Author Topic: WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread  (Read 235942 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »
I think the sketch cards have waned a bit already. I know I have slowed to a crawl and a few of the other big sketch collectors have slowed down as well. I can't wait to see what the artists have come up with this batch of sketches. Can't wait to see the characters they chose.

I know the sketches have slowed somewhat but I don't think they will die out completely.  I just think there's a limit to how much we can or are willing to keep spending on them!   

I am going to try to be patient and not go on a buying spree early on.  If the past 2 series are any indication we should have no problem getting ones we want even several months after the release, and much cheaper.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
I'm thinking (and hoping) that they have added some variations such as Ludlows that will go in packs.  To me Old School has been terrific so far but its only flaw is that up to this point there hasn't been much incentive to crack open your packs after the first box or two, and it takes some of the fun out of it for me.  If there were some reason beyond the base set and puzzle to open your packs that would increase the fun factor a great deal for me. 

I believe Dave already stated there will be incentive to crack open packs this time around.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2011, 07:26:52 AM »
I know the sketches have slowed somewhat but I don't think they will die out completely.  I just think there's a limit to how much we can or are willing to keep spending on them!   

I am going to try to be patient and not go on a buying spree early on.  If the past 2 series are any indication we should have no problem getting ones we want even several months after the release, and much cheaper.

I don't think they will die out completely. I don't know what my collecting strategy will be with OLDS3. I ended up with about 220 sketches from OLDS2. I know 2 other collectors that each collected 400+ or maybe it's 500+. It was a crazy run.
The thing that could set OLDS3 sketches apart from the previous 2 is the Jay Lynch wild card factor. If Jay did all unique sketches then this series could get really crazy for collectors. I'm excited to see what shows up.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »
                                  quote author=BumChex link=topic=1611.msg39538#msg39538 date=1324394812
                                                  KEWL....... between you and me we own about 220 sketches
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
I don't think they will die out completely. I don't know what my collecting strategy will be with OLDS3. I ended up with about 220 sketches from OLDS2. I know 2 other collectors that each collected 400+ or maybe it's 500+. It was a crazy run.
The thing that could set OLDS3 sketches apart from the previous 2 is the Jay Lynch wild card factor. If Jay did all unique sketches then this series could get really crazy for collectors. I'm excited to see what shows up.

Unfortunately Jay did not do sketches this time around (well, a handful but I'm not sure they will be included). He is sketch card burned out. However there will still be tons of unique sketches from the other artists. Maybe Jay will do some for the next series.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
Unfortunately Jay did not do sketches this time around (well, a handful but I'm not sure they will be included). He is sketch card burned out. However there will still be tons of unique sketches from the other artists. Maybe Jay will do some for the next series.

Good to know...can you divulge how many artists did sketches this time?? color? - so no OS Wacky characters??

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »
REALLY? Man, I was so looking forward to seeing what Jay came up with. Damn!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »

That is a disappointment. I thought i read somewhere on here (que for someone to start looking) that Jay wasnt going to have the OUTLINED sketches this time around, and that he had free rein over OLS 3 sketches. I guess somewhere in there it sounded easier than done.  :'(

Jay will be missed, but if the OLS 3 sketches are anything like the recent Monster sketches, it should be interesting to see what they come up with.  :o 

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
Are we going to have to sign into our Topps' accounts to do orders? Because I have been having issues getting my e-mail address updated and feel like I've been banging my head against the wall. Dave, not criticizing you, but I know I've talked to you and am worried I will miss out on pre-orders because of this issue with my Topps account. I only planning to order one box, so I hope there's not going to be an issue with doing a pre-order.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
Good to know...can you divulge how many artists did sketches this time?? color? - so no OS Wacky characters??

There are 15 original series characters and 5 Old School. Lots more color sketches this time though I can't say how many. Sketch cards by Camera, Wheaton, Engstrom, Parisi, Zeleznik, Zapata, Smokin Joe, Simko, Kirscht, Walton, Stewart & Griffith. I cannot say how many by each (that, and I really don't know because the numbers changed so much when Jay had to drop out).

Hopefully we can talk Jay into doing them again next series after he has some recharging time. Even if it's just a few hundred.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »
Are we going to have to sign into our Topps' accounts to do orders? Because I have been having issues getting my e-mail address updated and feel like I've been banging my head against the wall. Dave, not criticizing you, but I know I've talked to you and am worried I will miss out on pre-orders because of this issue with my Topps account. I only planning to order one box, so I hope there's not going to be an issue with doing a pre-order.

You will have to call Toppsvault as I don't know anything about this stuff.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2011, 05:36:35 AM »
There are 15 original series characters and 5 Old School. Lots more color sketches this time though I can't say how many. Sketch cards by Camera, Wheaton, Engstrom, Parisi, Zeleznik, Zapata, Smokin Joe, Simko, Kirscht, Walton, Stewart & Griffith. I cannot say how many by each (that, and I really don't know because the numbers changed so much when Jay had to drop out).

Hopefully we can talk Jay into doing them again next series after he has some recharging time. Even if it's just a few hundred.

