Author Topic: Original Wacky Products images  (Read 132861 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Original Wacky Products images
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »
Thanks!  That's sort of related to an idea I've had for a while that I don't currently have the time to mount...

and that would be producing a little bootleg card set called "Actual Packages", which would be maybe a 20-30 card set of some of the original Wacky products I've tracked down over the years.  With the front being essentially what you see there with the Smith Brothers, and the back would describe what original Wacky it inspired and perhaps tell a bit about the history of the actual product itself, its place in advertising/consumer culture history, etc.  Just sort of a goof, but something that might be fun for collectors to put in some 9-card pages or maybe do a few 9-card pages of side-by-sides with their matching Wacky sticker.  A bit of a left-field complement to some original series stickers, especially when viewed together. 

After producing the promo card for my Kickstarter in October, I realized that you can do a limited amount of cards with a good quality without breaking the bank.  Could be fun.  It would be for me!  Something I might get to in the Fall if I can make the time.

As I recall Wacky lore, the original idea of what became Wacky Packages was stickers of actual products.  Then Len Brown, or somebody, suggested making parodies of the products instead.  If your idea of "Actual Packages" came to fruition, it would be a sort of full-circle turn for Wackys.

I do like the idea you've proposed.  I think the most appealing products would be ones we 40 and 50 somethings enjoyed as kids.  For example, while I do remember Smith Brothers cough drops, it would be even cooler to have the original box of Capt. Crunch as an "Actual Package".  Nothing wrong with less well-remember products, of course, but it is fun to see those items we fondly remember from childhood.

Offline quas

« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
Thanks!  That's sort of related to an idea I've had for a while that I don't currently have the time to mount...

and that would be producing a little bootleg card set called "Actual Packages", which would be maybe a 20-30 card set of some of the original Wacky products I've tracked down over the years.  With the front being essentially what you see there with the Smith Brothers, and the back would describe what original Wacky it inspired and perhaps tell a bit about the history of the actual product itself, its place in advertising/consumer culture history, etc.  Just sort of a goof, but something that might be fun for collectors to put in some 9-card pages or maybe do a few 9-card pages of side-by-sides with their matching Wacky sticker.  A bit of a left-field complement to some original series stickers, especially when viewed together. 

After producing the promo card for my Kickstarter in October, I realized that you can do a limited amount of cards with a good quality without breaking the bank.  Could be fun.  It would be for me!  Something I might get to in the Fall if I can make the time.

Or alternatively, instead of having to flip the card to see the Wacky parody, produce a panoramic size (like a wacky Ad size) card with the original product on the left and the Wacky parody on the right, so you see them side by side and get a full appreciation of the similarities and (of course) the differences.
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
Or alternatively, instead of having to flip the card to see the Wacky parody, produce a panoramic size (like a wacky Ad size) card with the original product on the left and the Wacky parody on the right, so you see them side by side and get a full appreciation of the similarities and (of course) the differences.

This would make a grrrrreat 50th Anniversary project!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »

How about a lenticular subset where the picture morphs between the Wacky and the actual product?  ;D  :great:;D :great: ;D :great: ;D  :great:;D  :great:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:46:23 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
How about a lenticular subset where the picture morphs between the Wacky and the actual product?  ;D  :great:;D :great: ;D :great: ;D  :great:;D  :great:

Brilliant!!! I'm McLovin' it!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »
  One would have to get permission from the actual manufacturers of the product to do a series featuring real products.  Nevertheless, such a thing might sell on a smaller scale to collectors. Series #1 would just have the 30 or so real products parodied in Wacky Packages series 1, and the product would be called SERIOUS PACKAGES.  Makes more sense to me than MLB Wackys.

Offline quas

« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »
  One would have to get permission from the actual manufacturers of the product to do a series featuring real products.  Nevertheless, such a thing might sell on a smaller scale to collectors. Series #1 would just have the 30 or so real products parodied in Wacky Packages series 1, and the product would be called SERIOUS PACKAGES.  Makes more sense to me than MLB Wackys.

