Author Topic: ANS8 Roughs  (Read 25053 times)

Offline DrSushi

Re: ANS8 Roughs
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
I submitted the first rough and was told they liked the title but didn't want the can to be eating people, they wanted the can being eaten.
Not sure why, but I reworked it and it came out just fine. Brent did the final.

(Image removed from quote.)

I kind of like the "bite" of your original concept, but the reworked title is top-notch as well. That's impressive to be able to come up with two variations of such high quality!

Thanks again for posting these.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
I kind of like the "bite" of your original concept, but the reworked title is top-notch as well. That's impressive to be able to come up with two variations of such high quality!

Thanks again for posting these.
Awesome

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »
Thanks for posting all of these.  This is great seeing the three images that make up the process!

In reality, there's another... a preliminary pencil drawing that the painter does before he paints.

There's a few more like that where they liked the title but wanted the gag changed. I'll be sure to post them.

On this one, I gave the kid a striped shirt since the straw on the product was striped. I like how Brent moved the kid's arm up so it's at the same angle as the straw. He even did the silly stuff in the side!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
In reality, there's another... a preliminary pencil drawing that the painter does before he paints.

There's a few more like that where they liked the title but wanted the gag changed. I'll be sure to post them.

On this one, I gave the kid a striped shirt since the straw on the product was striped. I like how Brent moved the kid's arm up so it's at the same angle as the straw. He even did the silly stuff in the side!

This is a great Wacky!!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
On this one, they asked me to change "Naste" to something else. The thing is, I didn't really want to use Naste in the first place (because of the Lost Wacky Nastee Crush) but I couldn't think of anything better. I never resubmitted a different word and didn't know if it was accepted or changed until I saw a preliminary checklist. Painted by Brent, of course. Maybe he'll tell me why he changed the font of the "a" in Naste.  ;)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

I look forward to seeing those.

I noticed that he also slightly altered your rough on "Grenades and Ham" to more closely mirror the original. The pig's tail is extended to be more like the hand  - sticking out just beyond the backside, and the back legs are positioned just like the original character's (what is that character's name?). In addition, he stood the one grenade upright to mimic the fork sticking out of the ham. He's got a great eye for these things!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:02:30 PM by DrSushi »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »
This was also painted by Brent. "Blowberry" was changed to "Blewberry" which makes sense, being a homophone and all. And it sounds less dirty, too.

I sure am enjoying these posts! It is really nice to see the product, the rough, and the final art, all together in a single image.

A "homophone"?! I want to Google the word to discover it's meaning, it but am 'Fraid to . . .

(Sorry, that is so last series)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »
I sure am enjoying these posts! It is really nice to see the product, the rough, and the final art, all together in a single image.

A "homophone"?! I want to Google the word to discover it's meaning, it but am 'Fraid to . . .

(Sorry, that is so last series)

I confess I had to look it up and I'm glad I did because I almost wrote homonym. A homophones are word that are pronounced the same but have different meanings.

Here's another one where they liked the title but wanted a different gag. They thought this one would work better as a hand buzzer gag. While technically it's not the finger that buzzes, I think they were right and it became a better gag. Brent painted the final.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
I noticed that he also slightly altered your rough on "Grenades and Ham" to more closely mirror the original. The pig's tail is extended to be more like the hand  - sticking out just beyond the backside, and the back legs are positioned just like the original character's (what is that character's name?). In addition, he stood the one grenade upright to mimic the fork sticking out of the ham. He's got a great eye for these things!

Yeah, he even included the little butt crack! (I don't think the character has a name.)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
I confess I had to look it up and I'm glad I did because I almost wrote homonym. A homophones are word that are pronounced the same but have different meanings.

Here's another one where they liked the title but wanted a different gag. They thought this one would work better as a hand buzzer gag. While technically it's not the finger that buzzes, I think they were right and it became a better gag. Brent painted the final.

I think the gag on this one would have worked better if the kid was handing the guy the candy bar. With no candy in sight he's just shaking hands.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »
Yeah, he even included the little butt crack! (I don't think the character has a name.)

I missed that. I also missed all these years that the nameless character was naked.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
I think the gag on this one would have worked better if the kid was handing the guy the candy bar. With no candy in sight he's just shaking hands.

Yeah, I can see your point. The idea was that the candy would be hidden like a joy buzzer.

Here's one that was painted by Bunk. He almost always makes changes. He changed the contents of the box from burglary tools to stolen goods. As a result, it changed my favorite gag... "PRIZE inside" to "PRIES windows."

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
Here's a rough that Dave Gross saved. It was originally not chosen for ANS8 but then Dave asked me if I could submit for the Pack to the Future set he was painting. The gags had to reflect what Wackys would be like in the future. I had a few roughs that I realized would work with minor tweaks. The bottom tag line was originally "Unnaturally inedible" so I just changed it to "Hey, real food is scarce!" and it fit the theme. Dave found a different box design. (Life has multiple designs based on the size on the box.) I like the recycling symbols he added to the cereal and the laughing Quaker.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:38:16 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
I can't tell who painted this one.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »

I assume that means you cannot ascertain who painted it rather than you cannot divulge who painted it  ;). English is subtle and prone to misunderstandings...  as we like to prove over and over on this very forum.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:19:20 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »

That's Bunk. The super tiny lettering is a dead giveaway.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
That's Bunk. The super tiny lettering is a dead giveaway.

