Author Topic: Original Wacky Products images  (Read 128434 times)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: Original Wacky Products images
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
This must be taking place in Spring Training. How else to explain the two guys on the same team?

What a second here, the guy at home isn't batting, he's fielding. And he's at home plate but doesn't have a catcher's mitt. If it's not the pitcher covering home, maybe it's the first baseman who was trying to back up a throw to home ... oh, forget it. It's just wacky.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: Weakies
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »
You can even see the N on the hat of the Wheaties guy.

I guess that rules out the theory that the "N" stands for Norm.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
I guess that rules out the theory that the "N" stands for Norm.

Unless the original is actually an H or a K. Hard to tell.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
Unless the original is actually an H or a K. Hard to tell.

Just click on the link to my original hi-res Flickr posting, it's an "N" on the Wheaties box.  Here it is again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4729777211/

Click on the "All Sizes" button to get to the place where you can view the original scan size.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
What a second here, the guy at home isn't batting, he's fielding. And he's at home plate but doesn't have a catcher's mitt. If it's not the pitcher covering home, maybe it's the first baseman who was trying to back up a throw to home ... oh, forget it. It's just wacky.

The pitcher and catcher are one in the same. He's throwing the ball to himself, in an alternate reality. Yes... I miss the show "Lost"  ;)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
Hi guys,

Here's my original Wacky product for the 1970's 5th series Betty Crooked Sludge, based on the 1970's Betty Crocker's Fudge Brownie Mix. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4773644642/

And a comparison I put together:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4774642278/

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »
Hi guys,

Here's my original Wacky product for the 1970's 5th series Betty Crooked Sludge, based on the 1970's Betty Crocker's Fudge Brownie Mix. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4773644642/

(Image removed from quote.)

And a comparison I put together:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4774642278/

(Image removed from quote.)
Very cool indeed!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
The new "Bettys Attic" magazine has the (New) "Wacky" book in it! :o
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
Hi guys,

I put together this double Wacky image a few years ago:

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/Project/onsite/sludgefudge.jpg
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
Hi gang,

Just snagged a 1970's box for Lipton's Cup-a-Soup Chicken Noodle, which I'm fairly sure was the basis for Cup-a-Slop:

Lipton - Cup-a-Soup - Chicken Noodle Soup box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Lipton - Cup-a-Soup - Wacky Packages Comparison - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 05:58:57 AM »
Jason, good find!  I was a big eater of cup-a-soup as a kid.  Boiling water was something I could do fairly well. ;)
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
Hi gang,

Just snagged a 1970's box for Lipton's Cup-a-Soup Chicken Noodle, which I'm fairly sure was the basis for Cup-a-Slop:

Lipton - Cup-a-Soup - Chicken Noodle Soup box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Lipton - Cup-a-Soup - Wacky Packages Comparison - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

I love looking at these up close.  Here's a question for you.  Why did Norm (or the sketch drawer) add fish to a cup of water for a chicken soup Wacky?  Does it make any sense other than it deals with water?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
I love looking at these up close.  Here's a question for you.  Why did Norm (or the sketch drawer) add fish to a cup of water for a chicken soup Wacky?  Does it make any sense other than it deals with water?
I never really thought of that but it is an excellent point.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »
I never really thought of that but it is an excellent point.
There are many bad gags and ones that have no focus.  Funny looking characters on common household products with "some" titles have really good gags allowed wackys to thrive.

We should start a thread where we only discuss the gag, not the recognition of the product, not the great art, just purely the gag.  I think we will find more not so great ones than we expect....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »

I think the addition of these characters is just a choice for humor, as was already pointed out.  I was just looking at the Old School sticker for Bubble Yuk, and the cow is there, I think as some connection to chewing cud - and I think it works. 

Glad you enjoy looking at the links to my full-res scans - I like to post what I call "archival level" scans of these old pieces of packaging - so that you really couldn't get a better look at it, even if you had the original box in your hand. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2010, 06:18:22 AM »
A couple more "original Wacky products" images:

The basis for the original 3rd series Argh - an Argo corn starch box:

Argo Corn Starch - package box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

And here is the basis for Wash 'N Fly - A wash 'n Dri box:

Colgate-Palmolive - Wash 'n Dri Lime - package box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »
Here's one I thought you guys would dig.  I've shared my 1970's Underwood Deviled Ham packaging before, which was a basis for an original Wacky Sticker - but I recently acquired a 1950's Underwood package, and it's pretty spectacular.  So, today, I'll share my series of packages that I've picked up for this:

Underwood Deviled Ham - package wrapper - 1940's 1950's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Underwood Deviled Ham mascot & logo isolated - 1940's 1950's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Underwood Deviled Ham - Family Size - Perfect for Picnics! wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Underwood Deviled Ham - Family Size - Delicious With Eggs wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Underwood Deviled Ham - now easy open - package wrapper - 1980's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Underwood Chunky Chicken spread package wrapper - 1980's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

wackyone

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:58 AM »
these all really take me back,,,i worked at a grocery store as well so i remember them well.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
Here's another one - this one the source for the 1970's Wacky Packages sticker, Oh Hairy! a 1970's Oh Henry! bar wrapper:

