Author Topic: Original Wacky Products images  (Read 128419 times)

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Original Wacky Products images
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Wow, I do not recall Cosmic Candy or Space Dust -- was this an East Coast thing? Pop Rocks were definitely the rage where I grew up (West Coast).

Same here. Grew up on the West Coast with tons of Pop Rocks everywhere but never heard of Cosmic Candy or Space Dust

far out

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
Here's the basis for Scary Jane, from Wacky Packages Series 10:

Charles N Miller Co - Mary Jane - 1 1-2 oz candy wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

I did a short write up this one for my weekly Wacky Wednesday's column - you can check it out here:

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=3618
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Wow, I do not recall Cosmic Candy or Space Dust -- was this an East Coast thing? Pop Rocks were definitely the rage where I grew up (West Coast).

I do not recall Cosmic Candy or Space Dust either, unless they put it in the joint, then I'd still probably not remember. Anyway, on the east coast here in NJ it was Pop Rocks too.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »
I do not recall Cosmic Candy or Space Dust either, unless they put it in the joint, then I'd still probably not remember. Anyway, on the east coast here in NJ it was Pop Rocks too.

Both Cosmic Candy and Pop Rocks were popular here in the midwest (Indiana and Ohio areas) but I don't recollect seeing Space Dust. In my mind there was a good sized gap in time between Cosmic Candy and Pop Rocks though. It didn't seem like they were contemporaries. As for me, I preferred Zots for a candy that would explode in my mouth.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »
I found a bag at Sams club. Strange that I have never seen these in Colorado before but you can still find Doritos Taco Chips in North Dakota. I started to think it was a regional thing.

I found the retro packaging taco flavored Doritos at Walmart tonight.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
I found the retro packaging taco flavored Doritos at Walmart tonight.

They are good but a little can go a long way. They are awesome on taco pizza....yum!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
The basis for Series 9's Heartburn cereal - here's Heartland cereal.

Note:  This box is from 1976, and sports a "New Improved Taste" graphic burst on the package that the Wacky doesn't have.  But other than that - this is the box:

Pet Incorporated - Heartland Natural Cereal - Norman Rockwell prints - cereal box - 1976 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
Pretty cool. I remember those raisins being hard as rocks though. Not soft and sugar coated like raisin bran. Otherwise, loved that stuff and still get it once in a blue moon.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
The basis for Series 9's Heartburn cereal - here's Heartland cereal.

Note:  This box is from 1976, and sports a "New Improved Taste" graphic burst on the package that the Wacky doesn't have.  But other than that - this is the box:

Pet Incorporated - Heartland Natural Cereal - Norman Rockwell prints - cereal box - 1976 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Thanks for posting.  My recollection of this cereal is that it was quite the fad for a while.  My family bought a bunch (we tended to stock up), which may have contributed to my perception that it was selling like hotcakes.  Though I don't recall eating it too often, its image is definitely seared into my brain.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
Here's a vintage pack of Dynamints, the basis for Dynamites:

Dentyne - Dynamints - full, unopened 25-cent container package - early 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »
Jason,
Dude, you are the coolest! My brain just did a summersalt in my cranium. Seeing the Dynamints after at least 35 years is astonishing. You always post the good stuff and you NEVER disappoint. Thanks for sharing.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
Jason,
Dude, you are the coolest! My brain just did a summersalt in my cranium. Seeing the Dynamints after at least 35 years is astonishing. You always post the good stuff and you NEVER disappoint. Thanks for sharing.

Aw, thanks!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
Here's a vintage pack of Dynamints, the basis for Dynamites:

Dentyne - Dynamints - full, unopened 25-cent container package - early 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Wow!!  Thanks for the great pic!  That has always been one of my favorite OS Wackys, and I used to love the candy, too.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
Just did a write-up for my latest original Wacky Product Image find:

Wacky Wednesdays - Nastee Crush! http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=8339

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
Here's a product box that was the basis for the Wacky Packages sticker Satan Wrap (from way back in 1975's original Series 14) - Dow's Saran Wrap:

Dow - Saran Wrap - cling wrap package box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
Here's a product box that was the basis for the Wacky Packages sticker Satan Wrap (from way back in 1975's original Series 14) - Dow's Saran Wrap:

Dow - Saran Wrap - cling wrap package box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Thanks Jason, I always enjoy seeing the original product packaging to compare with the Wacky. It often helps give a better appreciation for some of the little gags or puns the artist/designed might have put on the Wacky.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Something new for the Original Wacky Product thread... this one is from the final original Wacky Packages series 16, and is an original Wacky product I've been hunting for, for years:

Wacky Wednesdays - Regal Clown Cherry Bombs!
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=12719

Thanks to forum members ratchet007 and sco(o)t - both of whom stepped up to offer scans of the original sticker for my post, with Ratchet007 offering first. 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:13:49 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »
Something new for the Original Wacky Product thread... this one is from the final original Wacky Packages series 16, and is an original Wacky product I've been hunting for, for years:

Thanks to forum members ratchet007 and sco(o)t - both of whom stepped up to offer scans of the original sticker for my post, with Ratchet007 offering first.  

(Image removed from quote.)

That's pretty cool. Guys! Clean your scanners...HaHa

BTW it is one of my faves from 16. I just love it and I don't know why?

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
My scanner isn't dirty. Those specks are on the border. I assume they are black ink from the printing process.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
Since there are crickets now in Wackyland, lets revive this thread and share hard-to-find actual product photos used for vintage WP spoofs.

