Author Topic: WACKY POSTCARDS HALLOWEEN RELEASE  (Read 110094 times)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
Re: WACKY POSTCARDS HALLOWEEN RELEASE
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
How do others like the night releases? I, for one, would rather have them like this most recent one was rather than trying to steal  time away at work during the day and feel guilty (ha!) about using the Internet for personal reasons. 

Love the night releases coupled with the buddy system :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
Why do you like Wacky's?

I don't think political views have any place on a Wacky forum. It just gets people in trouble.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »

Me too, and had we known the correct time zone it would have been quick and painless.... but I thought last night's suspense and confusion was actually kinda fun and it was cool when pressing F5 finally changed the Topps page.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:27 PM »
I don't think political views have any place on a Wacky forum. It just gets people in trouble.

But technology views (iPad - king of all tablets) are OK?  ;)

That's why we have the non-Wacky areas.

Offline exorcist

« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2011, 11:06:26 PM »
I bought one
 halloween set with the money  I had in paypal and 2 sets with my debit.  Since they were two seperate transactions, I got charged shipping twice.  Does anyone think if I call topps on monday and explain, they will refund one of the shipping charges?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #320 on: October 15, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
But technology views (iPad - king of all tablets) are OK?  ;)

That's why we have the non-Wacky areas.

You the man! No doubt!

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #321 on: October 16, 2011, 01:34:19 AM »

I agree!  What the HELL do the Wall Street protesters, which I support, or any other political ideology have to do with collecting Wackys???  Especially the postcards?

Get A Life!!!

I am really looking forward to getting my 3 postcard sets, as Neil and company did a great job on them based on the ad on ShopTopps.com.  I do have one question though.  Why 660 sets instead of 666 Sets????  That would have been cool!  Maybe next year?

Great Job!!!!!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: October 16, 2011, 03:06:14 AM »

Me too!  I can always arrange to be home at a computer at night, whereas being able to take a day off from work depends on the specific day.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:42:27 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #323 on: October 16, 2011, 06:15:18 AM »
Actually your assumption is incorrect. I am selling one of the sets and my twin brother is selling the other. We both write Wacky concepts for Topps including 3 of the 8 featured in this Halloween series. As far as describing the asking price as "outlandish", I respectfully disagree. The auctions are BIN or Best Offer If they sell at the BIN price then that's the fair market rate at the time....if they sell for less through a Best Offer then that's what they're worth. If they don't sell at all then we'll enjoy opening the packs ourselves. I see that as pretty fair. I also find it funny that many folks on this forum "flip" Wackys on a regular basis then have the nerve to call others out for the exact same behavior. Why is it anyone's business what someone does with the extra allotted packs they purchase? Afterall, nobody is being forced to spend the $179 through a BIN.

Well said!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #324 on: October 16, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
How do others like the night releases? I, for one, would rather have them like this most recent one was rather than trying to steal  time away at work during the day and feel guilty (ha!) about using the Internet for personal reasons. 
I liked it especially if the 75 set hoarders got shut out.  Definitely nice not worrrying about being in a meeting at work and not being able to order for a couple of hours.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
Thought the night release was great! Almost missing out amidst the confusion was a bit nerve-racking, but I'd do it again.

Buddy system worked pretty well imo, considering it was the first time. Think that'll help on the next PC release for sure.

Now we just have to wait for UPS... And I thought "4 to 6 weeks" as a kid was rough...

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »

I think the major thrust behind forum members here with their OCD of the Halloween PC's is the people (ie "scum suckers") that go around the 3 limit rule and have their entire family tree buy 80 sets then flip them on the 'bay' for good profit...we're after them - lynch'em I say!!! >:D >:D

The irritation and annoyance goes beyond those who circumvent the limits. I believe it also stems from those people who give the impression of being collectors who want these cards for the enjoyment but turn around and run to Ebay moments after their sets arrive in the mail.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #327 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
The irritation and annoyance goes beyond those who circumvent the limits. I believe it also stems from those people who give the impression of being collectors who want these cards for the enjoyment but turn around and run to Ebay moments after their sets arrive in the mail.
This is driven by sketch mania otherwise there is little reason to need more than one pack.  So people kill their their packs and then sell off he obvious dupes in sets, bonus cards and chase cards.  Why is selling off this surplus bad?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
...Wall Street protesters, which I support...

