Author Topic: WACKY POSTCARDS HALLOWEEN RELEASE  (Read 110080 times)

Offline FourRoses

Re: WACKY POSTCARDS HALLOWEEN RELEASE
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »
Why aren't you saying the same thing about Target or Walmart? They sure make a cold buck off the majority of Wacky products. You're not even talking about a guy who scored 50 sets. You're talking about anybody who sells one complete unopened set. Is this some weird working class ethic that implies you must sweat for your earnings? What business is it of yours what others do with their "fair share"?

The term "fair share" defines the maximum number of sets Topps allows a customer to purchase. A sort of fairness doctrine determined by plain old people like you and me. Yet it's held up by some collectors as federal law handed down by the wisest ethical scholars. It used to be 5 sets max. Now it's 3. If 5 sets was "fair and ethical" before then why isn't it fair and ethical now? If one bases his ethical codes on what a money grubbing corporation tells them to then one belongs in a field eating grass.

Unless I'm living in the dark neither Walmart or Target sell postcard sets. In other words, a set L-O-W in quantity and not relatively easy to acquire. Both of these stores sell cards and erasers readily available. My window and chances of obtaining what they sell is not minimal.

As someone who doesn't circumvent the system and someone who collects for enjoyment rather then profit, you better believe it is my place. Not many people enjoy scalpers because that's exactly what some of these people are doing.

You are placing far too much importance on the limits instituted by Topps. The principal is the heart of the matter. Why do you think the sale happened late on a Friday night instead of an afternoon sale like we are accustomed to seeing?

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
Come the Revolution, ALL packaging will be Wacky!  http://observatory.designobserver.com/entry.html?entry=4267

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »
I missed out on one of the last postcard sets by less than 10 minutes, meanwhile I come to find out that at least 2 different people bought 25 or more sets. I was not happy to say the least and now have a major problem with the guys trying to buy up as many of these sets as possible. If the scalpers weren't thwarted this time I really hope the entire announcement process can be moved underground via emails, phone calls and texting.

How do you know for sure at least two people got 25 sets?  And if you know, how did they come to get so many sets?  This happened so fast it seems that there was no way anyone could get a bunch of people organized to buy them literally in the middle of the night.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
Whether you are for or against the "occupy" group you really need to read this great book. It certainly isn't light reading but will really open your eyes to many things by looking at not only the "intent" but the actual "effects of those intents" when it comes to the economy as a whole.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economics-4th-Ed-Economy/dp/0465022529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318859496&sr=8-1

On the related economic topic of these "scalpers": You guys do realize that you have created them don't you? If the collectors of Wacky's refused to pay more than $20 for any sketch card then those guys wouldn't have any reason to want to buy as many sets as they could. It's the consumer who dictates what the price of a commodity is not the seller. The price is only set when someone actually pays for it. I have seen a bunch of you on here bitching about the high prices while you are forking over the cash. You ultimately decide. Don't bitch when you set the very prices you are bitching about. Besides, these people are not breaking any rules. It clearly states that only 3 are sold to a shipping address and that is what is happening. It just means that guy has to work a little harder to get more sets but they are not breaking any rules.
Great point.

care to provide an executive summary of the book?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
No. My point was that I couldn't see much of a difference between soliciting others for extra sets immediately via the forum and having a friend or relative buy extra sets for you.

I thought about having a friend buy extra sets so I would have true extras to sell to those who missed out, at the original cost plus the minor extra shipping. I remember the feeling of missing out (several times) and I thought this might be a nice thing to do, but I didn't because I felt it would violate the unspoken rule here that buying more than the max number of sets was somehow unfair to others, and I didn't want to risk being blacklisted by Topps by doing this.

And that is why I felt like soliciting others for extra sets immediately didn't seem much different than having friend or relatives buy 'em.
After what period of time does buying surplus sets from others collectors go from uncool to ok?  Your rule is far too abritrary.  I rarely open all of the packs I obtain so I am sitting on several previous release unopened packs.  It is my perrogative to do what I want with my packs within the three pack limit.  I think you have gone to far in now trying to govern what people do with their three packs and equating that to people who purposely create a chain so they can get 25 packs.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline exorcist

« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
hey topps,
the next time i go to Sri Lanka, I'm gonna take a detour to Calcutta, India for a day.  Im gonna take a stack of 660 one dollar bills, walk into the middle of the slums and throw it up in the air and watch the people kill themselves for it.  I'm betting there will be less complaining and whining there than on this forum.  Sorry my Tourette's did it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
How do you know for sure at least two people got 25 sets?  And if you know, how did they come to get so many sets?  This happened so fast it seems that there was no way anyone could get a bunch of people organized to buy them literally in the middle of the night.

