Author Topic: Halloween Post Cards 2011 - No sketch discussion, actually lreview the set!  (Read 10153 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
So what does everyone think of the post card set?  I haven't even seen a thread that lists all of the post cards.

Toothie Roll: damn good art, recognizable product, "candy tweat" doesn't add any value to the gag 'B'

Cracker Drac: no effort at rendering on the mini card but do love the postcard version although the cracker jacks themselves lack detail, decent gag, recognizable product 'C+'

Humanhead: very flat packaging, gags are good and all relate, not all that familiar with the product C+

Alltoads: Damn good art, recognizable product, love the gags, 'A'

Witchamacallit: Good art, a little flat looking on the bottom, recognizable product, good gags, 'A-'

Bog Red: Love the art, recognizable product, not sure the gags all hold together, "wrinkleys" and "petrified sticks in a Bog? "B-"

Ork: Love the art, recognizable product, love the "forget the sensation, run" "A"

Hairy Mane: Something about the art is off, it seems the left side is tilted more forward than the the back side is titled away.  Reconizable product, good gags, B-

Hairr Boo: doesn't do much for me C-
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline WACKY_SNIPER

I'M LOVING THA ART WORK FOR THE SET JUST REALLY COOL

ORK A+ THIS IS MY FAV OF THEM ALL

CRACKER DRAC C- I DONT KNOW SOMETHING IS OFF HERE

HUMANHEAD D THIS IS MY LEAST FAV

HAIR BOO A+ LOVE THE ART LOOKS OLD SKOOL DONT ASK Y

ALLTOADS B NICE ART

HAIRY MANE A+ LOVE THE WHOLE CONCEPT

TOOTHIE ROLL A  IT GOES WITH THA HALLOWEEN THEME WELL

BOG RED B LIKE THE DETAIL

WITCHAMACALLIT B LOVE THE WITCH ART

Offline Monsterettes

Great idea Ernie, here is my two cents. First -- what a strong set, so much to relish!  The candy theme provides wonderful unity, a mighty sweet treat.

Toothie Roll  Like the idea and simplicity that evokes the original wackys.  The execution on the teeth doesn't quite work for me, they aren't as convincing (either as goofy or as realisitic) as I want them to be.  

Cracker Drac Really like the pun and of course perfect for Halloween.  "Free Coffin Inside" seems a bit forced, but other elements -- like the bat faces -- are great.  I prefer the full size postcard to the mini, although the later is appealing in being closer to the graphic on the actual package.  

Humanhead This one stopped me in my tracks, in a good way.  Always saw Lemonheads at the convenience store when I was a kid (and sometimes now!) so immediate recognition, with that wacky twist.  "Jivaro Clan" is a hilarious pun. Love the cute Lemonhead on the real package being morphed into a Halloween horror.

Alltoads Love it.  Those frogs have real character and "made across the pond" made me smile.  The frogs peeping out from inside the box are a spooky joy.  I appreciate the care in matching the color scheme of the frogs to that of the plant pictured on the real box.

witchamacallit I wish I could see the original art, the postcard looks a little muddy and I suspect the work itself doesn't look like that.

Bog Red I really love the Bog Red sketches, but the postcard image is too abstract. I didn't even understand there was a bog creature in there until I saw Pat's drawings.  Color is too uniform for me.  Good effort, but not quite there.

Ork Utterly wonderful.  The face only a mother -- or a wacky fan -- could love.  And love it I do.  Look how he's holding his pinkie out!  Such a great gag by changing only one letter in the real name.

Hairy Mane I like the transformation of little Mary Jane into gruesome Hairy Mane and the line "It's Cute! It's Hirsute!" is superb.  The simple style matches the real Mary Jane package.  And really appropriate for Halloween -- everyone preferred little candy bars to another Mary Jane. Getting those, now that was a horror.

Hairi-Boo Like the gag and the idea, but the bear ghost is too cute for my taste.  Wish he looked more like the ghost bears in the bag.  Love that the "window" on the wrapper is edged with teeth, such a nice touch.      

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:03:00 PM by Monsterettes »

Offline bandaches

Great idea Ernie, here is my two cents. First -- what a strong set, so much to relish!  The candy theme provides wonderful unity, a mighty sweet treat.

Toothie Roll  Like the idea and simplicity that evokes the original wackys.  The execution on the teeth doesn't quite work for me, they aren't as convincing (either as goofy or as realisitic) as I want them to be.  

