Author Topic: Wacky Packages PSA Grading Original Series 1-16  (Read 5195 times)

Offline jeffcaff

Wacky Packages PSA Grading Original Series 1-16
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »
After a year of consideration, I finally decided to submit 100 stickers into PSA for grading.  I wouldn't say that I was extremely disappointed but I was moderately disappointed.    Here is the breakdown:

Stickers below PSA 7:  11 stickers
Stickers at PSA 7 or 8: 61 stickers
Stickers at PSA 9: 22 stickers
Stickers at PSA 10: 1 sticker
PSA not graded due to problems: 5 stickers

I looked at the population report and I have 4 stickers in sole possession of the highest 1/1 grade.  I also have 6 stickers tied with the highest grade. I figure after the cost of the stickers and PSA grading charges along with shipping & handling, I will probably be ahead on 15 of the stickers.  I will break even on about 30 and lose on the remaining 55 stickers.  The next time that I submit stickers, I will really have to look at them in greater detail. My biggest disappointment came with the Series 16 stickers and puzzle pieces.  They graded those extremely tough especially the puzzle pieces. I honestly picked out my best 100 so I probably do not have more than 50 remaining that I even consider grading at this time.  

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: Wacky Packages PSA Grading Original Series 1-16
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
After a year of consideration, I finally decided to submit 100 stickers into PSA for grading.  I wouldn't say that I was extremely disappointed but I was moderately disappointed.    Here is the breakdown:

I looked at the population report and I have 4 stickers in sole possession of the highest 1/1 grade.  I also have 6 stickers tied with the highest grade. I figure after the cost of the stickers and PSA grading charges along with shipping & handling, I will probably be ahead on 15 of the stickers.  I will break even on about 30 and lose on the remaining 55 stickers.  The next time that I submit stickers, I will really have to look at them in greater detail. My biggest disappointment came with the Series 16 stickers and puzzle pieces.  They graded those extremely tough especially the puzzle pieces. I honestly picked out my best 100 so I probably do not have more than 50 remaining that I even consider grading at this time.  

What did it cost you, on average, with the 55 stickers?? Due to your outcome, do you feel that is why so many people are always selling the PSA graded 6-8 on ebay - to recoup their money on a failed/disappointing PSA grading experience?? What is the biggest determinant for a Wacky going from a 8-9 to a 6-7 or lower..( ie OC, discoloration, tracks, etc) ??

thx for sharing...I thought about doing that at one point and found it cost prohibitive.. :P

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

How much did it cost to grade 100 stickers?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »
It was $500.00 for the grading plus about $65.00 in insurance and postage both ways. 

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
It was $500.00 for the grading plus about $65.00 in insurance and postage both ways. 
That is no so bad.  I have piles of high grade cards I have been too lazy to submit.  I know my eye is pretty good as I got all those 8's with my series 1 submissions that had "ST" qualifiers due to wax/gum residue I didn't bother to wipe off.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »
I received 6 graded stickers as PSA9 with ST qualifiers in the Series 16.  I believe the gum stains were on the front so I should be able to wipe them off easily.  I think that I remember using a soft kleenex tissue and I did not damage them.  I may crack the seal, wipe the stain and have them regraded.   Thanks for the advice.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
I don't think 16ths are the best candidates for grading. So many of the examples out there are high grade that there's less of a premium than for, say, a 1st series sticker.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:15:25 AM »
This is good advice.  I am starting to compile a list of the toughest stickers to grade in the original set.  It is interesting that 16th Series has many high graded stickers.  I remember reading that a few unopened cases of the 16th Series were found about 10 years ago. I can only assume that most of these stickers graded extremely high.  Although this is the rarest set, the majority of the stickers graded very high.  Thanks for the input. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
I think that I remember using a soft kleenex tissue and I did not damage them.  I may crack the seal, wipe the stain and have them regraded. 

I use a little detailing brush made out of nylon hairs and it works really well removing gum residue on the fronts.  I've also heard some others use nylon stockings as well.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »
I've also heard some others use nylon stockings as well.
I do.

...oh, you mean on the Wackys?

Offline Kook

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
Are high grade 15th series stickers this rare? I just saw 2 PSA8 15th stickers sell for $150 and $200... Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-VIEW-MONSTER-PSA-8-15TH-SERIES-/220869591769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336cda82d9

Are 15ths that tough in high grade that they should go for so much? I know the Mobsters is a favorite & tough to find well centered & in great shape, but $200 seems a bit excessive. These prices are making me want to get my keeper set graded. Am I missing something here?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:11:07 PM »
Are high grade 15th series stickers this rare? I just saw 2 PSA8 15th stickers sell for $150 and $200... Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-VIEW-MONSTER-PSA-8-15TH-SERIES-/220869591769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336cda82d9

Are 15ths that tough in high grade that they should go for so much? I know the Mobsters is a favorite & tough to find well centered & in great shape, but $200 seems a bit excessive. These prices are making me want to get my keeper set graded. Am I missing something here?

I would say way over priced but maybe I'm wrong as someone did purchase it. PSA8 is a good grade but some people only buy 9's and 10's. It also depends on the title. I paid $15 for a planet of the grapes PSA7 a couple years back. I can't imagine an 8 would go for more than $30. Now a PSA8 Band-Aches should pull in around $400 or so. Again, I'm still considering prices when I was really big into PSA. Didn't Greg sell is PSA9 for around $800?

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
It is a funny thing.  I had my first venture into PSA this past week.  I really have no idea what to expect or how to price things.  I thought I priced things on the higher side but some people purchased them up hours after listing.  Others are still sitting there.  I guess the approach is to list them high and then lower them only a monthly basis until they sell.  They best selling items were the puzzle pieces graded PSA 7 and PSA 8.  I hope that I don't make the "Are these people crazy" list with some of my new items.  Originally, I was disappointed but I guess I did okay.  The only problem is that I now only have about 50 cards or stickers that I would consider grading.