Author Topic: Original Wacky Products images  (Read 128476 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Original Wacky Products images
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »
While searching for the evolution of the Green Giant, I found this label evolution...

Cool!  Well, that second label there seems to be similar to the Rusty original product image and it's largely complete.

The 1960 scarf-wearing Green Giant is a bit of a puzzle, because I know that the 1955 version was used well into the 1960's.  But I think back then they allowed some branding to carry on long after updates in different areas. 

I have a printer sample from 1962 of a Green Giant frozen offering, so that 1960 date must be accurate - but I still think that they may have not updated the canned goods version of the mascot until many years later. 

Green Giant - Italian Green Beans frozen in Butter Sauce - package box - Marathon printer sample - 1962
by Jason, on Flickr

And here's the Green Giant frozen mascot version from a decade later - he finally got boots!:

Green Giant - Casserole - Broccoli Amandine box - 1970's
by Jason, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:55:56 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
I remember that red scarfed version of the green giant well, and always wondered why it was always up horizontally!
Any speculations Wacky Forum folks?  >:D
Alex

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
I remember that red scarfed version of the green giant well, and always wondered why it was always up horizontally!
Alex

That's an interesting question!    I never speculate and had to look it up on Al Gore's inter-web

(And we've lost our Spoiler function . . .)

In 1961, the Green Giant Company introduced frozen vegetables and the
Jolly Green Giant got a red scarf to keep him warm from the freezing winds,
and his arms were crossed to help with any shivering.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »
Alex

Maybe the wind is blowing it?

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Alex

Just excited to be a spokesman.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online quas

« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
Alex

Must be some sort of breeze from peas.....   :P
Marc

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »
That's an interesting question!    I never speculate and had to look it up on Al Gore's inter-web

(And we've lost our Spoiler function . . .)

In 1961, the Green Giant Company introduced frozen vegetables and the
Jolly Green Giant got a red scarf to keep him warm from the freezing winds,
and his arms were crossed to help with any shivering.

Duh...Well that makes sense! He's in the frozen food section so needs to keep those jolly green pecs warm.....
A

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
Got a couple new items to add to the original product archive.

First up is a label from Hostess Filled Cup Cakes.  This would have been found on the cellophane wrapper around a two-pack of the snack cakes. 

Hostess - Filled Cup Cakes - 12-cent _3oz snack cake cellophane package label - 1960's
by Jason, on Flickr

It's not an exact match to the 1st series Hostage, but it's close:

I've also got a can label for Clabber Girl baking powder, which was the basis for the Lost Wacky Clubber Girl from Bill Griffith's 1974-75 lost roughs:

Hulman & Company - Clabber Girl baking powder - 10 oz can label - grocery product packaging - 1960's
by Jason, on Flickr

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
Hostage looks like a pretty exact match to me! Except for the lettering font. But remember, the Shedd's version has this font! Also, "cupcakes" is not red.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:54:34 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
Hostage looks like a pretty exact match to me! Except for the lettering font. But remember, the Shedd's version has this font! Also, "cupcakes" is not red.

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting!!  I did not know that.  I still think it's possible that there is a slightly tweaked version of the original product where "Cup Cakes" was not written as two words and may have been in a red color.  Though perhaps it was an artistically-motivated tweak from the original by Norm?  For now I think we can only speculate.  But I am thrilled to have finally found an era-appropriate Hostess cupcake label at all.   Just got it this week and it was really cool, because I've always wanted one for the Wacky connection, but wasn't sure I'd ever find one. 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
I've also got a can label for Clabber Girl baking powder, which was the basis for the Lost Wacky Clubber Girl from Bill Griffith's 1974-75 lost roughs:
Or this one:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:46:20 PM by bigtomi »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2016, 04:34:50 PM »
Or this one:

Cool!

What is that from?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
Got a couple new items to add to the original product archive.

First up is a label from Hostess Filled Cup Cakes.  This would have been found on the cellophane wrapper around a two-pack of the snack cakes. 

Hostess - Filled Cup Cakes - 12-cent _3oz snack cake cellophane package label - 1960's
by Jason, on Flickr

It's not an exact match to the 1st series Hostage, but it's close:

Hulman & Company - Clabber Girl baking powder - 10 oz can label - grocery product packaging - 1960's
by Jason, on Flickr

Is that Voldemort's head on the back of that woman's silhouette like in the first Harry potter movie?

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
Or this one:

Good old Clabber Girl, made here in Terre Haute, Indiana. The site of the original factory downtown is now a restaurant that features food items made with Clabber Girl. Rooms adjacent to the restaurant area are a museum, but focuses on some street scenes of that era with old wagons, etc. Unfortunately, they don't currently display much old packaging.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Is that Voldemort's head on the back of that woman's silhouette like in the first Harry potter movie?

Hah hah hah... I've seen a second face on that one a few times when looking at it. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:29 PM »
Good old Clabber Girl, made here in Terre Haute, Indiana. The site of the original factory downtown is now a restaurant that features food items made with Clabber Girl. Rooms adjacent to the restaurant area are a museum, but focuses on some street scenes of that era with old wagons, etc. Unfortunately, they don't currently display much old packaging.

That sounds pretty interesting.  Wonder how much old packaging they have? 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »
What is that from?
I found this image online many years back, when I was just beginning my Wacky quest. I was able to determine the site where I got it and, incredibly, it is still active (GLG: Gotta Love Google). Looks like this Charles Barnard only put these images up on the web here. This is all I know.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »
I found this image online many years back, when I was just beginning my Wacky quest. I was able to determine the site where I got it and, incredibly, it is still active (GLG: Gotta Love Google). Looks like this Charles Barnard only put these images up on the web here. This is all I know.

