Author Topic: Forum Navigation and Karma  (Read 6604 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Forum Navigation and Karma
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:53 AM »
Everyone. Some may not know this but you can navigate around the forum with the hyperlinks above the topic box. It looks like this:
Wacky Packages Forum > Wacky Packages Discussion > General Wacky Packages Discussion

Just click on the link to bring you back to the previous list.

Also you may have noticed Karma by your name. This is to give someone karma for a good post or bad karma for a distasteful post. You can only leave karma once you have had 5 posts on the forum and then after that you can only leave anyone a karma every hour. This is to prevent over use of karma. Pretty fun. It will be interesting how people use karma and it could turn into some type of rivalry :)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
Re: Forum Navigation and Karma
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »
I never even thought of that! :'(
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:25:38 AM »
Also on the bottom of each page is a "go up" button that will take you to the top of the posts to get you to the navigation.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
Nice job Brad. This Karma idea sounds pretty good. I'm not sure the wild west concept makes for a good forum. Maybe the karma thing will be a positive influence.

Mark
(the artist formerly known as Plan9)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »
Nice job Brad. This Karma idea sounds pretty good. I'm not sure the wild west concept makes for a good forum. Maybe the karma thing will be a positive influence.

Mark
(the artist formerly known as Plan9)

There you earned a +1  :-*

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
Also on the bottom of each page is a "go up" button that will take you to the top of the posts to get you to the navigation.
[/   quote] Brad.....I am not sure about the "go up  go down" using the "go down" won't i probably be reading first, someones response to a previous post,instead of vice-versa.Any chance for a "new" message link that would take us to the new messages for a particular thread?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
[/   quote] Brad.....I am not sure about the "go up  go down" using the "go down" won't i probably be reading first, someones response to a previous post,instead of vice-versa.Any chance for a "new" message link that would take us to the new messages for a particular thread?
Yes, the go up and go down will do just that take you to the top or bottom. On the bottom you also have a quick jump to dropdown if you are finished with the thread. The default is the forum you are in. You just need to hit the go button.
I have the treads set to 50 pages before it starts a new page. I can change that if you like but I think we should just keep it here for now.
I am still looking to see if there is a mod to remember the thread you left off at. I know of no other forum that does that other then Greg's.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:19:49 AM »
Brad..... what are some of the reasons your forum is not setup (the layout) like the other forum? I mean the messages in any thread I am scrolling all of them each time,till I get to something I havn't already read!!! As far as I can tell the up and down only allows one to get to the bottom or top quickly,if you go to the bottom you will most likely being reading someones reply to a post,before you read the post that prompted  the reply.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:01 AM »
I dont see any  blue triangles ,however I do see thumb tacks and padlocks? I see blue ovals

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:10 AM »
Is there a way to continue reading where you left off in a thread after responding to someone?  The 'new' oval no longer showed for that thread, and I had to scroll through the whole thing to see whatever had come after the message I responded to.  What did I do wrong?

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »
I'M just finding out::: click on the "new" blue oval and this will take me wear I left off:::::::KEWL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »
Is there a way to continue reading where you left off in a thread after responding to someone?  The 'new' oval no longer showed for that thread, and I had to scroll through the whole thing to see whatever had come after the message I responded to.  What did I do wrong?

You have done nothing wrong. You just need to make an adjustment to your profile settings. Make sure you have this checked 'Return to topics after posting by default." It's under look and layout preferences. There is a bunch of stuff you can modify. You can even check if you want to do quick replies.
Try it out and let me know.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:04:00 AM by BumChex »

anything