Author Topic: Original Wacky Products images  (Read 128449 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Original Wacky Products images
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
Has anyone noticed the retro Cheeto's packaging? I just picked a pack up over the weekend and didn't notice it until I cracked the bag for lunch today.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
Has anyone noticed the retro Cheeto's packaging? I just picked a pack up over the weekend and didn't notice it until I cracked the bag for lunch today.

Neat! 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
dang. there's so much retro packaging around now that you could do a whole ANS set and everyone would think it was an Old School set

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
dang. there's so much retro packaging around now that you could do a whole ANS set and everyone would think it was an Old School set

Was that a shot? It's hard to know because so many collectors can't let go of the original series and realize there are actually new series. Not a shot back directly to you but others have trouble being a kid again with the same parody stickers we collected as a kid. Every one wants to compare everything to the good old days. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! We have to be very happy with new series coming out and hope it doesnt end soon. I love the new stuff. Sure it's not the old stuff but it's still fun!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
Was that a shot? It's hard to know because so many collectors can't let go of the original series and realize there are actually new series. Not a shot back directly to you but others have trouble being a kid again with the same parody stickers we collected as a kid. Every one wants to compare everything to the good old days. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! We have to be very happy with new series coming out and hope it doesnt end soon. I love the new stuff. Sure it's not the old stuff but it's still fun!
I agree. There's been so much, so fast, everyone should take another look at the ANS stuff and dig in, there's a lot of good stuff there!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2011, 06:19:58 AM »

Do you collect any of the "old" stuff?? Art? Boxes? Stickers? Sheets?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2011, 06:47:56 AM »
hmmm?  that wasn't a shot at all and I'm not even sure how you could read it that way.
i wasn't comparing ANS to the Originals, I was just saying that with all this "modern" retro packaging, the ANS sets and Dave's Old School sets could start looking the same
should Topps avoid this stuff for ANS? or maybe they could start doing ANS Old School-style subsets consisting of only products that are using retro packaging - Chee-tos, Cheerios, Mountain Dew, Doritos, Capn Crunch, etc.
Make it a guessing game. 1973? or 2011?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2011, 07:22:55 AM »
Do you collect any of the "old" stuff?? Art? Boxes? Stickers? Sheets?

Yes! I have the complete run of 1-16 and a ton of doubles. I also have a bunch of unopened packs. I don't have any art or boxes from OS. My OS stuff is pretty much complete so that is why it's fun to pay most of my attention to the new stuff.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
...so many collectors can't let go of the original series and realize there are actually new series. Not a shot back directly to you but others have trouble being a kid again with the same parody stickers we collected as a kid. Every one wants to compare everything to the good old days. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! We have to be very happy with new series coming out and hope it doesnt end soon. I love the new stuff. Sure it's not the old stuff but it's still fun!

Glad you're enjoying everything Brad, but this statement puzzles me. I loved comics when I was a kid, from 1971-1980 or so. I still love those comics today, and collect them. Does that mean I should collect new comics? I don't like the art or the overall style of new comics. I like Bronze Age comics and that's what I collect.

The notion that just because someone collected wackys as a kid that they should automatically want to collect new wackys puzzles me. I like original series wackys, and I will continue to focus on collecting them. I get a few guffaws from some of the new stuff, but for the most part, I feel similarly to the way I feel about comics.

Why exactly should we let go of the original series? Realizing there are new wackys doesn't equate to caring about them.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »

You're right... and it's pretty fantastic... if you're into that sort of thing.  Which, ahem, I am. 

Not sure if you guys saw it, but Target even had retro Downy, Bounce, and one other product in that vein.  They didn't match the old package size or plastic bottle shape, but they used all of the 70's graphics on current package sizes. 

As for old vs. new?  Is there really any room for criticism? 

You can weigh the merits of artwork and how folks buy them, how they're distributed - and there's certainly some interesting discussion there, as there is with comparing 45's to iTunes.   Nothing wrong with choosing one over the other, or both, or neither, is there?  To each their own. 

