Author Topic: WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread  (Read 235945 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Re: WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
That is on hold. Between OLDS, Postcards, ANS and some other projects for the coming year they feel it would be Wacky (and wallet) overload.

Thanks for the info, Dave.  While I would be OK with buying large-sized sets of the OLDS sets, I can appreciate having a break for my wallet.  I do hope there will be some Wacky items for the new year (other than the ANS, OLDS, and postcards; not that there's anything wrong with any of those).  I do enjoy things like the books and erasers.  I'd still love to see Wacky pint glasses and should probably email 'Toon Tumblers again and push for them to make some.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
Thanks, feeling better.

No, it's just a window so that everyone has a chance to get at least the six boxes before the people who would like to buy 10, 25, 50, 100 or whatever shut them out. It should make everyone happy as everyone will get exactly what they wanted to get. It's also starting early in the day so people can order at work or at home later without fear of missing out.

The boxes are cheaper and there will be free shipping for buying a certain amount of boxes. They will also be tossing in some promos and possibly other stuff. I won't know details on this stuff for a week or two.

Glad to hear you're felling better and thanks for all the info. This is gonna be awesome !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
This news is exciting. Hopefully Dave will be able to give us a little more detail about the inserts and such other than the obvious sketch cards.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
Here is the box:

Wow, how cool is that box! I love the black box and yellow packs..it looks totally awesome. That's interesting that it now says $3 per pack on the box instead of $2 per pack like Old School 2.

Best, Fats

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »
Wow, how cool is that box! I love the black box and yellow packs..it looks totally awesome. That's interesting that it now says $3 per pack on the box instead of $2 per pack like Old School 2.

Best, Fats
that's an S, not a $
Series 1 = S1
Series 2 = S2
Series 3 = S3
etc.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »

Best, Fats

That's crazy. They will never sell for $3 a pack. Oh, and I suppose it will be $4 a pack with the next series. Dave is just a money grubbing cotton headed ninnymuggins! :85:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
That's crazy. They will never sell for $3 a pack. Oh, and I suppose it will be $4 a pack with the next series. Dave is just a money grubbing cotton headed ninnymuggins! :85:

The price thing is funny. It's sold as a full box with all the extras. I have no idea how people think there is a pack price.

Of course, if there was, I would not be making anything extra for any increase. I'm just a lowly freelancer.  :'(

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Black seems an odd, muted choice. A green box would be complimentary to the yellow wrappers. I know they used black a couple of times in the 70's but it seems to go against the colorful nature of the brand. Maybe it's symbolic of depressed times, lack of consumer confidence and fears of 2012?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
Black seems an odd, muted choice. A green box would be complimentary to the yellow wrappers. I know they used black a couple of times in the 70's but it seems to go against the colorful nature of the brand. Maybe it's symbolic of depressed times, lack of consumer confidence and fears of 2012?

Don't be Debbie Downer.. Wha wha :]

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
Black is a fanstatic choice in highlighting the colors of the packs and the titles on the box.  Colorful boxes can take away attention from the titles.  Wackys with a black backdrop display wonderfully!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
Black is a fanstatic choice in highlighting the colors of the packs and the titles on the box.  Colorful boxes can take away attention from the titles.  Wackys with a black backdrop display wonderfully!

I love the black, too. The contrast is eye-catching and makes the colors pop. The images jump right off the paper, almost like a low budget 3D effect.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:22:05 AM by Gurgle »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

Black is one of my favorites from the OS. We still have orange, green, blue and white to go so they will all (hopefully) get used!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »
Black is a fanstatic choice in highlighting the colors of the packs and the titles on the box.  Colorful boxes can take away attention from the titles.  Wackys with a black backdrop display wonderfully!

All those in favor of black, Say I, Any opposed. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »

All those in favor of black, Say I, Any opposed. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

I, Aye and eye.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »
Black is one of my favorites from the OS. We still have orange, green, blue and white to go so they will all (hopefully) get used!
awww, no love for the indigo with rainbow outline?

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »
Black seems an odd, muted choice. A green box would be complimentary to the yellow wrappers.
It's identical to the 11th series. just like the previous two matched exactly to original series.
hmm. 11th. Maybe that means the 'old friend' could be magazine titles??

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
Here is the box:

Bumblebee Man is loving the new box/pack color combination!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »

I’m not too particular about the box color. The black is not one of my favorites.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
I’m not too particular about the box color. The black is not one of my favorites.

(Image removed from quote.)

That eye twitch cant be good, I would have it looked at.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
Don't be Debbie Downer.. Wha wha :]
I don't dislike black. I'm just commenting on it. I thought my references to end times and the depression were pretty wacky.

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »

The boxes are cheaper and there will be free shipping for buying a certain amount of boxes.

This Just In From Topps:

* - Please Note - The "Free" Shipping Offer Is Only Valid On Purchases Of 7 Boxes Or More Purchased In A Single Transaction During The First 24 Hours Of The Pre-Sale!  

Any Boxes Purchased AFTER The First 24 Hours Or In Transactions Of Less Than 7 Boxes Will Not Count Towards The Free Shipping Offer.  

Important! - There Will Also Be A STRICT Limit Of 6 Boxes Per Household During The First 24 Hours!  After The First 24 Hours Of The Pre-Sale You May Purchase As Many Boxes As You Would Like, Just Don't Expect Free Shipping.

GOTCHA!!!

I'm Am Bored And Just Having A Bit Of Pre-Sale Fun With You Guys, And Girls.  None Of The Above Is True, Except That They MAY Be Offering Free Shipping If You Buy A Certain Number Of Boxes (Probably 6!)!