You just contributed to the very discussion which you chastised others for doing  ;)

I like to think we're all friends here, brought together by Wackys (and other hobbies). So the non-Wacky areas let us chat about current events, including politics, among said friends.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »
You the man! No doubt!

Not to belabor this off-topic discussion, but I feel compelled to point out that Wackys were originally conceived as a way to take a shot at big companies who make questionable claims about their products and their actual value to an average consumer.  So creating artwork that was in many ways counter-culture and "underground" back in the 60's was an inherently political statement.

Now I don't peronally see this forum as the right place to debate the merits of the Occupy movement, as it's just too far removed from what we come here to read and discuss.  But I do think it's worth noting that these cards were born out of a mindset of civic disobedience, and anyone who's collecting them probably has something of a renegade spirit that is at the heart of political dissent.  That's why I (and a couple of others) find it odd that someone who collects them is on here bashing the Occupy Wallstreet people.  It just doesn't add up.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
Not to belabor this off-topic discussion, but I feel compelled to point out that Wackys were originally conceived as a way to take a shot at big companies who make questionable claims about their products and their actual value to an average consumer.  So creating artwork that was in many ways counter-culture and "underground" back in the 60's was an inherently political statement.

Now I don't peronally see this forum as the right place to debate the merits of the Occupy movement, as it's just too far removed from what we come here to read and discuss.  But I do think it's worth noting that these cards were born out of a mindset of civic disobedience, and anyone who's collecting them probably has something of a renegade spirit that is at the heart of political dissent.  That's why I (and a couple of others) find it odd that someone who collects them is on here bashing the Occupy Wallstreet people.  It just doesn't add up.

Well said. Another lucid thought on the forum, we're on a roll!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »
Well said. Another lucid thought on the forum, we're on a roll!

All that late night Wacky ordering tension has clicked the lucidity button ON !

Luckily I did not miss ordering this set and it was fortunate that I was able to catch it because a lot of the time I am playing out on Friday's or Saturday's either Solo or in my band. Night time release for these is great, but I'd rather it be on a Monday, Tues, Weds, or Thursday Night! :great:
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #332 on: October 16, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »
...that those people would tell two friends, then those people would tell two friends, and so on, and so on...

Just like Nice & Greasy! :]
Am I remembering the product for the commercial correctly?
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

WOW, nicely stated!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
Couldn't disagree more with your attitude.
Couldn't agree more with Gurgle's disagreement of your attitude. 

Online Joe G.

« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Well I just want to post a big THANK YOU to Tim Frick the crypto-man.  He sent out an email at 8:04 pm Friday that the Halloween Postcards were on sale.  Well Friday was an insane day at work and although I'll usually check the forum twice a day on my iphone I never got near it.  You can imagine how relieved I was when my wife called to say she had seen Tim's email and bought us our 3 sets.  So thanks Tim for the heads up.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »

Here!  Here!   Both are winners in my opinion.  Especially the buddy system!!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
Not to belabor this off-topic discussion, but I feel compelled to point out that Wackys were originally conceived as a way to take a shot at big companies who make questionable claims about their products and their actual value to an average consumer.  So creating artwork that was in many ways counter-culture and "underground" back in the 60's was an inherently political statement.

Weren't they originally conceived as novelty sticker parodies of grocery items, for kids?

But I do get your point.  It's just that sometimes, a cigar IS just a cigar.