However, when you start claiming one is intrinsically better, more important, or more valuable than the other - you've simply bought into an myth that only stands if people believe it.  The value of collectibles is completely about what value we ascribe to them - the value comes from us - not the things.  By themselves, they're just old ephemera.  Most of which is trash.    And lets face it, that's still how most people feel about the things we collect.  Which, I think, is perfectly fine.   :great:
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
Glad you're enjoying everything Brad, but this statement puzzles me. I loved comics when I was a kid, from 1971-1980 or so. I still love those comics today, and collect them. Does that mean I should collect new comics? I don't like the art or the overall style of new comics. I like Bronze Age comics and that's what I collect.

The notion that just because someone collected wackys as a kid that they should automatically want to collect new wackys puzzles me. I like original series wackys, and I will continue to focus on collecting them. I get a few guffaws from some of the new stuff, but for the most part, I feel similarly to the way I feel about comics.

Why exactly should we let go of the original series? Realizing there are new wackys doesn't equate to caring about them.
No, sorry, sometimes posts are read the wrong way. What I meant is some collectors don't really care for the new stuff or they are casual collectors of the new stuff but still compare all the new stuff to the old. You really can't compare the new stuff to the old. Everyone has their opinion.
I embrace all the new stuff and I like how Dave has brought us back to the good old days with the OLDS series.
There is no nostalgia for me with the new series like the OS. I just love to collect Wacky's. I don't like all of newer series but some are really fantastic. I also love how the artists have brought the classic characters back through the sketch cards. Through this we can be kids again.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
No, sorry, sometimes posts are read the wrong way. What I meant is some collectors don't really care for the new stuff or they are casual collectors of the new stuff but still compare all the new stuff to the old. You really can't compare the new stuff to the old. Everyone has their opinion.
I embrace all the new stuff and I like how Dave has brought us back to the good old days with the OLDS series.
There is no nostalgia for me with the new series like the OS. I just love to collect Wacky's. I don't like all of newer series but some are really fantastic. I also love how the artists have brought the classic characters back through the sketch cards. Through this we can be kids again.

I agree with the way you feel too.  I am having a blast collecting the new series.  Although I still love the vintage Wackys, they have taken a back-seat for me to the new series the past several years.  I still am chipping away at upgrading my vintage collection and I keep my eye out for the rare ones I still need, but that's about it. 

The new series are exciting because it's not as redundant as the originals.  Every series is new and fresh, and most of them feature very good art and gags, only with better print quality.  To me the sketch cards only add to that excitement.  My only complaint fro the new series is what it's doing to my bank account, but hopefully the odds improve for ANS8 and they do NOT do another Flashback series!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »
Hi guys...

Just posted my weekly Wacky Wednesdays column over at CollectingCandy.com
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=2371

The sticker for today is 1975's 14th Series Rotsa Root, and the package parodied is Topps' own Lotsa Loot.  If you don't want to make the jump over to my site, here's the meat of what you'd probably be curious to see - my unopened Lotsa Loot pack:

Topps - Lotsa Loot - candy package - early 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Kook

« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2012, 12:34:59 PM »
Hi guys...

The sticker for today is 1975's 14th Series Rotsa Root, and the package parodied is Topps' own Lotsa Loot.  If you don't want to make the jump over to my site, here's the meat of what you'd probably be curious to see - my unopened Lotsa Loot pack:

Very cool! I don't really recall the packaging as a kid, but are they the candies that look like big multi-color smarties with a tire track around the edge? I vaguely remember a candy like the one pictured on the package.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Hi guys...

O man... if I were the Rotsa Root artist, I sure would have been tempted to put Japanese setting suns behind the "Japanese Candy Money" text after seeing the original candy wrapper. Umm, I can say that because I work for Sony... would ya believe.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
After years of searching, I've finally turned up a Milk Duds box that is the style parodied in 1974's Series 12 Milk Muds. 

I've documented a bit more about it on my CollectingCandy.com site, and if you're curious, you can check it out here:

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=2859

For those that just want the goodies, here's the box:

Holloway - Milk Duds - candy box - mid-1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

I should note that, I've found a number of 1970's Milk Duds boxes over the years, but have never found one of these styles.  I'm not sure why this box style has eluded me for so long, only that it has.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
Fantastic. You're doing a great job with your site. When I read your stuff I feel as excited as if I were actually a collector.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
Fantastic. You're doing a great job with your site. When I read your stuff I feel as excited as if I were actually a collector.

