Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 276162 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »
Let's try to keep the sketch card discussions down in the sketch card thread.

Plan,

Since you graciously offered to help document the art auctions, what would you think of this:  Perhaps we should have a thread that only you can post on, with regards to the auction closings - one that is locked from any other members.   Discussion of eBay auctions could be done in another thread, with all of the expected tangents and offshoots that would occur with it.  In that way, we have a thread that is more utilitarian, and informational  - which I think was the original intent of documenting the art auctions.  I'd love to have a thread that could be used to reference the original art auctions, without having to weed through typical discussion.  

Is that a crazy idea?  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »
You started it ;)
Also, many would consider sketch cards as art. I know I do.

Thanks for the help.  

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
Plan,

Since you graciously offered to help document the art auctions, what would you think of this:  Perhaps we should have a thread that only you can post on, with regards to the auction closings - one that is locked from any other members.   Discussion of eBay auctions could be done in another thread, with all of the expected tangents and offshoots that would occur with it.  In that way, we have a thread that is more utilitarian, and informational  - which I think was the original intent of documenting the art auctions.  I'd love to have a thread that could be used to reference the original art auctions, without having to weed through typical discussion.  

Is that a crazy idea?  

Jason, if you are not being sarcastic, we could separate the posts in this topic.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:46 AM »
Has the color Franken Brainy art sold yet?  I don't see it documented here.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:52 AM »
Has the color Franken Brainy art sold yet?  I don't see it documented here.

Yes, that was one of my returns. I sold Franken Brainy, Qreep and Funny Taste. I have BC and Spazzles.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
Yes, that was one of my returns. I sold Franken Brainy, Qreep and Funny Taste. I have BC and Spazzles.
Thanks for the info - I knew Qreep belonged to someone else, and was hoping to have a shot at Franken Brainy.  Guess I'll keep watching, as I'd really like to get a painting from the series.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:08 PM »
I often have questions I'm too embarrassed to ask, and usually don't ask them (unless I'm drunk), but WTF, here it goes . . .

Has any trading card company ever released material without telling the public what was released? I don't "get" this, that Topps doesn't tell us what they produced? Am I a complete idiot, or is that just plain dumb? That's not a rhetorical question - if I'm a fool, tell me so, but this whole sketch thing really has be scratching my head....Topps says "COLLECT THIS STUFF" but they won't tell us what titles they made?

Maybe a great marketing strategy - don't tell collectors what was produced - and make them chase chase chase?

I think this is a rather unique situation with the sketch cards, being that they were done very random, and the fact that each one is technically a "1 off" item.  We as collectors classified the sketch cards but Topps probably doesn't care too much about exact quantities of them.  Plus there may be a legal issue with the odds and such which I believe Dave may have mentioned at some point.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
I think this is a rather unique situation with the sketch cards, being that they were done very random, and the fact that each one is technically a "1 off" item.  We as collectors classified the sketch cards but Topps probably doesn't care too much about exact quantities of them.  Plus there may be a legal issue with the odds and such which I believe Dave may have mentioned at some point.

Mike from Topps Vault had said at the Philly show that he would get us a list of sketch quantities.  Now that they're sold out, maybe we'll get it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
Mike from Topps Vault had said at the Philly show that he would get us a list of sketch quantities.  Now that they're sold out, maybe we'll get it.

It would be nice but I think we would have had them by now.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
Peepers - color art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2010, 08:12:07 PM »
Speed Lick - bonus card art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »
Peepers rough

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2010, 02:54:07 AM »
Hickory Fools - final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »
Bacteria - Old School final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
Booze on Tap - Old School art

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
Booze on Tap - Old School art
Wow, good to see these are finally starting to hit some good sell prices, $1600 is pretty damn good!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
I was amazed to see the final selling price for this art by Dave  ;D.... I find it interesting that the " Gee Your Hair Smells Horrific " sold I believe last week for a fraction of this piece. It makes me treasure my " Batz " that much more.
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »
Wow, good to see these are finally starting to hit some good sell prices, $1600 is pretty damn good!

I think people are voting on popular titles with their dollars

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
There are a couple of erroneous statements being made here. One is that GYHST sold cheap recently. GYHST sold several months ago and I paid $1300 for it. The second is that prices for art are based on popularity. Collectors of Wacky art are a small minority. So their tastes, popular or not, will cause prices to go up. So far, prices for art are not jiving well with the vote list ratings.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
Speed Lick - bonus card art
Speed Lick is back up on ebay.  The seller is probstein, and he's listed it as a BIN for $625.  

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »
Speed Lick is back up on ebay.  The seller is probstein, and he's listed it as a BIN for $625.  

Why would someone buy this to have a consigner resell it for them?

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
If you noticed the seller probstein has a lot of Topps Wacky stuff for sale now on ebay( TONS) Makes you wonder????

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »
If you noticed the seller probstein has a lot of Topps Wacky stuff for sale now on ebay( TONS) Makes you wonder????

A ton of items and many have outrageous prices!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
A ton of items and many have outrageous prices!
I skip right on by his auctions, paying no attention to them whatsoever.  Didn't someone here(Marc?) say they met him in person and went to his house?  Did he have all of this stuff or is he a clearing house for someone?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »
Probstein is selling all the wacky stuff MickandDadCollectibles purchased from the Toppsvault.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2010, 04:31:47 AM »
Little Trash - Old School final art

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »
Probstein is selling all the wacky stuff MickandDadCollectibles purchased from the Toppsvault.

Ok. Now I understand whats going on. I have been wondering about this guy for some time now. His outrageous prices now make more sence to me if he is trying to sell off MickandDadCollectibles stuff. Completely off the scale on his prices for sure. He is "listing" a ton.....not sure how much "selling" is going on though.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
Bark - Old School final art

Dave Gross painted the Old School art on thin floppy paper so these things are extremely delicate.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
Project 19 original art. Nice to see another Old School painting that received a fair price.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
Project 19 original art. Nice to see another Old School painting that received a fair price.
This is one of my faves from this set, glad to see it got that recognition with the art price!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
I agree, at first it didn't leap out at me, but the more I looked at that Wacky over the months the more it became a favorite.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »
Maulboro final art

It didn't sell for a great price. I expected a bit more for a cigarette gag but I think the lack of gag material makes it less desirable. The sketch card of the grumpy smoking dog sitting on the cloud would have been fantastic on the front of this pack. The butts are very nicely illustrated.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »
Maulboro final art

It didn't sell for a great price. I expected a bit more for a cigarette gag but I think the lack of gag material makes it less desirable. The sketch card of the grumpy smoking dog sitting on the cloud would have been fantastic on the front of this pack. The butts are very nicely illustrated.
WELL I NEVER BEEN...........GETT'EM WACKY WOLF
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
Neil's wolf in a cloud is an awesome image! Easily my favorite sketch he's done.

In the original gag concept, the wolf was a werewolf. I wonder if a monster Wacky would have bumped the price up a little.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »
Alpha Bytes - final art

anything