Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 272806 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
All these explanations being presented for spending ridiculous money on sketch cards are stock answers that describe the average collector. But not this. $1600 per doodle defies all these explanations. Either these one or two buyers are totally filthy stinkin' rich or they're hobby drunk. If they're filthy stinkin' rich then where where they before the sketch cards? I'm not suggesting an intervention. I'd just like to see more rational discourse about this subject. I know people will collect anything and everything. But let's not casually chalk it up to the average reasons we collect.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »
All these explanations being presented for spending ridiculous money on sketch cards are stock answers that describe the average collector. But not this. $1600 per doodle defies all these explanations. Either these one or two buyers are totally filthy stinkin' rich or they're hobby drunk. If they're filthy stinkin' rich then where where they before the sketch cards? I'm not suggesting an intervention. I'd just like to see more rational discourse about this subject. I know people will collect anything and everything. But let's not casually chalk it up to the average reasons we collect.
I would think you should be able to answer your own question, weren't you a healthy gold seeker?  How did you rationalize that behavior and belief that rather ugly looking cards should be worth hundreds each?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »
I would think you should be able to answer your own question, weren't you a healthy gold seeker?  How did you rationalize that behavior and belief that rather ugly looking cards should be worth hundreds each?

You opinion that gold border stickers are ugly has no value in this discussion.

I didn't build my gold set by paying $200 a sticker. I differed the cost by buying a lot of cases and selling off the extra stuff. I bought a few at the end but the total investment was very small. If I had to pay $200 each to build the set I would never have done such a silly thing. Again, this has nothing to do with paying $1600 for 20 minute sketches.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
You opinion that gold border stickers are ugly has no value in this discussion.

I didn't build my gold set by paying $200 a sticker. I differed the cost by buying a lot of cases and selling off the extra stuff. I bought a few at the end but the total investment was very small. If I had to pay $200 each to build the set I would never have done such a silly thing. Again, this has nothing to do with paying $1600 for 20 minute sketches.

It is obvious you are too emotional about gold collecting to be able to step out of the forest for a minute to see it is the same thing as color sketch collecting.  Since I collect neither, I think I am less emotional about it. 

The reality is that I don't recall any posts from you questioning the rationality of these same collectors spending $10,000 on gold sets(in fact, there are far more posts where you become definant towards anyone who ridiculed gold collecting much like you are ridiculing color sketch collecting). You are questioning the rationality of color sketch collecting all while telling me that my bringing up gold collecting is completely irrelevant.  I would say your logic there is less rational than the chase collectors.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
It is obvious you are too emotional about gold collecting to be able to step out of the forest for a minute to see it is the same thing as color sketch collecting.  Since I collect neither, I think I am less emotional about it. 

The reality is that I don't recall any posts from you questioning the rationality of these same collectors spending $10,000 on gold sets(in fact, there are far more posts where you become definant towards anyone who ridiculed gold collecting much like you are ridiculing color sketch collecting). You are questioning the rationality of color sketch collecting all while telling me that my bringing up gold collecting is completely irrelevant.  I would say your logic there is less rational than the chase collectors.

I don’t know anybody who paid that much for a gold set. I didn’t. The only thing I’m emotional about here is that you won’t stop trying to catch me in a contradiction every chance you get. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
I don’t know anybody who paid that much for a gold set. I didn’t. The only thing I’m emotional about here is that you won’t stop trying to catch me in a contradiction every chance you get. 
maybe if you would stop contradicting yourself, then I would stop "catching" you  :P

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
Again, this has nothing to do with paying $1600 for 20 minute sketches.

I'm guessing the colored ones took Jay longer than 20 mins to do. Those things are miniature works of art. I don't see them as mere "doodles" at all.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2010, 06:58:14 AM »
I'm guessing the colored ones took Jay longer than 20 mins to do. Those things are miniature works of art. I don't see them as mere "doodles" at all.
I agree, have to think that my colored sketch cards took Jay much longer than 20 minutes to create.  The nitwit in particular is like a mini painting.