Your right, it wasn't 25 sets.........it was 75 sets.  I have first-hand knowledge that a buyer was able to network in the neighborhood of 75 sets in the last series.  I'm not talking about this last release on Friday.  I'm talking about series 7.  I have good reason to believe another buyer also got between 25-35 sets for the same series, so that's at least 100 sets bought by 2 people when that amount should be enough for 33 people.  That's 31 people that potentially couldn't get a set.  That is what this issue is mainly about.  They are abusing the system with one goal in mind........money, and at the expense of others. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
The overall theme of the book is that "economics is the study of the use of scarce resources which have alternative uses".

Quoted from the book:

"In other words, economics studies the consequences of decisions that are made about the use of land, labor, capital and other resources that go into producing the volume of output which determines a country's standard of living."

If you have the slightest interest in increasing your knowledge about how the economy really works I highly recommend the book. Very eye-opening on the intent of economic policies and the real results of those same policies. For example: He covers in great detail "rent control" which is supposed to help the poor but in reality has the complete opposite effect.  

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
I just received my shipping notification. Can't wait to see these. Probably be a week though since I'm on the west coast.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
I just received my shipping notification. Can't wait to see these. Probably be a week though since I'm on the west coast.

I got mine notification today as well and I often get mine the next day (sorry, I just realized that could be taken as rubbing your nose in it which was not my intention!)  Nothing like opening that first envelope and seeing everything for the first time. 

I believe this is the 9th series and counting, and we owe Neil a thanks for the work he puts into these sets!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »

I believe this is the 9th series and counting, and we owe Neil a thanks for the work he puts into these sets!

We're actually on number 10, if you can believe it (7 regular releases and 3 Halloween)!

At this rate, next year's Halloween set could be number 13! Now, that would be spooky!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #361 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
(sorry, I just realized that could be taken as rubbing your nose in it which was not my intention!) 

lol, not at all.... I'm used to having to sometimes wait a little longer.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #362 on: October 17, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
We're actually on number 10, if you can believe it (7 regular releases and 3 Halloween)!

At this rate, next year's Halloween set could be number 13! Now, that would be spooky!

Any chance Topps could create a binder specifically for Halloween Wacky Postcards?  This seems to be an ongoing effort, and my one regular postcard binder is now too full to add any more, so I'd love to have one made specifically for the 3 sets already produced.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
Any chance Topps could create a binder specifically for Halloween Wacky Postcards?  This seems to be an ongoing effort, and my one regular postcard binder is now too full to add any more, so I'd love to have one made specifically for the 3 sets already produced.

Now that's a grrrrreat idea!!! I'll definitely mention it to them!

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #364 on: October 17, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
I thought this was only the 2nd set of Halloween Postcards?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #365 on: October 17, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »

Are you counting the 3 Halloween sketch cards you did in very limited quantity in 2009?  I wasn't counting that one.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
Are you counting the 3 Halloween sketch cards you did in very limited quantity in 2009?  I wasn't counting that one.

No, i think he means the one with Bots, And Fright Pie ect. you know, tricky treat

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
Are you counting the 3 Halloween sketch cards you did in very limited quantity in 2009?  I wasn't counting that one.

Yeah, I always count that one as the first (you never forget your first!), although I admit, it is a bit different from the rest. I guess I base it on the fact that it included the same basic elements (postcard, sketch cards, and specialty cards) and introduced the "Wacky Halloween" logo.

The biggest difference (IMO) was the introduction of the souvenir wrapper in last year's set.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:48:27 PM by koduck »

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »

Your right, it wasn't 25 sets.........it was 75 sets.  I have first-hand knowledge that a buyer was able to network in the neighborhood of 75 sets in the last series.  I'm not talking about this last release on Friday.  I'm talking about series 7.  I have good reason to believe another buyer also got between 25-35 sets for the same series, so that's at least 100 sets bought by 2 people when that amount should be enough for 33 people.  That's 31 people that potentially couldn't get a set.  That is what this issue is mainly about.  They are abusing the system with one goal in mind........money, and at the expense of others. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I only has 2nd hand knowledge of the guy with 75 sets but I do know another seller had many bio sets up on ebay suggesting he purchased at least 25 sets.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #369 on: October 17, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
Yeah, I always count that one as the first (you never forget your first!), although I admit, it is a bit different from the rest. I guess I base it on the fact that it included the same basic elements (postcard, sketch cards, and specialty cards) and introduced the "Wacky Halloween" logo.

The biggest difference (IMO) was the introduction of the souvenir wrapper in last year's set.

In the cover sheets I do for each series (use in my binder books) I showed that the Halloween postcard and H1-H3 were actually released with the Series 4 envelopes, so I didn't count them with the three 2009 sketch titles.  It doesn't really matter though.  The bottom-line is that there's been a bunch of them.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #370 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
In the cover sheets I do for each series (use in my binder books) I showed that the Halloween postcard and H1-H3 were actually released with the Series 4 envelopes, so I didn't count them with the three 2009 sketch titles.  It doesn't really matter though.  The bottom-line is that there's been a bunch of them.

Good point! I'm glad you're keeping track of this stuff and not me!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:41:08 PM by koduck »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #371 on: October 17, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I only has 2nd hand knowledge of the guy with 75 sets but I do know another seller had many bio sets up on ebay suggesting he purchased at least 25 sets.

If this latest postcard release turns out to be a repeat of the hoarding/flipping trend, I'm going to recommend that Topps raise their price of future postcard sets. They may not agree with my opinion, but I think it's the only reasonable solution to the problem.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #372 on: October 17, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
If this latest postcard release turns out to be a repeat of the hoarding/flipping trend, I'm going to recommend that Topps raise their price of future postcard sets. They may not agree with my opinion, but I think it's the only reasonable solution to the problem.
That would just make the "Flippers" more money because of supply and demand and percieved value

Offline bandaches

« Reply #373 on: October 17, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »

Why not call these people out?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #374 on: October 17, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »
The overall theme of the book is that "economics is the study of the use of scarce resources which have alternative uses".

Quoted from the book:

"In other words, economics studies the consequences of decisions that are made about the use of land, labor, capital and other resources that go into producing the volume of output which determines a country's standard of living."

If you have the slightest interest in increasing your knowledge about how the economy really works I highly recommend the book. Very eye-opening on the intent of economic policies and the real results of those same policies. For example: He covers in great detail "rent control" which is supposed to help the poor but in reality has the complete opposite effect.  
Does it explain why people "invest" in gold over more useful commodities such as land and oil?

Offline exorcist

« Reply #375 on: October 17, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
That would just make the "Flippers" more money because of supply and demand and percieved value

And then Topps should rightfully supply that demand and regain control over the flippers.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #376 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »
I'm thinking Topps isn't spending too much time analyzing buyer data. They are so happy that these sell out this fast. They are already on to the next great thing.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »

Errr.... is that really a good solution?  Charge all collectors more from the outset?   I do see a logic to the idea, but ouch... that solution hurts. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #378 on: October 17, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »

Let me think about this a bit. 

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #379 on: October 17, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »
Raising the prices on future releases won't do much to combat the hoarding/scalping. Maybe it's time Topps does something like Mattel does with their online toys by offering a subscription. Upfront you pay the price of one figure and this guarantees you receiving ONE of each new figure. You want more, you go online like everyone else and battle it out. The $20.00 you spent upfront also gives you a unique figure only available to subscribers.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #380 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
Come the Revolution, ALL packaging will be Wacky!  http://observatory.designobserver.com/entry.html?entry=4267

Perfectly timed and placed post Jay !!! Capitalizm's knockoff's on the crusty global scale.  :great:
That'll learn ya's.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #381 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »

We can stone them in a public forum with the new Wacky Erasers.  ;D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Kook

« Reply #382 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »
Raising the prices on future releases won't do much to combat the hoarding/scalping. Maybe it's time Topps does something like Mattel does with their online toys by offering a subscription. Upfront you pay the price of one figure and this guarantees you receiving ONE of each new figure. You want more, you go online like everyone else and battle it out. The $20.00 you spent upfront also gives you a unique figure only available to subscribers.

This idea sounds good to me! I don't think you can really engineer the "human" out of this process without substantially changing it.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #383 on: October 17, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
This idea sounds good to me! I don't think you can really engineer the "human" out of this process without substantially changing it.

I don't know, I think Topps should post the postcard sets without saying a word, just let it sell out when it sells out. Meanwhile Neil can contact 3 people here letting them know the release time and date and we can have a network set up that excludes the scalpers. I don't see this as difficult at all.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #384 on: October 17, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Shouldn't the bread and butter of this hobby be the ones who hopefully get these sets and not those who do nothing to keep the hobby alive and well? Every effort should be made so these don't end up in the wrong hands.

anything