Author Topic: What the hell are these?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Bladerunner

What the hell are these?
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
My dad bought a few ANS8 packs from a gravity feed box at Target. In three of these packs there was one of these "things" in the picture. Exact same size as a sticker, completely white on each side with a gray piece of adhesive in the center. No other writing or markings of any kind. I tried to get as much info as I could. He does not remember if this "thing" replaced one of the 8 stickers that should have been in the pack as he did not count them. Nor does he remember exactly whether it was in the middle or at the end of the stack or cards. He also said this "thing" did not damage the card next to it in any way.

What the HELL are they?

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
Re: What the hell are these?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
My dad bought a few ANS8 packs from a gravity feed box at Target. In three of these packs there was one of these "things" in the picture. Exact same size as a sticker, completely white on each side with a gray piece of adhesive in the center. No other writing or markings of any kind. I tried to get as much info as I could. He does not remember if this "thing" replaced one of the 8 stickers that should have been in the pack as he did not count them. Nor does he remember exactly whether it was in the middle or at the end of the stack or cards. He also said this "thing" did not damage the card next to it in any way.

What the HELL are they?

They are anti-theft devices, if they are not demagnetized at checkout it sets off the alarms when you go through the doors to leave....they are almost always on cd's and dvd's.

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »
But inside sealed packs? That's not unusual?

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »
But inside sealed packs? That's not unusual?

I think it's a recent development with cards - last couple of years. They showed up in ANS7 wackies last year.
Target has a flat 1" square thing stuck on a blank card, and Walmart has the thicker rectangular strip (like you get in CD/DVD cases) stuck on a blank as well.

also - it's an extra card in the pack (does not replace a sticker) and it's usually in the back of the pack

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
Interesting. I guess that kind of throws a wrench into the process of pack searching.

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
I had 3 packs that I purchased at Target that it replaced an insert card   >(

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
Interesting. I guess that kind of throws a wrench into the process of pack searching.

I doubt it. Pack searchers have their ways????? those of which i do not know. I dont want to know...I also dont want them to know.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »

I noticed they must not be as concerned with individual pack theft, since they are not in each pack, as stopping someone from trying to carry the box out.

A related but off-topic comment.... BLADERUNNER is currently showing on SyFy. Director's Cut.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:51:56 AM »
A related but off-topic comment.... BLADERUNNER is currently showing on SyFy. Director's Cut.

Which director's cut? The 1992 director's cut, or what Ridley Scott considers to be his true director's cut - The Final Cut from 2007. There are so many versions of this film...the original theatrical release, the international release, the above mentioned cuts, and - in my opinion - the best version of all, The Denver-Dallas Workprint. It's available on the 5 disc DVD boxed set. As film historian Paul Sammon puts it, "the grittiness of the workprint's presentation is a perfect compliment to the dystopian future it depicts."

Yes, there are some things I love even more than Wackys....

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:26 AM »
Which director's cut? The 1992 director's cut, or what Ridley Scott considers to be his true director's cut - The Final Cut from 2007. There are so many versions of this film...the original theatrical release, the international release, the above mentioned cuts, and - in my opinion - the best version of all, The Denver-Dallas Workprint. It's available on the 5 disc DVD boxed set. As film historian Paul Sammon puts it, "the grittiness of the workprint's presentation is a perfect compliment to the dystopian future it depicts."

Yes, there are some things I love even more than Wackys....

This was the 1992 cut. I have the box set, but haven't been through all versions yet.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)