As for how high they're going compared to Topps Vault art auctions, all I can surmise is that some people limit their collecting to officially issued trading cards.  In that case, this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to get 'original art' on a trading card, as one has to wonder if Jay will agree to such an enormous task again.

I'd have paid more for the Taco Bill art than it just went for, but every time I bid on a unique Wacky item, someone outbids me.   It's very discouraging, and so I didn't even bother this time.  I don't know who won, but I'd love to know what their max was, just to see if I'd have had a chance.  My not bidding definitely saved them a few hundred bucks........
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:24:48 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »

You also have to realize that someone else bid that high for the top bidder to get it for $1600. This could have been purchased for a lot less if others didn't bid that high also. It basically shows you that others think this is valued at $1600 and not just one person.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »
You also have to realize that someone else bid that high for the top bidder to get it for $1600. This could have been purchased for a lot less if others didn't bid that high also. It basically shows you that others think this is valued at $1600 and not just one person.
It is ridiculous to claim that a machine generated colored border created on a set of like 80 stickers is more creative and attractive than a colored "doodle" created by a wacky pack iconic figure like Jay Lynch of an iconic wacky pack character that was distributed as part of a Topps sanctioned wacky packages set.

It cost $10,00(the were easily averaging over $125 per card at the outset) to get a set of gold bordered cards and it cost $1600 to get colored Koduck. 

How can one possible call the buyer of gold bordered cards more rational than Colored sketches?  Here is the reality, it is the SAME BUYER, Leslie(hence why Plan9 telling me gold buying is irrelevant is totally off the mark), and I think BOTH chases are irrational but if I were forced to pick which was MORE irrational, it is clearly chasing gold bordered sets for $10,000. 

Here is how I would rank $10,000 spending if I cared to do so:

1) two $5k original series wacky packages original artworks
2) a very distant 2nd place....(6) colored old school sketches
3) one set of gold bordered flashback stickers

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
I'm sure it took Jay more than 20 minutes to do a color sketch. Maybe an hour. That's not really my point.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

So if three people think something's right then that makes thousands of others wrong?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
Since sketch cards are being classified as "original art" rather than mass produced replications I won't compare them go gold border stickers or any other printed chaser. In many cases they're great little examples of an artists talent. They're delightful samples of characters we love. They're not works of art that require a new concept, days of design and days more to execute. The few who are paying $1000 or more for a sketch need to put things into perspective and realize a modern sketch a card should not be as valuable as a Wacky painting.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
Since sketch cards are being classified as "original art" rather than mass produced replications I won't compare them go gold border stickers or any other printed chaser. In many cases they're great little examples of an artists talent. They're delightful samples of characters we love. They're not works of art that require a new concept, days of design and days more to execute. The few who are paying $1000 or more for a sketch need to put things into perspective and realize a modern sketch a card should not be as valuable as a Wacky painting.

Plan,

I think the issue here is that a few people ARE classifying these sketch cards as a kind of chase card, rather than original artwork.   I first noticed this thinking cropping up with the postcard sets.  Folks wanted to have "one of each sketch".  At that point I started scratching MY head a wee bit, but of course the Old School color sketches take that many times further, at least with a few individuals.

You figured out a way to build a gold set without spending $200 a card, but I'm guessing you put time, effort, and thought into making back your out-of-pocket expenses.  That work and time has a value, too, and some people wouldn't have felt felt it was a worthwhile effort, even if they could have built a set for little cash cost.   You did, and that's cool.   I don't spend crazy amounts of money on my hobby, but I put in the time when I can... I'm sure a lot of people would say I'm wasting my time.

The way I see it, the few individuals ordering dozens of cases (or boxes, in the case of Old School) or spending $1,000+ on color sketches ARE stinkin' rich.. or rich enough... and they've found something they enjoy spending their money on, for a hobby.  

