Author Topic: Spam Bot Filtering  (Read 3096 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Spam Bot Filtering
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
I know this is not Wacky related but I put it here so you can all see it.

Jay (wackyman) informed me he thought a recent account could be a spam bot. It turns out he was right, not that I had any doubt :D
Anyway, I installed a spam bot user search on the forum and found there were actually 2 spam bot user names. I have banned those accounts.

I just want you to be aware of this if you get a message you have been banned it could be a mistake I made and you are actually not banned. I need to run the search and then verify if it's a real user or not so if I check a wrong button then you could get banned by accident.
Just let me know if that happens and I will get you back online in no time.

Offline wackyman

• ^ GOD is spelled wrong, should say DEVIL ^
    • World Of Wackies
Re: Spam Bot Filtering
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:05:25 AM »
I know this is not Wacky related but I put it here so you can all see it.

Jay (wackyman) informed me he thought a recent account could be a spam bot. It turns out he was right, not that I had any doubt :D
Anyway, I installed a spam bot user search on the forum and found there were actually 2 spam bot user names. I have banned those accounts.

I just want you to be aware of this if you get a message you have been banned it could be a mistake I made and you are actually not banned. I need to run the search and then verify if it's a real user or not so if I check a wrong button then you could get banned by accident.
Just let me know if that happens and I will get you back online in no time.

Let me also add, MOST of you will not even have a prob with this bot search,  (Unless you lead a nasty double spamming life lol)  The search uses a list of 'known' ip's and emails, and in some cases usernames.   Since most of you guys all use names or cards, you'll be safe :)

I'm pretty trained to spot these names myself,  been doing the forum thing for WAY TOO LONG lol

Curious, was the other spam bot a "frank" or something like that,  I spotted that one a day or so ago and I thought.... hmmmm sounds like a bot lol

-Jay-

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
Let me also add, MOST of you will not even have a prob with this bot search,  (Unless you lead a nasty double spamming life lol)  The search uses a list of 'known' ip's and emails, and in some cases usernames.   Since most of you guys all use names or cards, you'll be safe :)

I'm pretty trained to spot these names myself,  been doing the forum thing for WAY TOO LONG lol

Curious, was the other spam bot a "frank" or something like that,  I spotted that one a day or so ago and I thought.... hmmmm sounds like a bot lol

-Jay-

optollaBasT      randysaxton32@gmail.com  94.142.130.126

Offline wackyman

• ^ GOD is spelled wrong, should say DEVIL ^
    • World Of Wackies
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
optollaBasT      randysaxton32@gmail.com  94.142.130.126

ahh,  I missed that one, 

BUT funny enough I KNOW that email addy,  It's on three of my banned lists,   I run a forum for work (the 3D stuff) and one of my mods sent me that email about 4 days ago I think it was,  I had to laugh cause I went to school with a Randall Sexton I had to do a little double take when I saw the email lol

-Jay-

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
Since I installed the spam bot filter we have been spam free. It was a crazy rush of spam users trying to get in but within about 4 weeks it nailed them all. I am just surprised that in the last 4 weeks there hasn't been any. They must all be sent out at the same time.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:41:21 AM »
Since I installed the spam bot filter we have been spam free. It was a crazy rush of spam users trying to get in but within about 4 weeks it nailed them all. I am just surprised that in the last 4 weeks there hasn't been any. They must all be sent out at the same time.
You did good  you marked it good  !!!!!!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL