Author Topic: Toops Vault EvilBay ANS8 white back auctions  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Plastered Peanut

Toops Vault EvilBay ANS8 white back auctions
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:48:48 PM »
Who in the hell keeps scooping up all the ANS8 white back auctions?  I just want ONE for Christ's Sake!  This hobby is filled with way too many Gluttons who have to have everything.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline lucidjc

Re: Toops Vault EvilBay ANS8 white back auctions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
Who in the hell keeps scooping up all the ANS8 white back auctions?  I just want ONE for Christ's Sake!  This hobby is filled with way too many Gluttons who have to have everything.

I hear you dude, i am in no way a completest. I like 1 or a few of things. I did manage to get 1 for a good price. The first few went cheap, now they are going for stupid money. I put a bid in on the Eelios, i was away from home so i put a larger than normal bid to feel comfy i would get it....I lost  :'(

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:57 PM »
Who said anyone has to be a complietist? Its not a reasonable expectation with the golds. I totally agree having a couple examples in your collection should be fine. I only have one ANS7 golds and I'm fine with that. If you need to show off your collection to a friend you can show an example

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »

I also feel your pain, in a general sense.  But even if each of these went to a different person, that's still a pretty exclusive club.  And still leaves a LOT of people out of the mix.  Even if they only wanted to own one.  So, by their nature, a lot of someone's get to be left out - gluttons or no.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want it bad enough, you gotta bring the cash to win it.  If one person has enough to get them all, that's their joy to have.   My hobbies have evolved as my interests have evolved, but they've also evolved when I was priced out of certain things or certain areas. 

I suppose it's possible we've pushed people in other directions, when WE have outbid them on certain auctions.     
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:36:53 AM »
Who said anyone has to be a complietist? Its not a reasonable expectation with the golds. I totally agree having a couple examples in your collection should be fine. I only have one ANS7 golds and I'm fine with that. If you need to show off your collection to a friend you can show an example

I don't think just because someone considers themselves a completist means they have to have everything.  For example instead of trying to get all of the golds you could get one example for each series.  You still have a goal of getting one per series, which is still a completist mentality.  
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
I don't think just because someone considers themselves a completist means they have to have everything.  For example instead of trying to get all of the golds you could get one example for each series.  You still have a goal of getting one per series, which is still a completist mentality.  
It appears Brad knows every angle of every collector's mindset and his definitions are the only acceptable ones.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
It appears Brad knows every angle of every collector's mindset and his definitions are the only acceptable ones.

No, I'm just trying to be rational. The old days of collecting everything is in the past but it seems like most of the old time collectors still think they can do it or totally abandon everything. It seems like it's all or nothing with you guys. I don't get it. Have fun collecting. If you can't get everything it's still OK. You will still be able to build sets but the odds on some of the chase stuff is just too tough. You have to get over it.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
No, I'm just trying to be rational. The old days of collecting everything is in the past but it seems like most of the old time collectors still think they can do it or totally abandon everything. It seems like it's all or nothing with you guys. I don't get it. Have fun collecting. If you can't get everything it's still OK. You will still be able to build sets but the odds on some of the chase stuff is just too tough. You have to get over it.

Telling long time collectors to "Get over it" isn't good for business.  We've already lowered our expectations and "complete" standards several times.  I get that you don't collect like the rest of us.  But, that doesn't make the rest of us wrong, or crazy, and doesn't give you the right to tell us what we should want just because you don't agree.  So, now we're expressing our reactions, and buying a boatload LESS product than we did before.  I'm sure Topps will "get over that", but I'm afraid it will be by cancelling new Wackys.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:47:41 AM by RawGoo »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
Telling long time collectors to "Get over it" isn't good for business.  We've already lowered our expectations and "complete" standards several times.  I get that you don't collect like the rest of us.  But, that doesn't make the rest of us wrong, or crazy, and doesn't give you the right to tell us what we should want just because you don't agree.  So, now we're expressing our reactions, and buying a boatload LESS product than we did before.  I'm sure Topps will "get over that", but I'm afraid it will be by cancelling new Wackys.

I hope Topps isn't telling collectors to "get over it". 

This really does come down to, in my opinion anyway, something that is a big question in modern trading cards and stickers; that question being "Are ultra-limited chase cards, or mail-order only specials (as these Topps Vault white back stickers are) ultimately good or ultimately bad for the hobby?" 

I don't think there's a terribly easy answer.  I'm not a chase-card chaser, but I try to look at how they work.  If you make it too easy, many people hate it, and call common pieces "swill" no matter how cool they are.   So, there's a balance that must be achieved, within the contemporary marketplace, of creating these limited run items, and how they fit within a set.

That said, it's not Topps' fault that Plastered is frustrated, in this instance, at least not the way I read his post.  It was one high-spending collector, who was simply outbidding everyone else on these blank-backed cards, and frustrating all other bidders, Plastered included. 

If Topps makes hundreds of each of these blank-backed cards, so everyone can get a shot at one, does Plastered still want them?  Does anyone, when they've become so "common"?  I don't know, but I don't think these types of limited run releases hurt overall sales.  I hope they don't. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
I hope Topps isn't telling collectors to "get over it". 

This really does come down to, in my opinion anyway, something that is a big question in modern trading cards and stickers; that question being "Are ultra-limited chase cards, or mail-order only specials (as these Topps Vault white back stickers are) ultimately good or ultimately bad for the hobby?" 

I don't think there's a terribly easy answer.  I'm not a chase-card chaser, but I try to look at how they work.  If you make it too easy, many people hate it, and call common pieces "swill" no matter how cool they are.   So, there's a balance that must be achieved, within the contemporary marketplace, of creating these limited run items, and how they fit within a set.

That said, it's not Topps' fault that Plastered is frustrated, in this instance, at least not the way I read his post.  It was one high-spending collector, who was simply outbidding everyone else on these blank-backed cards, and frustrating all other bidders, Plastered included. 

If Topps makes hundreds of each of these blank-backed cards, so everyone can get a shot at one, does Plastered still want them?  Does anyone, when they've become so "common"?  I don't know, but I don't think these types of limited run releases hurt overall sales.  I hope they don't. 

As a purchaser of many of these over the years..I don't think this hurts business at all..its a different segment for a DIFFERENT Collector - Greg G once called the blank back cards total SWILL and chastised Topps for thying to sell them for 10X+ what an original sticker would go for...that said..it seems one person wants to collect all of them, ANS8 Blanks, at whatever the price...once he's sick of them he will either keep them forever or try to sell them back - and it will be at much lower prices I can assure you of that - seen it before...pick your desired collecting choice and "GO FOR IT"
Where do you think that "Probstein" guy came from...

I remember during ANS6 & ANS7 that these were only desired by maybe 3-4 collectors and I could pick them up for $11-$15 a piece..now its the flaovr of the week...go figure...

Offline dth1971

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
I thought this thread was talking about an unused Wacky Packages ANS web site spoof called "Evilbay"!