Cracker Drac Really like the pun and of course perfect for Halloween.  "Free Coffin Inside" seems a bit forced, but other elements -- like the bat faces -- are great.  I prefer the full size postcard to the mini, although the later is appealing in being closer to the graphic on the actual package.  

Humanhead This one stopped me in my tracks, in a good way.  Always saw Lemonheads at the convenience store when I was a kid (and sometimes now!) so immediate recognition, with that wacky twist.  "Jivaro Clan" is a hilarious pun. Love the cute Lemonhead on the real package being morphed into a Halloween horror.

Alltoads Love it.  Those frogs have real character and "made across the pond" made me smile.  The frogs peeping out from inside the box are a spooky joy.  I appreciate the care in matching the color scheme of the frogs to that of the plant pictured on the real box.

witchamacallit I wish I could see the original art, the postcard looks a little muddy and I suspect the work itself doesn't look like that.

Bog Red I really love the Bog Red sketches, but the postcard image is too abstract. I didn't even understand there was a bog creature in there until I saw Pat's drawings.  Color is too uniform for me.  Good effort, but not quite there.

Ork Utterly wonderful.  The face only a mother -- or a wacky fan -- could love.  And love it I do.  Look how he's holding his pinkie out!  Such a great gag by changing only one letter in the real name.

Hairy Mane I like the transformation of little Mary Jane into gruesome Hairy Mane and the line "It's Cute! It's Hirsute!" is superb.  The simple style matches the real Mary Jane package.  And really appropriate for Halloween -- everyone preferred little candy bars to another Mary Jane. Getting those, now that was a horror.

Hairi-Boo Like the gag and the idea, but the bear ghost is too cute for my taste.  Wish he looked more like the ghost bears in the bag.  Love that the "window" on the wrapper is edged with teeth, such a nice touch.      

Great writeup!!
How would you rank them?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
So what does everyone think of the post card set?  I haven't even seen a thread that lists all of the post cards.

Toothie Roll: damn good art, recognizable product, "candy tweat" doesn't add any value to the gag 'B'

Cracker Drac: no effort at rendering on the mini card but do love the postcard version although the cracker jacks themselves lack detail, decent gag, recognizable product 'C+'

Humanhead: very flat packaging, gags are good and all relate, not all that familiar with the product C+

Alltoads: Damn good art, recognizable product, love the gags, 'A'

Witchamacallit: Good art, a little flat looking on the bottom, recognizable product, good gags, 'A-'

Bog Red: Love the art, recognizable product, not sure the gags all hold together, "wrinkleys" and "petrified sticks in a Bog? "B-"

Ork: Love the art, recognizable product, love the "forget the sensation, run" "A"

Hairy Mane: Something about the art is off, it seems the left side is tilted more forward than the the back side is titled away.  Reconizable product, good gags, B-

Hairr Boo: doesn't do much for me C-

I'm too tired too break each one down right now, but Alltoads and ORK are my favorites for sure.  The original art just showed up for both of those too!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline DrSushi

Great writeup!!
How would you rank them?

Great thread!

I'll just list my 3 favorites:

My favorite is Humanhead. I laughed out loud when I first saw it. The gags all mesh (even though I hadn't heard of the Jivaro Clan, I kinda figured it out in context - and how serendipitous that it substitutes so well for Ferrara Pan). And the art is an accurate representation of the bland yellow packaging. Great wacky!

I also really like Alltoads - "Curious Amphibian" and "PEEPermint" with the toads peeping out from inside are a stitch, and the characters and rendering are top notch. "Made Across the Pond" is a great tag line.

I'm also partial to Ork - the art is just eye-popping. I must admit I'm a bit conflicted on whether orks are too obscure, but I'm more than willing to overlook this as the name fits so well with the simple removal of the "Y".

Another great set, these are starting to be my favorite thing about Halloween!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Great thread!

My favorite is Humanhead. I laughed out loud when I first saw it. The gags all mesh (even though I hadn't heard of the Jivaro Clan, I kinda figured it out in context - and how serendipitous that it substitutes so well for Ferrara Pan). And the art is an accurate representation of the bland yellow packaging. Great wacky!

Jivaro Clan is the best tagline written for Wacky Packages in a long time!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
The original art just showed up for both of those too!

And the b&w concept art for Alltoads is on ebay, too (auction #: 270837600800)!

Offline FourRoses

Bog Red

Very simple yet quite effective. Just what I like.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
And the b&w concept art for Alltoads is on ebay, too (auction #: 270837600800)!

I saw that.  I bet the art for Alltoads and Ork go very high.  Anyone know what the highest selling price has been for post-2004 original art?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
I'm too tired too break each one down right now, but Alltoads and ORK are my favorites for sure.  The original art just showed up for both of those too!