Dave,

You didn't do any?? sounds good on the color ones?? Too Bad about Jay?? does that mean his OLDS 1 & 2 sketches go up in value??  ;D ;D - that might be a good thing... :P

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »
Dave,

You didn't do any?? sounds good on the color ones?? Too Bad about Jay?? does that mean his OLDS 1 & 2 sketches go up in value??  ;D ;D - that might be a good thing... :P

I just finished my painting on Saturday so I did not do any cards. Then on Monday I redid one of the pieces on my own because I saw I had used the wrong packaging for the era. That would have bugged the heck out of me forever.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I will be spoiling later tonight.

No images or titles but I will LYK what will be included in the box.

I'll also be sending out a mass email announcing the pre-sale for the 29th with this same info.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »

I hope Jay will return next series as well.  I really enjoy his sketches.  The fact that they are so plentiful makes the prices affordable, which is great, but not representative of the quality work he does.  I will look forward, though, to getting sketches from other artists this series.  Nice to hear that there are more color sketches!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
I will be spoiling later tonight.

That always gets our attention           ;D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »

Sorry to hear this, but I can understand that Jay's been sketched-out.  Quite honestly, I'd rather he rest than resort to sketch cards with a template already printed on the card - when Jay gets going on his own, we get the great stuff he produced for the recent Halloween postcard set!  But, if he DID do a handful already, why not include them?  That would be a great chase item.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
Sorry to hear this, but I can understand that Jay's been sketched-out.  Quite honestly, I'd rather he rest than resort to sketch cards with a template already printed on the card - when Jay gets going on his own, we get the great stuff he produced for the recent Halloween postcard set!  But, if he DID do a handful already, why not include them?  That would be a great chase item.

Your wish is my command! Jay did 20 super detailed cards and those WILL be included in the boxes. Sorry, I thought they were not going to put them in.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
Wacky Packages Old School 3 info:

Pre-sale begins Thursday, December 29th at 12noon (EST) and ends Saturday, December 31st at 9pm (EST). The first 24 hours will be limited to 6 boxes per person. After that you can buy as many as you want while supplies last. I expect this will alleviate all issues with getting boxes the first day and people who want to buy multiple boxes over 6 will still be able to do so.

Pre-sale boxes will cost $44.95. You will get free shipping for 2 boxes or more purchased. So note that if you are a person that wants to buy many boxes but are nervous about not getting any on day 1 you can buy 6 of them that day since the shipping is free either way.

Topps will be including some bonus material in the shipping boxes. I do not know what this is.

Regular boxes will go on sale in mid January at the price of $49.95.

The Series:

24 packs per box with 4 stickers and 1 checklist per pack (up from 3 stickers the previous series)

33 all-new parody stickers featuring products from the 1970s which will come in tan backs, white backs and LUDLOW backs. Whites and Luds will be a bit harder to complete.

9 piece puzzle checklist featuring a Topps product

10 sticker subset titled "Wacky 1967" which will feature 9 of the classic alternative diecuts that never made it to series 1. These will all have tan, white and ludlow backs which are backs these titles should have had had they been used in series 1. The 10th sticker will be a lost Norm Saunders Wacky Packages diecut never before available as a sticker. I'm sure most people here will know what that is without me saying it. There will also be a sticker checklist for this series. These will be IN PACKS.

Series 4 promo mini sticker (now included IN PACKS, available as tan, white & Ludlow)

Series 3 box art sticker (IN PACKS, available as tan, white & Ludlow)

Series 3 logo stickers (3 different) (IN PACKS, available as tan, white & Ludlow)

Giant (approx) 24 x 36 Wall Poster by Brent Engstrom featuring spaces to affix each of the 33 Old School titles to create an awesome Wacky Packages theme.

Sketch card by one of 13 Wacky Packages artists: Jay Lynch, Bill Griffith, Bhob Stewart, Brent Engstom, Neil Camera, Fred Wheaton, Joe Simko, Mark Parisi, Matthew Kirscht, Smokin Joe McWilliams, Jeff Zapata, Colin Walton and John Zeleznik.
- Sketch cards will NOT be in packs but in their own special envelope in the box
- There will be more color sketches this series

Lastly, there MAY be an additional rare item but that is still being debated. It would be a GOLDEN opportunity for someone. Hope to know before the pre-sale. 50/50 chance at this point.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:03:01 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
BTW, I sent out a mass email with this info. A of the messages failed to be delivered. Lots to Yahoo accounts. If you have a Yahoo account check your spam and/or maybe LMK if you got it so I know if that failure message I got was a mistake.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
                                          quote author=slamjim link=topic=1611.msg39590#msg39590 date=1324506979
                                                                   Fantastic work my walls are really filling up!!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Wow, you guys have outdone yourselves on this new set !  It sounds great.  I'm already salivating at the thought of completing the 67Lud set ! :bravo_2:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »
Bravo Dave (and Topps)!!  It sounds like you nailed this one with the format and chasers.  Now killing packs will be a blast too, and it sounds like there are plenty of chasers to keep the completists like me busy for a while!  Now I can't wait for this series to release.  There's so much right with this series I wouldn't even know what else to add to it.