Thanks for that link!  Some of those are pretty good.  Think I like the Krusty Kreme the best.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »
After digging around for a bit, I found a link to them off John Mann's page, along with some others

http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/artwork/index.html

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
After digging around for a bit, I found a link to them off John Mann's page, along with some others

http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/artwork/index.html

Fun to see some of those old ones by David Gross and George Wright.  :-)  Never seen them before. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »
Fun to see some of those old ones by David Gross and George Wright.  :-)  Never seen them before.

Agreed!  Also great to see all those great early gags by Paul Harris!

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2016, 08:50:58 AM »
That sounds pretty interesting.  Wonder how much old packaging they have?

Not a whole lot of label variations on display, but, perhaps they didn't change their packaging much through the years.  We just had lunch there last Friday, so here are a few pictures of what they do have on display. Most items are in glass display cases and it was a sunny day so hard to avoid reflections...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:22:22 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Wow, that's pretty impressive!

Not a whole lot of label variations on display, but, perhaps they didn't change their packaging much through the years.  We just had lunch there last Friday, so here are a few pictures of what they do have on display. Most items are in glass display cases and it was a sunny day so hard to avoid reflections...

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:17 AM »
Wow, that's pretty impressive!

The museum occupies about 4 large rooms and includes a city street mock-up, an old grocery store display, and an old bank vault and teller window, amongst other things. The restaurant is nestled withing the museum rooms. They also have a kitchens area where they offer  cooking lessons in the evenings. They also use the kitchens to produce cooking segments for one of the local television station's news programs.  Terre Haute was also the place that the iconic "hourglass" shaped Coca Cola bottled was first manufactured but, unfortunately,  there is nothing to commemorate that but a point of interest sign where the factory once stood.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Throwback Crest (Crust) Toothpaste now at Target
« Reply #269 on: November 21, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
Digging up this old thread, as I wasn't sure where I should post this, but Target currently has throwback Crest Toothpaste on sale.  Picked one up yesterday.  Kinda fun.  The actual tube even sports the graphics (though not the old-school topper). 

Here's a pic:

Online mikecho

Re: Throwback Crest (Crust) Toothpaste now at Target
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
Digging up this old thread, as I wasn't sure where I should post this, but Target currently has throwback Crest Toothpaste on sale.  Picked one up yesterday.  Kinda fun.  The actual tube even sports the graphics (though not the old-school topper). 

Here's a pic:

I see they have throwback regular Crest. Did you see if they had throwback mint Crest, too, since those were the two original flavors?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2020, 05:12:13 PM »
I see they have throwback regular Crest. Did you see if they had throwback mint Crest, too, since those were the two original flavors?

They did not.  But, I don't think that's an accurate statement.  I believe "Mint Crest" came many years into the Crest brand's lifespan.  I believe Mint was introduced in the later 1960's, at least a decade after the brand had launched. 

Online quas

« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »
They did not.  But, I don't think that's an accurate statement.  I believe "Mint Crest" came many years into the Crest brand's lifespan.  I believe Mint was introduced in the later 1960's, at least a decade after the brand had launched.

Agree.  I was there!
Marc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »

Here's a pic:

Awesome Jason, thanks for the tip.  I’ll buy a bunch of these if my Target has them.  I use the basic Crest anyway, and Target has some of the lowest regular prices for toothpaste, so it’s win-win.  Love the simplicity of the design, it’s so 60’s/70’s.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2020, 06:09:22 AM »

Hey Jason. Can you recommend any decent vintage packaging coffee table books? I can't believe there isn't that many out there on the subject.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2020, 08:47:16 AM »
Hey Jason. Can you recommend any decent vintage packaging coffee table books? I can't believe there isn't that many out there on the subject.

There's not really such a thing, broadly speaking. There's vintage ad books, certainly, like the Taschen books.  But I'd say the closest thing to a "vintage packaging book" might be Krazy Kids Food by my old buddy Dan Goodsell and Steve Roden. 

It's a category of pop culture and ephemera that, even now, remains largely unexplored and undocumented, though I've put a lot of effort into it over the past 15 years. 

And though they were contemporary at the time of their publication, there are "Packaging Design" books, covering award winning and breakthrough packaging innovations from the years they were published.  I have a couple of those from the 1970's/1980's era.   

Online mikecho

« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
Agree.  I was there!
So was I! I remember Mint Crest and used it - and I was born in 1963. I didn't even know that it was the late 1960s when it came out; I just knew it was there and I liked it.

In fact, remember the toothpaste the dentist used to clean your teeth when you had a dental appointment? I kind of remember there being mint and cinnamon flavors. Later, they added bubble gum.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »
So was I! I remember Mint Crest and used it - and I was born in 1963. I didn't even know that it was the late 1960s when it came out; I just knew it was there and I liked it.

In fact, remember the toothpaste the dentist used to clean your teeth when you had a dental appointment? I kind of remember there being mint and cinnamon flavors. Later, they added bubble gum.

I just remember those weird tablets that they gave us that stuck to and reddened up the plaque on our teeth. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »

I just remember those weird tablets that they gave us that stuck to and reddened up the plaque on our teeth.

Called "plaque disclosing tablets", they are still being used.