Thanks, that was my guess but the dudes didn't look like Bunk characters to me.

With the popularity of Silly Bandz, I wanted to get a parody accepted. I did roughs for Chilly Bandz, Soily Bandz, Silly Tanz, Silly Brainz and they finally accepted Silly Bangz. And it's not as dirty as it sounds! Brent did a, ahem, bang-up job on the painting.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »
Topps wanted me to add the lines "If you look like a" and "then get." It was originally just about the marshmallow being muscular. Brent painted the final.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:58:26 AM by Gurgle »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
This one was based on a cartoon I did. Loren (Bustedfinger on the forum) saw it and suggested it would make a good Wacky. Good thinking! I think Jason painted this, too.

Mark - I'm glad to see that I contributed to a Wacky series in some small way.  I remember the cartoon you posted on Facebook.  You should post that cartoon again here.

I wonder how many kids know who Picasso is?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »
Mark - I'm glad to see that I contributed to a Wacky series in some small way.  I remember the cartoon you posted on Facebook.  You should post that cartoon again here.

There are a couple LOONEY TUNES cartoons that refer to Picasso paintings. As long as LOONEY TUNES live on in repeats, Picasso will at least be a name our younguns have heard.

When I think about it, Looney Tunes taught me a lot about geography, history and film stars of 1940s and 1950s flicks. At least to the point I was was familiar with some people and places I would not learn about in school until much later. That and that ducks bills are almost indestructable and can always be re-secured after a direct shotgun blast to the face.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:53:42 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »

Mr. Picasso Head is a great Wacky!

With Picasso’s Pizza pubs and restaurants in many states, I hope kids don’t associate him with Italian cooking

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Mark - I'm glad to see that I contributed to a Wacky series in some small way.  I remember the cartoon you posted on Facebook.  You should post that cartoon again here.

This is the original cartoon:

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
This originally wasn't chosen but then I made the jailbird bigger and meaner and added the file and it seemed to make the difference. Another one painted by Brent.

Offline Crust

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
This is the original cartoon:

Tha's a great cartoon, and I think it's great how it inspired a wacky pack!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
Dave Gross worked on the Wacky DVDs subset and deadlines were looming so he asked me to tackle a few titles. I was honored to be asked. This one came out great. Of course, Dave painted it.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
I decided to do a rough with Jerk or Moron or something because I don't seem to do those kinds of gags and they are a Wacky tradition. I submitted Almond Jerk. I liked the idea of taking it literally with the almonds being the jerks, but they wanted a human jerk... which is the Wacky tradition, after all. Brent did the sweet painting.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
I decided to do a rough with Jerk or Moron or something because I don't seem to do those kinds of gags and they are a Wacky tradition. I submitted Almond Jerk. I liked the idea of taking it literally with the almonds being the jerks, but they wanted a human jerk... which is the Wacky tradition, after all. Brent did the sweet painting.

Now that's a Wacky!!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
Usually I'm not given titles, but Jeff really wanted "Call of Doody" as a Wacky and asked me to tackle it. At first I cringed, but I was surprised how easily the gags fell into place. Brent did his usual great job on the painting and I like the touches he made with the plunger, etc.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »
Usually I'm not given titles, but Jeff really wanted "Call of Doody" as a Wacky and asked me to tackle it. At first I cringed, but I was surprised how easily the gags fell into place. Brent did his usual great job on the painting and I like the touches he made with the plunger, etc.

I wish the copy on the bottom said "Blecch Oops" instead of "Black Oops"

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »
This is another one that was rescued by Dave Gross. It was originally submitted for a postcard but wasn't used so I submitted it for ANS8. Dave included it in the Pack to the Future subset he was working on. He changed some of the gags and removed "Take Me To Your Eater" as I guess that's a gag that was already used on Mallomartians. The box became a spaceship because of the alien invasion we can all expect in the future.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
This is another one that was rescued by Dave Gross. It was originally submitted for a postcard but wasn't used so I submitted it for ANS8. Dave included it in the Pack to the Future subset he was working on. He changed some of the gags and removed "Take Me To Your Eater" as I guess that's a gag that was already used on Mallomartians. The box became a spaceship because of the alien invasion we can all expect in the future.

One of my absolute favorites!   Thanks again for posting all of these.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline dth1971

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

Would this had been great if CALL OF DOODY wasn't bathroom related and had 1950's kid TV show Howdy Doody as the CALL OF DUTY soldier on the Wacky Package?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »
Would this had been great if CALL OF DOODY wasn't bathroom related and had 1950's kid TV show Howdy Doody as the CALL OF DUTY soldier on the Wacky Package?

I think the Howdy Doody gag would have been great! The soldier's hands on the box are in the perfect position to look like Howdy's hands lifted by strings.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
The Howdy Doody gag would actually have been pretty funny. I doubt kids today would have any idea who Howdy Doody is, but older people would get a laugh. But Topps was looking for bathroom doody.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I still have a handful left. Not of doody...

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
As soon as I came up with the title, I knew it meant kangaroos. I looked up what kangaroos ate and was hoping for something specific but it's basically just vegetation so I vaguely filled the pouch with that. I think it works way better with the meatballs that Brent put in there. I originally did not have the kangaroo hopping but Topps asked me to add that but the final has her standing anyway.

anything