Merry Christmas!!!  Feliz Navidad!!!  Happy Chanukah!!!  Happy Yule!!!  Happy Kwanza!!!  Have A Very Happy And Safe New Year!!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:55:37 PM by wackygarbage »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2011, 01:41:46 AM »
Uh, yeah, ignore everything said above. I'll get the facts soon on this. Most likely mid-week.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »
awww, no love for the indigo with rainbow outline?

I was just doing off the top of my head. Yep, that too. Maybe a 16th style box?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2011, 01:45:24 AM »
It's identical to the 11th series. just like the previous two matched exactly to original series.
hmm. 11th. Maybe that means the 'old friend' could be magazine titles??

There is a good chance there will be at least one magazine title though that was not the old friend I was referring to. In fact there will be quite a few old friends.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
There is a good chance there will be at least one magazine title though that was not the old friend I was referring to. In fact there will be quite a few old friends.

Ludlow's?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »
I'm digging the black box, eager to find out about the "extras" in this series, and planning on buying my boxes in the pre-sale. Wacky fun!  :great:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
Ludlow's?

I'm thinking (and hoping) that they have added some variations such as Ludlows that will go in packs.  To me Old School has been terrific so far but its only flaw is that up to this point there hasn't been much incentive to crack open your packs after the first box or two, and it takes some of the fun out of it for me.  If there were some reason beyond the base set and puzzle to open your packs that would increase the fun factor a great deal for me. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
\

eh
[/quote

That's telling us Jim-LOL.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
I, Aye and eye.

Thank you for your vote Scot.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
I'm thinking (and hoping) that they have added some variations such as Ludlows that will go in packs.  To me Old School has been terrific so far but its only flaw is that up to this point there hasn't been much incentive to crack open your packs after the first box or two, and it takes some of the fun out of it for me.  If there were some reason beyond the base set and puzzle to open your packs that would increase the fun factor a great deal for me. 

I'm not saying I'm against this whole idea.  But I am still enamored with the original concept of old school, which was, at least to my eye, something that most folks wouldn't feel the need to buy more than a couple of boxes.  Due to no chase cards, etc.  I always thought that's why production was limited, and the price was premium (yet still surprisingly cheap).

I can't imagine anyone predicted that collectors were going to be buying dozens of boxes in a quest to complete "sets" of sketches.

The, I'd assume unexpected, craze for sketches is probably partially responsible form the need to up the production numbers. But now, I worry that there could be moves to justify those production numbers as a  response to a need (multi-box-buying sketch collectors) that may, or may not, still exist.   In doing so, Old School could move more and more away from it's original intent.

In spite of these concerns of mine, I cant help but get excited about the fun bits that have been added to the Old School mix.   So, I suppose, it may simply be that even a product meant to be "old school", can't afford to be blindly slavish to the exact way that things were done 30 and 40 years ago.  And if that's the case, it is not the end of the world.

I am super excited about this series.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
I'm not saying I'm against this whole idea.  But I am still enamored with the original concept of old school, which was, at least to my eye, something that most folks wouldn't feel the need to buy more than a couple of boxes.  Due to no chase cards, etc.  I always thought that's why production was limited, and the price was premium (yet still surprisingly cheap).

I can't imagine anyone predicted that collectors were going to be buying dozens of boxes in a quest to complete "sets" of sketches.

The, I'd assume unexpected, craze for sketches is probably partially responsible form the need to up the production numbers. But now, I worry that there could be moves to justify those production numbers as a  response to a need (multi-box-buying sketch collectors) that may, or may not, still exist.   In doing so, Old School could move more and more away from it's original intent.

In spite of these concerns of mine, I cant help but get excited about the fun bits that have been added to the Old School mix.   So, I suppose, it may simply be that even a product meant to be "old school", can't afford to be blindly slavish to the exact way that things were done 30 and 40 years ago.  And if that's the case, it is not the end of the world.

I am super excited about this series.

I think like you said the sketch cards drive the multiple box purchases, which without them you would have to wonder if and when they would sell out.  They may eventually sell out but not nearly as fast.  If you have someone buying 50 boxes and now only wants a couple, that has a big affect on sales, because there are a lot of buyers who have bought a lot more than 2 boxes.  My point is that even though I think the sketch cards will wane a bit I also think they are here to stay, and adding something other than base sets in the packs would add to the whole experience, and also help with the incentive to buy more than just a couple boxes.  

When we were kids we didn't need the chasers, and even if we had them we would probably be frustrated because we couldn't afford them.  Actually, we did kind of have chasers with things such as Ludlows and error cards, but they were unintentional and went unnoticed to many of us.  
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
I think like you said the sketch cards drive the multiple box purchases, which without them you would have to wonder if and when they would sell out.  They may eventually sell out but not nearly as fast.  If you have someone buying 50 boxes and now only wants a couple, that has a big affect on sales, because there are a lot of buyers who have bought a lot more than 2 boxes.  My point is that even though I think the sketch cards will wane a bit I also think they are here to stay, and adding something other than base sets in the packs would add to the whole experience, and also help with the incentive to buy more than just a couple boxes.  

When we were kids we didn't need the chasers, and even if we had them we would probably be frustrated because we couldn't afford them.  Actually, we did kind of have chasers with things such as Ludlows and error cards, but they were unintentional and went unnoticed to many of us.  

I think the sketch cards have waned a bit already. I know I have slowed to a crawl and a few of the other big sketch collectors have slowed down as well. I can't wait to see what the artists have come up with this batch of sketches. Can't wait to see the characters they chose.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
Bumblebee Man is loving the new box/pack color combination!

LOL - Y telemundo tambien.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »

"I" Brother Shoe "I"