Are we suggesting the few people who want to go hog wild collecting these are dolts?  Or is this merely a discussion of investment value, and how best to spend ones' dollars?  

-J

P.S.  I think a single Old School painting should be "worth" more than a dozen color sketches or even twenty gold-bordered Flashbacks, but that doesn't seem to be the way things would shake out today.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:44:04 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
I never suggested they be ridiculed. Where were they before the sketch cards? Why aren't they bidding up the paintings? They can get a more refined and better known work in a painting than a sketch. Recognition of the character in no way justifies paying thousands for it.

It seems people here just want to look at paying $1600 for a brand new color sketch as the usual every day occurrence. Nothing absurd going on here. I suppose a sketch card is equal to a Cracked Animals. At what point would the price seem absurd? $5000 per sketch? $20,000?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I totally agree with you that valuing these sketch cards over original art doesn't make sense. 

My point is that sketch card chasing is much more similar to gold border chasing so if you are trying to understand the rationale of sketch card chasing, you are half way there as you partook in gold border chasing.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »
I never suggested they be ridiculed. Where were they before the sketch cards? Why aren't they bidding up the paintings? They can get a more refined and better known work in a painting than a sketch. Recognition of the character in no way justifies paying thousands for it.

It seems people here just want to look at paying $1600 for a brand new color sketch as the usual every day occurrence. Nothing absurd going on here. I suppose a sketch card is equal to a Cracked Animals. At what point would the price seem absurd? $5000 per sketch? $20,000?

You might as well study Leslie and Marc as they are the key contributors to both the gold rush and the color sketch stretch(we all know the tall tales of greg having more than 5 people lined up to buy complete gold sets for $14k were as tall as tall tales get). 

Marc seems to value other cool stuff in the wacky pack hobby while leslie seems only turned on by chase cards.  She asked me if I had cool wacky pack stuff available and I mentioned I had uncut sheets, original artwork, Shedd stickers, OPC stickers and other very hard to find original series stuff......she wrote back and said "do you have any old school sketches".  Nuff said, her world is current chase cards probably for the rush.  Is it irrational to many of us...? absolutely. 

Color sketch prices AND GOLD BORDER collecting at the crazy prices and efforts it takes to get them ARE BOTH irrational.  I am still at a loss on how you can speak about one without the other.  You seem overly hung up on the fact that some folks are referring to colored sketches as original artwork.  Jason made the best points, original art is part of the production process and colored sketches are part of the final product.  Different yet similar.

If your point is purely a concern over the classification of sketches as being art, then I think you are best to not mention prices because as soon as you start harping on prices, your point gets lost and the door opens for the irrational behavior and prices related to gold border cards(a previously released Topps CHASE product) to be mentioned.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »
I DO think it's crazy to pay $100-200 a card to build a gold set...unless you have money to burn. Leslie and Marc are probably in that position. But when Brad says he wants to pay $1000 for one of these things I believe he's got the fever. You can suggest I not give a damn but for now I do.

I won't debate whether the sketch cards are art because nobody will ever agree on what art is. As an artist and Wacky collector these cards don't look like art to me. You want to see a sketch card that I consider art? Here's one.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »
I DO think it's crazy to pay $100-200 a card to build a gold set...unless you have money to burn. Leslie and Marc are probably in that position. But when Brad says he wants to pay $1000 for one of these things I believe he's got the fever. You can suggest I not give a damn but for now I do.

I won't debate whether the sketch cards are art because nobody will ever agree on what art is. As an artist and Wacky collector these cards don't look like art to me. You want to see a sketch card that I consider art? Here's one.

I think we collectors all catch the fever in some way, at some point along the way.  If Brad's got it now, well, then he's got it. Your concern, albeit differently stated, isn't all that different at it's core from Paul's concerns about the gold fever.   And I'm talking at the root of the concern, here - Paul felt that the way the golds were produced and marketed got people caught up in the collector-obsessive-fever we're talking about.  What Paul failed to acknowledge, I think, was that a person could actually collect the golds without getting caught up in any kind of mania. 