I like the name!  Seriously!   :great:
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
  One would have to get permission from the actual manufacturers of the product to do a series featuring real products. 

Imagine the sound a balloon makes when you let the air out....phhhhhhhhttttt....phhhhtttt....phhttt...

Offline quas

« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »
One consideration, of course, is that there are several actual products for which there are multiple Wackys - like Kelloggs Frosted Flakes.
Marc

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »

Just say, "Second Series Serious Packages" ten times fast!             :o

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input and ideas (and possible history) guys. 

If I were to do it, it would be in a totally bootleg/underground/illegal unlicensed fashion.  I'd come up with 20 or 30 trading cards-sized cards and I'd do a run of 20 or 30 sets, that I'd invite forum members to buy at cost.  It would be merely a lark, but one that I'd endeavor to make look professional.   

And I'd be pulling exclusively from the pool of items where I have personally uncovered the original Wacky product, a hobby quest I've had a lot of fun with.  I've personally tracked down quite a few products where images didn't exist online previously or exist in any decent quality before.    So I'd make my editorial choices from that pool.   

I really like a lot of the ones I've found - things like an early 70's Slim Jim box - of which there were no photos or scans of one before I found mine.  Love that one.    To be clear, I would not pull from pre-existing images online - that wouldn't interest me, and it wouldn't be any fun (for me, anyway). 

I do not have a 1960's Cap'n Crunch cereal box, for instance, but I also did not find or uncover that original Wacky product - images of those boxes were not impossible to find when I started doing this.  Though the boxes themselves are pretty tough to acquire from collectors.  I'd say you're looking at a minimum of $1,000 for one of those, in middling condition. 

Obviously, there's a good deal of candy that I've exclusively tracked down that matches up with 70's Wackys, so I'd certainly put a good amount of that in. 

Also, I'd be doing this for the original 1-16 series.  Not the 80's or contemporary stuff, nor Old School (though I provided Dave with a good deal of reference packaging pieces for Old School products - so that would be pretty easy :-)  )

Finally, I'd avoid reproducing the Wacky Packages sticker art on these in any marked way.  Perhaps I'd include a small B&W inset of the original sticker on the back - but even that is something I'd try to steer clear of.  I'd choose to avoid ruffling Topps' feathers - I'm far less concerned about Slim Jim coming after me for producing 30 cards with their 40-year-old box art on them.  These would be something that would truly be a complement to existing stickers.  An oddball little thing.

But again, "Actual Packages" is a pet project and idea that I may never do, but I brought it up here, so I welcome the discussion.  And I appreciate the input.

P.S.  I love Jay's idea about doing a 1-for-1 series of "Serious Packages" but I can guarantee you that some of these original Wacky products will never be found.   Even the manufacturers that are still around, many of them don't have their old product reference in any quality reproducible format.  Some do, but I'd say most do not.  That doesn't even cover the ones who are long gone.  So, even if someone were so ambitious as to mount that, the barriers to doing it or doing it right would be huge.   I know this, because it took me nearly ten years to track down a Smith Brothers cough drops box.  And in that same decade I've only ever found a single example of early 70's Slim Jim box, for instance. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:07:52 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »

Now that might be the best idea for a new Wacky set that I have ever heard!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
Jason, cool idea and based on the quality of your 'Zombie Mouth' promo card, it will look awesome!  I think Neil's thought that it would be a fun Wacky Packages 50th anniversary item is right on.  Shoot for Jan 2017 and consider doing 100 sets.  That seems to be a nice number to cover all the forum's hardcore collectors.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »
Jason, cool idea and based on the quality of your 'Zombie Mouth' promo card, it will look awesome!  I think Neil's thought that it would be a fun Wacky Packages 50th anniversary item is right on.  Shoot for Jan 2017 and consider doing 100 sets.  That seems to be a nice number to cover all the forum's hardcore collectors.