Good job!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #198 on: December 21, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Now we will get a rush when opening pack after pack of OS.   Very good news. Thanks for all your efforts Dave. Very cool to see OS evolve.

DrDeal

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #199 on: December 21, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »
I will be spoiling later tonight. ...

Perhaps sitting in the refrigerator will slow the process.   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #200 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
WOW! REALLY looking forward to opening pack after pack of these. Outstanding work and thanks for keeping us in the loop, Dave!  :great:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
I may have to upgrade my 3-box rule to 6 boxes now.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
BTW, I sent out a mass email with this info. A of the messages failed to be delivered. Lots to Yahoo accounts. If you have a Yahoo account check your spam and/or maybe LMK if you got it so I know if that failure message I got was a mistake.

i rec'd it no problem - not yahoo email thx

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2011, 06:19:53 AM »
Will there be a binder for OLDS3?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
Wacky Packages Old School 3 info:

Pre-sale begins Thursday, December 29th at 12noon (EST) and ends Saturday, December 31st at 9pm (EST). The first 24 hours will be limited to 6 boxes per person. After that you can buy as many as you want while supplies last. I expect this will alleviate all issues with getting boxes the first day and people who want to buy multiple boxes over 6 will still be able to do so.

Pre-sale boxes will cost $44.95. You will get free shipping for 2 boxes or more purchased. So note that if you are a person that wants to buy many boxes but are nervous about not getting any on day 1 you can buy 6 of them that day since the shipping is free either way.

Topps will be including some bonus material in the shipping boxes. I do not know what this is.

Regular boxes will go on sale in mid January at the price of $49.95.

The Series:

24 packs per box with 4 stickers and 1 checklist per pack (up from 3 stickers the previous series)

33 all-new parody stickers featuring products from the 1970s which will come in tan backs, white backs and LUDLOW backs. Whites and Luds will be a bit harder to complete.

9 piece puzzle checklist featuring a Topps product

10 sticker subset titled "Wacky 1967" which will feature 9 of the classic alternative diecuts that never made it to series 1. These will all have tan, white and ludlow backs which are backs these titles should have had had they been used in series 1. The 10th sticker will be a lost Norm Saunders Wacky Packages diecut never before available as a sticker. I'm sure most people here will know what that is without me saying it. There will also be a sticker checklist for this series. These will be IN PACKS.

Series 4 promo mini sticker (now included IN PACKS, available as tan, white & Ludlow)

Series 3 box art sticker (IN PACKS, available as tan, white & Ludlow)

Series 3 logo stickers (3 different) (IN PACKS, available as tan, white & Ludlow)

Giant (approx) 24 x 36 Wall Poster by Brent Engstrom featuring spaces to affix each of the 33 Old School titles to create an awesome Wacky Packages theme.

Sketch card by one of 13 Wacky Packages artists: Jay Lynch, Bill Griffith, Bhob Stewart, Brent Engstom, Neil Camera, Fred Wheaton, Joe Simko, Mark Parisi, Matthew Kirscht, Smokin Joe McWilliams, Jeff Zapata, Colin Walton and John Zeleznik.
- Sketch cards will NOT be in packs but in their own special envelope in the box
- There will be more color sketches this series

Lastly, there MAY be an additional rare item but that is still being debated. It would be a GOLDEN opportunity for someone. Hope to know before the pre-sale. 50/50 chance at this point.

Dave,

Sheer awesomeness!!!great job...can't wait...
Question: It will be free shipping for ALL boxes ordered between the 29th and 31st?? Right??

No Binder this time around??...it would be a good move to house all three variation sets - Tan/White/Ludlow...
BTW BLACK or RED LUDLOW!! or if its a surprise then so be it!! thx again!! ;D

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »
Will there be a binder for OLDS3?

the wrapper that Dave posted has an ad for the Binder on it. Unless that's just a push for the older binders?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:48:39 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »
the wrapper that Dave posted has an ad for the Binder on it. Unless that's just a push for the older binders?

if that's true that would be cool... :o :o Dave pls confirm...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
I may have to upgrade my 3-box rule to 6 boxes now.

Funny!

I attempt to employ various self-restraint methodologies, but when purchasing limits change, my steel reinforced boundaries turn to Jell-O, as I begin to rationalize why I need to buy more than before.

These spoilers weaken my moral resolve.

Prepare for riots in the streets

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
Dave,

Sheer awesomeness!!!great job...can't wait...
Question: It will be free shipping for ALL boxes ordered between the 29th and 31st?? Right??

No Binder this time around??...it would be a good move to house all three variation sets - Tan/White/Ludlow...
BTW BLACK or RED LUDLOW!! or if its a surprise then so be it!! thx again!! ;D

It's in the post: Free shipping on 2 or more boxes

There is a new binder with a 3rd series wrapper. Forgot to mention that. Will send that in the next email next week.

I'm not sure on the Lud color. I actually forgot to ask that. I will leave it as a surprise (for me as well since I have everything spoiled usually).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #209 on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »

No, definitely a new binder and new wax wrapper.

anything