Author Topic: Original Wacky Products images  (Read 128482 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Mold Rush
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
Very cool!  I didn't know there was Gold Rush in 1982.  What flavor is the one on the left - regular "bubble gum" flavor, or another fruit?

The adjective-less bag on the far left was, I believe, simply the fruit flavor but not named, which was also the standard flavor.  When they introduced the other flavors, they added the fruit flavor distinction.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
The adjective-less bag on the far left was, I believe, simply the fruit flavor but not named, which was also the standard flavor.  When they introduced the other flavors, they added the fruit flavor distinction.

Not willing to try a piece to be sure, hmmm??   :]  I remember buying that gum frequently, but I don't remember if they had a regular 'bubble gum' flavor.

Offline Crust

Re: Original Wacky Products images
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
I think that we should convince Topps to bring that good old gum back  :D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »
I think that we should convince Topps to bring that good old gum back  :D

They were able to match that 70's original wacky gum with ANS. Smells great, chews good for 3 seconds, flavor sugar rush, then instant hardening into rock like substance while retaining zero flavor. Ahh yes, that great Wacky Gum - only real use was for staining the cards.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:12 AM »
They were able to match that 70's original wacky gum with ANS. Smells great, chews good for 3 seconds, flavor sugar rush, then instant hardening into rock like substance while retaining zero flavor. Ahh yes, that great Wacky Gum - only real use was for staining the cards.

Ha ha, I remember riding my bike home from the store with a pocket loaded full of gum sticks, and about every 50 rotations of the peddles I would need another stick to keep the flavor rush going, and my jaw muscles would get sore!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:30 AM »

Regarding the gum, I guess the folks at Topps haven’t heard of Wonka’s Everlasting Gobstopper concept?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »
Regarding the gum, I guess the folks at Topps haven’t heard of Wonka’s Everlasting Gobstopper concept?

They were just trying to keep those memories alive. Guess it would of worked even better if the gum was used in the FB sets!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
They were just trying to keep those memories alive. Guess it would of worked even better if the gum was used in the FB sets!
I agree. It wasn't much of a flashback without the gum. I guess they were relying on those stupid border patterns to trigger the flashbacks. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »
I guess they were relying on those stupid border patterns to trigger the flashbacks. 
LOL!
Finally someone offers up a sensible explanation for those crazy FB borders. That one pattern is of mushrooms supports your theory.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
although not used in the original run of wackys, I saw this at the grocery store today.
I guess it's just the next round in Pepsi Co. use of retro packaging?

[expando]http://i52.tinypic.com/29vgoq0.jpg[/expando]

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
although not used in the original run of wackys, I saw this at the grocery store today.

Do they still have taco flavor doritos or was this a flavor flashback?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:16 PM »

It's definately retro looking.

That reminds me, in NJ, we never did get the retro pepsi that was discussed on the forum here. The one that was made with real sugar like back in the day. I thought that release was a limited time but was supposed to be nation wide.

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2011, 09:04:44 PM »
Do they still have taco flavor doritos or was this a flavor flashback?

I think they stopped making it for quite a few years, but it was brought back not long ago as a "Late Night" flavor called Tacos at Midnight, although I'm not sure if it was the original flavor from the 70's.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »

Yes, this is retro packaging, and the way they're reintroducing the "classic" taco flavor for Doritos -So, the packaging is limited, but the flavor is set to become a standard again.  The packaging is the style used in the early 80's.  Original Taco, and variations of Taco flavors have been released over the years.  Also, this week Hostess released retro Twinkies and Cupcakes, which you can probably find at Wal-Mart, and Shoprite stores have an exclusive retro Ho-Ho's.

