Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 272752 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »
Cheddarfield - Old School Final Art
Frisbie - Old School Final Art
Putz - Old School Final Art

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »
I always loved the artwork on these, but the more I see them, the more I appreciate all the
work and love for wackies that went into these!

Really looking forward to Series Two!

wackyone

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2010, 02:48:31 AM »
Spread Bull - ANS 7 Final Art
Pounds - ANS7 Final Art
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:26:44 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

wackyone

« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2010, 08:36:57 AM »
Go for it.......no bids so far!

only if you lend me the money  ;D

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
only if you lend me the money  ;D

ummm...........on second thought it's a little pricey!! 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
I think Plan 9 should be done arguing the high prices these little scribbles on paper (sketches)are generating since he just sold one for $338. Maybe it was because it included the LE PC's with it :D

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »
I think Plan 9 should be done arguing the high prices these little scribbles on paper (sketches)are generating since he just sold one for $338. Maybe it was because it included the LE PC's with it :D
Why should I stop arguing the stupidity of paying ridiculous money for sketch cards just because I sold a postcard set for a meager $338? Nothing has changed in my philosophy. And I never said a few hundred dollars is out of line. I said a THOUSAND dollars or more is out of line when paintings are selling for less. However, I'm perfectly willing to take your money.

Come to think of it, the fact that you characterize my statements as "complaining" means I haven't gotten through to you at all.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

What sketch title went that high? 

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
What sketch title went that high? 
Matt k Tomato sketch
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »
Why should I stop arguing the stupidity of paying ridiculous money for sketch cards just because I sold a postcard set for a meager $338? Nothing has changed in my philosophy. And I never said a few hundred dollars is out of line. I said a THOUSAND dollars or more is out of line when paintings are selling for less. However, I'm perfectly willing to take your money.

Come to think of it, the fact that you characterize my statements as "complaining" means I haven't gotten through to you at all.

No one complains when they make a $300 profit. It's more like a hush.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »
This one wasn't on Ebay, but it sold this Summer for a ridiculously low price ($2,031.50)

[spoiler]Warning, it's a large image. [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1009766074_5mEBK-O.jpg[/expando][/spoiler]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
No one complains when they make a $300 profit. It's more like a hush.
I don't really mean that people are stupid for paying high prices for sketch cards. They're not. I just think there's a very odd imbalance of value in the hobby right now.

$338 was absolutely shocking to me. It was a sealed pack right up until minutes before I listed it. I was going to sell the sealed pack but couldn't bare not knowing if the "wolf on the cloud" sketch was in there. I don't even think I'd get that much for a sealed pack so opening it was a very good move.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2010, 05:18:42 AM »
I don't really mean that people are stupid for paying high prices for sketch cards. They're not. I just think there's a very odd imbalance of value in the hobby right now.

$338 was absolutely shocking to me. It was a sealed pack right up until minutes before I listed it. I was going to sell the sealed pack but couldn't bare not knowing if the "wolf on the cloud" sketch was in there. I don't even think I'd get that much for a sealed pack so opening it was a very good move.

After seeing some of those phase 2 sketches Neil posted, I don't know how anyone kept those packs sealed.  If you had pulled the "wolf on the cloud" sketch, would you have kept it?

That was a very cool H8 sketch you got, and from the beginning, the H8 sketches seemed to be commanding pretty high prices, so I'm not terribly surprised you got such a good price.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:23 AM »
After seeing some of those phase 2 sketches Neil posted, I don't know how anyone kept those packs sealed.  If you had pulled the "wolf on the cloud" sketch, would you have kept it?

That was a very cool H8 sketch you got, and from the beginning, the H8 sketches seemed to be commanding pretty high prices, so I'm not terribly surprised you got such a good price.

I like that phrase "wolf on the cloud".  That should be the phrase we use to describe what sketch could be in a sealed package. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2010, 07:47:25 AM »
I would like to own this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jay-Lynch-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Art-Jolly-Mean-Demented-/250696653842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5eaf5c12

I'm not sure if he's still doing them, but you might be able to get your own Jay Lynch sketch. Check this link out for many other neat Jay drawings:
http://www.wackypackages.org/forsale/jayroughs.html

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:50:00 AM by billf »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
I'm not sure if he's still doing them, but you might be able to get your own Jay Lynch sketch. Check this link out for many other neat Jay drawings:

Why is greg always positioned as Jay's cash register?  For tax purposes?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
Why is greg always positioned as Jay's cash register?  For tax purposes?