So much of this (and some of the Wacky creators) came from Mad magazine, where the political satire seemed more clearly evident...at least to me.  :-)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:43:40 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #338 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
This is driven by sketch mania otherwise there is little reason to need more than one pack.  So people kill their their packs and then sell off he obvious dupes in sets, bonus cards and chase cards.  Why is selling off this surplus bad?

This is about postcards sets and not cards from a readily available series nor is it about those who sell or trade excess bio cards and the like. What this focuses on are those who have currently or will (in the next 2 days or so) bombard Ebay with unopened sets because they care not of what's inside but of the dollar bill. Actions like this would tick me off even more if I was one of the unlucky who didn't land a set this past Friday night through Saturday morning.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
This is about postcards sets and not cards from a readily available series nor is it about those who sell or trade excess bio cards and the like. What this focuses on are those who have currently or will (in the next 2 days or so) bombard Ebay with unopened sets because they care not of what's inside but of the dollar bill. Actions like this would tick me off even more if I was one of the unlucky who didn't land a set this past Friday night through Saturday morning.

Gotcha, agreed!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »

Why aren't you saying the same thing about Target or Walmart? They sure make a cold buck off the majority of Wacky products. You're not even talking about a guy who scored 50 sets. You're talking about anybody who sells one complete unopened set. Is this some weird working class ethic that implies you must sweat for your earnings? What business is it of yours what others do with their "fair share"?

The term "fair share" defines the maximum number of sets Topps allows a customer to purchase. A sort of fairness doctrine determined by plain old people like you and me. Yet it's held up by some collectors as federal law handed down by the wisest ethical scholars. It used to be 5 sets max. Now it's 3. If 5 sets was "fair and ethical" before then why isn't it fair and ethical now? If one bases his ethical codes on what a money grubbing corporation tells them to then one belongs in a field eating grass.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Why aren't you saying the same thing about Target or Walmart? They sure make a cold buck off the majority of Wacky products. You're not even talking about a guy who scored 50 sets. You're talking about anybody who sells one complete unopened set. Is this some weird working class ethic that implies you must sweat for your earnings? What business is it of yours what others do with their "fair share"?

The term "fair share" defines the maximum number of sets Topps allows a customer to purchase. A sort of fairness doctrine determined by plain old people like you and me. Yet it's held up by some collectors as federal law handed down by the wisest ethical scholars. It used to be 5 sets max. Now it's 3. If 5 sets was "fair and ethical" before then why isn't it fair and ethical now? If one bases his ethical codes on what a money grubbing corporation tells them to then one belongs in a field eating grass.

I think it just gets him fired up enough to post, when he perceives people only buying to profit, and that activity inadvertently causing passionate hobbyists and forum members to miss out.  And, since this forum community is about our shared passion for a hobby (not a business model) he voices his displeasure.  

I might have missed what you're responding to specifically, with this business about about fairness and ethics, but I just think he was pissed off because it looked to him like pure profiteers were throwing a wrench into the fun of hobbyists, some of which are his fellow forum members. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »

I was thinking at first that's a bit of a stretch, from questionable product advertising to politics. However now that I think about it, most politicians promise a lot and rarely deliver... So maybe you're on to something.

That's why I (and a couple of others) find it odd that someone who collects them is on here bashing the Occupy Wallstreet people.  It just doesn't add up.

Maybe he sees the Occupy Wallstreet for what it really is, which is nothing more than a media distraction from Solargate, Weaponsgate, Unclegate, etc, etc...

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
Agree with you totally.  Referring to people who are calling out for change, who are tired of corporate welfare and tired of politicans passing laws that they are exempt, who Arne tired of the money putting their puppet politicians in office as clowns is quite ignorant statement.

I'm in total agreement with you.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »

I missed out on one of the last postcard sets by less than 10 minutes, meanwhile I come to find out that at least 2 different people bought 25 or more sets. I was not happy to say the least and now have a major problem with the guys trying to buy up as many of these sets as possible. If the scalpers weren't thwarted this time I really hope the entire announcement process can be moved underground via emails, phone calls and texting.