Thanks, Dave.  I do try to convey how exciting this stuff is for me, and I know I've got a leg up when a collector reads that.  It's great feedback to get, and I do appreciate it. 

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
Agree with Dave. Really nicely done and fun to explore!  :great:

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
I also really like your site Jason. Almost every time I read one of your articles it jogs my memory back to something I had forgotten about. Keep up the fine work.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »
After years of searching, I've finally turned up a Milk Duds box that is the style parodied in 1974's Series 12 Milk Muds. 

I've documented a bit more about it on my CollectingCandy.com site, and if you're curious, you can check it out here:

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=2859

For those that just want the goodies, here's the box:

Holloway - Milk Duds - candy box - mid-1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

I should note that, I've found a number of 1970's Milk Duds boxes over the years, but have never found one of these styles.  I'm not sure why this box style has eluded me for so long, only that it has.
Great job Jason. It nice to see this stuff archived in such a enjoyable way.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, I remember that Cold Power box. Not so much the Ajacks, but it too does look familiar.

Offline Crust

« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »
Does anyone have images of old school 3 products? That would be cool 2 see, since some of the cards i dont remember the products! :]

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »
Does anyone have images of old school 3 products? That would be cool 2 see, since some of the cards i dont remember the products! :]

I've got a number of them.. I'll post next week when I return home.

Offline Crust

« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
I've got a number of them.. I'll post next week when I return home.

Thanks I'm looking forward too it! ;D

Offline Hitcher

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
I bought a beer can collection on Friday, found these in there. Thought they were pretty cool...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
I bought a beer can collection on Friday, found these in there. Thought they were pretty cool...

I looked into beer can collecting years ago and like Wackys I was surprised at how big of a hobby it is.  It looked like a fun item to collect, as long as you have the display space.

Offline Hitcher

« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
yea... it's huge... I bought these to educate myself on them and resell... unfortunately the education has already taught me that the ones from the 1970s aren't worth all that much :(  Guess I will have to keep them and add it to the list of things I collect.... You may be seeing my on an episode of Hoarders before long...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
yea... it's huge... I bought these to educate myself on them and resell... unfortunately the education has already taught me that the ones from the 1970s aren't worth all that much :(  Guess I will have to keep them and add it to the list of things I collect.... You may be seeing my on an episode of Hoarders before long...

That's good and bad though, because if you are a newbie you can collect the 70's cans fairly cheaply.  If I remember correctly you have to back into the 50's and 60's to have the value go way up, and like Wackys condition is everything with the old ones.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
Here's what I've got for Original Product Images for Old School Series 3 - I know one or two of these are pretty common, and a few others are very difficult to find.  I'm happy to state that Dave used a few pieces from my collection for direct inspiration:

Pop Rocks - Cherry Flavor 20-cent pack - General Foods - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Charleston Chew! - Vanilla 10-cent candy bar wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Cling Free sheets - frabric softener dryer sheets - box - 1978 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Gagliardi Bros - Steak-Umm - package box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Nestle - 100,000 Dollar 100 Grand - candy bar wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

General Mills - Golden Grahams - NEW! - cereal box - 1975 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Mine's a bag, rather than a box (what the Wacky was) - but it provides nice detail on the original packaging art:

Purina Meow Mix bag - all sides scan - 1976-1977 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

General Foods - Gaines-Burgers dog food box - 1971 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Post - Honeycomb - Balloon Flyer - cereal box - 1979 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

M&M's Plain Chocolate Candies candy pack - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Jason, just curious....do you own any Space Dust packaging? That's the one I remember more than Pop Rocks for some reason.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
Jason, just curious....do you own any Space Dust packaging? That's the one I remember more than Pop Rocks for some reason.

I do...I have all three of the different flavor packs, as well as all six of the Cosmic Candy flavor packs (what Space Dust was renamed to), as well as a cool promo poster they put out for Cosmic Candy.  I'm planning on doing a piece covering all of them soon, as the inventor was also a pretty interesting guy.

For now...here's the Cosmic Candy promo poster:

Cosmic Candy promotional poster - Art by Doug Johnson - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
Here's a cool commercial:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUypLLIsHec" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUypLLIsHec</a>

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
Wow, I do not recall Cosmic Candy or Space Dust -- was this an East Coast thing? Pop Rocks were definitely the rage where I grew up (West Coast).