I commit to nothing!   :-)

But I do like the timing. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2016, 06:33:47 AM »
...but I can guarantee you that some of these original Wacky products will never be found.   Even the manufacturers that are still around, many of them don't have their old product reference in any quality reproducible format.  Some do, but I'd say most do not.

I can sometimes find original packaging in old magazine ads. Not always the best source, but useful nonetheless.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »
I can sometimes find original packaging in old magazine ads. Not always the best source, but useful nonetheless.

Yeah, some of it is out there in magazines and it certainly is useful for what it is - but not for me and not for this.  That's not the material that excites me, nor is it material I'd use for reproduction on something like this. 

My thing is tracking down and finding the original product packaging.   That's what's fun for me and what's interesting.   And it is the only source material that would prompt me to do something like an "Actual Packages" set.  Anything less would be a debilitating compromise I would be unwilling to make.

For an example, though there were no photos of Wacky era Slim Jim boxes online when I started, there were (and are) small illustrations of the boxes included in the old Slim Jim comic book ads.  And those ads are wonderful (a lot of the them feature monsters like the Wolfman and so on), but they're illustrated (by the always-amazing Jack Davis if I recall), and the illustrations of the boxes are small and poorly printed.  I wouldn't work with that for this, because it would look awful.   

But I would work with an original box, which I tracked down just over six years ago.. and it's the only example of one of these I've ever seen or even known to exist:

Goodmark Inc - Slim Jim - spicy smoked all-beef snacks box - 1970's
by Jason, on Flickr

It is the unique and challenging nature of the original packaging that makes something like this possible, fun and worth doing from my perspective.   I think Rusty's old Wacky site (or someone else's) typically used old magazine ad pics to reference original packages, and they have long been a terrific resource to have something - some kind of image for many original Wackys.   So I don't mean to disparage that.  But that kind of stuff isn't going to have any bearing on this, if it ever happens. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:31:10 AM by JasonLiebig »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »
I know what you're saying. It's kind of like comparing a photocopy to an original painting. I only meant that the ads can be useful for reference. Rock on!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
I know what you're saying. It's kind of like comparing a photocopy to an original painting. I only meant that the ads can be useful for reference. Rock on!

I too understand the difference between finding the original packaging as opposed to an image.  But, I am enjoying seeing the old packaging and products on the BUZZR channel I started getting recently.  Lots of cool stuff on "Let's Make a Deal!"

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
I too understand the difference between finding the original packaging as opposed to an image.  But, I am enjoying seeing the old packaging and products on the BUZZR channel I started getting recently.  Lots of cool stuff on "Let's Make a Deal!"

That's cool.  I recall some point last year where I saw an old 1970's episode of The Price is Right - and that's pretty cool overall, but I found myself obsessing over the grocery products shown.  I'm that kind of nerd.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »
That's cool.  I recall some point last year where I saw an old 1970's episode of The Price is Right - and that's pretty cool overall, but I found myself obsessing over the grocery products shown.  I'm that kind of nerd.

Well, I can't say I have been obsessing over the grocery products, but I do find myself checking out the packaging, and pricing.  They very often have Rice-a-Phoni and Raw Goo Sauce.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »

I do the same when I see old Let's Make a Deal episode -who remembers the products Lolli-Pups and Chung King fried noodles? (not chopsticks!)
A

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
I do the same when I see old Let's Make a Deal episode -who remembers the products Lolli-Pups and Chung King fried noodles? (not chopsticks!)
A

Don't have fried noodles, but I got this (well, they ARE fried - maybe this IS what you meant):

Chun King - Chow Mein Noodles - can label - 1970's
by Jason, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:55:06 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2016, 06:32:10 AM »
I commit to nothing!   :-)

But I do like the timing.
I think you have nailed it with the name "actual packages" even though some other ideas have been offered.  Also think staying with high quality photos is the way to go so if they can only be obtained with pictures of the actual product, then so be it.  Quite surprised it has taken 10 years to find some of these boxes, I had always thought this stuff was squirrled away somewhere.  I bet each company has the images in their archives.  Reaching the person(curator) who has them and convincing them to send you images would prove difficult.  I suspect you only want to use products in your collection and not even high quality images from company archives anyway, correct?

