders. I don't take orders from Topps! Either way, completionism sounds more like a condition than a fun time. Collect what you like, not just what comes next.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 07:08:56 AM »
I LOVE that idea! I'm going to gut my ANS binder and make a new one, placing my favorites up front and the rest randomly after that. Or maybe dump all the ones I really don't like. Screw number orders. I don't take orders from Topps! Either way, completionism sounds more like a condition than a fun time. Collect what you like, not just what comes next.
Ready for more of my weirdness?  I have never, not one single time, read the back of these cards.  I have no idea of the content.  Maybe this is a disservice to the people who took the time to come up with the content, dunno, don't care.  Just to be clear, I sort by set and within each set I store them in best to worst order.  I think this is one reason I am so clueless as to how many cards exist per set.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
I have all 1-16 Original (A)set also All Wacky Ads & All Die Cuts as I have been collecting Wackys,in a  seriously mode for 20 years. I remember being a kid in the 60's having die-cuts, not realizing what they were at the time. They must have been lost or thrown out as the years went on then in 73 with series 1 coming out me & a neighboorhood friend started buying them. We would go to a little candy shop to get them in New York, there was an old Italian man who owned the store. We were keen on getting a set complete, Topps issued the next series & soon after the 3rd but we both didnt comlete 2. I remember asking the man about the last series & his response was " We no asella 2nd aseries WackyApacks ano more" with the heavy accent.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »
I remember asking the man about the last series & his response was " We no asella 2nd aseries WackyApacks ano more" with the heavy accent.

lol!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »
I store my ANS sets in the order of my ranking from best to worst, I don't store them by item.  Call me weird  :P

This makes some sense to me. I've been considering going through all ANS and making a binder of my favorites. This seems like sacrilege to me, as I tend to want things in numerical order and so forth, but I know I'd enjoy looking at my stickers more frequently if my favorites were not mixed in with my non-favorites. I'm torn between organization and efficiency.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
Ready for more of my weirdness?  I have never, not one single time, read the back of these cards.  I have no idea of the content.  Maybe this is a disservice to the people who took the time to come up with the content, dunno, don't care.  Just to be clear, I sort by set and within each set I store them in best to worst order.  I think this is one reason I am so clueless as to how many cards exist per set.

Interesting idea. I can understand wanting them in that order. I like that it works for you but now that I consider it, I know it wouldn't work for me. My favorites change constantly. Some grow on me and others lose favor. I'd have to sit there and make (and second guess) 30 decisions. (Edit: Wait, 55+ decisions.) I haven't read all the backs but when I have, some of them have turned out to be hilarious. I know at some point I will go back and read ones I've missed.

I do think collecting is a condition, though. I think we're all fucked in the head.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:19:21 AM by Gurgle »

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:48 AM »
Interesting idea. I can understand wanting them in that order. I like that it works for you but now that I consider it, I know it wouldn't work for me. My favorites change constantly. Some grow on me and others lose favor. I'd have to sit there and make (and second guess) 30 decisions. I haven't read all the backs but when I have, some of them have turned out to be hilarious. I know at some point I will go back and read ones I've missed.

I do think collecting is a condition, though. I think we're all fucked in the head.
I see you are a FZ fan. Right On !!!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
Interesting idea. I can understand wanting them in that order. I like that it works for you but now that I consider it, I know it wouldn't work for me. My favorites change constantly. Some grow on me and others lose favor. I'd have to sit there and make (and second guess) 30 decisions. (Edit: Wait, 55+ decisions.) I haven't read all the backs but when I have, some of them have turned out to be hilarious. I know at some point I will go back and read ones I've missed.

I have no doubt I am missing out on some good stuff on the card backs.  To alleviate the issue you brought up about the need to resort them, I am only interested in my initial non biased reactions to each title so once I complete a set, I sort them Best to worst and it is forever documented for me.  Like you, I find my ranking would change based on others' comments, sketch drawings, original artwork reviews and such....so I keep it simple, no changes.  I guess I have an organized approach to my disorganziation....and you are right, there is no question we are all f-ed in the head!