Honestly, I was kind of happy that people seemed distracted by the sketch cards, and that the paintings weren't getting as much attention.  Baffled - but happy.   My reason:  I figure if I tuck away a little hobby money here and there until the fall, and the same sketch-craze happens for Old School series two, maybe I can throw down and snag an original painting from that series.   I'm happy for the competition to pour their cash into color sketches, leaving less money going for the paintings.   :-)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
I do feel a sense of similarity with Paul right now. The main difference is that I'm not ridiculing collectors. I'm not going to revel and laugh if prices plummet on the sketch cards. I'm just sparking discussion about it and I'll move on.

I'm thinking the same thing about cashing in on paintings while the interest seems geared more towards sketch cards. But for some reason Topps seems to be lagging in getting those art auctions up. There's a few titles I've been waiting months for.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2010, 07:31:11 AM »
There seems to be a lot of discussion about the values of color sketches (over-valued) and art.  Just wonder what the members feel about the black and white sketches?  With the handfull of commons going for about $12-$16 each, do you think that's a good representation of the worth?  Should one that has a quantity of 100 be valued at twice as much as one with a quantity of 200?  Would like to hear some opinions.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »
There seems to be a lot of discussion about the values of color sketches (over-valued) and art.  Just wonder what the members feel about the black and white sketches?  With the handfull of commons going for about $12-$16 each, do you think that's a good representation of the worth?  Should one that has a quantity of 100 be valued at twice as much as one with a quantity of 200?  Would like to hear some opinions.
Price is dictated by the combo of supply and demand.  Demand still seems to be a bit hard to determine.  It appears demand for original series wacky characters, especially series 1, is the highest as titles that are plentiful such as Cap N Crud or Quacker often find a buyer in the $50 or higher range.  I suspect those buyers just want iconic characters and hence I think prices will stablize or even rise for those titles over time.  I have had numerous people ask me to break up my extra lot of 22 different but I think the number of collections like this will soon be far and few between as the single titles get gobbled up by people who don't want all titles.  The market couldn't possible more saturated than it is right now with Leslie dumping all of her supply at once(something she said she wouldn't do but alas I have yet to match up her actions and her words).  Because of this, I would say these prices today would be as low as they will go and I have been tempted to start buying some of these lots.  One thing that could go against all of the above would be as newer wacky series come out, the sketches become unwanted dinosaurs but I just don't see that happening because major iconic characters are represented.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »

I had the fever but now with Topps selling out, I am pretty much done with OLDS. I have sold off most of my doubles and such. Now it's time to move on to the next great thing....
I have all the base sketches except for the cow. I do have a random nitwit and one of the B&W sketches from the poster for my keepers. It was a fun ride! I sold Leslie 160 sketches so she will be selling them for awhile.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
Batz beer - Final art

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2010, 07:47:39 AM »
Price is dictated by the combo of supply and demand.  Demand still seems to be a bit hard to determine.  It appears demand for original series wacky characters, especially series 1, is the highest as titles that are plentiful such as Cap N Crud or Quacker often find a buyer in the $50 or higher range.  I suspect those buyers just want iconic characters and hence I think prices will stablize or even rise for those titles over time.  I have had numerous people ask me to break up my extra lot of 22 different but I think the number of collections like this will soon be far and few between as the single titles get gobbled up by people who don't want all titles.  The market couldn't possible more saturated than it is right now with Leslie dumping all of her supply at once(something she said she wouldn't do but alas I have yet to match up her actions and her words).  Because of this, I would say these prices today would be as low as they will go and I have been tempted to start buying some of these lots.  One thing that could go against all of the above would be as newer wacky series come out, the sketches become unwanted dinosaurs but I just don't see that happening because major iconic characters are represented.