Offline WheeljackDude

« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Hi there.

I dug out some of the images used for the 1991 series --

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:39:53 AM by WheeljackDude »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
I think you have nailed it with the name "actual packages" even though some other ideas have been offered.  Also think staying with high quality photos is the way to go so if they can only be obtained with pictures of the actual product, then so be it.  Quite surprised it has taken 10 years to find some of these boxes, I had always thought this stuff was squirrled away somewhere.  I bet each company has the images in their archives.  Reaching the person(curator) who has them and convincing them to send you images would prove difficult.  I suspect you only want to use products in your collection and not even high quality images from company archives anyway, correct?

Yeah, I like "Actual Packages" the most, too.  :-) 

I've dealt with many companies over the years, and in only a few rare cases do companies have archives of their product packaging.  General Mills is one of the exceptions - they've kept amazing records and have files of most of their cereal boxes and other products.  Their archive is truly a museum.   But on the other hand....lets see...

Nestle:  They've had to reference my site a number of times to answer consumer questions about their own products.  They have virtually nothing in regard to their past product information, let alone actual packaging . 

Wrigley:  I interviewed and worked with the longtime head of marketing and product managers/graphic designers when I researched my history of Big League Chew.  The only thing in Wrigley's files were a few trade flyers and it took a while for those to be found.  Months into the process, a former graphic designer found two sets of photos on an old hard drive (ten images in total) of old packaging from the late 80's and early 90's.  Even the inventors/creators of the brand had nothing - no one involved saved anything.  Currently, my personal Big League Chew packaging archive serves as the sole reference material for current PR/media instances where the old packaging is needed.

Lifesavers:  When they celebrated their 100th Anniversary and created a special celebration box for it, they had to use my Gummi Savers wrapper scan to represent the launch of that product. 

Then there are the acquisition losses.  So many companies now are a conglomeration of other companies.  For instance:  Milk Duds for 80 years were produced by the Holloway company.  That company merged with Clark and was eventually sold to Leaf and then Hershey.  I've spoken to the Hershey Archives many times, and with regard to the Milk Duds brand, they have NOTHING from before 1986.  For anything before that, they have to come to me.  The sad reality is that as companies merge or are bought out or file chapter 11 or 13, if archives happen to have been kept up to that point, they are the first thing to get tossed in the trash. 

One of the saddest phone conversations I had was with the executive who developed the Bubble Yum brand in the early 1970's.  We spoke at length about how it all came to be.  When I asked if he still had any of those old materials/samples he responded that he "carted them with him for 35 years, but finally threw them out just two years ago".  My heart sank to the floor because that unique bit of history had disappeared into a landfill and I had only missed it by two years. 

So the reality is that this material is not, in fact, "squirreled away" as lovely as that idea is.  In most cases, it is in serious danger of being lost to history.   And more and more is lost all the time. 

And as much material as I've found and uncovered over the years, there is so much that has yet to be found, and that may never be.   

That's why it's been fun for me to do this, and when I get to do things like publish the "only known images of Willy Wonka's Nerds Hot and Cool flavor box" -- that's pretty fun.  That product is from 1989, and until I published those images, the only references to the product online at all were hazy recollections referring to them as "Hot and Cold Nerds".   1989 wasn't that long ago.  But I currently have the only known box for that. 

Speaking of nerds... I think I have just definitively proved how much of one I am. 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
Jason - awesome find on the Smith Bros box.  I've done occasional eBay searches for years myself, and the Perfect match has never turned up.  Was beginning to wonder if it really ever existed.

I guess certain packaging graphics changed very slowly or infrequently, Whitman's Candy Sampler being a good example that comes to mind, while others such as Smith Bros maybe for only a few months to a year, before changing again.  Part of it also, I'm sure, is the practicality of saving stuff.  I'm sure the Whitman boxes were seen by many as a convenient storage container, whereas why would one keep a cough drop box.  Without the foresight of Wacky lore, they all get lost to the landfills.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
Yeah, I like "Actual Packages" the most, too.  :-) 

I've dealt with many companies over the years, and in only a few rare cases do companies have archives of their product packaging.  General Mills is one of the exceptions - they've kept amazing records and have files of most of their cereal boxes and other products.  Their archive is truly a museum.   But on the other hand....lets see...