Frito-Lay- Doritos Throwback Taco flavor chip snack bag - 2010 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Here's an early 70's Taco Doritos bag, for comparison:

Frito-Lay - Doritos Taco Flavor 15-cent bag - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Here are two of the Hostess retros that were released this week:

Retro Hostess Boxes by Neato Coolville, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »
Yes, this is retro packaging, and the way they're reintroducing the "classic" taco flavor for Doritos -So, the packaging is limited, but the flavor is set to become a standard again.  The packaging is the style used in the early 80's. 
and what's that yellow thing on the front of the package? it looks like a skillet or a measuring cup.
and don't tell me it's a sombrero, because it's clearly not.  :P

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »
Also, this week Hostess released retro Twinkies and Cupcakes, which you can probably find at Wal-Mart, and Shoprite stores have an exclusive retro Ho-Ho's.

So are these retro Twinkies made with the old recipe?  Or is it just retro packaging?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »
So are these retro Twinkies made with the old recipe?  Or is it just retro packaging?

The Twinkies have banana-flavored creme filling - which is, historically speaking, the only kind of creme filling that Twinkies had during the initial years of their existence, before WW2.  So the flavor is retro, but I can't imagine that the recipe is. 

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
The Twinkies have banana-flavored creme filling - which is, historically speaking, the only kind of creme filling that Twinkies had during the initial years of their existence, before WW2.  So the flavor is retro, but I can't imagine that the recipe is. 
Maybe those are the actual Twinkies from before WW2.

Offline Crust

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
Well, according to Family Guy, Twinkes can servive anything. That means that maybye they are from before WW2 :o

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »
Well, according to Family Guy, Twinkes can servive anything. That means that maybye they are from before WW2 :o

I know we're joking - but in reality, Hostess products have surprisingly short shelf-lives.  Twinkies, for instance, become dry and rock hard in a few years time.  Like an old piece of cake, I guess.

Another tidbit is that the banana flavor has been brought back before - most recently as a tie-in to the recent King Kong remake.   This one is far more fun, of course, because they've brought back the 1970's version of the mascot. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
Another tidbit is that the banana flavor has been brought back before - most recently as a tie-in to the recent King Kong remake.   This one is far more fun, of course, because they've brought back the 1970's version of the mascot. 

I'd like to see retro packages Chocodiles next!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »
I'd like to see retro packages Chocodiles next!

Me too!  What's great about this is that it certainly sets the stage for more retro possibilities.  Retro Chocodiles would be great, and would be a great excuse to do a limited national release of them.  Right now they're regional.

The only thing I wouldn't expect to see is a retro Big Wheels package with Chief Big Wheel.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:14 PM »
Here's a SueBee jar that i've had for many years.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
I loved the Taco flavored Doritos from the 70's.  The new ones in the Late Night bag are definitely not the same.  I will have to try and find some of the retro ones.  I love that 15 sent bag.  I used to buy those all the time!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 08:19:29 AM »
I loved the Taco flavored Doritos from the 70's.  The new ones in the Late Night bag are definitely not the same.  I will have to try and find some of the retro ones.  I love that 15 sent bag.  I used to buy those all the time!

I found a bag at Sams club. Strange that I have never seen these in Colorado before but you can still find Doritos Taco Chips in North Dakota. I started to think it was a regional thing.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
Here's a new one I just acquired - it's the basis for the 1985 Wacky Package sticker Reaganets - it's a photo box for Raisinets:

Ward Foods - Raisinets milk chocolate covered raisins - candy box - late 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Though the Wacky is from the 1985, this particular photo box most likely dates to the later 1970's. 

Before the photo box, they had a more simple illustrated box - this one is an early 1970's example:

Ward Candy Company - Raisinets - milk chocolate covered raisins - candy box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
Here's a new one I just acquired - it's the basis for the 1985 Wacky Package sticker Reaganets - it's a photo box for Raisinets:

Ward Foods - Raisinets milk chocolate covered raisins - candy box - late 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Though the Wacky is from the 1985, this particular photo box most likely dates to the later 1970's.  

Before the photo box, they had a more simple illustrated box - this one is an early 1970's example:

Ward Candy Company - Raisinets - milk chocolate covered raisins - candy box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Here's the parody!
I have it framed and no matter where I put it in the room, it got a nasty reflection from the light in the room -annoying.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:24:12 PM by Playbug »

Offline Crust

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
Thought I'd give this topic a bump, to see if anyone had products from OS2

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!