My hunch is Greg is making a profit off Jay's sketches. He probably told Jay he will advertise and take the money then send him his cut.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
My hunch is Greg is making a profit off Jay's sketches. He probably told Jay he will advertise and take the money then send him his cut.
I had heard that even if someone were to contact Jay directly to have a personal sketch drawn, that they have to pay through greg.  This would not be a case where greg did any advertising.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
I had heard that even if someone were to contact Jay directly to have a personal sketch drawn, that they have to pay through greg.  This would not be a case where greg did any advertising.

You ask the question like you don't know but then you answer as you actually know.  :icon_shaking:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »

Plan,

You raise a fascinating point - and a good one.  But I think what this illustrates is that all of these "values", imbalanced or not, are pretty arbitrary.  And in the end, no matter how well established a hobby might be, it all comes down to someone, somewhere, just wanting to own the item. 

Of course, this changes as collecting hobbies become well rooted, like baseball cards.  At this point, I question the values of baseball cards (or even comic books) - insofar that it seems to be a large pyramid scheme of people paying certain prices only because they think OTHER people will pay them more (or the same) later on.   I question whether most of those buyers wants to pay to just keep the stuff.  At least at those prices... if that makes any sense. 

You and I see high sketch prices as kind of nutty, in relation to the original painting prices - and you and I have discussed this - I think we agree. 

But I also collect cereal boxes, and candy wrappers - and those items are far more scarce, in a general sense, than even some of the scarcest Wacky Package stickers - yet they are not at all as valuable.  Heck, I've got dozens of pieces that are, as far as my other hobbies are concerned, unique. 

So when I hear about how rare a die-cut is, and how much it's "worth", I do sometimes raise an eyebrow, because when I compare it to many of the items I hunt for - they're EASY.  But my items will probably never sell for nearly what a scarce die-cut sells for.  Because I'm one of a few people who appreciates the stuff, or cares to own it.

So there's a kind of imbalance there, too... but only as far as I see it.  It really comes down to what people want to own, and will spend, doesn't it?   

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »

Are you speculating that Greg is acting as Jay's agent for all Wacky-related sketches?   With Greg having been the webmaster of the main Wacky Packages website for years,  I can see that developing - especially if Jay would rather just deal with one person, insofar as the money part goes.   Do you know this is true?
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2010, 08:37:28 AM »
Are you speculating that Greg is acting as Jay's agent for all Wacky-related sketches?   With Greg having been the webmaster of the main Wacky Packages website for years,  I can see that developing - especially if Jay would rather just deal with one person, insofar as the money part goes.   Do you know this is true?
I'm shaking my head because I was reading this page about 48 hours ago and had pretty much the exact question run though my mind, if a person must go through Greg.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
Are you speculating that Greg is acting as Jay's agent for all Wacky-related sketches?   With Greg having been the webmaster of the main Wacky Packages website for years,  I can see that developing - especially if Jay would rather just deal with one person, insofar as the money part goes.   Do you know this is true?

I don't know for a FACT that it is still true but I contacted Jay direct to do a sketch for my fathers B-day. He told me I had to go through Greg with the payment. This was about 5 years ago.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2010, 03:50:30 AM »
Simian Toes Crunch - ANS 7 original art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2010, 02:40:52 AM »
Pre K - ANS7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09:24 AM »
Killing Croc - Series 6 Postcard art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2010, 04:20:22 AM »
Odor Pops - Old School final art
Stupid Pretzel - ANS 7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2010, 05:20:26 AM »
Jim Mean - Old School final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:29 PM »
Pinkies - ANS7 final art
Fruit Stripped - Old School final art

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
I'd be sellin' anything I won for $666 real fast.

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
BARBASOIL - Old School Art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
BARBASOIL - Old School Art

Trying to steal my gig?

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
Trying to steal my gig?

Not at all…just trying to shave off some time.  ;)