Nestle:  They've had to reference my site a number of times to answer consumer questions about their own products.  They have virtually nothing in regard to their past product information, let alone actual packaging . 

Wrigley:  I interviewed and worked with the longtime head of marketing and product managers/graphic designers when I researched my history of Big League Chew.  The only thing in Wrigley's files were a few trade flyers and it took a while for those to be found.  Months into the process, a former graphic designer found two sets of photos on an old hard drive (ten images in total) of old packaging from the late 80's and early 90's.  Even the inventors/creators of the brand had nothing - no one involved saved anything.  Currently, my personal Big League Chew packaging archive serves as the sole reference material for current PR/media instances where the old packaging is needed.

Lifesavers:  When they celebrated their 100th Anniversary and created a special celebration box for it, they had to use my Gummi Savers wrapper scan to represent the launch of that product. 

Then there are the acquisition losses.  So many companies now are a conglomeration of other companies.  For instance:  Milk Duds for 80 years were produced by the Holloway company.  That company merged with Clark and was eventually sold to Leaf and then Hershey.  I've spoken to the Hershey Archives many times, and with regard to the Milk Duds brand, they have NOTHING from before 1986.  For anything before that, they have to come to me.  The sad reality is that as companies merge or are bought out or file chapter 11 or 13, if archives happen to have been kept up to that point, they are the first thing to get tossed in the trash. 

One of the saddest phone conversations I had was with the executive who developed the Bubble Yum brand in the early 1970's.  We spoke at length about how it all came to be.  When I asked if he still had any of those old materials/samples he responded that he "carted them with him for 35 years, but finally threw them out just two years ago".  My heart sank to the floor because that unique bit of history had disappeared into a landfill and I had only missed it by two years. 

So the reality is that this material is not, in fact, "squirreled away" as lovely as that idea is.  In most cases, it is in serious danger of being lost to history.   And more and more is lost all the time. 

And as much material as I've found and uncovered over the years, there is so much that has yet to be found, and that may never be.   

That's why it's been fun for me to do this, and when I get to do things like publish the "only known images of Willy Wonka's Nerds Hot and Cool flavor box" -- that's pretty fun.  That product is from 1989, and until I published those images, the only references to the product online at all were hazy recollections referring to them as "Hot and Cold Nerds".   1989 wasn't that long ago.  But I currently have the only known box for that. 

Speaking of nerds... I think I have just definitively proved how much of one I am.
wow, fantastic write up!  Very sad so little is squirrled away but I guess in this age of people being worried about being hoarders, purging is the way to go.  When temped at Nabisco in the 1980s, I know they at least had pictures of their old products, don't know if they kept actual packaging.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »

And we thank you for it!  :D  Always fun to read your accounts and, sad as it is to know some of this stuff is being lost to time, it's nice to know some of us (you in particular) are playing no small part in preserving it.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
wow, fantastic write up!  Very sad so little is squirrled away but I guess in this age of people being worried about being hoarders, purging is the way to go.  When temped at Nabisco in the 1980s, I know they at least had pictures of their old products, don't know if they kept actual packaging.

One of the worst stories I ever heard was that of Ovaltine.  Ovaltine had kept voluminous records;  packaging samples, promotional pieces, even going so far as to have the detailed ledgers on radio show contest entries dating back to the 1930's (they had a long relationship with the Annie Oakley show).   Along the way, they became a subsidiary of Nestle.   

Somewhere around 2005-2009, Nestle had still retained the records rooms of Ovaltine.  And in what I can only imagine was a numbers person wondering why there was office space sitting "unused" they opted to dump the entire contents of those two rooms.  Fortunately, they didn't put it directly into a dumpster.  The rooms were emptied onto a few pallets and employees were told to "take what you want - in a week it goes to the dump". 