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #345 on: October 17, 2011, 07:05:22 AM »
Whether you are for or against the "occupy" group you really need to read this great book. It certainly isn't light reading but will really open your eyes to many things by looking at not only the "intent" but the actual "effects of those intents" when it comes to the economy as a whole.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economics-4th-Ed-Economy/dp/0465022529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318859496&sr=8-1

On the related economic topic of these "scalpers": You guys do realize that you have created them don't you? If the collectors of Wacky's refused to pay more than $20 for any sketch card then those guys wouldn't have any reason to want to buy as many sets as they could. It's the consumer who dictates what the price of a commodity is not the seller. The price is only set when someone actually pays for it. I have seen a bunch of you on here bitching about the high prices while you are forking over the cash. You ultimately decide. Don't bitch when you set the very prices you are bitching about. Besides, these people are not breaking any rules. It clearly states that only 3 are sold to a shipping address and that is what is happening. It just means that guy has to work a little harder to get more sets but they are not breaking any rules.

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2011, 07:21:05 AM »
Another thing to think about. If only the collectors bought the sets and they all kept the sketches then there would be none to sell so nobody would have a shot at any additional sketches. Plus when a bunch of sets get busted you actually get to choose the sketch you actually like instead of just getting the luck of the draw. You might really want to think about what you are actually "wishing for".   

Offline Porkie

« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »
I think the major gripe most people have is with a handful of people who were buying 25+ of these limited edition sets solely for the purpose of reselling, while serious collectors were unable to buy any because they ran out. i.e. it's not the selling of them that is the problem, it's the greed involved with those who were hoarding and flipping.

Comes back to a famous saying that's been somewhat distorted over the years: it's not that money is the root of all evil, it's the love of money that's the root of all evil. Greed. Pure and simple.

Unfortunately it seems greed is back in fashion now and seems to be the major driving force behind many people's actions over the past 20 years or so. It's always been around, but we are seriously reaping the rewards lately.

BTW, the "rule" is "maximum 3 sets per household", not just "per shipping address". It's a pretty loose term, but the intent is pretty obvious to limit the sets to any one person or entity. You can always get around everything with semantics (that's how the world manipulates us best).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:51:46 AM by Porkie »

Offline exorcist

« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
How it that any different from having friends and family buy extra sets? :) I'm not intentionally being an ass here, but I'd love to buy more than 3 sets as I'm sure would many others. ;D

What we should do is do some kind of "Wacky Forum Overflow Pool" where anyone buying the max limit from Topps can put any unopened extras they don't really want into the pool. Then everyone who wants to buy from the pool puts their names in and we draw out winners like a lottery. That might thwart the flippers a little at least. ;)

I grabbed a couple of those Wacky Erasers 2 boxes to help with the combined shipping. Man, I really dislike shipping costs!
i purchased my three sets from topps.  what if I want to aquire a 4th and 5th set from ebay.  R we just limited to 3 and thats it? Is it only acceptable to get your sets beyond your initial three if you pay a hefty premium?

Offline Porkie

« Reply #349 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:01 AM »
i purchased my three sets from topps.  what if I want to aquire a 4th and 5th set from ebay.  R we just limited to 3 and thats it? Is it only acceptable to get your sets beyond your initial three if you pay a hefty premium?

No. My point was that I couldn't see much of a difference between soliciting others for extra sets immediately via the forum and having a friend or relative buy extra sets for you.

I thought about having a friend buy extra sets so I would have true extras to sell to those who missed out, at the original cost plus the minor extra shipping. I remember the feeling of missing out (several times) and I thought this might be a nice thing to do, but I didn't because I felt it would violate the unspoken rule here that buying more than the max number of sets was somehow unfair to others, and I didn't want to risk being blacklisted by Topps by doing this.

And that is why I felt like soliciting others for extra sets immediately didn't seem much different than having friend or relatives buy 'em.

anything