Ward - Oh Henry! - candy bar wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »
Here's another one - this one the source for the 1970's Wacky Packages sticker, Oh Hairy! a 1970's Oh Henry! bar wrapper:

Ward - Oh Henry! - candy bar wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

That's a nice one!  But now, I want an Oh Henry! bar.....  The funny thing is that I distinctly remember buying one 2 weeks ago, and now I can't find it.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »
I love seeing these, thanks Jason!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 02:34:14 AM »
Just posted this - it's a 1970's Spic and Span cleanser box - the basis for the 1970's Wacky Spit and Spill:

Proctor & Gamble - Spic and Span - cleaner box package - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2010, 02:15:55 PM »
Here's the basis for the 1970's 12th Series Flare - a Flair pen, in blue.  I recently acquired a number of variations of these, and this is very likely the exact version used as a model for the parody:

Gillette - Flair pen - blue - package - early 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »
ugh...Underwood Deviled Ham Spread.  I hated that stuff!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »
I remember loving it! Could have been the packaging that swayed me though.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »
I remember loving it! Could have been the packaging that swayed me though.

I may have to get a can tomorrow. I don't know if I have ever tried it. It says it's good with eggs ;)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
I may have to get a can tomorrow. I don't know if I have ever tried it. It says it's good with eggs ;)

Seems like we had this about once ever other week when I was growing up. Treat (like Spam) one week and deviled ham the next. For some reason, I remember preferring it on toast rather than plain bread.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »

Seems like we had this about once ever other week when I was growing up. Treat (like Spam) one week and deviled ham the next. For some reason, I remember preferring it on toast rather than plain bread.

We should start a thread on potted meat!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:25 AM »

I saw cans of Treat at Big Lots last week, if you're feeling nostalgic!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »
I saw cans of Treat at Big Lots last week, if you're feeling nostalgic!

I really liked it (Treet) as a kid when appropriately slathered with Miracle Whip and fresh tomatoes.
I don't think I have had it for about 25 years now... which, coincidentally, happens to be
it's shelf half-life. When we were in Hawaii about 2 years ago, I was surprised to see several
of the breakfast meals at McDonalds came with Spam. The Spam was chopped into small cubes.
They say Hawaiians fell in love with Spam during the time preceding and during WW II when it
was abundant on the islands due to the number of military bases. I always thought it was
an overblown stereotype but you do see it a lot there.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Bit-O-Honey and other goodness
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
Hi guys,

Just posted a number vintage holiday candy pieces to my Flickr pages, and I hope you guys can drop by and check them out.  I'm excited to share them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/ 

I also just did a big Bit-O-Honey posting, with related pieces going all the way back to the 1920's.  Since Bit-O-Honey is the basis for the 1970's 6th Series Bit-O-Money, I wanted to post about it here.  So here is my 1970's Bit-O-Honey wrapper:

Ward Candy Company - Bit-O-Honey 15-cent candy wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

And though it's not the basis for a Wacky, one of my all-time favorite pieces in my collection is a Bit-O-Honey spinoff, Bit-O-Chocolate, also from the 1970's.  Of note, as far as I know, this is the only image you'll find of one of these anywhere on the net.  In fact, it's the only example of one of these I've ever seen, photo or otherwise:

Ward Candy Company - Bit-O-Chocolate candy wrapper - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Hope you guys dig 'em, and I do hope you can stop by my Flickr just to see some of the other interesting bits of candy history.  There's a fun 1969 Topps Press release among 'em... oh heck, I might as well post that here - 'tis the Season, after all:

Topps Christmas candy and gum line - trade magazine announcement - National Candy Wholesaler - September 1969 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Mold Rush
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:20 AM »
Thought you guys would enjoy seeing my small collection of unopened Gold Rush bubble gum pouches - the original product parodied by Mold Rush.  These all still contain the original bubble gum, but even after 30 years, no mold:

Topps - OPC - Gold Rush bubble gum full pouches - 1970's and 1982 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Mold Rush
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 12:56:15 AM »
Thought you guys would enjoy seeing my small collection of unopened Gold Rush bubble gum pouches - the original product parodied by Mold Rush.  These all still contain the original bubble gum, but even after 30 years, no mold:

Topps - OPC - Gold Rush bubble gum full pouches - 1970's and 1982 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Very cool!  I didn't know there was Gold Rush in 1982.  What flavor is the one on the left - regular "bubble gum" flavor, or another fruit?

Offline ClubbedCanadian

Re: Mold Rush
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
Thought you guys would enjoy seeing my small collection of unopened Gold Rush bubble gum pouches - the original product parodied by Mold Rush.  These all still contain the original bubble gum, but even after 30 years, no mold:

great lineup  :o
those are makin' me wanna chew some of them good o' nuggets!
I never seen that one on the left b4..maybe a later version?

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 03:07:32 AM »
Jason, those Gold Rush bags take me back to my childhood - having a sack in my pocket to munch on while I rode my bike around the neighborhood.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/