Here's a few rare product photos spoofed in the 1967 die-cuts and series 1 sets:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:56:34 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »
Awesome!  Don't see perfect matches of early series products like these too often - the Spray Net is fantastic, and a really sharp image!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics - Would be really cool to see each card with its 1967 product next to one another

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
Rusty's website lostwackys.com is probably by far the best single source for real product images alongside OS 1-16 titles.  Not every image is a perfect match with respect to the exact packaging graphics at the time the parody was done, but many of them are, or at least very close matches.  If you click on "old wacky packages" you will then see alphabetical listings of the parody title under each series number.  Click on any title and you will see the parody & real product image side-by-side.  Very fun viewing.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2015, 10:20:11 AM »
Rusty's website lostwackys.com is probably by far the best single source for real product images alongside OS 1-16 titles.  Not every image is a perfect match with respect to the exact packaging graphics at the time the parody was done, but many of them are, or at least very close matches.  If you click on "old wacky packages" you will then see alphabetical listings of the parody title under each series number.  Click on any title and you will see the parody & real product image side-by-side.  Very fun viewing.

Yep! Rusty's site was my source for some of the images I was looking for. I definitely have upgrades to what he has!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »

Jason - not sure if you're aware, but the Regal Crown brand has been revived and these candies are back in production.  Over the summer I visited a retro-candy shop called Bobb Howard, which is actually operated in conjunction with an automotive service station in western Nassau County, and they had the new rolls.  Label artwork is very close to the original.  Also Reed's roll candies are back.  Both Bobb Howard and Economy Candy on the Lower East Side has both brands.  Reed's is available in a couple flavors, butterscotch and I think root beer are the ones I remember seeing.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2015, 05:30:52 PM »
Would be awesome to incorporate in the Master Spreadsheet

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2015, 06:03:42 AM »
Embedded jpg's would be best and I don't think Google Sheets supports that. I could use links but they're transient. Hm, not sure I want to tackle that!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Jason - not sure if you're aware, but the Regal Crown brand has been revived and these candies are back in production.  Over the summer I visited a retro-candy shop called Bobb Howard, which is actually operated in conjunction with an automotive service station in western Nassau County, and they had the new rolls.  Label artwork is very close to the original.  Also Reed's roll candies are back.  Both Bobb Howard and Economy Candy on the Lower East Side has both brands.  Reed's is available in a couple flavors, butterscotch and I think root beer are the ones I remember seeing.

I did not know that.    I had thought they were still in development hell, so to speak.  Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to try them!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2015, 11:07:10 PM »

Reed's is available in a couple flavors, butterscotch and I think root beer are the ones I remember seeing.

and cinnamon

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2016, 03:52:09 PM »
Hey gang, revived my Wacky Wednesdays column for today, as I finally tracked down an early 70's Smith Brothers cough drops box (the basis of Smith Sisters).  Something I've been hunting for, for the better part of a decade.  You can see my post about it here:

Wacky Wednesdays - Smith Sisters!
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=18080

But here's the meat of it:

Special thanks for forum members Sco(o)t and Ratchet007 for helping me out with scans of the original sticker. 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »
Looks great, Jason!  Thanks for sharing it and congrats on tracking down a decade-long quest.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2016, 05:00:16 AM »
Jason, that is very cool seeing the original packaging.  They did a great job with this sticker.  I also like the new un-wacky sticker with the real Smith Bros. on it!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2016, 05:02:57 AM »
Also, I have posted before, but here are a couple of items I saw at an antique store a little while back.

Still looking for Series 17

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »
Hey gang, revived my Wacky Wednesdays column for today, as I finally tracked down an early 70's Smith Brothers cough drops box (the basis of Smith Sisters).  Something I've been hunting for, for the better part of a decade.  You can see my post about it here:

Wacky Wednesdays - Smith Sisters!
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=18080

But here's the meat of it:

Special thanks for forum members Sco(o)t and Ratchet007 for helping me out with scans of the original sticker.

Amazing! As collectors, I think we sometimes take it for granted that the original packaging will always be around (at least for a while). But when you have to search 10 years for just one box, it really puts things in perspective! The fact that it's 10x easier to find the original Wacky Packages sticker than the original packaging speaks volumes. A big thanks for sharing these with us!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
Jason, that is very cool seeing the original packaging.  They did a great job with this sticker.  I also like the new un-wacky sticker with the real Smith Bros. on it!

Thanks!  That's sort of related to an idea I've had for a while that I don't currently have the time to mount...

and that would be producing a little bootleg card set called "Actual Packages", which would be maybe a 20-30 card set of some of the original Wacky products I've tracked down over the years.  With the front being essentially what you see there with the Smith Brothers, and the back would describe what original Wacky it inspired and perhaps tell a bit about the history of the actual product itself, its place in advertising/consumer culture history, etc.  Just sort of a goof, but something that might be fun for collectors to put in some 9-card pages or maybe do a few 9-card pages of side-by-sides with their matching Wacky sticker.  A bit of a left-field complement to some original series stickers, especially when viewed together. 

After producing the promo card for my Kickstarter in October, I realized that you can do a limited amount of cards with a good quality without breaking the bank.  Could be fun.  It would be for me!  Something I might get to in the Fall if I can make the time. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:04:17 AM by JasonLiebig »