I second that Boss - ORK and ALLToads - my favs...well done!! also like BOG - clean and simple

Offline Monsterettes

I second that!  Don't know who came up with it (Bueller?), but a truly inspired gag!

Offline Monsterettes

Great writeup!!
How would you rank them?
Whew, mighty tough call.  Here is my best shot on grades after my exegesis:

Toothie Roll  B

Cracker Drac B+

Humanhead A+

Alltoads A

witchamacallit -- without seeing the original art, C+ to B-  If I saw the art, wouldn't surprise me if I felt it was an A-, maybe even an A

Bog Red B-

Ork A+

Hairy Mane B+ to A- Actually I agree with Ernie about the perspective on the package; the only thing that keeps it from being A or A+

Hairi-Boo B-
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:27:36 PM by Monsterettes »

Offline bandaches

I honestly have no idea what that references.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist

Offline bandaches

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
Overall really like this set of postcards! Nice work all!  :great:

Here are my individual critiques. For the artists, please keep in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about and just putting in my two cents as positive feedback only:

Alltoads - Fantastic art, great gag - love it! I swear the art feels "rounded" like the original product's tin. Kudos.

Ork - Funny in a creepy-cute kinda way. My wife liked this one a lot. Now we have to find a Pet Ork.

Humanhead - Gag is great and really liked the artwork here. Minimalistic -- like the original product -- yet conveyed a certain creepy feel hard to put a finger on. Nicely done!

Hairi-Boo - LOVE the little guys inside and really wish the big guy on the outside of the package was more similar -- he seemed a bit too cute? Love the color of the ghosts -- spot on. Wished this was a full-sized postcard.

Hairy Mane - Hilarious gags! Love how the werewolf looks a bit "uncomfortable" in that outfit. Never liked these bars as a kid and always thought they were kinda strange. Definitely conveyed that feeling with the art. Nicely done.

Bog Red - Really like the sketches better than the postcard, because it was so hard (for me anyway) to discern the bog creature in the art. Too much red maybe? Dunno. Couldn't tell that was a big eye in the center because of the -- I'm guessing: reflected look of death from the victim in it (looks like a face with an x for the eye?). Wished there were several of Pat's excellent sketched bog creatures on this card. Even better would have been them "spilling out" somehow from the product onto the rest of the card (like it was on an imaginary table, etc.).

Toothie Roll - Love the gag but wanted to see someone toothless holding it in their hands on the product. Think it's just missing the caricature aspect.

Witch-a-ma-call-it - Great gag but a bit too brown/tan. I know this is the product but a bit too visually muddled. Maybe needs more orange? Reminds me a LOT of the real product. I swear I could almost smell it when I saw this card! That says something.

Cracker Drac - Love the name but really wish the gag had been done such that the dog was also a vampire and the two of them could look sinister together (i.e. as a team). Who could resist a vampire dog on a Wacky! Heck, that could've been a new Wacky Character!

I don't really understand the mini Cracker Drac card in this series. Seems like they could have left this out.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Great thread!

I also really like Alltoads - "Curious Amphibian" and "PEEPermint" with the toads peeping out from inside are a stitch, and the characters and rendering are top notch. "Made Across the Pond" is a great tag line.

I'm also partial to Ork - the art is just eye-popping. I must admit I'm a bit conflicted on whether orks are too obscure, but I'm more than willing to overlook this as the name fits so well with the simple removal of the "Y".

Another great set, these are starting to be my favorite thing about Halloween!

Not to be lazy here, but this is exactly my impression of the set. I really like Humanhead too because it struck me right away - like Lemonheads, I can relate to that sucked in face expression you get with the real sour candy. This takes it to the extreme shrinking your head - awesome, scary just like Halloween!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:48:21 AM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline DrSushi

Not to be lazy here, but this is exactly my impression of the set. I really like Humanhead too because it struck me right away - like sourheads, I can relate to that sucked in face expression you get with the real sour candy. This takes it to the extreme shrinking your head - awesome, scary just like Halloween!!
Nice point, I wish I'd written that!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
I really like Humanhead too because it struck me right away - like sourheads, I can relate to that sucked in face expression you get with the real sour candy.

Lemonheads, you mean, of course. And I didn't even think of that pucker expression working so well with the original product.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Lemonheads, you mean, of course. And I didn't even think of that pucker expression working so well with the original product.