I know of this story because one employee took as much as he could fit in his car and would later sell most all of that to a dealer I know.   But that's a prime example of what we're talking about.

Of course, even Topps has a history of discarding (or at least not properly taking care of) their heritage.  As most here know, when selling off their original Wacky Packages paintings through the Topps Vault auctions, they weren't keeping high-resolution scans or photos of the pieces.  So that when it came time to source original artwork for the Abrams books, they had to contact the winners of those auctions to get scans where they could.  It's crazy. 

And I've no doubt that Nabisco had "photos of their old products", though I wonder if they had every product photographed.  Most companies have some historical photos, but that's nothing so complete as I would think you'd want.

But to end on an uplifting note - a friend of mine got to tour General Mills' archives just this last summer, and they have file copies of every cereal box they've produced going back to the 1960's at least (not sure how complete the archives are before that).   

So they don't just have a few examples of 1970's Frankenberry boxes for instance; they have an example of every variation - every promotion done - every known Frankenberry box.  I guess we'd call what they have a "master set".  They even have examples of test marketed or concept boxes that were made up but not produced or sold -- even those strange, mythical treasures.  It is everything you'd hope for or want from a company archive, and the few photos I had the pleasure to see were dazzling. 

My favorite:  A cereal based on the "JJ" character from Good Times called Dine-o-mite - in chocolate and strawberry.  Box featured a cartoon version of JJ.  It's something none of us in the cereal hobby had ever heard even a whiff of.  And in the hands of some other company, that tiny bit of history might have been lost, and long forgotten by the few people who ever knew about it. 

https://www.facebook.com/TheCerealBits/photos/a.1012273108806643.1073741826.478172252216734/1012273182139969/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:29:11 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »
Don't have fried noodles, but I got this (well, they ARE fried - maybe this IS what you meant):

Chun King - Chow Mein Noodles - can label - 1970's
by Jason, on Flickr

Yes, that's it, except I remember it in blue and in a smaller tin - Alex

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »
Just posted this one.  It's not an exact match to Jolly Mean Giant (I'm pretty sure there's one out there that IS an exact match), but this can label is from the late 1960's so it's pretty close.

Green Giant - Great Big Tender Sweet Peas - 1 lb 1 oz can label - grocery product packaging - 1960's
by Jason, on Flickr

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »
Hi there.

I dug out some of the images used for the 1991 series --

Cool!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #242 on: February 29, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
Just posted this one.  It's not an exact match to Jolly Mean Giant (I'm pretty sure there's one out there that IS an exact match), but this can label is from the late 1960's so it's pretty close.

Green Giant - Great Big Tender Sweet Peas - 1 lb 1 oz can label - grocery product packaging - 1960's
by Jason, on Flickr

Here is a label that is closer to the parody...

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #243 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:08 PM »
Here is a label that is closer to the parody...

Yep, I know it well, that's from Rusty's site or the other original product one. 

I've been a little skeptical of that one in the past as it looks a little Photoshopped and only includes the partial section of the label, but I assume it's accurate to a real specimen. 

I will say that the version of Green Giant mascot illustration featured on that Rusty version I don't think existed at the time of the Die-Cuts.  Again, I'm not 100% on that, but I think they introduced that version of the mascot in 1969.  I think in 1966-67, he was the version found on my label. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:55:38 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »
Yep, I know it well, that's from Rusty's site or the other original product one. 

I've been a little skeptical of that one in the past as it looks a little Photoshopped and only includes the partial section of the label, but I assume it's accurate to a real specimen. 

I will say that the version of Green Giant mascot illustration featured on that Rusty version I don't think existed at the time of the Die-Cuts.  Again, I'm not 100% on that, but I think they introduced that version of the mascot in 1969.  I think in 1966-67, he was the version found on my label.

While searching for the evolution of the Green Giant, I found this label evolution...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:18:21 AM by Swiski »

anything