Author Topic: ANS8 Roughs  (Read 25061 times)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
ANS8 Roughs
« on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post these so I decided to start the new thread. Here's one that was fun for me to draw. Jason Edmiston did a great job and stayed very true to the rough.

Offline Gurgle

Re: ANS8 Roughs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
This was one of my favorite ideas and I generally spend more time on the roughs when I'm enthused. Jason also painted this one. Very slick.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:04:38 PM by Gurgle »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post these so I decided to start the new thread. Here's one that was fun for me to draw. Jason Edmiston did a great job and stayed very true to the rough.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's a great way to see the new titles - thanks!!

I liked this one a lot before ("Good Source of Fear" got me), but seeing it with the current box really brings out how well the product was really captured.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
This one was based on a cartoon I did. Loren (Bustedfinger on the forum) saw it and suggested it would make a good Wacky. Good thinking! I think Jason painted this, too.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
I keep wondering if I should have changed the "1,2,3" to "3,2,1." Jason painted this one. He stays pretty true to my roughs and, as you can imagine, I like that!

I'll post more later.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »
Hawaiian Pants cracked me up when I first pulled it. Jason is a huge talent. This guy is an amazing painter. His characters look so realistic. WOW!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
This was one of my favorite ideas and I generally spend more time on the roughs when I'm enthused. Jason also painted this one. Very slick.

Mark, any idea how many Jason painted for this series?  I really like his stuff.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
I keep wondering if I should have changed the "1,2,3" to "3,2,1." Jason painted this one. He stays pretty true to my roughs and, as you can imagine, I like that!

Thanks for posting these, I love to see the roughs (even if I haven't seen all the Wackys yet, I couldn't hold off checking out this thread). This is a truly wonderful group of gags, and the art really does the concepts proud. Hawaiian Pants cracked me up, and Mr. Picasso Head is marvelously clever. Hats off to Jason on the Dr. Pester character - reminds me of a classic '50's doctor.

Keep 'em coming!!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
Thanks, for posting, Mark!  Always fun to learn about the behind the scenes stories.  It does bring up a question, though.  How does Topps determine which artist does which roughs?  Do you get any say in who paints the roughs you do?  Is it completely random?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
I agree with you guys about Jason.

I generally have no idea who is going to paint what. At one point, Jeff told me some of my concepts were being painted by Jason and Brent but that was a much as I knew.

Here's another. I submitted this for a postcard set but Jeff saw it and claimed it for ANS8. I think this is the last one of my roughs from this series painted by Jason. I thought "Dig In" was a nice touch. I was hoping the toilet handle would remain.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:41:50 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
Brent painted the final to this rough. I think he painted the majority of the series. He always does a great job and usually stays pretty true to the rough. With the differences in the design, I'm sure he found a more current can. It can be hard to keep up with how often labels change.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »
Here's another. Brent painted this one.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:26:20 PM by Gurgle »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »
Here's another. I think Brent painted this one but someone will let me know if I'm mistaken.

When I see this card I think it says fellatio. I hope that didn't offend you ;-)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
In my entire life, I don't think I've ever been offended by fellatio.  8)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »
This is another of my favorite roughs. I used to love this book as a kid. Brent did a terrific job with the painting. I did see he changed "Bam I Am" to "Ham I Am." I figured Bam I Am would refer to Sam I Am who would be the one supplying the grenades, even though the picture shows The Cat in The Hat. It gets complicated...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
When I see this card I think it says fellatio. I hope that didn't offend you ;-)

To quote the Rockman from "THE POINT", "We see what we want to see and we hear what we want to hear".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf0y9xlouJ1qzue2w.jpg
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »
This was originally submitted for the Halloween postcards but wasn't accepted. I later submitted it for ANS8 and it made the cut. Brent painted the final.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:25:33 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
This was also painted by Brent. "Blowberry" was changed to "Blewberry" which makes sense, being a homophone and all. And it sounds less dirty, too.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »
Mark, Brent updated his blog with his ANS8 work, confirming which ones he painted. You and Brent made a great team on this set!

http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com/

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
Mark, Brent updated his blog with his ANS8 work, confirming which ones he painted. You and Brent made a great team on this set!
http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Fred! And great link, thanks. I guess it kinda worked out that Brent and I were a team of sorts but we never actually corresponded! I felt lucky to get a bunch of concepts accepted, but I did work my butt off. So, of course, I'm buying tons of ANS8.

This one was painted by Bunk, I'm pretty sure. He generally makes changes. "Top of the food pyramid" was a nice touch. I'm not sure why he changed 133 BC to 5000 BC. I researched Tutankhamun and his rule began in 133 BC.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
Mark, you really came up with some great ideas and titles for this series!

I'm never surprised at your great work, and I'm still chuckling at
Mr. Picasso Head, Grenades and Ham, Skittish Fish and the rest.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
Mark, Thanks for taking the time to post these. I really appreciate being able to see them this big. Helps with the old eye strain ya know :great:

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
Thanks, all. When I did this tough, I was worried kids might not know what "Livid" means. Brent did his magic on the final.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
This is a rough I did in the tradition of Drunken Donuts and Dukin' Donuts where the donuts are all characters. I felt fortunate this one was accepted as they already had Dumpin' Donuts. I guess it was OK because that one was for coffee. I also felt fortunate when I saw this was chosen for a puzzle. Brent did a bang-up job.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
I submitted the first rough and was told they liked the title but didn't want the can to be eating people, they wanted the can being eaten.
Not sure why, but I reworked it and it came out just fine. Brent did the final.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
This was originally rejected for ANS7 but accepted for 8. Go figure. I wanted to see this product parodied because it was a staple in our house when I was growing up. This was painted by Bunk.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »
This was originally rejected for ANS7 but accepted for 8. Go figure. I wanted to see this product parodied because it was a staple in our house when I was growing up. This was painted by Bunk.

I love how the artwork captures the essence of the vintage 1st series Wacky Packages. It fits right in!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
I like parodying products that haven't been Wackys before. Each ANS is a mixture of new ones and repeats, as they are conscious of making sure very popular products are in each series, and very popular products have generally been parodied before. When I did this rough, I wasn't sure the product was popular enough. I felt young people knew this product, but I wasn't sure the older people at Topps would be aware of what's popular with young people. They have a better handle on that I thought, as I will mention later. This one was painted by Brent.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:10:17 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Sometimes titles seem so obvious once you think of them, like this one did for me. There are lots of versions of Trivial Pursuit so I looked until I found a box I thought would work best. I'm not sure who painted this one, Bunk I think.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 05:58:38 AM »
There seems to be a bunch of Bunk on this thread
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Never drink the stuff myself but since it's popular with kids, Jeff suggested it might be a product to tackle. Brent painted the final.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
Mark, thanks for sharing these. I love seeing how the artists take your rough and completely enhance the characters.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
This one was painted by Brent.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »
Yet another one of my roughs painted by Brent.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »
Yet another one of my roughs painted by Brent.

Thanks for posting all of these.  This is great seeing the three images that make up the process!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:19:54 AM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

anything