It must have been subliminal - or sublemonal.  :-\
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

Reviewing halloween postcards 2010 and 2011, I would have to say Humanheads is a step above the rest.
Jivaro Clan/Ferrara Pan
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Geez, I just realized all my comments on the Wackys in this set have been via PMs and/or emails, and I never posted here.  My bad!

So, here goes, in card number order:

1.  Ork -  I really like this one!  Part of it is that I very much like and enjoy York Peppermint Patties, but this Wacky just grabs me.  The ork is so well done, and I love the lines "Forget the Sensation - Run" and "Pulverized Pattie."  The wrapper look and feel seem well captured.

2.  Bog Red - I don't really get this one, although I do recognize the product and packaging.

3.  Hairy Mane - This appeals to me both because of the gag and how it reminds me of original Wackys.  "It's cute! It's hirsute!" is too funny.  And, this is a common Halloween candy, which is a plus.

4.  Alltoads - This one rocks!  The "made across the pond" line is fantastic, and the toad characters are wonderfully silly and snooty.  I love the little toads escaping from under the lid.  And Matthew really nailed the tin.

5.  Humanhead - I actually see Lemonhead candy boxes in the bin when I buy Mike and Ike boxes for work, so I recognized the product immediately.  The Jivaro Clan reference is incredible, and all the other gags tie in so well it's amazing.  I am curious about the logo on the bottom right - looks like 4 logs under a lemon shaped pot, presumably to boil and shrink heads.  Are there 3 letter "C's" on three of the logs that mean something?  Or is there just one log with no rings?

6.  Witchamacallit - I like the title gag and concept, but the image seems a little fuzzy, and where the witch's rear end goes over into the crimped part of the wrapper, it just seems off to me somehow.  But otherwise the witch looks great, and I like the "nose warts" count.

7a.  Hairi-Boo - I don't recognize the product, and so don't get the gag, but I really like the little ghosts that are 'visible' through the clear part of the wrapper.

7b.  Cracker Drac - I really like this one, it seems to capture the Cracker Jack box, and the vampire biting the dog is great, while still representing the 'feel' of the regular box art.  I mean, how many times do you get to see a vampire wearing a Gilligan hat??  I love the bats, too.  And the "free coffin inside" is a great touch.

Promo Baby Wrath -  The maniacal baby makes this one, especially with the Ruth Less tattoo.  And, the wrapper is really well reproduced.  I like the little sawed off shreds flying away, makes it look active.

Offline bandaches

Geez, I just realized all my comments on the Wackys in this set have been via PMs and/or emails, and I never posted here.  My bad!

So, here goes, in card number order:

1.  Ork -  I really like this one!  Part of it is that I very much like and enjoy York Peppermint Patties, but this Wacky just grabs me.  The ork is so well done, and I love the lines "Forget the Sensation - Run" and "Pulverized Pattie."  The wrapper look and feel seem well captured.

2.  Bog Red - I don't really get this one, although I do recognize the product and packaging.

3.  Hairy Mane - This appeals to me both because of the gag and how it reminds me of original Wackys.  "It's cute! It's hirsute!" is too funny.  And, this is a common Halloween candy, which is a plus.

4.  Alltoads - This one rocks!  The "made across the pond" line is fantastic, and the toad characters are wonderfully silly and snooty.  I love the little toads escaping from under the lid.  And Matthew really nailed the tin.

5.  Humanhead - I actually see Lemonhead candy boxes in the bin when I buy Mike and Ike boxes for work, so I recognized the product immediately.  The Jivaro Clan reference is incredible, and all the other gags tie in so well it's amazing.  I am curious about the logo on the bottom right - looks like 4 logs under a lemon shaped pot, presumably to boil and shrink heads.  Are there 3 letter "C's" on three of the logs that mean something?  Or is there just one log with no rings?

6.  Witchamacallit - I like the title gag and concept, but the image seems a little fuzzy, and where the witch's rear end goes over into the crimped part of the wrapper, it just seems off to me somehow.  But otherwise the witch looks great, and I like the "nose warts" count.

7a.  Hairi-Boo - I don't recognize the product, and so don't get the gag, but I really like the little ghosts that are 'visible' through the clear part of the wrapper.

7b.  Cracker Drac - I really like this one, it seems to capture the Cracker Jack box, and the vampire biting the dog is great, while still representing the 'feel' of the regular box art.  I mean, how many times do you get to see a vampire wearing a Gilligan hat??  I love the bats, too.  And the "free coffin inside" is a great touch.

