Author Topic: Artist's Sketch Cards of Characters they created  (Read 3249 times)

Online Joe G.

Artist's Sketch Cards of Characters they created
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
For some reason I think it's cool to have a sketch card from an artist of a character they created.  I'm most interested in original series but this list could easily to expanded to include the new material (which would expand it greatly).  I just begun thinking about this and here's what I have so far:

Old School 1:
Artist: Jay Lynch
Sketches of Characters he created:  Pupsi, Umbrella, Aquax
Possibles:  Cap'n Crud, Ajerx, Chicken Fat, Fish Bone, Kook*

Old School 2:
Artist: Jay Lynch
Sketches of Characters he created: IOU, Mr. Faulty
Possibles: Gurgle, Blunder, Plastered Peanut*

Artist: Bill Griffith
Sketches of Characters he created: Generally Demented

* There are others that he or Bill or Bhob may have done.  Does anyone know who created Dr. Popper, Dr. Ono, Dums, Wormy Packages, Hostile Thinkies, Scary Lee, Playskull, Milk Foam, Blue Beanie, Jerkitol or Ghoul Humor?

I know this list just touches the surface, would love to see what other forum members could add.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
Re: Artist's Sketch Cards of Characters they created
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
Well, "create" is a strong word.  Blue Beanie was created by Stan Hart and Wally wood... Back when JFK was president...for a Topps series that never came out.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
The following were created by Art Spiegelman, as I recall:  Capn' Crud, Ajerx, Chicken Fat, Fish Bone, Kook, Gurgle, Plastered Peanut...and most, if not all of the first few series.

Blunder Bread was created by Kim Deitch.

Griffith did Kentucky Fried Fingers, and a bunch of others.

Bhob did that Wilkinson's sword one and a bunch of others.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
The ones I did in the year of l973 that I saved xeroxes of are archived here  http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/index.html

There once was another archive on the web of the color roughs I did back in the '70s that survived.  I don't think that it's still on the web, though.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Well, "create" is a strong word.  Blue Beanie was created by Stan Hart and Wally wood... Back when JFK was president...for a Topps series that never came out.

Jay, thanks for sharing this bit of history. I really like it! Do you have any more in the archives to share?

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »
...and all the others you mention in the last sentences of your letter would be Spiegelman ones...as far as I can recall.  

Incidentally, I just got a preview copy of Art's new book METAMAUS in the mail the other day.  This is an autobiographal book where Art speaks of some of the stuff he did before MAUS and during the creation of MAUS, including the years he worked at Topps.  A few of his old Wacky roughs are printed in color in this book.  METAMAUS comes out in early October.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
The Blue Beanie one is from a series of parodies of newspapers that Topps was gonna do.  They were newspaper parodies with ads and stuff.  This project was done while JFK was president...so they contained lots of JFK gags.  You know what happened then.  The series never came out, and 5 years later when Wackys were devised, at least Hart's Blue Beanie gag saw the light of day.  There were a few other Hart ad parody gags that became Wackys too.  I think I have xeroxes of some of this early stuff somewhere.  Bhob may as well.  But neither of us can ever find stuff easily.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
Jay, thanks so much for sharing all this.  I know that you had worked on the Wacky Ads so my initial list of possibles was all from that series.  The story of Blue Beanie is fascinating and I imagine unique in Wacky history.  Wally Wood's artwork is great as well.  It's a shame Wally never did any Wackys!  About my use of the word 'created', your right it is too strong, perhaps initiated is better?

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »
Lots of times Len Brown would come up with the name of the parodied product, and I would draw a rough of it.   In the Wacky billboards thing I did Poopsie Cola...later I did Pupsi cola...At the beginning of the Billboard project, Bhob sent me a xerox of Spiegelman's  rough for the Kook billboard.  So I guess I did a bunch of the billboard ones....but I can't remember which ones without looking at the final printed things. 

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »
Lots of times Len Brown would come up with the name of the parodied product, and I would draw a rough of it.   In the Wacky billboards thing I did Poopsie Cola...later I did Pupsi cola...At the beginning of the Billboard project, Bhob sent me a xerox of Spiegelman's  rough for the Kook billboard.  So I guess I did a bunch of the billboard ones....but I can't remember which ones without looking at the final printed things. 

Jay - your work is awesome...very nice meeting you @ the last show..my duaghter feels priveldged that you signed the poster to both of us and her siblings are totally jealous!!

Wally Wood was a master - I read all his stuff in the old MAD magazines...i knew he was awesome then - when I was just 10!! ( hey that rhymes!)

anything