Author Topic: WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread  (Read 235944 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
Greeting all. I have been Internet-less for the past 25 days due to finally moving from New Brunswick after 25 years. Very weird not having full access (I had some with a phone). Anyway, some beginning Old School 3 news:

I just sent in a painting which will show up in Non-Sport Update in October. That should be the first released image.

The series is expected out in late November/ early December.

Still going to have a sketch in every box. Box count will remain at 5000. Still no wax wrappers but the new wrappers will be nicer. You will want to open extra packs this time.

Lots of new surprises including the return of an old friend...

Offline DrDeal

Re: WP Old School 3 - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:08:27 AM »
That's great news. Old friends are always welcome.

DrDeal

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:22:35 AM »
That's great news. Old friends are always welcome.

DrDeal
Really.......Go Figure
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:50:43 AM »
Hey Dave, that's awesome news! :great:

Can't wait to see that snippet.

pauly

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:55:23 AM »
Greeting all. I have been Internet-less for the past 25 days due to finally moving from New Brunswick after 25 years. Very weird not having full access (I had some with a phone). Anyway, some beginning Old School 3 news:

I just sent in a painting which will show up in Non-Sport Update in October. That should be the first released image.

Still going to have a sketch in every box. Box count will remain at 5000. Still no wax wrappers but the new wrappers will be nicer. You will want to open extra packs this time.

Any plans to put something in the packs other than the base stickers and checklists?  I think it would be a great move to collate in something to encourage pack cracking instead of stacking boxes after the sketch cards have been pulled.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »

Gum?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »

Thanks for the update, Dave.  Always good to get a little teaser.  And I'm glad to hear that the target date is before the holidays.  I'm pleased to hear that each box will still have a sketch.  I'm sure you've debated other options, but I really do like the Old School "formula" and wouldn't want to see it changed too much.

I just got the latest Non-Sport Update magazine less than a week ago and it's a bi-monthly magazine.  I'm guessing then that the image you've passed on to NSU won't be out until November or is my math off?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
Gum?
That's what came to my mind first...

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
I still say no need for all the packs to be in wax wrappers. Just the bonus cards in a wrapper instead of the envelope. If the "old friend" is gum, well she would go nice in that wax wrapper. Prolly to late for 3 but if 4 were ever to be in the works...

Taz

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
That's what came to my mind first...

What would be cool is if they could press the shape of wacky characters into the gum, if it ain't worth the hassle to collect then at least you can have fun chewing the gum.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
A little change to my original post. I misheard what the first image would be for. It will be in Non-Sport Update but I think that is in November not October. However, they are making a promo card of it for the Philly Show.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
Any plans to put something in the packs other than the base stickers and checklists?  I think it would be a great move to collate in something to encourage pack cracking instead of stacking boxes after the sketch cards have been pulled.

Yep, I feel all packs will get opened this time around.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
but I really do like the Old School "formula" and wouldn't want to see it changed too much.

It's been changed up a bit this time but more so about how it's all delivered. The box will still be chock full of stuff. No changes to the sketch cards and Jay is drawing all of his by hand this time.

I just got the latest Non-Sport Update magazine less than a week ago and it's a bi-monthly magazine.  I'm guessing then that the image you've passed on to NSU won't be out until November or is my math off?

Yes, my mistake. It's for the next issue. There is a promo card in a few weeks at the Philly show (which will have our very own Fred Wheaton as a guest).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Gum?

I want to keep mum about content for now. So this is not a confirmation or denial of anything.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »

Where did you move to?  Still in NJ?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »
Where did you move to?  Still in NJ?

Yes, I am now in Collingswood. About 15 minutes from Philly still on the Jersey side.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
Yes, I am now in Collingswood. About 15 minutes from Philly still on the Jersey side.

Are you planning on going to the Philly show Dave?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
Yes, my mistake. It's for the next issue. There is a promo card in a few weeks at the Philly show (which will have our very own Fred Wheaton as a guest).
[/quote]

I hope someone can pick up a promo card or two for those of us who won't be able to make it out to Philly for the show.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

I hope someone can pick up a promo card or two for those of us who won't be able to make it out to Philly for the show.

Was just reading this thread and I would love to go on the list for a couple of promo cards from the show. Philly is a bit too far from Colorado yet again this year! :)

Dave: Excellent news on OS3 -- really looking forward to this one!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
Are you planning on going to the Philly show Dave?

I would like to go on Saturday. Depends on how far along I am on the paintings. I am currently behind due to the move.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
I guess I should also mention before someone asks: Yes, there will be a pre-sale again. This time it will be when we know everything is being printed and the sketch cards are in. We also have worked out the kinks in the process (hopefully).

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
I guess I should also mention before someone asks: Yes, there will be a pre-sale again. This time it will be when we know everything is being printed and the sketch cards are in. We also have worked out the kinks in the process (hopefully).
eh, it's not so much a question of the pre-sale itself - what we really all want to know is if there will be advance notice on the advance notice for the advance notice of the pre-sale  ;)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
eh, it's not so much a question of the pre-sale itself - what we really all want to know is if there will be advance notice on the advance notice for the advance notice of the pre-sale  ;)

I will advance notice that decision later just in time to advance notice what I expect to be an advance notice.

Taz

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
This is wonderful news.  We will have Olds 3 for Christmas this year.  My kids are ecstatic!  Thanks Dave.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
I will advance notice that decision later just in time to advance notice what I expect to be an advance notice.

OS3 by year's end would be great....  :o

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Really.......Go Figure

Dear DPV,   Thank you for your caustic remark. You make this site a better place.

Regards, DrDeal

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
Dear DPV,   Thank you for your caustic remark. You make this site a better place.

Regards, DrDeal
Sarcastic not caustic             Regards DPV
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
Awesome to hear that the tradition can hopefully continue with the Olds Series. It seems to have taken a life of its own as an Internet only item. Lets hope that it continues to sell well for many years to come :great:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
This is wonderful news.  We will have Olds 3 for Christmas this year.  My kids are ecstatic!  Thanks Dave.

Would be nice...but I wouldn't count it from previous history. Lot's of steps needed to make this happen that quickly, and we all know Topps reputation for delays. All I know is this time around, I am selling off my extra stuff right away. I waited too long, and I can't give away my extra OS2 24 sealed packs and complete sets! My extra packs are going into the Halloween trick or treat bucket this year.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
Would be nice...but I wouldn't count it from previous history. Lot's of steps needed to make this happen that quickly, and we all know Topps reputation for delays. All I know is this time around, I am selling off my extra stuff right away. I waited too long, and I can't give away my extra OS2 24 sealed packs and complete sets! My extra packs are going into the Halloween trick or treat bucket this year.

Hopefully this time we gave you a good reason to open all the packs!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »

Maybe the "old friend" is an original 1967 Ratz in NM condition hidden in one of the packs?

Or how about a Bone Ami?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
I could see Brad waist deep in wrappers.   ;D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »

This is how the famous artist Escher got his inspiration. ;D  Hope I spelled his name right.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Swiski

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:55 AM »

Cool! I love teasers.

anything