Promo Baby Wrath -  The maniacal baby makes this one, especially with the Ruth Less tattoo.  And, the wrapper is really well reproduced.  I like the little sawed off shreds flying away, makes it look active.
Great write up!  How would you rank them or give them letter grades?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Great write up!  How would you rank them or give them letter grades?

I accidentally left off Toothie Roll - I like the art for the crinkled left end of the wrapper.  But the different size letters in the title bother me, and the teeth just don't do it for me.  I'm not sure what "Candy tweat" is supposed to be a gag for.

Here's my ranking, which isn't easy to do, as I appreciate all of them as cool Wackys:

Ork
Alltoads
Human Heads
Hairy Mane
Cracker Drac
Baby Wrath
Witchamacallit
Bog Red
Hairi-Boo
Toothie Roll

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
I'm not sure what "Candy tweat" is supposed to be a gag for.

I think it's because when you lose teeth you talk funny so Treat becomes Tweat.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
I accidentally left off Toothie Roll - I like the art for the crinkled left end of the wrapper.  But the different size letters in the title bother me, and the teeth just don't do it for me.  I'm not sure what "Candy tweat" is supposed to be a gag for.

Here's my ranking, which isn't easy to do, as I appreciate all of them as cool Wackys:

Ork
Alltoads
Human Heads
Hairy Mane
Cracker Drac
Baby Wrath
Witchamacallit
Bog Red
Hairi-Boo
Toothie Roll

ORK and Alltoads seem to be most people's favorite.  The Alltoads art sold for a little over $2K.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
ORK and Alltoads seem to be most people's favorite.  The Alltoads art sold for a little over $2K.

I really only know the artists involved with this set through the Wacky Packages world (and GPK) but it appears to me from the small amount I have seen on ebay and references on other web sites that Kirscht may have a broader following than some of the other artists. I could easily be wrong on this, but I would speculate that due to his other Halloween-like artwork (non Wacky) that his Wacky artwork (painting and sketches) seem to go for higher amounts an action.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
I really only know the artists involved with this set through the Wacky Packages world (and GPK) but it appears to me from the small amount I have seen on ebay and references on other web sites that Kirscht may have a broader following than some of the other artists. I could easily be wrong on this, but I would speculate that due to his other Halloween-like artwork (non Wacky) that his Wacky artwork (painting and sketches) seem to go for higher amounts an action.

He does great Halloween-ish stuff!  I love that my Alltoads sketch card includes the two jack-o-lanterns.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!

Matthew is indeed a great artist and his wacky paintings are consistently fan favorites (I think I'm his biggest fan)! As far as followings go, there's no doubt he's hugely popular, especially around Halloween! But in fairness to the other artists, I'd like to suggest that "broader following" might be better substituted with "different following". Guys like Engstrom, Lynch, Simko, Smokin' Joe and Zeleznik tend to lean toward commercial art and have their own kind of following. I view Matthew, Pat Chaimuang (and others) more as "fine artists", which seems to attract a different audience. That said, they're all extremely successful at what they do and come together well when we mix them together in the wacky equation!

On a completely separate note, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope everyone's enjoying collecting the postcards, erasers and other wacky treats!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:55:23 AM by koduck »

Offline Monsterettes

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope everyone's enjoying collecting the postcards, erasers and other wacky treats!
I'm enjoying immensely -- thank you so much Neil for making this a truly wacky Halloween!!   >:D

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
Indeed, thanks for all you do Neil! Definitely making Wackys fun!  :great:

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch

Matthew is indeed a great artist and his wacky paintings are consistently fan favorites (I think I'm his biggest fan)! As far as followings go, there's no doubt he's hugely popular, especially around Halloween! But in fairness to the other artists, I'd like to suggest that "broader following" might be better substituted with "different following". Guys like Engstrom, Lynch, Simko, Smokin' Joe and Zeleznik tend to lean toward commercial art and have their own kind of following. I view Matthew, Pat Chaimuang (and others) more as "fine artists", which seems to attract a different audience. That said, they're all extremely successful at what they do and come together well when we mix them together in the wacky equation!

On a completely separate note, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope everyone's enjoying collecting the postcards, erasers and other wacky treats!

Well put. As someone who collects all kinds of parody items, the thing that has always kept Wackys a head above the other offerings, in my opinion, is the artwork. There is certainly a great stable of artist involved in Wackys these days. I have seen sketch cards from other series, some great and some so so, but you can tell from the enthusiasm the  Wacky cards and sketches are met with that we all enjoy the humor and artistry that has gone into recent sets. The variety of styles we are currently seeing is really enjoyable.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:44:27 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)