Yes Agreed...especially if for WOS II they ONLY do Sketches representing the stickers in that series and NO Iconic characters..that would drive up the WOS I sketches, specifically the Cap'nCrud, Koduck, etc...obviously this would entail restricting Jay to series characters and not anything that moves him... :P

What about the unopened boxes? Did we ever find a Dr. Ono B&W, Cow, or Paste it Boy?? maybe I missed it?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »
Yes Agreed...especially if for WOS II they ONLY do Sketches representing the stickers in that series and NO Iconic characters..that would drive up the WOS I sketches, specifically the Cap'nCrud, Koduck, etc...obviously this would entail restricting Jay to series characters and not anything that moves him... :P

What about the unopened boxes? Did we ever find a Dr. Ono B&W, Cow, or Paste it Boy?? maybe I missed it?

I don't believe any of those b&W's have showed up so I think the assumption is at this point they probably weren't done.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
I don't believe any of those b&W's have showed up so I think the assumption is at this point they probably weren't done.
The b&w Bubble Yuk cow sketch is on the sketch poster, and at least one showed up, I think it was pretty early on.  No b&w Dr. Ono or Paste-it-Anyplace ever turned up on the forum or ebay, and those are not on the sketch poster.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »
The b&w Bubble Yuk cow sketch is on the sketch poster, and at least one showed up, I think it was pretty early on.  No b&w Dr. Ono or Paste-it-Anyplace ever turned up on the forum or ebay, and those are not on the sketch poster.

Thanks for the correction………I missed the "cow" in there.  I am one of the lucky ones to have a Bubble Yuk.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the correction………I missed the "cow" in there.  I am one of the lucky ones to have a Bubble Yuk.

Well that makes 2 people I know that have the cow. Jay must have only done a handful. Very tough sketch!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
Well that makes 2 people I know that have the cow. Jay must have only done a handful. Very tough sketch!
Who else besides Rob has the Bubble Yuk cow?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »
I often have questions I'm too embarrassed to ask, and usually don't ask them (unless I'm drunk), but WTF, here it goes . . .

Has any trading card company ever released material without telling the public what was released? I don't "get" this, that Topps doesn't tell us what they produced? Am I a complete idiot, or is that just plain dumb? That's not a rhetorical question - if I'm a fool, tell me so, but this whole sketch thing really has be scratching my head....Topps says "COLLECT THIS STUFF" but they won't tell us what titles they made?

Maybe a great marketing strategy - don't tell collectors what was produced - and make them chase chase chase?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:04 PM »
I often have questions I'm too embarrassed to ask, and usually don't ask them (unless I'm drunk), but WTF, here it goes . . .

Has any trading card company ever released material without telling the public what was released? I don't "get" this, that Topps doesn't tell us what they produced? Am I a complete idiot, or is that just plain dumb? That's not a rhetorical question - if I'm a fool, tell me so, but this whole sketch thing really has be scratching my head....Topps says "COLLECT THIS STUFF" but they won't tell us what titles they made?

Maybe a great marketing strategy - don't tell collectors what was produced - and make them chase chase chase?

I don't think the trading card companies are telling anyone to "collect" the sketch cards, as such.  It's only a select few collectors who have decided that there can even be some kind of set build of sketch cards.  Personally, I don't see it that way, but that's just one opinion.

As for your question, off the top of my head, I recall Impel's first Star Trek card series.. I believe it was the 25th Anniversary series released back in the early 1990's.  For that first series, there was no info about chase cards, yet they decided to randomly insert something like one hologram card per case.  So, when we actually pulled one of these, we were shocked.   But in a good way.  It was fun. 

Imagine that, a card series with one chase card.  And no odds printed on the package for them. 

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »
Let's try to keep the sketch card discussions down in the sketch card thread.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Let's try to keep the sketch card discussions down in the sketch card thread.

You started it ;)
Also, many would consider sketch cards as art. I know I do.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:04:46 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2010, 07:02:43 PM »
Who else besides Rob has the Bubble Yuk cow?

Leslie. She paid $500 for it off bay.